ADV Weeks 4-5

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

ADV Weeks 4-5

Unread post by Marie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:07 am

Adventures in MFW Weeks 4-5

Additional ideas may be posted in other areas of the message board:
Pilgrims http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 365#p96365

Daisy

Native American ideas.

Unread post by Daisy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:38 pm

We added additional crafts from History Pockets to the Native American week. We saved them all up for the week (without showing Dad). On Satruday morning we made a Native American museum and displayed all our crafts. My daughter dressed up in a Pocahontas costume and acted as tour guide for her Dad. She told him everything she had learned that week. We also made Navajo fry bread, Pemmican (beef jerky) and other traditional Indian foods to share. It was a great conclusion to a really fun week. This would be a great "open house" idea for grandparents or other family members.

lisa062797

Unread post by lisa062797 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:20 pm

For Week 4...We found a fun book at our library called "More Than Moccasins," by Laurie Carlson. It is subtitled "A Kid's Activity Guide to Traditional North American Indian Life." It has all kinds of activities, crafts, and recipes...just under 200 pages! It sure is hard picking out just a few things for the week, but I'm sure we'll be checking it out again, so I wrote a few activities into my planner, as well as a different treat/food to make each day this week. I wasn't even going to look through this book at first, but the wigwam project today and the upcoming tepee project really motivated both of us to look for more!

We are also planning a field trip for Friday to our historical society. They have an exhibit with either a life-size wigwam or tepee, or both, that you can walk into and see different items that would be in there. Very neat, and I can't wait...looking forward to the rest of the week!
Lisa in MN
Wife to Nick
Mom to
Vincent (11) Completed MFWK, MFW1, ADV, ECC, CtoG, RtR, and currently in EX1850
Andrew (6) Completed MFWK, and currently in 1st
Isaac (4) Currently enjoying MFW preschool toys

Julie - Staff

What Kind of Fish & Popcorn?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:26 pm

Homeschooling6 wrote:Next week we will plant our corn with two fish. I have salmon in the freezer, will that work?

And from what I am reading in the ADV TM I'm to use regular kernels that we use to pop popcorn, is this correct? If we don't have any popcorn kernels, do you think the ones that you put in the microwave will work?

Sorry for such silly questions (blushing here)
Thanks for your help =)
Linda<><
Postby Mumto3 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:36 am
We didnt' try to plant anything to grow. Instead we used leftover unpopped kernels from microwave popcorn and goldfish crackers. We used brown construction paper for dirt. I used it more as a hands on teaching guide than a sprouting seeds project.

Then I wanted to watch Charlie Brown thanksgiving --- the popcorn scene at least.

Blushing back into lurking now.

Postby southernshae » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:54 pm
How about using sardines? And yes, we used the popcorn you pop on top of the stove (bagged or jarred) .....you'll also need it for another experiment on down the road.

Southernshae

Postby Homeschooling6 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:23 pm
Mumto3, thanks for sharing, that's very creative. I haven't seen Charlie Brown in years. I'll have to rent in for the kids. Thanks for reminding me =)

Southernshae, sardines, now why didn't I think of that? I'll see if my dh can pick some up on the way home today =)
Sardines would be more fun putting in the dirt then a piece of salmon. Looks more like what they Indians might have used ;)

In Him,
Linda<><

Laura M

Great Adventures book find for week 5 or Thanksgiving week

Unread post by Laura M » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:40 pm

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:15 pm by Laura M
I found a charming book at the library and wanted to share it with anyone else doing Adventures. The title is "Three young pilgrims" by Cheryl Harness. It is a sweet story about a family who traveled on the Mayflower and is richly illustrated.

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:56 am by claraskids
I've done that book in the past when I was still in the classroom. The kids were always fascinated with the info on what happened to the Pilgrims later in life (ie - who married who; who died young; etc.). Really helped them understand that this part of history is real, not just a nice story.
Of course, they also got such a kick out of some of the names. Especially the Brewster boys - Love and Wrestling!

I'll have to remember to dig it out for next month. Thanks!

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:58 pm by Winkie
love this book! But I'm a little biased, since I'm a descendent of Isaac Allerton. :-)

Mercy

Unread post by Mercy » Mon May 05, 2008 11:33 pm

For those of you who are looking for books to buy for this year...

One of the BEST book basket books that we have enjoyed for the constellations was the book by H.A. Rey called Find the Constellations. I'm thinking of buying this book for our home library just for reference.

We are SO enjoying this year!!!

Thanks piled upon thanks to the Hazells!

~Mercy & Family
Wife to Superman
Mother to 8yob, 3yog & 3mob
started in ECC, switched to ADV
http://ourhomeschoolingadventures.blogspot.com/
http://ourhomeschoolingfun.blogspot.com/
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." H.W. Beecher

dena in ms

Unread post by dena in ms » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:49 am

Mercy wrote:For those of you who are looking for books to buy for this year...

One of the BEST book basket books that we have enjoyed for the constellations was the book by H.A. Rey called Find the Constellations. I'm thinking of buying this book for our home library just for reference.

We are SO enjoying this year!!!

Thanks piled upon thanks to the Hazells!

~Mercy & Family
Ditto!! I bought this book at Barnes and Noble and it has been my kids favorite so far, it is a great book!
Dena in MS

married to my best friend for 16 yrs, mom to 3 gifts from God chosen for us through adoption, dd 17(special needs) dd 11(learning disabilities) and ds 7(all boy)

Starting Adventures July 2008

doubleportion

Pilgrim Books

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:12 am

We have enjoyed using "Meet The Pilgrim Fathers" by Elizabeth Payne and the Abeka reader "Pilgrim Boy" for additional read aloud time, since we finished Squanto early (we were both crying through the last few chapters).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:29 pm

Basically you are making a double side picture frame. The picture is the melted wax crayons with sun colors. The frames are the paper plates. They are placed “back to back” with the wax paper in the middle. Or at least that’s what I did from the instructions
adv pic 2.jpg
side angle
adv pic 2.jpg (25.57 KiB) Viewed 13133 times
-crystal
Attachments
adv picutre 1.jpg
flat side
adv picutre 1.jpg (29.63 KiB) Viewed 13132 times
Last edited by cbollin on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

doubleportion

Pilgrims and Squanto Books

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:53 pm

One really neat book which we will be cooking from this weekend is
"Food and Recipes of the Pilgrims" by George Erdosh. Great info and pictures with some nice recipes you can easily cook. It is not Thanksgiving specific either.

And a nice independent reader is "Young Squanto- The First Thanksgiving" by Andrew Woods

We have enjoyed reading these.

:)
Edie

mommccoy

"More Than Moccasins"

Unread post by mommccoy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:38 pm

Thanks for recommending this book: "More Than Moccasins".
My 2 boys loved making pueblos and indian clothes this last week! The ideas and supplies were simple and fun. We could have spent days doing all the projects... but we'll save that for future years of learning.

KimberlyND

Week 5 Sun Wall Hanging

Unread post by KimberlyND » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:51 pm

I found that a carrot (vegetable) peeler works much better than a knife to make crayon shavings. With the knife I was breaking the crayon and didn't get very nice shavings. The carrot peeler made nice uniform shavings.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

KimberlyND

Wigwam week 4

Unread post by KimberlyND » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:59 pm

We had a hard time glueing the wigwam together. We ended up with a sticky mess. The frame held together well. But the "bark" covering didn't curve or stick well with glue.

Another mother used a flour and water paste and said it worked well. I can visualize how that would be. If you could soak the "bark" in the paste it would then bend better. It would save alot of frustration for the student and teacher.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

LA in Baltimore

Wigwam week 4

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:57 pm

I have to agree with Kimberly about the wigwam mess. The children began to lose hope that it would work out. The frame went well, but the bark covering got soooo messy and was hard to get pliable enough to stay on the wigwam. I started helping 2 of my 3 at that point and we got through it.

I'm glad I pushed them to finish it even if it we decided not to keep them because they thought they looked ugly. The finished product - after they dried - looked marvelous!!

LA in Baltimore
Homeschooling my 4 (Ages 16, 10, 9, and 8)
First Year with MFW

meagabby

Wigwam week 4

Unread post by meagabby » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:28 pm

We, too, loved making the wigwams and had very little trouble after we figured out to hold one end of the piece of paper while dipping the other end in glue and using that glue-dipped end to 'drag' the glue where we needed it on the framework. It is one of my favorite memories of Adventures.

Dena
used MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, partial K
and now CtG and 1st again

gr8kdsmom

Re: Weeks 4-5 Making wigwams

Unread post by gr8kdsmom » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:45 am

Just wanted to share what I learned about making the wigwams. We did it at home and it turned out so well that my son took it to his Cub Scout meeting when they were talking about Native Americans. They asked us to help everyone make one the next week. From our experiences, I would say that a little thinner paper and possibly Tacky Glue works the best. At Cub Scouts, I had bought a pack of brown heavy-duty construction paper, and it didn't work as well as our thinner paper at home. In addition, we used Tacky Glue mixed with a little water for the wigwam at home because we were out of Elmer's School Glue. At Cub Scouts, we used Elmer's Glue. The Elmer's Glue might have worked fine and the problem was just the thicker paper, but I'm not sure. If I had to do it again, I would use thinner paper and Tacky Glue. By the way, my son LOVED this project! Don't skip it!

doubleportion

Book Basket

Unread post by doubleportion » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Posted Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:50 am by doubleportion

We are on week 5 of ADV. I did find a few books that were not on our TM book list but really great books:
Pocahontas- by Liz Sonneborn
Explore Colonial Jamestown by Elaine Landau

We loved the More Than Moccasins book recommended in the ADV archive. We will probably check it out again in the future to do some of the extra activities in it we just didn't get to in week 4.

Julie - Staff

Adventures - "The Rough-Face Girl" Opinions?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:22 pm

doubleportion wrote:How many of you used this book in your book basket during week 4 of Adventures? I have previewed it and am undecided on how my sensitive dd would handle this book. Opinions and experiences with it would be helpful. How did you talk about or explain the story to your children. I don't know enough about the Algonquin (sp?) Indians religion to be able to refute the questions this story may bring up, and then compare it with what we know as truth. Or do you just present it as an Indian fairy tale and leave it at that?
Edie
Posted Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:55 pm by henryteachers
We absolutely loved this book. If you explain it as an Indian fairy tale and relate it to the familiar Cinderella tale, I think your family will enjoy it too. I loved how it taught that true beauty lies within and that faith, courage,and kindness conquers all. We had just made wigwams and teepees for a project with Adventures so it was fun to see this in the book too. I don't think you'll be disappointed. If I remember correctly, I think the Hazels gave the book a star* by it which mean it is excellent and you don't want to miss out on it.

P.S.--Their God is mentioned as the invisible being so you could also mention that they believe differently than you do and call God something else.

Posted Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:12 pm by TurnOurHearts
We used it as a VERY gentle springboard for discussing wrong beliefs/belief systems and how they can SOUND very similar to things we hold as truth. There are so many homeschool curricula that introduce other gods as major themes in their early-year programs. MFW concentrates on God as the one true God from day one. We had no problem talking though this book (spiritually) and we enjoyed it very much, too. Personally, I don't think we have to know everything about other religions. It's kind of the philosophy that you've heard of with FBI agents who work against counterfeit money? They can't know all the counterfeit possibilities ~ they just learn the original article so well that they can spot a fake a mile away. The closer we walk with the Genuine Article, the more convinced we become of His power & authority.

Also, I find with my kids the simpler the explanation, the better. They don't want or need as much info as we sometimes want to give. And don't be afraid to tell them, "I don't know. We'll have to look that up." That's good stuff, too. :)

(Sorry if I'm rambling all over tonight ~ it's been a long day! Hope this makes sense!!)

Posted Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:18 pm by Ariasarias
My girls loved the story and still ask for it. I think it is because it so closely resembles Cinderella which has also been a very big character teacher for us -- kindness, service, hope, contentment, etc.

Julie - Staff

Wigwam week 4

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:21 am

Postby Ella » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:55 pm
Ours were messy too:) I ended up with glue all over but they turned out pretty good. My three oldest made one and had fun playing with their "indian village" Over all I thought it was a good project.
Ella

Postby goatsandadonkey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:38 pm
We experimented with different sizes of paper to glue to the wigwam. We had more success with larger pieces of torn paper, instead of little tiny ones. We did it on a paper plate and it's stuck to the plate! We haven't cut the door out yet. Once it dried, it was pretty nice.

Postby Jen in IA » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:51 pm
I feel so much better now! Not that I normally feel good as others struggles:) We fought those wigwams and couldn't get them to turn out. DD and I were both covered in glue and just have two sticky brown messes. DS got out some tape later after his frame had dried and just taped the "bark" to the frame. His doesn't look too bad.

I was feeling very hard on myself at being so craft-challenged today. I was an art major in college -- I should be able to handle this stuff! Oh well, looking forward to a simpler TP project tomorrow!
Jennifer

Postby mom2boys » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:07 am
Even though I have olders (4th & 7th) we did this as it is listed as an option in EXP to 1850. I could not find our elmer's glue anywhere and did not think glue sticks would work so I made a flour and water paste and my boys made it paper mache style. They turned out great! So that is an option if someone hasn't gotten that far yet.
~Charlotte

Postby doubleportion » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:03 pm
We didn't have any problems with this. We made it out of brown construction paper and used a paper plate as the work base. I had my dd use a q-tip dipped in a dixie cup of glue. She used larger pieces of ripped paper for the "bark" covering. It dried over night and then we cut the hole out for the smoke. Maybe if you get the construction paper too wet with glue I could see it getting mushy. After it was dry we left it on the paper plate and dd drew things on the plate to create a little scenery. She really enjoyed this project!
:)
Edie

Postby cbollin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:41 pm
I just remembered a post from Tina on this about something with glue. It was in the context of EX1850, so it wasn't a lot in there, but worth a quick look????
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 502#p41502
-crystal

Posted Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:59 pm by dhudson
When mine were in ADV, I had them make the wigwams around an upside down bowl to maintain the shape. When the wigwam was dry, I took the bowl out and it was great!

cbollin

Lifesize wigwam

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:11 pm

sewardmom wrote:We are scheduled to do the wigwam activity this week for EX1850.
If I am reading the instructions correctly, the wigwam would be a tabletop type.

We are considering a lifesize - children able to sit in the wigwam type of wigwam.
Has anyone done this in a large lifesize kind of way?
If so, what did you use for supplies and how successful was your endeavor?

Appreciate your input,
~Terri
Well, there was this field trip location near us that had a wigwam as part of Native American heritage info. Field trip!
one way to do it if you have anything like that near you.

-crystal

CharleneHoell

Re: Lifesize wigwam

Unread post by CharleneHoell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Not sure if this will be of help to you, because it ends up looking more like a teepee, but when we did Adventures two years ago, my boys gathered very long sticks from the woods and we leaned them up against a huge tree trunk. We got several large blankets out of the closet and wrapped them carefully around the leaned sticks. I am not sure if it would work out if you used more sticks...a wigwam is more of a dome shape on top. This was our experience and my kids loved it!

Charlene
Married to a wonderful husband for 18 yrs
Daughter of the King!
Been loving MFW for 8 years!
Ds 10th grade
Ds 8th grade
Dd 5th grade
Ds 2nd grade

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:03 pm

Never did it, but I'm good at web searches. Maybe this will help in your planning. I can't wait to hear if your kids succeed!

http://www.nativetech.org/wigwam/construction.html
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

sewardmom

Unread post by sewardmom » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:29 pm

Sorry to let you all down --- but we didn't do the lifesize model.
The link was great- we were going to use sunflower stalks (garden harvesting time) or cornstalks and sticks from my husbands yard waste pile. Were going to....but opinions were split on whether to do the tabletop or lifesize version.

The children decided (I left it up to them) to make the tabletop version and said they might like to try the large one on a weekend or sometime when they didn't have other schoolwork to do.

IF that happens, I will post an update -

~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

trinabambina

Re: ADV Weeks 4-5

Unread post by trinabambina » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:25 pm

We ended up making a tepee out of pvc pipe (a freecycle find), landscape fabric, and yarn. The kids had fun, working with Daddy, to get the poles arranged properly, and then they got to help sew the fabric in place. It is pretty sturdy (though not very pretty), but they have had fun playing in it, we have been doing our reading in it, and we hope to paint symbols on the outside later in the week. All in all, a pretty easy, cheap project!
Attachments
8 mommy and kids.jpg
Me and the kids in finished tepee
8 mommy and kids.jpg (86.89 KiB) Viewed 12489 times
Trina
Wife to Steve for over 23 years
Mom to Sweet Girl 10, Jalapeno 8 & Pineapple 7.

CtG 2011-2012++
ECC - 2010-2011
Adventures - 2009-2010
MFW 1st Grade - 2008-2009
MFW K - 2007-2008

trinabambina

Re: ADV Weeks 4-5

Unread post by trinabambina » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:58 pm

To learn the verse for this week, John 8:12 "I am the light of the world, he who follows me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.", I took the kids to the basement, with a flash light. It is pitch dark down there w/o lights, so we tried walking and saw how hard it was. Then, I turned on the flash light, and we walked over and around everything easily. They thought it was so cool - and they got the verse right away! !?
Trina
Wife to Steve for over 23 years
Mom to Sweet Girl 10, Jalapeno 8 & Pineapple 7.

CtG 2011-2012++
ECC - 2010-2011
Adventures - 2009-2010
MFW 1st Grade - 2008-2009
MFW K - 2007-2008