Science - Apologia extra CDs, kits, lapbooks, fun?

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons

Apologia kits 7th-8th grade

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:10 pm

hsm wrote:Do you purchase premade science kits? I am wondering if I should so that I know we have all the materials on hand. Are the experiments/labs truly only using things you normally have around the house? I tend to not have things around here that supply lists assume I do. Can you give me an idea of the types of supplies needed?
Some things I've had to buy for 8th grade (Physical Science), that I don't just have around my house: aluminum pie pan (those disposable kind), Epsom salt, Hydrogen Peroxide, Tums. Here's a supply list for Physical Science (scroll down a couple of pages).

For 7th grade (General Science), the main thing was Alum... Oh, and a 4x6 mirror, and cork. Here's a lesson plan that has a list of supplies for General Science.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(16), Charlie(12), and Trent(12)
2012-2013 - 1850MOD w/ 2nd/3rd supplement
2013-2014 - ECC w/ 7th/8th supplement
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
My blog

Re: Apologia kits 7th-8th grade

Unread post by hsm » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks for those links! Those are helpful. Just needed an idea of what to expect supply wise so I can be ready ahead of time. Thanks again :)
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:23 am

I did Apologia 7th grade science this year and I went back and forth on buying these kits - but I knew in the past I had forgotten to shop for a lab supply and had to skip labs from not having items. I live just a little out of the way and on a very tight budget so I don't get out of town too often. If it can be purchased at Walmart - there is one 10 min's away - but I usually only shop 3 - 4 times per month. I have a local small-town grocery store - but it won't have any unusual items - mostly food and a few household items. Because that is me - I really wavered on buying the really expensive kit from which claims to have everything you need, except the perishable items (like red cabbage) - and as hard as it is for me to love shopping - I really loved that idea! However after reviewing over and over - I just thought there were so many really inexpensive items in it and I would be paying far too much for convenience.

I ended up buying one from home science tools ( for about $34.95 (about 1/2 the price of cb's set) - which had items that are harder to find - in fact some that would be hard to find or not available at Walmarts - and I would have needed to purchase at specialty stores, which are a minimum of 20-30 minutes from my home. I am glad I did - it saved me hunting for strange chemicals - and really eased my science woes!

So far - we are on module 12 and we have not skipped any labs due to supplies - that is HUGE for me - I LOVE doing the labs with my kids and regretfully skipped projects in past just because shopping is something I am BAD at! There were still items I had to pick up - or things I had - such as saving jars, baking soda, vinegar, band-aids, chocolate bars, red cabbage, small houseplants - but they were much easier to obtain items. I still am not sure the more expensive kit might not have been a money saver and time saver since it is supposed to have everything sorted by module and ready to go - but for me I had little $ to spare last year! I will buy the kit again from them for 8th grade science this year!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD

Unread post by hsm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:46 am

A couple of years ago when we did Flying Creatures/Apologia I ordered a kit from Home Science Tools and I was pleased with that purchase.

I am like you in that we do not live close to a shopping area. We don't even have a grocery store in town. ;) I forget stuff or maybe I don 't have extra money that week to buy extra supplies or extra time to hunt things down, and we end up skipping things. I do not want to skip labs as my dd is very much a hands on learner. I will take a look at those kits again. And, I will look at those supply lists mentioned too to see if I may have most of the stuff already. Thanks for the input!
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Unread post by jenniferlisk » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:12 pm

We do purchase the already put together science kits. This makes allows more time to actually do the experiments when they come up, instead of setting it to the side because we don't have all the required elements. We use either rainbow resource and ... ulum/c/45/. These are excellent sources for the kits. In fact, they have the kits for the younger years as well :-)

Jennifer Lisk
WHL and CTG 2014-2015
ECC 2010-2011

Unread post by schelean » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:21 pm

I bought a kit from Christian Book Distributors. I think it was a little pricey. However, I think it was worth it. Everything my daughter needs is there and ready to go. It is a big time saver for me and it also helps with keeping her independent.
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

Unread post by TrustingHim » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:01 am

CBD has kits for sale around $70-80. Totally worth it! I bought it last year and we never missed an experiment. I didn't buy it this year and we have struggled to keep up with the supplies. I won't make that mistake again. :)
Wife to an exceptional DH for 17 years
Mother to 2 Girls; 14 and 11
Used: EX-1850 & 1850-MOD both with the 2nd/3rd grade go-alongs and ECC with 7th/8th grade go alongs
2014/15: Ex-1850 & AHL
Psalm 118:24

7th grade General Science Q

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:59 am

4monkeyz wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:13 pm
So I'm looking at next year.... We have a Mac so I'm not sure the cd will work for us for the apologia general science, but i'm wondering if anyone has used the student notebook?? how helpful is it?? i'm a little nervous, this will be our first seventh grader, this year the fractions are proving tough, can't wait for the really hard stuff.... :(
Hi Andrea. :-)

We have used the student notebook for both general and physical science. My dd likes using the notebooks. I think they help to give her a focus in her note taking, which is a great thing when a student is first learning to read a textbook and take notes. Also, MFW provides a schedule/lesson plan, but there is also a schedule in the front of the notebook, so it gives you a couple of different options for scheduling. For us, the notebook is worth the investment for the help and peace of mind it gives my daughter. Since MFW doesn't sell them, we usually buy them from CBD.

Also, about the CD, we actually have not really used ours. Maybe we're missing out on something by not using it, but it seems that reading the text and using the notebook is enough for my dd. So, it will probably be just fine for you if you are not able to use the CD on your Mac.

happily married to Vince (18 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD

Re: 7th grade General Science Q

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:03 am

Thank you for the info! It is reassuring that we won't be missing out a whole lot if we can't use the cd and I had also asked about the notebooks on the FB group and heard lots of positive feedback, so I think I will def put that on my to buy list for next year. It seems like it would make the transition easier for my ds and help corral the paper trail.

On a side note, my dh adores US history! He taught it for many years before switching to administration, so he's planning several camping trips out east to see D.C. & maybe even up into Plymouth area over the next two years. :)
Andrea ~ Mother of four little monkeys (jumping on the bed!), Wife to one incredibly amazing man & a Daughter of the King.
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015

Re: 7th grade General Science Q

Unread post by ruthamelia » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:13 pm

You can get the CD to work on a Mac. I don't recall exactly what he had to do, but there were some brief instructions and my nephew got it to work. It has audio pronunciation files and brief videos with the author narrating. The audio works fine, the videos will only show in a small window with poor resolution, but it's been enough to get the point across, and I think he likes the brief supplements to the text.
Niece and nephews 14, 12, 9 1850-MOD
DD 7 Learning God's Story
Niece 5 MFW K
DS 3 and Niece 3

Julie in MN

Another Q for 7th Grade Science - Kits?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:10 pm

4monkeyz wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:53 am
Hello - I was wondering if anyone has purchased the science kit for Apologia's General Science (7th grade)?? Home Science Tools has it for $34, but I can't seem to spot what exactly it includes, from the picture it looks like gravel, sulfate, balloons....Hm. I'm wondering if it would be helpful to just purchase and have it ready to go (w/some additions from home kitchen) or take it module by module. Thoughts?! :)
Hi Andrea,
A couple of suggestions.

1. This thread (2 pages) may have misc helpful replies here and there:

2. I've used Home Training Tools in the past (though not for the kit you are looking at), and they do have an itemized list. If you go to their page, you will see "tabs" for product details, contents, etc. It's kind of hard to see, but it's there. Then you can see what is included and decide if it will be helpful.

3. Home Training Tools also allows you to customize your kit. Within the "contents" tab for the kit you are looking at, there is a link for a "kit order form." If you click on it, you will see all the items in the kit you are looking at pre-entered on the form, but you can take out items you have and add other items that are on there but not checked because they are optional or because most folks have them already - but you might not.

Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs