ADV Weeks 6-7

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

ADV Weeks 6-7

Unread post by Marie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:07 am

Adventures in MFW Weeks 6-7

More ideas might be found in other areas of the board:
Canoe http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 830#p79830

kellieMI

Pioneers in Michigan

Unread post by kellieMI » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:06 pm

I would highly recommend Paddle to the Sea by Holling C. Holling during this week. It is about a boy who makes an Indian in a canoe and sends him out into Lake Superior. He travels through all 5 of the Great Lakes and your kids can follow along in the book and their own maps. It was at our library. My boys LOVED this book! Enjoy.
Kellie, wife to Matt
Jacob (7) Mason (5)
ADV and K

Daisy

Week 6 - dairy

Unread post by Daisy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:01 pm

We are on week 6 and reading about cows, New Amsterdam, etc. The fair is in town!! So I took the kiddos down to the fair and they were able to see the dairy cows and even try their hand at milking. Very cool! We also have a farm nearby that allows visitors to come. You might look into something similar that week.

claraskids

making butter

Unread post by claraskids » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:52 am

It took us two weeks to cover week 6 as I ended up in the hospital. However, we had a really neat experience with the butter activity.

My mom has been staying with us until I can get back on my feet. She remembers making butter, milking cows, straining the cream, etc. So she had wonderful memories to share with my dd. What a way to add to the learining! We were shaking our cream forever, but not making a lot of progress towards "butter". At one point, my mom opened the jar and became all excited. Turns out we had made whipped cream instead! She quickly added a little vanilla and sugar, mixed it up, and gave each kid a spoon. We had a wonderful treat straight from the jar!

So even though we never did make butter, it was still a wonderful experience. My mom enjoyed reliving part of her childhood, and the children learned that the end result can be different but still correct.
Just wanted to share our cute story.
mother to dd11, ds7, ds5.
Adventures 07/08
ECC 08/09
Creation to Greeks 09/10
Wrapping up CTG and soon to start RTR, also doing Kindergarten

Renai

Bread chemistry video

Unread post by Renai » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:31 pm

There are free science videos available on newtonsapple.tv. We are studying bread, and they have a video called Bread Chemistry! I had just found it as dd was checking on the yeast experiment. It was great reinforcement, and only about 5-7 minutes long. Not boring, great humor. You can find it here: http://www.newtonsapple.tv/video.php?id=1285.
Renai
Wife to Enrique
Mom of two dd- 9/99 & 1/11

Bilingual homeschool
2004-05 SL
2005-2012 MFW
2012-2013 K12
2013-2014 dual-language charter
2014-2015 MFW Ancients/young'un- MFW preschool, reading books

http://creativeplaybilingual.blogspot.com/

Julie - Staff

Butter Making Experiment

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:48 pm

MattsMom wrote:The directions were to shake for 15 minutes....probably right around the 12 minute mark the contents felt pretty solid with just a little liquid squishing around....and then all of a sudden the entire container was like all liquid again - what happened?

When our 15 minute timer went off I opened the lid and there was a blob of solid in the middle surrounded mostly by liquid. No one is this family was brave enough to try that blob out and see if it was butter - not even me! There was nothing in the directions that stated to drain excess liquid and enjoy the butter!!!!

So, what did we do wrong?
Melissa
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:17 pm
Author: dhudson

It takes awhile for the butter to form. It probably took more than 20 min for us. I had to shake vigorously for 5 min after the kids were finished It was good when we ate it.

Good Luck,
Dawn

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:41 pm
Author: kellybell

Throw a couple of clean glass marbles in the jar and it will help speed up the process. So, find some old marbles and wash them up and throw them in.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:56 pm
Author: Ariasarias

Ours did not turn out in K and we followed the directions too.

This year in ADV we shook it a whole lot longer than 20 minutes and it tasted great!! We were sad when it was all gone :).

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:58 pm
Author: ssjcjensen

After whip cream [that Clara came up with] comes the butter. You will have liquid left, that is the buttermilk. My kids loved it. To speed up the process of shaking. I used a beater for a couple of minutes then put it in the glass pint jar to shake.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:16 am
Author: MattsMom

We finally achieved success with this one, thanks to everyones responses. The fifteen minutes were not enough, it took a little more than twenty!

However, I will tell you that we had the same experience. The contents of the container felt solid which I assume was the whip cream stage mentioned by several of you. Then they turned liquid again just before becoming solid and turning into butter. The longer we shook the more butter formed and the less liquid.

I can't explain this, but it happened every single time we tried this, even the last time when we ended up with very yummy butter that I ultimately ruined by over salting...so be careful with that salt shaker!!!!

Thanks,
Melissa
Last edited by Julie - Staff on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dena in ms

alternate idea for napkin holder

Unread post by dena in ms » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:59 pm

In week 7 there is an napkin holder craft with the Bread of Life template, but I have 3 kids and did not want three napkin holders, so, I came up with a "Salvation Sandwich" using the bread of life templates and putting the plan of salvation using colors in the middle, I took each color of construction paper and cut it out using the slice of bread template.

here are the colors:

black: lost in the darkness of sin
red: Jesus shed His blood and died for us
white: cleaned and forgiven
blue: recieved baptism of the Holy Spirit
green: growing in my walk with God
yellow: the promise of eternal life and walk the streets of gold

hth someone :)
Dena in MS

married to my best friend for 16 yrs, mom to 3 gifts from God chosen for us through adoption, dd 17(special needs) dd 11(learning disabilities) and ds 7(all boy)

Starting Adventures July 2008

doubleportion

ADV Butter Making

Unread post by doubleportion » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:44 pm

Just wanted to let other ADV users know, adding a few clean marbles in your jar when making butter seemed to speed up the process a little bit. Our arms were still falling off by the time we got to the butter and buttermilk stage. Great fun! Dd loved it!!!

We did this a day early since she was begging to make it today after reading the pages from American Pioneers.
:)
Edie

shawnswife

Unread post by shawnswife » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:06 pm

I'm going to get the butter out of the fridge and spread it on some bread while I praise the hard work ethic of pioneer mothers! :)
Jennifer F.

Wife to Shawn since 1997
Mom to dd (2000), dd (2001), ds (2002), ds (2006)

Using RTR and MFW K (2011-2012)
Completed parts of CTG and Story of the World (2010-2011)
Completed ECC and MFW 1st (2009-2010)
Completed ADV and MFW K (2008-2009)

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:49 pm

Last week, my 12 yo dd volunteered at the local living history museum and that day was butter making day. They used a weird churn (it had a crank) and put in 1.5 gallons (yes, gallons) of cream. It took nearly 2 hours (taking turns with others) to get the butter!
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 am

I remember we passed the jar around while reading. Then my dh took it and has several large shakes at the end to get it done.

We've done some variations with using electric mixers and cream. Stopped for whipping cream, saved some of it, then beat it some more to get to butter.

-crystal

Tami in IA

Unread post by Tami in IA » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:16 pm

I found that you can just roll the jar back and forth, on the floor with your foot. ;o)
Married to Tom, and we have two blessings DS 8 & DD 7.
1st- 2007-08
Adv.- 2008-09
ECC - 2009-10

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Here are a couple of good books I found at the library for week 6:

Small Gifts in God's Hands, by Max Lucado. Beautiful illustrations help Lucado tell about several of the miracles Jesus performed, including the miracle of feeding the 5,000 with the 5 loaves and 2 fish.

Bread is for Eating, by David and Phillis Gershator. Simple text and lovely illustrations show the process of how bread is made, from the wheat seed in the ground to harvest to the mill where flour is made to the store where flour is sold to the bakery where the flour is mixed with yeast and made into bread. A Spanish song (very brief--only 4 lines) about bread (el pan) is repeated throughout the story, so the books is great for introducing another language, too.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

cbollin

Week 7 Question:How much flour do you use for the bread?

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:05 am

4littlehearts wrote:I was looking in the Science in the Kitchen book and could not find how much flour is needed to make the bread dough on p. 19. Any help would be appreciated. My only experience with baking bread is in my bread machine. Thanks!
In my copy of the book, the recipe on p. 19 in the little yellow box says that you use the same amounts that are listed on p. 18 for the craft dough. So, I'd give that a try and see how it works.
4littlehearts wrote:Thank you for pointing that out. I must have overlooked it. Thank again!
I overlooked it too. I was looking for numbers and then my eyes saw the phrase "as for craft dough" and then I realized it was one sentence.

It's a good question that you asked. It is easy to overlook that part.

-crystal

Michelle in WA

Video

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Bread is for Eating is also available as a Reading Rainbow video.
Michelle, momma to
A (01) completed 1st, ADV, heading into AHL (gulp)
T (02) completed K, 1st (doing something else for now)
C (05) (doing something else for now)
T (08) completed K, doing 1st

staceyd

Alternatives to napkin holder in ADV?

Unread post by staceyd » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:49 pm

Michelle in WA wrote:We are slowly moving through ADV and having lots of fun! We are in week 7 and getting ready to make the napkin holder. I really don't want 3 of them. Someone posted an idea in the ideas forum but I'd like some others to work from. We could skip it entirely but my kids can read the manual & will want to do something. :)
Both my boys each made a napkin holder. However, we only use 1 as a napkin holder, the other one is in the school room and holds our Music Cds. Maybe you could have them all make their own, then find another use for it.

My boys have loved all the craft projects so far.

Stacey

cbollin

Re: Alternatives to napkin holder in ADV?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:01 am

What if one of them went on a cup or plastic container and gets used to hold breadsticks?

Michelle in WA

Re: Alternatives to napkin holder in ADV?

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Julie in MN wrote:pencil holders?
We used to decorate soup cans...
We did the pencil holders today. The kids are thrilled to have their own place to store their pencils.

We used 1/2 pint mason jars, brown construction paper and tape. Super easy! Thanks for the idea!
Michelle, momma to

Julie - Staff

Butter Alternatives

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:34 pm

mgardenh wrote:Ok were coming up on the week in Adventures where you make butter. Well both my dd are allergic to dairy. One is Anaphlactic (cuts off breathing and all). Does anyone know how to make butter with olive oil or canola oil? or other ideas to get across the process of making butter? Any good books?
Mike
Postby cbollin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:02 am

uh.... put some in a jar and put it in the fridge until it solidifies? I have memories of solid oil in the fridge. I think it was olive oil??? it turns cloudy at any rate???
-crystal

Postby kellybell » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:48 pm

Well, how about a nice video about a dairy farm or a dairy that processes milk. Anaphylaxis (I can't spell) is nothing to play with, but milk processing is pretty interesting.
Kelly

Postby Toni@homezcool4us » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:40 pm

I remember making the butter and how fun it was to shake it and watch it turn into butter. Most of our diet is vegetarian and we aim for vegan as much as we possibly can. I haven't come across any homemade vegan butter recipes that would involve shaking the ingredients and seeing the cool result of that. :( (and the recipes I have seen involve ingredients you're not likely to have on hand, like nutritional yeast flakes and vegan gelatin).

Could you make something else such as vegan mayo? It would involve the blender (unless you want to experiment and add the oil EVER SO SLOWLY to some sort of shaking container to see if that would work) but you might still get to enjoy a similar end result this way. Here's a link to a vegan mayo recipe.
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/08/ho ... -mayo.html
Blessings!
~Toni~

Postby mgardenh » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:44 pm

Crystal,
We might try that with the olive oil might take a long time which is part of the point!

Like the idea of a film Kelly. We actually have a Farm and Ranch Museum. It is really cool they show you an actual cow being milked and you get to see the animals. I think they make butter too. We would go there but it is a little out of the comfort zone to take the youngest. Do not want to test the bounds of her allergy. Been to the ER to many times already this year.

Toni,
Actually those are ingredients we carry at times. We make cheese sauce with it sometimes. So if you have the recipe I might try it! I just don't know how to make butter!
Mike

Postby Toni@homezcool4us » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:14 am

Two vegan recipes. You may need to track down ingredients for the second, but given the allergies, it might be worth it. Try Whole Foods market if you have one in the area. The first contains tofu (haven't found a way to prepare it that I like yet)

Soy Butter
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup silken tofu
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1.) Place milk in blender. Start blending on medium speed. As milk blends, a hole will form in the center.

2.) Add the silken tofu and pour oil slowly into the hole until it closes. The hole in the center should be completely closed.

3.) Stir well, mixture should be stiff

Use in Cream pies, on sandwiches and when recipes call for soy butter

Yields: 2 cups
Homemade Margarine
("Buttery" Spread)

1 Tbs Kojel unflavored vegan gelatin (or other
brand)
3/4 cup soymilk, divided
1 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp imitation butter flavor
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup soymilk powder
Pinch of turmeric (for color)
1 cup light olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
1 & 1/2 tsp liquid lecithin (optional)

In a small saucepan, mix the veg gelatin in half the soymilk.
Heat over low heat, stirring, until gelatin is dissolved.
In a blender, put the nutritional yeast, butter flavor,
salt, remaining soymilk, soymilk powder, and turmeric. Blend well.
To mixture in blender, add the gelatin mixture,
olive oil, and lecithin. Blend thoroughly.
Put into a container.
Refrigerate.

Spread on bread, veggies, etc.
Works in cookie recipes, too.
Blessings!
~Toni~

Postby mamaofredheads » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:57 am

What if you made it with plans to give it to an elderly neighbor? They no doubt would have grown up with homemade butter and would think of it as a real treat. It's just so much fun to watch butter being made. As long as she's watching and not touching anything would she be ok?

Just a thought :)
Glenna

Postby tjkluse » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:14 pm

Maybe this would work....

I haven't done Adventures but I'm guessing this activity is to show how early Americans made butter through raw ingredients and hard work, no? Put cream in a jar and shake, and shake, and shake, and...

So, why not make something else that's safe for your children, instead. You could do the same type of activity by making ice cream. Put soy or other acceptible milk in a plastic quart size ziplock with sugar, and a splash of vanilla. Put that sealed plastic bag in a gallon size bag and surround with crushed ice sprinkled with tablespoon of salt. Shake, and shake, and shake, and....

Scientifically, it shows a different process. But, your results are similar - a solid from a liquid. It uses 'work' to create food. It's safe for your kids.
Tammi

Postby Toni@homezcool4us » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:48 pm

If you do soy icecream, just be sure you have a recipe that's been tried with success. We tried to make instant pudding with soy and it was a complete flop.
Blessings!
~Toni~

Postby Cyndi (WA) » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:52 pm

Tammi, I think this is a great idea! I have a recipe for homemade soy ice cream (uses a bit of tofu as well as soy milk) that I think would work great if I reduced the quantity to fit in a bag. I haven't started ADV yet, but I'm keeping that idea in mind. It sounds like a good parallel to me.

Mike - can Alexis have soy in the house? Are you on fructose or off? I make our GFCF sugar free ice cream with xylitol and/or stevia. There's a recipe out there for margarine that calls for sunflower oil and liquid lecithin, but for some reason I'm thinking that you can't have soy, either. (We have it very infrequently.) I use olive oil and cider vinegar to make salad dressing for myself, and the olive oil separates and hardens pretty quickly when refridgerated. It's not palatable, either. I'd love to know what you decide to do.

Cyndi (WA)

Postby mgardenh » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:32 am

Hey thanks for all the ideas!

We can have soy in the house but the youngest dd is very allergic so she would need to be in quiet time or taking a nap to do something with soy. I was hoping for something with olive oil because youngest dd can have it. The good news is she is up to 14 foods but the not so good news is they are all vegetables (a little hard to make butter with huh).

The youngest likes to do the activities so I am trying to include her but she doesn't have to be. Maybe I have her do the olive oil and sister something else. I would love to see the youngest with olive oil butter (i think she'd love it :)
Mike

Postby jenibateman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:06 pm

We've used coconut oil before. When it is below 76 degrees it solidifies and some people even call it coconut butter in its solid form. My kids love it on fresh homemade bread with some honey or agave nectar. I would definitely suggest getting the virgin oil; it has a very slight coconut flavor but not to much; it is really nice. the refined is pretty tasteless. Lots of great health benefits too. Enjoy.
Jeni

Michelle in WA

Re: Weeks 6-7

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:52 am

I found the video Bread Comes to Life at our library. It s narrated by Lily Tomlin and has music by George Winston. It shows a baker doing everything from growing wheat to making bread. They have a website. I haven't checked it but I'll post the link. breadcomestolife.com
Michelle, momma to

momtogc

ADV Bread, Weeks 6-7

Unread post by momtogc » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:28 pm

On the board I read a post that said that Bread Comes To Life is a good book for Adventures weeks 6-7. I was looking online to find info about the book and came across the website: http://www.breadcomestolife.com Click on Enter Here (near the bottom) and there are links to a lot of neat information on bread, wheat and yeast. I printed out several of the pages to use for Book Basket or read aloud. It fits in very nicely with the study....and makes me hungry for bread. :-)
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

cbollin

Adventures - making playdough / Play-Doh

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:26 pm

rtlmom wrote:Just a quick question - do you have to use the cream of tartar? If so, is there anything to substitute for it? I don't have any, & won't be going to the store. Thanks!
in general, there are variations on playdough recipes for cooked and not cooked
here's a list of choices
http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/activ ... ydough.htm

and here
http://www.easy-homemade-recipes.com/play-dough.html

this site claims that cream of tartar is optional, but is there for "improved elasticity"
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... -Play-doh/

week 7, right? I found the book that's used in week 7. You can use the craft dough recipe in the Science in the Kitchen book, which is a lot like the recipes I linked too. yum the recipe for those rolls on the opposite page looks nice.

-crystal

candice417

Re: ADV Weeks 6-7

Unread post by candice417 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:23 am

We found a great book not listed in teacher's manual - "Colonial Kids - An Activity Guide to Life in the New World" by Laurie Carlson. There are some great activities including crafts, toys, and recipes! Enjoy! :)
Last edited by candice417 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wife to Chris(16 years)
mother to 3 precious daughters - 12,10,& 5
Adventures (2011-2012)
ECC (2012-2013)
CTG (2013-2014)
RTR (2014-2015)
EXP 1850 (current year)

Julie in MN

Paddle to the Sea

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:11 am

G'smom wrote:we made our canoes today and i'm wondering if I should go ahead and have this as a bedtime read aloud or if we'll use it in another year of MFW and I should save it. What do you ladies think?
We read the book as a read-aloud during ECC's study of Canada I think? It was our favorite of the Holling books. But there are many other books I would have loved to have read as read-alouds, too, so I wouldn't worry about needing the book later.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Re: Paddle to the Sea

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:35 am

My dd loved this book when we read it in ECC. But read it now. It's a good book. They'll enjoy it again.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog