ADV Weeks 14-15

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

ADV Weeks 14-15

Unread post by Marie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:05 am

Adventures in MFW Weeks 14-15

Julie - Staff

Science - Protecting birdfeeder from wildlife

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:48 pm

JoyfulDancer wrote:We set up the birdfeeder (Adv) about a month ago, and since then we've not only enjoyed the birds, but we've constantly battled animals who wanted to eat the food, squirrels and deer being the worst offenders. They jump and they chew through everything we've tried.

For a while it was great to see all the different birds coming to eat, but now we just see empty feeders and those nasty squirrels! Can anyone give us some advice? How can we feed the birds but not the other wildlife?

Thanks,
Laurie
Posted by Julie in MN » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:07 pm
My mil lives in the country & has wonderful birds in the summer. They tried a lot of things (even running the electric fence around the pole!) before coming up with a solution.

She uses a shepherd's hook pole which is probably designed for holding plants -- she bought the tallest one she could find. They placed it in an open area, away from the house or trees. Then they add dabs of car grease here & there up the pole. None of the animals up there seem to like car grease :o)

Julie

Posted by Suzq » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:48 pm
Maybe you could try a squirrel baffle. I am guessing you can get one at Walmart. We have one and we do not have trouble with the squirrels. If they jump on it, they slide off. We do have electric fence around our perennial garden to keep the deer out. It sounds like you have a lot of wildlife and that is fun!

tabby

Robin's nest question

Unread post by tabby » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:00 am

amelasky wrote:It says that you need 2 large Shredded Wheat biscuits. I'm assumming that this is just to Shredded Wheat cereal??? Two squares of it?
Yes, you are right! It's just the large shredded wheat ones.

We did not have any when we made our nest, so we substituted chow mein noodles. Worked fine.
Tabatha :)
2011-2012: RTR - dd 10, ds 7
Enjoying our 6th year with MFW

LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:52 pm

We did use regular shredded wheat.
It was a pricier cereal, but my husband and some of the children enjoyed finishing the rest of the box.

If you are not a shredded wheat fan you might want to get a generic box of small-size shredded wheat and crush them up.
cbollin wrote:Lots of recipes on the 'net for it that seem to say it was about 10-12 of the small size ????
-crystal
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

amelasky

Unread post by amelasky » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:59 pm

I had to let you know that we did find the Orginial box of Shredded Wheat at our small town grocery store. I was really a bit more than I expected $3.99, but man was it worth it! The look on my dd's face when I opened the first "packet" of cereal was priceless. She couldn't believe that was really cereal.

Our nests are "chilling" in our refrigerator right now. I personally cannot wait to eat one. I am a big fan of chocolate and peanut butter! She is a little worried about actually eating it though.

Can't wait to show daddy tonight. He's going to love it.

Activities like this are just another reason why we LOVE MFW!
Annie
Married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 18years. Blessed momma to my princess (14) and little warrior (10).
Exploration to 1850

LA in Baltimore

Re: Weeks 14-15

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Ideas for Maryland...

1. "The Star-Spangled Banner" was written in Baltimore during the War of 1812.
Any book about "The Star-Spangled Banner" would be good for Book Basket this week.
We found many to choose from at our local library.

2. Maryland has a State Dessert...Smith Island Cake.
Your children will think it is a great idea to make one... :-)
It has 9-11 layers with icing (and crumbled up candy) between EVERY layer.
Note: The recipe we have (online from a Smith Island Cookbook) says you can also add crushed up candy on top of each layer of frosting, except the top layer. That could add up to 9 candy layers to the cake as well as the 10 frosting layers! :)

3. Maryland is also home to the southern side of the Mason-Dixon Line.
It was surveyed to settle the boundary line questions that arose between Maryland and Pennsylvania.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore

LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:49 pm

Soda Bottle Bird Feeder...

Being located where it doesn't get really cold until at least December,
we waited to do the Soda Bottle Bird Feeder until about Week 20.

This requires us to only be diligent with it until the weather warms up again.
Just thought I'd throw this out for anyone else who doesn't do bird feeders on a continual basis.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore

TarainTransit

Unread post by TarainTransit » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:58 pm

I have an allergic child, so I used honey instead of peanut butter for making the edible bird nest. This worked fine. Someone had also mentioned to me using caramel.

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:52 pm

Great book for South Carolina

A Sweet, Sweet Basket by Margie Willis Clary

Summary: "Keisha is fascinated by the sweetgrass baskets Grandma weaves and sells in her roadside stand. When Grandma agrees to teach her how to make her own basket, Keisha learns much more than just basket weaving. She learns about her family's great heritage."

Nice story to include with South Carolina.

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:56 pm

Great book for Baltimore and Maryland.

Aunt Flossie's Hats (And Crab Cakes Later) by Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:25 pm

I did a search for a favorite song of mine, from when I was growing up in a very patriotic school. I found a wonderful web page. It's great for New York, Statue of Liberty day.

http://www.my.homewithgod.com/mkcathy/i ... tatue.html
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

jasntas

Re: ADV--week 14-15 minor typo in some copies

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:17 am

hleemba99 wrote:I can't figure out week 15, where it says in the materials section to gather things for the suet feeder (TH). But then there is no reference to using Birds, Nests and Eggs on Thursday in the TM notes or the grid, so I'm a little confused. Can someone explain? Thank you.--Helen
I was looking at the TM last night and noticed that the suet feeder is actually mentioned in week 14 on Wednesday under the "Activity-Decorate a Tree for the Birds" listing. I think the suet was suppose to be mentioned in the week 14 materials list not week 15 and on Wednesday not Thursday. HTH
Lucy Robertson wrote:We have made a note to the author so that in the next revision it will be corrected. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Lucy
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

meleacherie

Re: ADV Weeks 14-15

Unread post by meleacherie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:40 pm

" A day in the Life of a Colonial Indigo Planter" by Laurie Krebs was great for the day on South Carolina! My kids enjoyed learning about this young lady and how important she was to the forming of indigo plantations in South Carolina. They loved learning about indigo and how dye was made.

trinabambina

Unread post by trinabambina » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:10 pm

I found a great book for New York! "Lady Liberty: A Biography" by Doreen Rappaport Tavares - the story of the Statue of Liberty is told from a first person perspective from many different people who had a part in Lady Liberty coming to New York. I loved it so much, we are going to buy a copy! Illustrations are great, story is great, lots of good reference materials in the back. Can't wait to go to New York and see her for ourselves!
Trina
Wife to Steve for over 23 years
Mom to Sweet Girl 10, Jalapeno 8 & Pineapple 7.

CtG 2011-2012++
ECC - 2010-2011
Adventures - 2009-2010
MFW 1st Grade - 2008-2009
MFW K - 2007-2008

doubleportion

Re: Great book for Maryland

Unread post by doubleportion » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:35 am

My dd was given a book for her birthday from some friends of ours who are originally from Maryland and Pennsylvania. It is called Katie And The Lemon Tree by Esther Bender. You can find it here:http://www.estherbender.com/lemonTreeSeries.htm The story line is based on historical facts about the author's ancestors, so it would be historical fiction with a factual base.

It is a great story about a woman and her husband who immigrate to America from Germany and settle in Maryland. It is a sweet story of the emotional and physical challenges these immigrants faced and the faith in God that they had that kept them going. It would be a great book to read when you get to Maryland in ADV. It is 95 pages and the chapters are short. It would be a great read aloud for the family or for your middle reader to read on their own. There are many phrases listed in German but the English translation is immediately listed below. We've all enjoyed reading it and hope to get more of this author's books in the future. She has a nice writing style.

Edie

DianeR

Unread post by DianeR » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:58 am

After my husband bought green grapes for us (at 3.99 a lb!!!), my daughter decided that the green grapes were not close enough to Robin's egg blue. So she came up with another idea that worked. She suggested dipping large marshmallows in food coloring (I used mostly blue with a little bit of green and then a little water and then tossed the marshmallows in it). I then let them chill alongside the nests in the fridge. They came out a beautiful color and looked great in the nest.

DianeR

Unread post by DianeR » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:02 pm

I wish I looked before I made the edible nest and saw the suggestion of honey or caramel instead of peanut butter. I have one child that doesn't like chocolate or peanut butter so we tried butterscotch chips. It worked but it might have stayed together better with something stickier...