ADV Weeks 4-5

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
cbollin

Re: ADV Weeks 4-5

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:34 pm

Just in case Erna never figures out her username and password on this forum. LOL... but if you do, then my copy and paste for you can disappear. they'll figure it out.

Erna had a nice activity to share to replace week 5 crayon shaving.....
Erna VH wrote:> I don't know how many might be behind me in schedule but I imagine
> many may be ahead of me. At any rate, instead of doing a crayon
> shaving activity again I cut circles out of clear contact paper to
> attach to the paper plates. We used cut up pieces of yellow and
> orange tissue paper for the sun instead. The great thing was that my
> leftie could join in and my toddler loved it too. :0) I thought I'd
> pass it along in case someone else wanted to do something different.

LaraM

Unread post by LaraM » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Stars and Gravity ideas...

Go to www.jellytelly.com (this is a website created by the same folks that do Veggie Tales)

In the search box located in the top right corner, search "stars". You will see cute clips pop up called "Journey to the Stars Part 1" and "Journey to the Stars Part 2". They are short, entertaining clips about stars from a biblical perspective. It was entertaining and fun for my boys!

I also searched "gravity", and a short clip called "Wonderful World of Science: Gravity" came up. I loved the emphasis on God making gravity just right. Worth watching and adds a little something extra to the lessons!

Enjoy!

laurelmarie

Unread post by laurelmarie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:43 am

Wigwam help...
I found the best way for the wigwam to be pieced together is to use lots of glue. We took each piece of scrap paper and immersed it in glue making the piece flimsy and easy to mold. It took two days for our wigwam to dry, but once it did it was durable and all the scraps were attached and molded perfectly to the shape we wanted.
Laurel, HS since 1992, graduated 2 sons both in the military
Ds 15: MOH , Latin Alive, BJU Algebra, Lightning Lit, Apologia Phys. Science, Piano, Fencing
Dd 7: Adventures, Math Journal, Elemental Science, spelling Journal, FLL 2, SS Latin, Piano

laurelmarie

Unread post by laurelmarie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:50 am

Constellation activity
When learning about the stars, I had dd take black construction paper and using a toilet paper tube as a guide, she traced a circle on the construction paper. I cut around the circle giving it an inch extra all around. She then took a pin and poked holes in the circle in the pattern of constellations. We then put the circle on the end of the toilet paper tube (attached with a rubber band) and held it up to the light. She was able to view the constellations she had made.
Laurel, HS since 1992, graduated 2 sons both in the military
Ds 15: MOH , Latin Alive, BJU Algebra, Lightning Lit, Apologia Phys. Science, Piano, Fencing
Dd 7: Adventures, Math Journal, Elemental Science, spelling Journal, FLL 2, SS Latin, Piano

shara1

Unread post by shara1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Yea! Week 4 was a lot of fun! My kids really got into constellations and we did a few extra activities. The book, Find the Constellations by H.A. Rey was a great resource for us! It really teaches the kids to be able to see the constellations in the sky.

I found cardboard constellations that utilize a flashlight some light cardboard (from a cereal type box) and a hole punch and we made constellations that they can put on the wall with a flashlight. It's a little tricky to explain, but I blogged about it at http://blogging-mama.com/homeschool/hom ... -4-review/. We also used black construction paper, sticker stars and white crayons to make constellations on paper.

The teepees were easy and fun.

The wigwam was a bit more tricky. I would suggest using the construction paper for the "poles" and using a thinner paper for the covering. This would also be a good paper mache project. I helped my kids a fair amount to finish theirs. Then we pulled out the lincoln logs and they made a fort and they played for hours with the wigwam, teepees and fort. Unfortunately, all we had were army guys, but my daughter got creative and made paper Indians etc. I was able to see how much she is retaining and that was really fun. Thanks MFW for writing a great curriculum with living books and fun activities!!

jenmar30

Unread post by jenmar30 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:39 pm

We found a tepee kit at hobby lobby. It was in the leather section. It is a small tepee the kids can decorate and make. It was only 2 or 3 dollars. They enjoyed doing this.

akoldenhoven

Hard Tack

Unread post by akoldenhoven » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:26 pm

I found an old recipe for Hard Tack. We made a small batch during our study of the Pilgrims. My 3.5 year old daughter enjoyed it fresh out of the oven so well, she asked for more during lunch. We kept a couple pieces out to harden, and harden it did! The general opinion is that one meal, fresh from the oven, of hard tack is tolerable. By the next day, you truly would need a liquid to soften the bread to not hurt a tooth!

Hard Tack

1 cup Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Sugar
Water

Preheat oven to 400 deg. Mix ingredients thoroughly. Add enough water to make moist (we used just under 1/2 cup). Then roll 1/4 of an inch thick and cut with biscuit cutter or pinch off desired amount and press out. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Amanda K.
4th Grade son in CTG
Kindergarten daughter in A to Z

Steft

Unread post by Steft » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:07 pm

We just finished week 4 and my boys loved making the wigwams and teepees. So I decided to let them (on Friday) make a Native American village on minecraft. They have done a great job! Some ideas....

http://youtu.be/u_MyZq-AzPM
http://youtu.be/h9exhbrEJKM

Steft

Unread post by Steft » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:11 pm

We are also reading the Indian in The Cupboard series at bedtime. They are so hooked!