ADV Weeks 22-23

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

ADV Weeks 22-23

Unread post by Marie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:04 am

Adventures in MFW Weeks 22-23

Heather (WI)

Week 22: Adventures web site

Unread post by Heather (WI) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:03 pm

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:34 pm

Just found this on the Crayola site--good for "Adventures" users (about week 22):

http://www.crayola.com/activitybook/print.cfm?id=1285

LA in Baltimore

Re: Weeks 22-23

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:06 pm

Week 22...
ALABAMA: Sweet Potato Pie
We didn't have time in our schedule this week to complete the homemade Sweet Potato Pie Recipe in the TM, so we bought Bruce's Sweet Potato Pie Filling in the baking aisle of our store.
We only had to add eggs and evaporated milk. We bought prepared (frozen) pie crusts.
It took about 5 minutes to prep and 45 minutes to cook.
Another new food that EVERY child in the house was willing to try. I think they have a vested interest in the food when they just studied the state and they are much more open minded about what foods they might like! ;)
If your week looks hectic...don't skip the activity...it's worth the time!

mgardenh

Book suggestion for when studing Maine.

Unread post by mgardenh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Book suggestion for when studing Maine: The book is called One Morning in Maine By Robert McCloskey. It has the same people as Blueberries for Sal

[book basket week 23]
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

Freckleface78

Re: ADV Weeks 22-23

Unread post by Freckleface78 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:08 pm

My son loves learning with as much media as is available. I found a CD by Jonathan Sprout called American Heroes #3 that has a song we love about George Washington Carver. It's #6: Peanut Man http://www.amazon.com/American-Heroes-3 ... 657&sr=8-2

CaseyVG

Re: ADV Weeks 22-23

Unread post by CaseyVG » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:01 pm

For the sweet potato pie recipe in week 22 (Alabama), I made it dairy free and it was awesome! I just used equal amounts of almond milk in place of the evaporated milk, and used Earth Balance Vegan spread instead of the butter. Everything else was the same. It was great. And if you need a simple pie crust to make from scratch, this is my mother-in-laws: Flour, half that amount of shortening, half that amount of milk (or almond milk). (so 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup shortening, 1/4 cup milk, makes enough for 1 large bottom crust).
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

Walkerfam6

Heads-up for soda bottle science experiment!

Unread post by Walkerfam6 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:03 pm

Just a heads up for those who choose to do the experiment on page 24 in First Encyclopedia of Science in week 22. To avoid a HUGE flood, do not fill the bowl full with water like is shown in the picture. Make sure you have enough room left in the bowl for two liters of water to be displaced from the water bottle. I don't know why I followed the pictures without thinking, but the water from the bottle does have to go somewhere if you replace it with air from your lungs. In our case, we had about a liter and a half of water all over our school table and everything (including books) got soaked...lol! It was a lot of fun for our boys though, and we had a good laugh about the mess.
Better yet, this would be a great experiment to try in the bathtub :)
Mom of DS1(7), DS2(6),DS3(4) and DS4(10 mos).
Using Adventures in US History for my 1st and 3rd graders and loving it!