EX1850 - How does it look different for 7/8th?

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
Julie in MN

EX1850 - How does it look different for 7/8th?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:11 am

Help with state sheets for older students
LSH in MS wrote:We are in week 19 of EX1850 so we will be beginning the states and presidents study soon. I think I understand how it works for the younger students but what is appropriate for the older students to complete (6th and 5th graders)?

Also since the book basket books are for younger ages do they just focus on the world history during those weeks? I thought about getting a general information book on each state for them to research or go to the library to use the reference books. Any other ideas? The days look so full! I am doing 1st, the supplement and 2 older children and my mind is spinning over this. The assignments seemed to slack off a little but not anymore!
Hi Lori,
We're just finishing up the state report at the end of EX1850.

Since the state sheets are only one part of history this year, my son and I just read the pages, added the info to the front, and he highlighted his favorite fact on the back. I think the highlighter was Crystal's idea for younger ones, but it keeps my 7th grader alert. Oh, and on the front of the sheet, don't forget to have older kids mark all the surrounding states (and major bodies of water, if you like).

I have had some books in book basket about the 50 states which ds reads on occasion. But he really hasn't read any I got from the 2nd-3rd grade state list (Blueberries For Sal and such), so I pretty much stopped adding those. We sometimes looked at a map (showing Indian tribes or showing the terrain - mountains, lakes, etc) or looked up something that sparked an interest. Ds spent a lot more time with books about presidents and about historical figures. He also read about a few of the "legends" like Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, and our local friend Paul Bunyan :o)

Honestly, there is so much history to learn in this time period that I wouldn't sweat it about the state and president pages. They have been a light and fun part of our day, and I don't try to cram too many facts into his brain.

Then when you get to the end of EX1850, you will have a long break of studying your state in depth, and then at the beginning of 1850MOD you will be spending the first weeks learning all the states and capitals and such. By then, some of those state things will be sinking in deeper because of all the little "seeds" you have planted, plus a greater understanding of the overall picture & how it all developed.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Lucy

Re: Help with state sheets for older students

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:23 am

Hi Lori,

When you reach week 21, where the state studies begin, there will be information on how to use the state sheets and more ideas. If you want to look ahead it is on Tuesday of that week.

In the same week for book basket list in the appendix there is a note about most of the books listed being for younger students and add a state book series from your library for older students. My kids were 5th and 7th grade when we did this year and I found that they still enjoyed some of the picture books, I even enjoy a good picture book myself! I understand some kids will not like them and that is o.k. but just thought I would mention that I was surprised that when I put a few in the book basket they were read and not one complaint!

So you will get a bit more information when you reach week 21 about the state sheets and the same for when you begin the president notebook pages (information on Thursday of week 21).

If you have more questions as you are planning, please let us know.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

LSH in MS

Re: Help with state sheets for older students

Unread post by LSH in MS » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:33 am

I think I will keep it light for that part then. I am getting some of the younger books for my 3rd and 1st graders and if they are in book basket my older dc will read them. I think my boys will probably be more interested in the presidents as well. Our library didn't have very many of the state books for younger ages. I did a general search for each state and found a few, but it will probably be enough with everything that is going on. Are there any really special books from that list that are so good I should get them from ILL? My library is wonderful about getting books for me. We are having a great year. The dc are enjoying this era of history and botany as well. Thank you MFW!
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

dhudson

Using programs with 7th & 8th grades..

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 am

southerngospelwife wrote:We're considering using Exp-1850 next year, and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how this would look different for an 8th grader vs. a 5th grader. Can someone who has been there, done that, please explain what types of things the older child would do that the younger one would not, in order to make it meaty enough for 8th grade?

With ECC, it's easy to see the types of things that are added, but for CTG-1850/Mod, not so much. :)

Thanks in advance for your help!
I found that 1850-mod was perfect for my 7th grader when we did it. I needed to simplify some things for my 4th graders, like some of the outlining.

1850 to mod is a logic stage program so was written for middle school kids. You might need to spend a little more time explaining to your younger kids what is happening and why. My little ones did fine when I summarized some of the events.

You might also look at some of the books in the 2nd - 3rd grade supplement. I had my 4th graders use them as readers for book basket which worked really well.

Postby dhudson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 am
Sorry, I spoke specifically about 1850 - MOD and it looks like you were asking about several of the programs. Teach me to try and ride my stationary bike and post at the same time. ;)

Anyway, I think what I said still applies. The program gets successively more difficult as it goes along to prepare kids for high school but the younger kids handle the topics fine. They just take in what they can and they get a higher depth of understanding because of the discussions that you have with the oldest.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

mfwstudent

Re: Using programs with 7th & 8th grades..

Unread post by mfwstudent » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 am

Hi "southerngospelwife".
I’m a long time student using MFW. I’m in AHL this year and this week trying to do my service project by helping other families using MFW. So my mom (screen name cbollin) saw this thread and thought maybe I could spend some time this morning. I want to share it from my perspective.

Last year I was in 8th grade and my sister was in 5th. We were doing CTG.
I read more historical fiction than she did.
I did the advanced assignments and even more readings from Streams of Civilization. I like that book.
I wrote more paragraphs in my notebooking summaries than she did.
I did extra art work assignments.
The CTG manual suggested that in jr. high to do a short report about once a month on the topics in the Streams of Civilization chapter headings. Well, I didn’t do one each month, but some of them interested me so I did more reading and short reports at supper time sharing what I learned.
Oh, then when it came time for the spring Bible feast, I helped with that and talked a lot with an elder at our church who is Jewish Christian.
I got to do a few extra field trips than my sister did. And I watched more videos on topics than she did. Mom got some streaming video thing since our library didn't have a lot of them. Lots of the movie suggestions were TMI (too much info) for my little sis.

I was in charge of the CTG science experiments to help my younger sister. I took charge of the hands on stuff too. I did all of the advanced assignments listed. Did a lot more reading than my little sister. And of course got my own math and science too and more literature novels.

I need to go finish cleaning my room and stuff like that before getting my school work done today. I hope something of that helps you a bit from the way it worked for us last year.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:39 pm

My ds did EX1850 from middle of 6th to middle of 7th (we were on a weird schedule). It was perfect.

1. First of all, he was getting used to the higher level grammar, science, literature, etc.
2. Second, there were some readings that were older.
3. Third, he did more notebooking (we're a notebooking family here).

I wrote some of the things he got into that year on the Ideas forum, if that would help. For example:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 392#p31392
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

southerngospelwife

Unread post by southerngospelwife » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 am

Thank you for your explanations.. that really helps me in getting the big picture and doing some planning. :)
Past users of 1st and ADV

Julie in MN

Ex to 1850.?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:00 am

asheslawson wrote:I am beginning to lose my feeling of preparedness!! I am teaching two 7th graders in EX-1850 along with my daughter. I bought Johnny Tremain & the PP guide. I guess I thought it was going to be scheduled in the weekly grid, but I just realized it's not. I did see it in the back in the recommended reads, but I guess I'm just not used to looking there for the books that I got from MFW. But - I wasn't thinking about the fact that Johnny Tremain was an add-on for 7th, it didn't come with the basic or deluxe set!!

I think I need to plan my year better - I've spent so much time planning supplies & everything and haven't yet thought about when to read those books I ordered with my set. I guess I just thought they were scheduled like all other other readers that have come in the deluxe sets with previous years. OH MY!!! I have a long weekend so I've been really busy trying to make sure I was ready for school to start & co-op to start in a few weeks - but I just all of a sudden feel very unprepared! I think 7th grade is going to be more different than I thought! (And I was aware it was going to be tougher than elementary.) :~
<hugs> for the start-of-year jitters. Somehow I always seemed to have those. I guess the rest of the year just seemed to flow so naturally that a new year felt jarring. But I think it's good for the kids -- a little change-of-pace, a little growing up.

I always think that ECC is the standard for 7-8th grades, with its separate grid. So if you have an ECC manual around with that grid, you might look through it again. If not, you can get some general scheduling advice by looking at the ECC recommendations for 7-8th graders. Here are some links on that:

ECC sample grid, click on teacher manual and find the 7-8th Grade Supplement grid; it's not a very involved sample but it shows the older students adding science, any extra history/social studies, and reading. http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/10/0/1#samples

One of my posts on how my son did the grammar & Progeny Press guides on different weeks: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 047#p53926

Does that help envision the year ahead?
Julie

asheslawson

Re: Ex to 1850.? Read Carry on M. Bowditch before JohnnyTrem

Unread post by asheslawson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Yes Julie, I do have my ECC grid - and that is helpful!! Thank you so much Julie - I guess many of us get 1st day jitters. Tomorrow is my 1st day of homeschooling another person's 7th grader along with my 7th & 3rd grader, so I have them so bad today that I'm feeling almost sick!! Wrapping up my prepping and going to get a good nights sleep. Thanks so much for the helfpul hints!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

hsmom

Re: Ex to 1850.? Read Carry on M. Bowditch before JohnnyTrem

Unread post by hsmom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:22 am

I hope I didn't send you into a mini panic. I think the manual does a good job of warning us. In week 14 it says in the read aloud block of the grid that there will be no read-alouds scheduled from wk 14 - 20 and says that you can pick from the recommended resources list. It also lets you know that there is a lot of reading from George Washington's World during those weeks.