ADV Weeks 20-21

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

ADV Weeks 20-21

Unread post by Marie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:04 am

Adventures in MFW Weeks 20-21

Heather (WI)

Week 20: Adventures video

Unread post by Heather (WI) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:02 pm

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:34 pm

We just checked out the "America Rock" (School House Rock) video from the library yesterday, and it goes GREAT with "Adventures" (especially after you have covered the first 20 weeks or so).

There are several of the songs starting with the birth of our country, the Revolutionary War, the Declaration of Independence, westward expansion, great inventors (like Eli Whitney, Thomas Edison, and even Robert Fulton!), the Constitution, our government, etc.!!

It's a fun way to summarize all we've been learning this year!!

Ariasarias

Westward Journey Nickel Series

Unread post by Ariasarias » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:59 pm

I didn't know this, but just found it today in looking for info about the Louisiana Purchase and Thomas Jefferson.
The new nickels from 2004-2006 commemorating the Louisiana Purchase and the westward journey of Lewis and Clark.
You can find more info at
http://www.usmint.gov/kids/coinNews/wjNickelSeries/.
It will be fun to review what we've learned with our pocket change!! :)
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

Margaret Schrock

Week 20 - Louisiana notebooking

Unread post by Margaret Schrock » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:20 am

TurnOurHearts wrote:In week 20 of ADV, we're instructed to "make page for Louisiana Purchase." I'm assuming this means to do a summary sheet with my son?
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:50 pm

We enjoyed stories about Sacagawea so my children drew pictures of canoes on the water and my daughter added people to her's. I know it's not really Louisiana but we also learned about the Louisiana Purchase and it fit for us.

angelsoup

Unread post by angelsoup » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:21 am

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:36 pm

We wrote a summary sheet. We wrote something like - In 1803 President Thomas Jefferson bought the Louisana Territory from Napoleon Bonaparte for fifteen million dollars. This purchase more than doubled the size of the United States.

There were other facts, but they actually wrote and EDITED their own summaries this time around. We used the long sheet with the pictures around it. I think they titled it The Louisana Purchase.

We had lots of fun with Louisana. We had Cafe Au Lait with Beneigns (spelling) for breakfast, the red beans and rice. We also learned about Mardi Gras and why we won't be attending it. Then we had a King Cake for dessert and everyone wanted the peice that had the baby in it.

Have fun!

nehschooler2three

Unread post by nehschooler2three » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:21 am

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:17 pm

When we did this we did it just like the other pages we'd made for our history notebook. I made a copy of the full blank sheet of writing paper in the index (towards the front) and had my ds tell me what he learned. I wrote it into a couple sentances and he copied it neatly on this page.

His says " the Louisianna Purchase was bought by Thomas Jefferson for 15 million dollars. This purchase doubled the size of the United States and allowed us to send our ships out to dea from the Mississippi River." Then we put it in our history notebook. We've made similar pages for Eli Whitney, George Washington, The american colonies, benjamin Franklin, Pilgrams, Jamestown, etc.

I think earlier in the manual, there were more detailed instructions such as the instructions for week 10 on Thursday.
Jill

mrsfields

ADV--Louisiana

Unread post by mrsfields » Sat May 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:16 pm

We just got done with Louisiana and the project was making Red Beans & Rice. I was not going to do this because I know that my little darlings would not want to eat this. But we were having a church potluck that week and the theme was to bring a new dish. Needless to say I brought Red Beans & Rice. It was fun and I even got a couple of compliments!! Thanks for the recipe MFW!!!
TammyB wrote:I grew up near New Orleans, so red beans and rice is normal fare to me. I'm making it whether my kids eat it or not! :) Yummy! :)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:59 pm

I just wanted to point out something on the Indiana State Sheet.

At the time the MFW state sheets were printed, the information about time zones and daylight savings times was accurate. But, laws change....

Regarding figuring out What Time is it in Indiana? Indiana now observes Daylight Savings Time in all counties. However, not all of Indiana is in the same time zone. Most of the state is in the Eastern Time Zone. Some parts are in the Central Time Zone. This changed in 2006.

Not a big deal, except for those of us in Indiana.

and, it's Purdue University in case that typo wasn't corrected in your version of the state sheets. <grin>

-crystal

doubleportion

Red beans

Unread post by doubleportion » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:08 pm

I grew up in New Orleans and would like to submit a more authentic family recipe that can be made spicy or not.

Red Beans:

1 lb red beans rinsed 3 times
Soak in water overnight covered with a few bay leaves.
Cook over low heat in crockpot. Adding water as needed until very soft (takes most of the day)

Once beans are soft. Saute seperately in a large pot:
(until onions are clear)
2 c. diced ham
2 c. diced onions
4 cloves garlic minced
2-3 sprigs parsley chopped
1 bell pepper diced
2 stalks celery diced
(optional) cayenne pepper to taste

Pour Vegetable-Ham mix into pot with beans and cook for ½ hour longer. 20 minutes before serving added generously sliced smoked sausage. Serve over white or brown rice.

:)Yummy!
Edie

LA in Baltimore

Re: Weeks 20-21

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:59 pm

LOUISIANA Cooking Idea...
If you are pressed for time, you don't need to skip the cooking project!
Most grocery stores sell New Orleans Style Mixes.
We used the one for Jumbalaya (I believe they even have one for Red Beans and Rice) and added some canned chicken that we had on hand. It took 5 minutes to prep and about 20 to cook.
Everyone enjoyed it!