General Ideas for Adventures

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

General Ideas for Adventures

Unread post by Marie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:08 am

General Ideas for Adventures in U.S. History.

Julie - Staff

Music - Loving it & adding more

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:14 pm

Daisy wrote:Does anyone add anything to Adventures' study of Tchaikovsky? My DC love music, dearly.
Postby southernshae » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:58 pm
Hi Daisy,

We *loved* the Tchaikovsky study with Adventures........we got quite interested in him. Our library didn't carry the listed books (although they did have an abundance of the other ADV books).

We splurged and took the whole family to a live performance (complete with live orchestra) of the Nutcracker in December. My dc were totally enthralled and it was one of the most memorable things we've ever gone to. When the Overture began they all turned to me and looked so surprised.....sort of like "oh, that really *is* the opening."

So, that's my suggestion......see if you can catch a performance. It meant more to my dc than any books, curriculum, etc. ever would have.

Southernshae

Postby TurnOurHearts » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:20 pm
Barnes & Noble was carrying a special edition of the Mikhail Baryshnikov production of The Nutcracker, remastered for DVD. A friend bought it for us (we didn't have access to any live performances here), and we have thoroughly enjoyed it! We loved getting to see the characters close up, the music was SO amazing, and we talked about the differences between the book & stage versions.

Anyway, that was our one extra this year with regards to Tchaikovsky, and it was a good one. :)

Paige in NC

PS - As much as we used & enjoyed Dance Me A Story, I wish we had looked for it online & purchased it...just a thought.

bethben

Unread post by bethben » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:49 am

There are some great book basket books to go along with the whole history cycle. They start with "you wouldn't want to..." For example, You wouldn't want to sail with Christopher Columbus", You wouldn't want to sail on the Mayflower", ect. Ds 7 reads them eagerly and they seem to be historically acurate with fun pictures and little known facts that appeal to boys.

Daisy

DVD suggestion

Unread post by Daisy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:13 pm

Charlie Brown's Celebrate America DVD set really goes great with Adventures. My kids loved it!

mrs_mike98

Unread post by mrs_mike98 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:11 am

Wee Sings America CD is also excellent! It starts off with patriotic songs and then moves through America's history through songs.
Erin, blessed mama to 5 boys :-)

Dove

laminate everything

Unread post by Dove » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:26 am

We travel a lot and have had to take our timeline and Names of Jesus and many other things with. My ds (8) doesn't care for coloring and my dd (5) doesn't do well in lines. I love to color. I give them pictures to color for fun and I color one for the wall. After I have colored them I laminate them and put them up on the wall with tape (if it won't ruin the wall) and then when we have to leave again I just take them all down, put them in an envelope and put them up at the next place. It is also good for the kids to put the timeline up again and then they review. This makes less work for me later when I have it all done in my spare time ahead of time.

Toni@homezcool4us

Free notebooking pages (great for history)

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:01 pm

Free notebooking pages (great for history). There are pages that can be used in many ways. I love the history pages though. There are even examples of how they can be used. They're perfect for our Adventures pages on Eli Whitney, Robert Fulton, etc.

http://www.notebookingpages.com/index.p ... -Resources

Heather (WI)

Resource for Adventures, ECC, etc.

Unread post by Heather (WI) » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:57 pm

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:25 pm

I found some great ECC (and Adventures) resources at Target for $1.00 (in their $1.00 bargain section up front). They now have a neat sticker map with the states, capitals, etc., and a States fun/activity book. The sticker book even has the main "monuments/sites" in the USA to place on the map!!!

Ariasarias

Graphic Library

Unread post by Ariasarias » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:30 pm

My dc have really enjoyed the book series called the "Graphic Library." This past week she read about the California Gold Rush and Levi Strauss. They have many on the events we have studied this year (like Valley Forge, the Alamo, etc.) and inventors.
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 pm

We found a book at the library called Peter Tchaikovsky by Mike Venezia.

My children and I enjoyed the book. It was a 32 page biography. It had some photographs of Tchaikovsky, paintings and drawings of related subject matter, and then some cartoon-like drawings with some silliness in them (which my boys thought hysterical!).

Maybe your library has it ?? It in a "Getting to know the world's greatest composers" series.

Note: It said near the end that he never found the right person to fall in love with, but it made no mention of or allusion to anything beyond that.

MattsMom

50 States postcards & good resource

Unread post by MattsMom » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:11 am

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:21 pm

I finally contacted the Rhode Island travel and tourism-something-or-another website and emailed them and they mailed us a post card...it was very cool!

Thank you!
Melissa B.

Blessed Beth

Adventure's presentations

Unread post by Blessed Beth » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:13 am

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:13 am

I am so thankful for the Adventure's projects this year. We attend a "Share and Care" group each month where the children make a presentation to the group. Thanks to Adventures we have not been without any ideas. The first month my boys did a presentation on Indian homes. We used the Teepees and Wigwams that we made and we also made a Longhouse, a Chickee and an Adobe house. This month they took their quill pens and berry ink and told the kids how to make them and demonstrated writing their names. It was a hit because all the other kids wanted to try it out too.

Ariasarias

Unread post by Ariasarias » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:21 pm

Another great book series my dd has enjoyed is the "...If you" series by Scholastic. I can't remember all of the titles we have read, but the ones in our book basket right now are "...If You Were a PIONEER on the Prairie" and "...If You Lived When There was Slavery in America."
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

HopeAnn

Unread post by HopeAnn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:33 pm

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:59 pm

I just want to reccomend some great videos to go along with Adventures. They are put out by Schlessinger Media called Colonial life for Children. I found them at my library. There are several titles.

AHCJ1996

Unread post by AHCJ1996 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:34 pm

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:49 pm

We will be starting Adventures in June, Lord willing. I will have a 2nd grader and a K.

My idea to share is that I am buying those souvenir plates for as many states as I can find at thrift stores. They usually cost $2 or less. I doubt I'll ever get all 50, but it will be fun to serve a snack on the state plate when we study that state.

Mom2MnS

Great Book for ADV

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Sat May 03, 2008 8:29 pm

TurnOurHearts wrote:For those doing ADV or preparing for it next year, Millie Miller has written a similar book on the US. Perfect for book basket! :)
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:49 pm

Just adding a note to Paige's recommendation... I bought the states one for Adventures next year, and it looks wonderful! It's one page per state with a drawing of the state (including mtn ranges, rivers, etc), and the facts are interesting and varied. We are real nature people and love to draw, and the sketches are super!

The title is The United States of America: A State by State Guide
by Millie Miller & Cyndi Nelson

ComfyDenim

another bird site

Unread post by ComfyDenim » Fri May 30, 2008 12:50 am

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:32 pm

I found a site today when I looked for a Ruffed Grouse.
http://www.whatbird.com/
It had the thump, thump, thump of the grouse as well as some interesting tidbits. It might prove useful, too.

happy birdwatching!

Renai

Unread post by Renai » Fri May 30, 2008 12:51 am

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:36 pm

enature.com also has bird songs.

Suzq

Postcard Exchange

Unread post by Suzq » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:41 pm

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:29 pm

We have received around 15 postcards so far. What fun!

We decided to hang them around our markable map and then ds draws a line from the card to the state that it belongs to.

It sure is fun to get fun mail for awhile!

Mommyto2

log cabins and pioneer stockades

Unread post by Mommyto2 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:57 pm

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Just thought I would share we made a pioneer fort/stockade for all our army men and pioneer men.

The best free resource ever and it worked great! We used a carboard box which we seem to always have some around and cut it down to about 3 inches high. We cut an opening for doors that can swing open and be shut with a little clasp.

What did we use for the logs?
The cardboard tubes that my husband gets his drycleaned pants back on. They are the perfect size and glued right on the box. We rubberbanded a bunch together and cut through them at about 4 inches. We used the hacksaw first and it worked fine but as we wanted a big fort asked Grandpa to cut them with his band saw. It took about 2 seconds.

Anyway, I think they would make a great log cabin too. Low heat hot glue didn't work but high heat might. We used some other adhesive as ds is impatient and wanted it done and dry right now.

Anyway: cardboard tubes off the hangars from the drycleaner=great logs for pioneer projects (little house on the prairie house?)

Brenda

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:25 am

This year we scaled back a bit on expensive toys because they were all getting lost and broken (learning a lesson there). So he got the less expensive but big bags of toy soldiers. I also used my 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby and purchased the same style toy but in Revolutionary War characters and one of cowboys and indians.

We then built a fort out of a box and cardboard tubes from the drycleaner hangers. The army men go in the sand box and have battles, they go in the woods and have battles and they go in the bathtub and have battles on the duplo lego boat that floats. They get lost everywhere, stepped on and broken and thrown in the garbage when they are in the living area. But I spent a total of about $15 and he still has so many I don't see an end.

I don't get angry when I see a piece not in the box because it is the valuable unique lego piece for the really expensive kit that now is all over his room and elsewhere. He still has lots of fun.

Brenda
mom to ds who will be 9 tomorrow and dd 5

Julie - Staff

Spending time reenacting stories

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:13 am

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:44 pm
Author: Fenni

My boys really spend a lot of time playing out books we've read to them. They have many "adventures" this way.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:34 am
Author: Jenn in NC

Someone mentioned their kids play-acting the books that are read to them. This is very true at my house too. I like that dh and I have that sort of influence over their imaginations and even their playtime just through the sort of literature we are reading to them.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:16 am
Author: RB

My girls are currently doing this with the Little House books. DS joins in too at times, for example he was Pa the other day as they all put out prairie fires (which greatly resembled a large blue tarp blowing in the wind) in the back yard.

AES

Unread post by AES » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:06 am

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:38 pm

I recently found this book at a thrift store, The White Pony, by Sandra Byrd. The story is about a Native American male, who offers the greatest sacrifice he could give for his future bride. The villagers do not think the bride is worth much (including the bride-to-be's father), so this really is a beautiful story.

I did want to clarify that the book doesn't contain any animal sacrifice or anything. The Native American male (I forgot his name) willingly gave up his most prized possession (and then some) in order to purchase his 'plain' bride. It brought tears to my eyes because, as I continue to recover (hair growing back, gaining weight, etc.), sometimes I still feel I don't quite 'look right' myself. And the story reminded me of just how much Jesus loves me.

The book is one of those hardback books with beautiful illustrations. The author also states she wrote the book to offer the gospel to children in a novel way, and I thought it would be interesting for Adventures or just to read.

Just wanted to share,
Amy E.

mgardenh

DD Loving Adventures! And an Idea!

Unread post by mgardenh » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:30 pm

So we are learning about the pilgrims and the people coming to America. So dd says we have to build a pilgrim doll house. So she gets a cardboard box has me cut out a door and windows. Then she proceeds to get paper and oil to make "pilgrim windows". Which we did and attached to the house. So now she is playing with her pilgrim house and doing things with the dolls that the pilgrims did. Talk bout absorbing what she is learning. Oh yeah and now we have to make a pilgrim house for the 3 yr old because she has to have one to play pilgrim with too.

Don't you just love MFW and homeschooling?
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

705emily

Cool Adventures Resource

Unread post by 705emily » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:08 am

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:21 pm

Hello!

I recently found this book on the states that I think we will really enjoy next year in Adventures! It is called Time for Learning...STATES--published by Publications International Ltd. The neat thing about this book is how interactive it is! It has lots of tabs to pull, wheels to spin, and flaps to open--making it a fun learning experience. Very colorful and informative as well! It is also a very sturdy book--hard bound with a spiral binding inside.

Blessings!
my3sons wrote:It is on amazon.... just search for the title and not the publisher. The authors are Lynne Blanton and Betsy Hedberg. I think that is the right one. Great price, for some reason I expected it to be more expensive.

Poohbee

Flags

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:03 pm

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:32 pm

Flags
I visited a Maps store in our mall this afternoon and purchased some 3 x 5 replicas of various early American flags in order to enhance our American history study when we start Adventures in a couple of months. I got a "Betsy Ross" flag, with 13 stars in a circle; the first official flag, with 13 stars and 13 stripes; a flag with 27 stars; and our flag as it is today, with 50 stars.

Flag Day is June 14 - Adventures Kick-off!
Well, as I was leaving the mall, I saw on a billboard "Today is Flag Day." I had completely forgotten. But, it was so neat that I had purchased those flags today. When I got home, I looked up a little bit of information about the history of Flag Day. I told my dd, "Guess what today is? It's Flag Day!" I showed her the flags I'd purchased, and she commented on how the number of stars on the flags have changed. I told her a bit about our history and about the history of Flag Day.

It was a fun way to celebrate Flag Day. I'd never really even paid attention to it or acknowledged it to my children before. I didn't even know about the history or origin of Flag Day myself. But, I've been doing so much planning for our year with Adventures, and I guess I kind of felt like today was kind of a "kick-off" for our school year and our study of American history (even though we won't officially start until August).
[/b]