ADV Week 12, including Bird Study + State Sheets

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.

wifeof1mom25

Bird library book we enjoyed

Unread post by wifeof1mom25 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:59 pm

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:56 am

Hello all:

This is our third year with MFW and first with adventures. We have really enjoyed our education on birds this year. We found a great book at the library the other week that has been a nice addition to the end of our year. Great pictures and a fun rhyming story.

It's called "Counting is for the Birds", by Frank Massola, Jr. Enjoy!

Heather in Ohio

Amy in NC

Book suggestion on states

Unread post by Amy in NC » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:03 am

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Tammy,
I used a National Geograpgic book called Our Fifty States. It has info about each state (about 3-4 pages/state). We enjoyed it because it had some nice pictures of monuments & parks, etc. I saw that it is listed in the ECC TM under the USA study. I liked having the book on hand all the time to be a resource. It made a great book basket book as well.
HTH
Completed MFW K, MFW 1, & ADV
Enjoying ECC

eandski

Great Website for Adventures - States & Birds & Am &

Unread post by eandski » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:09 am

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:52 pm

This is a wonderful site I stumbled across.... States and Birds and more...

http://www.kidzone.ws/geography/usa/

Enjoy

Blessed Beth

Birds website

Unread post by Blessed Beth » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:12 am

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:06 pm

Here is a great website for Adventures' study on birds:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBi ... .html#fig1

We had a lot of fun making our bird nests this week and watching the birds eat out of our soda pop bird feeder. My ds said the best part of making the bird nest was getting messy!

Enjoy!
Wife to David, Mom to Michael (1999) and Stephen (2001)

JoyfulDancer

NJ books we found

Unread post by JoyfulDancer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:32 pm

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:30 am

Since we live in NJ I was able to find quite a few good books about New Jersey. Here are some we really liked:

* Blackbeard the Pirate and Other Stories of the Pine Barrens, Larona Homer (great book with interesting stories and legends about NJ)

* This time, Tempe Wick?, Patricia Lee Gauch (humor, legend, a colonial girl fights off mutineering soldiers)

* The Girl on the High-Diving Horse, Linda Oatman High (a young girl visits Atlantic City and sees the high-diving horses)

* Abigail Takes the Wheel, Avi (An I Can Read Chapter Book)

* One we haven't read yet but looks interesting is Close to Shore, the Terrifying Shark Attacks of 1916, Michael Capuzzo. It looks very advanced, more like something I'll maybe read myself and then pull parts out of to tell. Could be good for a shark lover.

I just want to say once again how great MFW is!!! We are having such a great time. My dds are loving the state pages and book basket books. Well, enjoy, and blessings to you all as you adventure through My Father's World.

Laurie

claraskids

Unread post by claraskids » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:55 pm

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:16 pm

Today was Pennsylvania, so we spent time drooling over the Hershey World website. DD was planning transportation, calculating costs, and planning how to spend each day there. Sounds like a lot of learning to me. Hmmm, wonder if we could make her dream trip a reality in the future?

MFW-Julie/Archiver

Bird guides?

Unread post by MFW-Julie/Archiver » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:39 pm

Fenni wrote:Would it be helpful to have a book about the birds specific to our state?
Posted Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 am by cbollin
For the states:
We were fine with just using the Birds book that is the basic package. It had enough birds that we commonly see. Might not be the case everywhere. Then you could just grab a children’s book from the library that would help with identification. Check the book basket listing for some helps on that. (I know several are listed in weeks 12 and 14 in basket list)

When you do the State Sheets and the birds with each state, you might find it helpful to go to this Sticky Thread in the Adventures Archive
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=330

For the quick unit on Bible-Bird Study:
We just looked at some pictures on the 'net. I tried using a site with a web cam of an eagle's nest. But gave it up :) Thought about a quick trip to the state park nature center but we didn't do it. hmm....... nice day for a review style field trip??? thanks for the idea :)

Posted Sat May 10, 2008 9:07 am by Willow
My older dd is a bird enthusiast. If you think your children would benefit from a bird guide for your state or area, and it's affordable, I encourage you to get one. You might want to check your library first so you can see which guide(s) you like. We found a bird guide that is specific to our city! It is nice to have for nature walks.

cbollin

Adv. peach cobbler recipe

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:27 pm

shawnswife wrote:We are scheduled to make peach cobbler tomorrow for Adv and I have what seems like a silly question :). The recipe calls for oatmeal. Does this mean the dried oats or make up the oatmeal and use that? It seems to me it would be dried oats, but I would think they would have put dried oats in the recipe instead of saying oatmeal. Can anyone help me?
Thanks!
Jennifer F.
It's Dried, uncooked oats. Purpose is to make the topping.
We used quick 1 minute variety.

yum

-crystal

Laura D.

Great Backyard Bird Count

Unread post by Laura D. » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:33 pm

I thought this might be a fun activity for many. It begins tomorrow.

"Nature fans throughout North America are invited to join tens of thousands of bird watchers for the 12th annual Great Backyard Bird Count on February 13-16. A joint project of Cornell Lab of Ornithology and the national Audubon Society, this free event is an opportunity for families, students, and people of all ages to discover the wonders of nature in backyards and local parks. It also provides an opportunity to make an important contribution to conservation.

Volunteers take part by counting birds for at least 15 minutes on one or more days of the event and reporting their sightings online at www dot birdcount dot org. The data help researchers understand bird population trends across the continent — information that is critical for effective conservation." (Copied from the Apologia newsletter - I edited the web address b/c I'm not sure what we're allowed to post.)

There is a lot of information on this site about identifying birds in your area and a few online activities for children. There is information on how to report your findings, a section for educators with additional activities, reports from previous years, etc.

We're hoping to spend time bird-watching over the next few days!
Laura

705emily

State bird and flower cards

Unread post by 705emily » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Michele in WA wrote:What do you do with the state bird and flower cards other than use them as a guide when coloring the state sheets? Did any of you do something really creative with them?
I loved them--so I glued/taped two of them facing forward on the back of a clear 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of plastic film. Then I hole-punched them and put them in dd's U.S. Notebook. We would file one completed state sheet, then the clear film sheet with the two attached cards, then the other state sheet. In other words, I filed the film sheet with two state cards between the two state sheets depicted on the cards. It worked out well!

Irmi Gaut
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

Jami

Re: State bird and flower cards

Unread post by Jami » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:06 pm

My son has a separate history binder and I put all of his papers into page protectors. I stick the state flower/bird card inside the page protector covering the little map that is on it at the bottom. My son knows where the states are very well so this doesn't bother him. I'm interested in hearing any creative things that the others might do with theirs.
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

DS4home

Re: State bird and flower cards

Unread post by DS4home » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:47 pm

After asking this question before, I decided to do something different than what was suggested. I know that we aren't scheduled to memorize the state capitals until next year (1850 - Mod), but I figured why wait? So here is what we are doing:

After completing the state sheet, I have them turn the picture card over and write the capital and two letter abbreviation on the back. Then we just read over them each time we add a card to our stack. I hold up the front of the card that has the state name and they shout out the info they wrote on the back (if they remember). We do this in a fun way with no pressure, and I give lots of hints. Some days it's easy to just have them quiz themselves in the same manner.

I don't know how MFW has us doing the memory work on this next year, as I don't have next years manual yet. But I figured we would be that much ahead of the game if we can at least get familiar with the first bunch that we are introduced to this year.

Just another idea on a way to use them, as they are just too nice to discard !!

Dawn
Celebrating our 27th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(8/9th).

2017: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

mommccoy

Re: Week 12

Unread post by mommccoy » Thu May 14, 2009 9:19 pm

A fun state bird book: "United Tweets of America" by Hudson Talbott (50 state birds, their stories, their glories)

A public school friend of mine saw this book on her Scholastic book list and got it for me as a gift because she knew we were studying states and birds.

The "Big Bird" (a bald eagle) narrates the book and introduces "the fine feathered Americans who represent this great land..." Each page shows an illustrated (and mostly accurate) drawing of the state bird. They are often shown comically in an interesting part of their state. For instance, the Nene is surfing in Hawaii with a lei around his neck. My kids are enjoying reading the funny quips and unique and interesting state facts. The end of the book shows all the birds singing "God bless America... and crown thy good with birdyhood..."
A very fun and unique book that offers some fun learning.

meleacherie

Re: ADV Week 12

Unread post by meleacherie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:33 pm

The website was good.

We bought the "United States Coloring Book" from Rod and Staff. They are cheap and are wonderful! They show each states birds, flowers, resources, industries, etc. Hope someone else enjoys them!!!

Julie in MN

State Sheets

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:49 pm

tiffany wrote:We started our state sheets today. I either missed it or it hasn't been covered yet, but are we supposed to do something special with the cards, besides use them for coloring detail. Do you detach them and put them in a card box, keep them together...?
Tiffany,
I think that is their main purpose.

As an extra, there's a card with some activity ideas included in the set.

I know I've read about folks who have come up with some good extra ideas. It looks like they might be under Adventures week 12.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: State Sheets

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:17 am

what if you found a way to use the use the cards and make your own field guide? Save it for warmer weather -- such as when you are in the final weeks of eX1850 and doing the Nature Journal in the Botany book while doing your own State Report? you might go to state park/botanical garden/zoo, and look for different flowers and birds. Make some kind of note when you find many of them. Play a pretend game of "just how states can we visit from our in state field trip?"

I remember the year we did EX1850 that at the end of year academic fair in our town, we used several of the bird/flower cards to decorate our display board. So, maybe you can decorate some walls in your "classroom". It could be done in alphabetical order as you decorate if you have younger kids learning alphabet. Or it could be make an ongoing map outline collage.

-crystal

4Truth

Re: State Sheets

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:47 am

Oohh, I just thought of another idea, too. Maybe get some of those page protectors that are designed to go in binders for photos, negatives, or slides? I've seen different sizes... I bet there's something that the bird and flower cards would fit into nicely. It's been a while so I could be wrong, but there isn't info on the back sides of the cards? I'd hate to cover/hide that info by pasting them to something. I remember thinking the same thing about the presidents cards that went into their notebooks.... so I had them copy some of the pertinent info on the page, and my oldest even copied the presidents' signatures. (Can you tell she's the artsy one in the family? 8[] )
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

cbollin

Liberty bell on state sheet- Adventures

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:43 pm

Rox wrote:I've been unable to locate the small picture of the liberty bell to be found on the Pennsylvania state sheet as directed in week 12 in the TM. Will please someone explain this to me. My TM was purchased this summer 2010.
thanks, Roxanne
I'm thinking it is a print error from the older editions that didn't get removed and you're the first to ask about it over here so that it can be fixed. the US Dover coloring book was used before MFW had finished making the MFW state sheets. I'm thinking the liberty bell picture was on the Dover book page (if I can dig up my copy of that book, I might be able to confirm that.....). But there is no liberty bell pic on the MFW state sheet that I can see on my edition of the state sheets.

so, they'll fix it by adding a pic of the LB , or removing the sentence.

but, you can still goggle an online image of "liberty bell picture" and just see a picture on the screen. maybe even print it and file in the notebook. And a coloring page was one of the first few hits on my search.

Or just do the fun thing in the manual.

hope that helps.
-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Liberty bell on state sheet- Adventures

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:00 pm

cbollin wrote:Or just do the fun thing in the manual.
My dd loved that activity. We even packed her tin foil Liberty Bell and brought it with us when we moved across the country.

OK, I reread the TM (again) and found the text that mentions a small picture. There is no picture. Funny that I never noticed that before. I wonder what we used as a model for making the bell? Probably the encyclopedia.

I'm really not contributing anything to this thread! :-) But at least now I agree that the TM says to look at a picture that doesn't exist. Looking through the TM again has got me thinking that it may be fun to use that Thanksgiving unit this year, though . . . . hmmm . . . . (hi-jack; no need to respond, I'm just thinking . . . . )
2016/17: AHL
completed: MFWK, MFW1, ADV, ECC (twice), CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850MOD

Rox

Unread post by Rox » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:43 am

cbollin wrote:yep. they'll fix it and future users will never know they have Rox to owe thanks to for catching it. Rox Rocks!
-crystal
LOL!!! I don't know about Rox Rocks.......I'm just glad to know that I'm not missing something. It's easy enough to find an example LB to view. Now.....off to make another cool craft that will not make me crack! MFW ROCKS!!!!
Rox, wife of a Godly man and mother of two boys.
We are thrilled to have used MFW for many years. Thanks to God for blessing our family through homeschooling with MFW!!!

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:31 am

Dear Ladies,

Thank you for pointing out this error to us. I have noted it so that in the next printing the author can make the corrections.

Blessing to you all,
Lucy

cbollin

state cards

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:34 pm

kacairo1 wrote:For Adventures:
Has anyone done anything extra with the state cards once the student has colored the state sheet? Posted them in a creative way? etc?
well, it wasn't a creative way. We did our notebooking pages, put a few on kitchen wall. next time we came to a state, we took old one down, put it in history notebook. put next one up.
but that was in EX1850/1850MOD.

We keep the bird/flower cards out and just fiddled with them sometimes. sort by flower, sort by bird, count things... nothing creative or great.

Julie in MN

Re: state cards

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:11 pm

We weren't very creative at our house, but I've read lots of ideas around here. Try these...

Several ideas here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 698#p49698

The ideas are hidden within these posts, but I noticed some interesting ones on my search:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 988#p76988
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 249#p70249
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 314#p58314

I thought there were more I had read, but
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

kacairo1

Re: state cards

Unread post by kacairo1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:08 pm

Thank you!! I think I'll take some of those suggestions. I'm thinking about putting a single hole punch on the left side and putting them all on a ring for easy flipping. I like the sorting idea with birds/flowers and keeping it handy for a trip to the zoo, etc.
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen