Schedule - Starting MFW in 6-8th grade or mid-year

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
Julie in MN

Schedule - Starting MFW in 6-8th grade or mid-year

Unread post by Julie in MN »

Starting mfw mid year with 8th grader
Kim4 wrote:I am new to MFW and need advice. I will be doing the high school program next year with my current 8th grader. The curriculum we are using now isn't working well and I thought I'd try MFW now with him. Is that doable? Which level do I use? He is the youngest I am teaching. I thought I could start him in this program now in preparation for next year when we will do Ancient History and Lit. Any thoughts??

Thank you,
Kim
Hi Kim,
MFW recommends beginning with ECC at the investigate level.

My situation was a tiny bit like yours. My son finished the MFW family cycle in the middle of 8th grade (end of January is our semester break here in MN). Thus he had one semester left before high school. We did ECC that semester and I feel it was a good choice.

The geography is always helpful, the focus on God's love for the world is always nice before starting with ancients and the fall away from God, and ECC has specific recommendations for 7-8th graders so that makes it easy to use for those grades.

ECC also wasn't an overly-intense history year. There are quite a few reports and research pages, but in fact my son didn't do every single one of those. It was nice to focus a bit more that year on getting used to Algebra, upper sciences, and writing. We did quite a few of the "younger" ECC activities (like reading interesting facts in Trip Around the World) but not all of them (just listened to children's songs from around the world, didn't sing them, and didn't do the world crafts). However, be sure to play the geography game -- that's educational for all ages! I have posts on the Ideas forum about our journey doing ECC with an 8th grader, if they would help. For example, http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 590#p62590

You might choose to just start at the beginning of ECC and continue until your year is finished, or you could also pick and choose. I would do the first two weeks on general geography for sure, but then there is somewhat of a pattern to "visiting" each continent so you could choose continents that you haven't spent much time on in the past, if you like, or just do one country in each continent so you can get around the world.

There are other choices of course, especially if you have done a lot of geography and praying for the world in the past. But ECC to me is really the heart of MFW and I recommend it!
Julie

P.S. More about starting mid-year: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9257
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
GLPerky

Too Late?

Unread post by GLPerky »

Hello,
I haven't been here in years, but as you can see, I'm back! I used MFW K and Adventures for my son who will be in "6th grade" this coming school year. See, it has been awhile! Anyway, I am looking at using ECC for 6th grade, but that puts us way behind in the cycle, so is it too late to jump in? If not, what would we use for 7th and 8th?

Also, he is pretty independent in his schooling, would it be a mistake to use family style learning after he has already been pretty independent?

I realize these questions, could be answered with, "It depends on the child," or "It's up to you, the parent," but I am just looking for your opinions! Thank you!
Julie in MN

Too Late? 6th grade

Unread post by Julie in MN »

GLPerky wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:52 pm
Hello,
I haven't been here in years, but as you can see, I'm back! I used MFW K and Adventures for my son who will be in "6th grade" this coming school year. See, it has been awhile! Anyway, I am looking at using ECC for 6th grade, but that puts us way behind in the cycle, so is it too late to jump in? If not, what would we use for 7th and 8th?

Also, he is pretty independent in his schooling, would it be a mistake to use family style learning after he has already been pretty independent?

I realize these questions, could be answered with, "It depends on the child," or "It's up to you, the parent," but I am just looking for your opinions! Thank you!
Welcome back! I remember you :)

ECC is a great idea for the coming year. Then you can jump ahead to whichever years your son has spent the least time on.

As far as going from independence to a family-style program, I suspect it may be a transition for him. However, it would be valuable to me to spend more time with a middle school aged child discussing subjects like Bible and history. I might allow him to set up science experiments on his own or things like that, but when it comes to certain areas I might want to teach him things like to see a variety of ways of looking at things, an endless amount that could be learned on a topic, the benefit of getting feedback on your understandings, etc.

Just some thoughts,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
manyblessings

Re: Too Late?

Unread post by manyblessings »

Welcome back! I am also back to MFW after a verrry long hiatus, if you look at my signature line ;) As for your question about being too late, never fear! Simply use ECC for 6th (adding grade appropriate language arts and math), then continue with CTG for 7th, and RTR for 8th (adding of course the appropriate 7th to 8th grade language arts, science, and math). After that he would jump into the high school cycle for 9th through 12th. He will get American history in 11th and 12th grades, so you aren't missing anything academically :)
Lourdes
4 adults, 1 in 2nd
3 in heaven
Married 6/20/09
2019-2020: ADV
GLPerky

Re: Too Late?

Unread post by GLPerky »

Thank you ladies! I'm so excited.