Special Needs - Adapting MFW 7/8 grades for high school?

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
cbollin

Special Needs - Adapting MFW 7/8 grades for high school?

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:07 pm

7kmom wrote:Looking at the pilot program for AHL high school and don't think my 15 ds is up to the work. Know he probably needs some remedial stuff.

Could i give him CTG with the supplemental ideas for 7/8 grade and have him do it independently? Also thought about definitely including him as we start MFW with ECC, until we can come up with more for him , aside from math, handwriting, typing, phonics (again remedial), etc and can put $$ in the budget for the rest of his schooling.

Any thoughts?
thanks,
Carol
Carol,

You can be encouraged to call the MFW office for placement questions. They enjoy helping customers get the right fit for their family.

I'm wondering if your 15 y.o might be able to do ECC with the 7th/8th grade supplements --- just more independently. I just don't know with his level of needs and such. http://www.mfwbooks.com/item/11882/7th- ... ement-for/

Give the MFW office a call about it.
--crystal

Julie in MN

High schooler

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:43 pm

Carol,
I support you in trying to find what is right for your ds even if it is outside the norm.

I think for some kids, including college-prep kids as well as a child who has been raised on MFW-type learning (where you explore, think, discuss, and write about ideas on your own, as opposed to filling in blanks on a worksheet), ECC & CTG will not be enough of a challenge in high school.

However, I think for other kids, ECC & CTG could be a springboard for learning to think independently, seeing God's hand in the world, & learning to basically how to learn. It will also give you time to evaluate your child's strengths & weaknesses, as well as focus on essential skills you want to teach before he graduates.

Public-schooled kids do not all do high-achiever work. My dd spent one summer in summer-school doing simple worksheets for credit. My ds needed a geometry class before he started dual enrollment in college, & the only one available was for struggling students & they were coloring pictures when we visited the class -- for full high school credit...

I just want to encourage you to start where you need to and build from there.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Sue in MN

Unread post by Sue in MN » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:10 am

I have my 15yo ds doing RTR. The high school program is not available yet for this year but I think it is just fine for him anyway. He has Apologia Science, Literature studies, Math, and Foreign Language along with three classes at the PS. MFW is very workable with an older ds. You just have to add the right things to get all the credits.

Debbie M.

Using Exp to 1850 in 9th grade

Unread post by Debbie M. » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:57 pm

lisanFla wrote:Next year I will need to purchase a curriculum for ds 9th and dd 6th. Can I use EX1850 for them both or do I have to purchase a separate curriculum for ds?

I like doing school together, also it saves $. Ds is doing Apologia for science as well as Saxon for math. We already do Spanish. DS is a read-a-holic so that's not a problem. He enjoys doing science with his sister as well as his own. What more would I add if I wanted to keep going into EX1850?

Lisa, Blessed Child of God!
Hello,
We are using Exp to 1850 (13 and 15 year old) since the high school program is not available for that time period. I really like the Bible which is memorizing James.

The 15 year old added a high school level course of American History/Lit/Bible that he does on his own along with the MFW portion. We are using the Notgrass American History Program, with the Bible study lesson, and the selection of literature books goes along with the time period being covered. Each week there is a choice of writing assignment questions to pick from, which my son said doesn't always tie in completely with the lesson that week, but he likes everything else. (At this point MFW has the Notgrass World History program listed to be used as part of their Ancient History/Lit Year 1 HS program.)

We all do the MFW portions of everything listed by page number together, including the art/music, and then each does the separate grade level subjects on their own.

Also, you might want to start looking into CLEP study materials for various subjects if you're interested in getting college credit by exam.
Debbie M.

club190

My own ECC literature titles for older students week by week

Unread post by club190 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi folks,

I wrote out a list of literature titles for an older student week by week. You're welcome to it. I don't think anything here is on the book basket list, but I listed the 7/8 package books. We need to do one read aloud a week or Andrew gets things too mixed up. So here's my list, with the ECC countries somewhat lined up.

1. Longitude by Dava Sobel
2. The Kingdom Strikes Back by John Holzman (Sonlight title)
3. The Terrible Wave by Marden Dahlstedt (possibly available only through Sonlight)
4. By the Great Horn Spoon by Sid Fleischman
5. Cameron Townsend by Benge
6. Incans, Aztecs, and Mayans by John Holzman (Sonlight title)
7. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
8. The Call of the Wild by Jack London
9. Nate Saint by Benge
10. Bruchko by Bruce Olson
11. Cry from the Streets by Jeanette Lukasse
12. The Narrow Road by Brother Andrew
13. Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan
14. George Mueller by Benge
15. Escape from Warsaw by Ian Serralier
16. Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates by Mary Mapes Dodge
17. Treasure in the Snow by Patricia St. John
18. David Livingstone by Benge
19. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achibe
20. Facing the Lion: Growing up Maasai by Joseph Lemasolai Lekuton and Herman Viola
21. Fountain and Tomb by Naguib Mafouz
22. I Dared Call Him Father by Bilquis Sheikh
23. Iqbal by Francesco D'Adamo
24. Amy Carmichael by Benge
25. Wild Swans by Jung Chang
26. Gladys Aylward by Benge
27. Tales of a Korean Grandmother by Frances Carpenter (I got it from Sonlight)
28. An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro
29. Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse
30. Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss
31. Peace Child by Don Richardson
32. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
33. Alone by Admiral Richard Byrd
34. Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

Plus we have Reading with Reason Titles for each month, if you want to join in via email. This year's theme is "Genre Exploration."

September - The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson
October - From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
November - The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
December - The Apple and the Arrow by Conrad Buff
January - The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
February - The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
March - I am David by Anne Holm
April - Peace Child by Don Richardson
May - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
June - Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter

Blessings,
Chris

P.S. Forgot to add in "Best Loved Folk Tales From Around the World" a big thick thing to read all year long, edited by Joanna Cole. Enjoy!
Last edited by club190 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wife to Jim since '91
Mom to:
Matthew, 18, Ursinus College student
Andrew, 14, ECC 7/8 + a few extras to make it "official" for high school credit
Daniel, 5, wanting to "do school" but still not really ready

club190

Re: My own ECC literature titles week by week

Unread post by club190 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:10 pm

cbollin wrote:Chris,
cool list! thanks for sharing!

just for the benefit of those new to the forum..... part of what you are doing is helping your 9th grade use ECC at high school level in order to meet specific needs in his learning and with his special learning needs. Thought that might be helpful to know that part....

-crystal
Thanks for the reminder, Crystal. I figure I can't be the only mom doing ECC with a 14 year old though so thought it would be good to include what we're up to in case someone else's family dynamic is similar. Andrew is a dyslexic who started to read for real around age 12 so we've been doing a lot of heavy duty remediation in the other academic areas, while still working on his language and processing skills, in the last two years.

Here are the things we added to ECC to make it more palatable transcript-wise for high school credit (as far as our PA HS requirements, potential colleges, our evaluator, the school district, etc):

Hewitt's Speech course and Hewitt's World Literature I course (which focuses heavily on African and Asian writings)

IEW -- done via the units month by month but using ECC stuff and Fix-It "Frog Prince" for grammar/editing practice

Life of Fred for math (more remediation there)

BJUP's Earth Science book (mine is an older copy, now the 8th grade one is called Earth and Space or something like that)

BJUP's Geography textbook for additional reference material so he's not just using the WB CD or the Internet (he needs to learn the skill of looking things up in books)

Ultimate Geography Book, World Trail Guide (with the Secondary Notebook), & the place-mat maps from Geography Matters

The Literature list above

Spelling Power (still need it, so still doing it)

Lost Tools of Writing for help in getting his thoughts in order

We tackled "Home School High School and Beyond" over the summer to map out a plan for high school for this boy. We're probably going to do 45 weeks of work each year to get the whole 4 year cycle in those remaining 3 years after this one.

He's ready for his Life Rank Board of Review and has only 5 merit badges left which are required for Eagle. We'll do Communications and E-Prep this fall then focus on getting in shape for the Personal Fitness and Swimming badges next summer. Then all that will remain is Personal Management which works best when a kid has a job.

We'll save Driver's Ed, Logic, and Health for another time. I don't much care for Staubough's SAT prep course for this child. I think we'll pursue a formal diagnosis for him when he's 16 or so, when getting some documentation for SAT/ACT and eventual college accommodations would be a good idea. (But we may very well pursue the "transfer student" route for this boy. He's too much of a social boy, the idea of him living away at school just plain scares me!)

I know it's a lot to chew on. Working with a child with LDs is rewarding when they get it, but lots of sweat and tears to get to that place! It helps to remember not to get weary in well-doing!

Blessings,
Chris
Wife to Jim since '91
Mom to:
Matthew, 18, Ursinus College student
Andrew, 14, ECC 7/8 + a few extras to make it "official" for high school credit
Daniel, 5, wanting to "do school" but still not really ready

DS4home

5-year cycle for HS, anyone tried?

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:47 am

hopehill wrote:Has anyone on here tried to beef up any of the years of the 5 year cycle for HS. I know that MFW has a HS curriculum, but know my one coming up would not be able to handle the work load. He has some mental health issues which result in him being very slow in completing assignments. He is capable of doing the HS level work, but not in the allowable time frame. Additionally, I do not want to have kids in different cores, for various reasons at this point in our lives that will not work. Just curious if anyone has tried this and if so what you did and how well it worked.

I am looking at 4 different curriculums, trying to pin down which one is going to work for us for the next 4 years. I really want to stay with which ever one we decide on, so am looking for all the information I can. I know the workers at MFW would be willing to talk with me, but I want opinions from those who might have actually done this. If I need more information later, I will call MFW.

Thanks,
Cynthia
I haven't tried this myself, and it really is not recommended, but let's toss some ideas around and see where it goes! I also have a high schooler who is a slow reader and is very slow to get her work done.

What other ages are you working with? What type of studies have you done before? Are you wanting to follow a 4 year history cycle for your high schooler? If so you will probably be looking at Creation to the Greeks (CTG).

I'll wait for more info before diving in too far :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

cbollin

Re: 5-year cycle for HS, anyone tried?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 am

Welcome along.

What you have described is a path I have been thinking a lot about for my special needs children. (Middle gal and youngest). My middle gal, hmm.. well.. she's just slow.
Youngest - autism.
My oldest is in the MFW high school programs, and our family has done MFW for almost a decade now. So I know the programs. I know my kiddos.....

while I've been thinking on it and planning and pondering.....

One thing that I know I will have to do if I end up using parts of the 5 year cycle for high school is to add in some English credit in some fashion. That will be literature analysis, writing, processing, etc. ok. so I now go and buy and help her schedule for literature and writing... ugh.. this is not settling well in my tummy.... because now I have to schedule and help her to do that too.... hmmm...

The history credit? well.... maybe if I only had one child to beef up stuff for, I might be able to do it... But if she's capable of high school level, why not use high school material and help her to growth from 9th until 12th grade in ability to manage time and tutoring for her? It just seems harder for me to beef up and change the 5 year cycle to do more US history, or change this or add gov't credit or.....

So, my middle gal (currently 7th grade) will struggle with the pace a little bit in English and writing assignments. I've pretty much decided though, that she will be better off doing the high school materials instead of 5 year cycle. She's slow. But capable. So, that might mean that we don't read as many of the novels assigned. Or that I extend deadlines for an essay. I already plan to use as many audio versions as I can to help her out. She spaces out quickly unless it is an audio book with the book in front of her. Then, she's right there.
English? well... I don't know how it's going to work with writing.
Bible -- audio. love biblegateway for that
history - well... notgrass is a nice pace in MFW for my middle gal. I'm not worried about that part of MFW with her.

but, in the last 1.5 years of watching the high school program with my oldest, and feeling unsure about my middle gal... I'm actually getting more confident that although she might need to slow down the English in AHL and WHL, we can still get in a full credit. I think she'd benefit more than if we kicked up the ECC-1850MOD for her. She might not do as well in 9th without a few extensions and more tutoring. But that's ok.

what kind of issues are you working with in your child? my middle gal is "language delay/auditory processing" and "space cadet". (love her dearly)

-crystal

hopehill

Unread post by hopehill » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:53 pm

He has RAD, ADHD, PTSD, Sensory Integration problems and a processing deficit (all present when we adopted him, we knew going into it that he would have problems throughout school that would require adjustments). With all of these problems, even though he is intellectually capable of doing the work, he is not physically/mentally capable of keeping up the pace set in the MFW HS. I purchased the first year, so I would have it in my hands to really go through and evaluate- there is no way he could get it done. If I had the time to sit down with him and work through all the material with him, he could do it; however, I do not have that kind of time. I have a 17 yo who will be a senior and is working her own track and a 10yo as well. I also work part-time outside the home which leaves me with little time beyond the typical school day.

I do know that the ECC to Modern is not recommended for HS. I already use a more advanced English Grammar curriculum and this child is at the end of HS level in English Grammar. Because of all his issues he struggles with internal processing of certain concepts/ideas, has trouble verbalizing, struggles with writing composition and does everything at the speed of a snail. This year both him and the 10yo are doing the same level work in another curriculum . They are working primarily at his level, which is above her by 2-3 years. She completes her work ahead of him. The curriculum we are currently using is supposed to take about 4 hours per day. Most days he is doing well if he is done in 8 hours, usually it is 10+. There is no way he could do a full day of MFW HS, it would take him two weeks to get one week done. We have tried every trick (that is reasonable) to get him to pick up his pace; nothing impacts him for more than a day or two. I believe children need to be guided to be responsible and to be diligent in their work. At the same time, I know God has made each of us different and the path for each child may not be the same. The Bible says to "train a child in the way he should go". I know that his problems are not discipline issues, but are related to his mental health issues, knowing this helps me to accept that he may not have the skills/ability to tackle an acceptable/traditional approach to HS.

I know I can beef up the guide, adding in what would be needed, but thought if others had already done this I might get some extra ideas/input. We have already graduated 4 kids, so have walked the HS road a few times. This child is just different than any of the others have been and needs much more guidance and hand-holding. We have been working on moving toward more independence in his school work for some time with a little progress. He is on track/level in math and science. He can read at a HS level, but his comprehension is not at that level. He lacks analytical reasoning ability which is needed for some areas of a typical HS curriculum. We have been working in all of these areas, progress is very slow. Even doing narration is a painful process due to his processing/thinking abilities. He is gradually improving but it has taken years.

Thanks for your input,
Cynthia

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:36 pm

I have zero advice to offer, but I also have a child with RAD, PTSD, and Sensory issues after being adopted as well. I wanted to encourage you and say that you can totally do this ... breathe, reach out, think and think and think some more, and pray. I said a prayer for you today as well.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:33 pm

I think ECC would work in your situation. Even MFW has somewhere on their website how to use parts of ECC toward a semester of Geography credit, so it wouldn't that much of a stretch for your situation to expand to a year. I'd like to suggest looking at something with Progeny Press guides for a bit more literature/reading comprehension with some of the novels suggested. One thing I did with my middle daughter was to point out where to look in the chapter to find the information.

But, with the extra information you gave, I think if you did a Geography year in 9th grade, it would work. Take a look at ECC with the "jr. high" recommendations as a starter. What I'm not sure to suggest is how to use it all for graduation credits. You've graduated some already so you know you can adjust social studies and that stuff.

If you use CTG or RTR, there is a book in there that is a high school text, Streams of Civilization. in the 5 year program, MFW doesn't schedule or use it "high school credit" ways. But, that might be a natural way to beef up those years in history. You could do some of the chapter projects and maybe the publisher of that book has something like tests/quizzes or something that could be used either as tests or ways to study from the book.

One thing in the EX1850 program that I would want to consider adding would be more on Gov't. In EX1850, the Constitution is introduced but not studied in depth unless you add that. I'd want that in our high school. But, you might find ideas in the Ideas forum to make that aspect a bit more self study/independent. My middle gal was enjoying a lot of the online games that Julie linked to in that section of the forum. She's 7th grade.

I'm still not sure in theory if one would do all 5 years in high school, or anything like that. I'm not that smart to figure that out. It's not the regular standard path to do it. But there are times where we tweak for our students to meet their needs. Given your experience with graduating several, you know what it takes for high school homeschool.

and if you do end up using the programs.... leave me some notes for my youngest :)
-crystal

hopehill

Unread post by hopehill » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Thank you for the suggestions and the links, and for the prayer. I will do some more research, reading and evaluating. I am trying to decided between a few curriculums what would be the best fit for him as well as everyone else.

Blessings to you all,
Cynthia

cbollin

5-yr cycle for HS

Unread post by cbollin » Sun May 06, 2012 3:35 pm

kerby wrote:I know there is now the HS materials, and I truly do dream. But, I am also having to adjust for my ds w/ LD's (reading + writing). The HS levels would just be too overwhelming for him. I have youngers, too, and I thought I might add into the History for him. This would also allow all of us to stick together.

Are there any discussions that I can read through about people doing this? I've tried to look but am overwhlemed - in a good way. LOL (Sooo much great overall info I'm finding . . . % , but just not my situation.) Or, is there a discussion anywhere about people modifying the HS levels for students in this situation?
I'd love to hear more on this too..... I'm still on the nervous side of the fence with my middle gal. slow to average... I'm leaning toward using high school materials with her but in ways that fit her learning needs. audio books. maybe reading fewer of the longer stuff..

here's my thinking as she heads into 8th grade.. for 9th .. Cat of Bubastes, read along as Jim Hodges reads it to us. but that can be for "fun listening"... well, ok.. I also bought Jim Hodges vocab sheet for that book. Then, I know ahead of time, I'm not planning to have her do both Iliad and Odyssey. Iliad is quasi optional and we'll just do a condensed version of it... but part of me was thinking... hmm... maybe just maybe do Progeny Press Golden Goblet for a small part of 9th grade English...
writing: I'll probably adjust amount of writing and do a bit more hand holding...
Bible reading... audio

for youngest. even though it's years away........ she might be the one that I use some of the 5 year cycle in high school.... her special needs are more extensive...

but overall... I'm leaning in favor of adjusting techniques of learning while using high school materials for middle gal.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: 5-yr cycle for HS

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun May 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Hmmm, I'm game for hunting around.

Whether to adapt high school:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5244

Adapting 7/8th grades to high school:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2135

Evaluating when to begin high school:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7349

I wanted to mention that Chris (club190) shared a lot of her agonizing about her particular child on those threads, but I'm thinking that ECC did not really in the end work for her son for a full year of high school?

I'm one who thinks that anything can be done, but who's experienced how hard it is to do it on your own :) My own dd came home to school after failing 9th grade, and in retrospect there were probably some special needs types of things going on there. Anyways, one of my biggest goals for her was to read the entire Bible in high school, and I would have loved to have had the MFW lesson plans to help me with that, even if it would have taken her longer than it showed on the schedule and not included every other thing on the schedule. As it was, we got through "most" of it since I kept getting waylaid as I wanted to delve into this or that :) But of course, each child's needs are going to be very different.

Best wishes that you find peace about your plan for your precious child,
Julie

CrystalM

Re: 5-yr cycle for HS

Unread post by CrystalM » Mon May 07, 2012 7:05 am

I would start by checking your state's requirements to see if they allow for fewer credits for children with disabilities. If they do, you can possibly stretch a couple of the programs over the four years of high school. You wouldn't have to adapt anything other than having your child stretch a week's worth of work out to two weeks. You will know everything he is doing is high school worthy as opposed to beefing up a younger program and hoping that it is. If your ds decides that he wants to go to college and needs certain credits, most community colleges and state universities have remedial classes you can take to finish credits you didn't do in high school. I was one of those students. I don't have a learning disability but I had to take two years off in high school because I have a heart condition and needed to have open heart surgery at 16. I didn't finish my math, english, or science requirements before graduating that are required for entry into college so I had to take those my first semester of college before being fully accepted.

Another Crystal

Julie in MN

ECC for High School

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:28 pm

GLPerky wrote:I have a 15 yo that will be a Soph. more this fall. I am looking at using ECC for him. I am wondering if there is anyone here that has used ECC for high school? If so could you share some ways you made it credit worthy? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Hello,
There have been a few threads about this in the past. I think you'll find something to look at here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2135

I'd like to mention that I don't think it worked out for many folks in the end, even if they planned to use it. At least that's the experience I've read about. Those kids have a way of really growing up during these years and making something suddenly seem not up to their level any more. But of course each child is different.

Is it the geography that you are looking for? Or the mission focus? Or are you feeling your student just isn't ready for a high school program? I'd also be into brainstorming how to mix-and-match some high school things with some easier things, depending on your student's needs.

Best wishes as you figure out a plan,
Julie

GLPerky

Re: ECC for High School

Unread post by GLPerky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks for the link, Julie and the heads up on not working well.
Julie in MN wrote:Is it the geography that you are looking for? Or the mission focus? Or are you feeling your student just isn't ready for a high school program? I'd also be into brainstorming how to mix-and-match some high school things with some easier things, depending on your student's needs.
To answer your questions, I am looking for the World Geography but like the mission focus of MFW. I do feel he is ready for the High School program, I am just trying to get a WG in there. Plus I am starting him in MFW 4 yr. High School program a year late and he is taking American History this year so he won't need the last two years of MFW. So I thought we could do the following:

Soph. Year- World Geography (maybe ECC)
Jr. Year - AHL
Sr. Year - WHL

I am open to any ideas and help that I can get. Thanks!

Julie in MN

Re: ECC for High School

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:38 pm

I wanted to make sure you knew that there is a semester of geography built into the high school program.

AHL - has some geography
WHL - has a full 1/4 credit in geography
US1 - again some mapping
US2 - another full 1/4 credit in geography, if you choose to do it, plus an option for completing a full credit

This is more human geography and the political regions of the world over time, rather than cultural geography as in ECC, but in US2 it does suggest using more of the Operation World and perhaps some of the 7-8th grade materials from ECC. And of course you could adapt it to be the credit you want it to be.

I don't mean to say that you need to get US1 and US2 to complete a geography credit, just that there were ways to finish off that geography portion in WHL by using those ideas for brainstorming. And I want you to be aware of the geography coming up in WHL, to be sure you don't duplicating your efforts there.

You could find out a bit more about this on the US2 sample,
(click on the sample tab) http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/50/20/0/1
Page 7 gives some geography info
Page 13 shows how the geography credit stacks up
Page 19 the grid way down at the bottom shows some geography assignments in US2

Then on the WHL sample,
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/50/10/0/1
Page 14 shows you all the various geography assignments that year, if you choose to earn the 1/4 credit in geography

If you decide it's too much to fit in the 1/4 credit during WHL, you could save it and do it during the senior year. I don't know, I'm very fond of getting them through the entire Bible as a priority, just in case that slips away as things come up later in high school. AHL and WHL would be my first choices for that reason. And there is at least one missionary bio assigned in each of those years (plus a little wiggle room for adding more, especially in AHL). But I know there are other ways to manage it, and I don't think you have to fit in any particular mold.

Keep asking questions to help you think this thru!
GLPerky wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:47 pm
Julie,

I still really like the looks of ECC, that's what brought me to MFW for my younger guys. Do you know of any more links where using ECC for high school is discussed?

Thanks for the help.
Of course you know what's best for your kids.

There are a couple of links in the thread I gave you that might have some semi-related conversation. Here are those:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7349
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5244

And another indirect one:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13458

Julie

Julie in MN

ECC with 2nd, 3rd and 9th

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:27 pm

HavenFarmGirl wrote:I am thinking about using MFW this coming fall for my 2nd and 3rd grader. I also have a son who will be going into 9th grade. Is there any way that we can use the ECC all together and me beef it up for him? Firstly, I can't afford to buy two packages. Secondly, I have some other issues that it would make it so nice to be able to combine as much as possible. Is it doable?

Thanks in advance!
Hello!
I was recently in a conversation on the board about this very topic.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 135#p94100
You might try contacting that mom and see if she's made any plans?

Also, I'm not sure your exact situation, but I will say that kids make certain jumps around the time of 9th grade. They jump in things like maturity, logic, thinking process, and ability to juggle information. What my son wanted in 8th grade was easy-peasy, and in 9th he didn't have as much time for "babyishness." So depending on your child's situation, I might leave room for the possibility that he may make a jump and desire to move ahead at his own pace, rather than stay with the family.

The other thing that happened around that time wasn't so much at my son's initiative, but during AHL there were jumps in apologetics, and in writing as far as presenting arguments, which it turned out he was really ready for. In terms of apologetics, he hadn't expressed it but as the year went on, he realized he was no longer really thinking, "Mom says this is the way it is," but more of, "I'm seeing a world out there that says science doesn't fit with the Bible, and I'm kinda wondering how all that's gonna play out, so I'm really interested in some of these topics." And, in writing, he needed to do something similar, in terms of organizing *what* he was trying to say, and backing it up with specifics, so he wasn't just narrating back events but exploring more of the whys and what the Bible had to say. It might be hard to meld those things with 2nd & 3rd grade needs?

I have met a couple of high schoolers at convention who are so thrilled to be "let free" with MFW high school. Each child is unique, of course, but I just wanted you to prepare for that possibility. I do know there is family value in unity, so I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation, but I do wonder if it might be easier to do things together in an elective, or in science experiments, or possibly parts of Bible?

Just some random thoughts as you think this through,
Julie

jhagberg

Re: ECC with 2nd, 3rd and 9th

Unread post by jhagberg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:36 pm

I am not an expert, but I would like to give my opinion anyway. ;)

It seems to me that MFW really emphasizes the importance of ECC for every child. So, maybe you could add the 8th grade Literature Supplement (4 missionary biographies plus additional research) and also 9th grade English, Math, and Science, and be in pretty good shape for your budget.

Call the MFW office! :-)
Joyce

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Before you dive in I would caution you to spend some time looking at the big picture. Map out a 4 year plan for your high schooler and see if something like you propose will actually fit in a 4 year plan, or would it mess up other objectives? MFW has some tools to help you map out the high school years. They have a goal for every high schooler to read completely through the Bible word for word. This is scheduled out over the first two high school years. This is just one example of something to look at and make sure to schedule it out.

High School tends to need more planning to make sure you don't miss anything in those last 4 years of schooling. Elementary is different in that you can wing it more, try something, if it doesn't work switch to something else, there's always next year..... High school has to be more focused on specific subjects that you will want to have on the transcript.

I'm not saying it won't work. Just making sure that you completely realize that after 9th grade your son will only have 3 years left to complete his high school career. It all depends on what you deem necessary to earn a diploma from your homeschool.

Some things to think and pray about as you consider your options,

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

jhagberg

Unread post by jhagberg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:54 pm

I used to teach high school at a Christian school, and 9th grade was "World Geography" for a full year. My oldest son went to public school, and he took "Regional World Studies" in 9th grade which was a combination of world geography and history. When I did ECC with my younger son, I WISHED that I could have had that level of world geography and cultures when I went to high school!

Having said that, I will agree with Dawn that you need to plan out all four years before your child begins 9th grade. If you do ECC for 9th grade, then what? Do you cram four years of history into three years? Do you skip one year? There's a lot to think about!

Call the MFW office! :-) (Did I already say that...?)
Joyce