RTR & coordinating the human body study with Apologia

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
mdfriederich

RTR & coordinating the human body study with Apologia

Unread post by mdfriederich » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:53 pm

I am planning to use Apologia's General Science for my 7th grader. I also have an 8 and 10 year old who will be doing MFW's scheduled science. I have read posts archived from last year related to changing Apologia's module order to coincide the human body study with MFW's body study during the first part of the year. I'd be interested in hearing from any who did this.

1. Did you start with Module #9 and just move forward consecutively?
2. Did you have your Apologia student listen/participate in the MFW science too? Or was this too much?
3. Did your Apologia student do their work independently?
4. Did you take the time to read all their material as well, so you knew how to assist if they needed help? (I'm concerned about the time this may take, not being too knowledgeable about science, and so want to know the truth about time I need to reserve to be familiar with the material or should I read it together with the student?)
5. Did you use looseleaf paper in a binder or a spiral notebook? Which is better? Did you keep a separate Science binder or put the science behind a divider in the multiple subjects notebook?

That fairly well exhausts my questions I have. :-)
Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts/experiences.

Diana

mamaofredheads

Unread post by mamaofredheads » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:25 pm

Diana, mine are younger & doing RTR, so I don't know the answer to your question but I wanted to offer a suggestion. I believe Apologia has the lessons on CD also, so if you feel you need to know the material your son is reading you could listen to the CDs at your convenience. My older son (now 23) did Apologia in high school & I would have loved to have that available!

HTH!
Glenna

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:32 pm

No, but I wish I had. I think that would that would work.

Note: The first chapter is much harder than the rest of the book. When my other children use the book I plan to either read this with them, not test on it, or start with a different chapter.

2. Did you have your Apologia student listen/participate in the MFW science too? Or was this too much?

Yes, I had two doing this. They listened in on both. It did seem like too much sometimes. They may not have to this year. I haven't decided. I think I may just have them browse through the material on their own and possibly help the youngers with projects.

Yes. However, I would review with them before tests and I asked questions about their experiments.

4. Did you take the time to read all their material as well, so you knew how to assist if they needed help? (I'm concerned about the time this may take, not being too knowledgeable about science, and so want to know the truth about time I need to reserve to be familiar with the material or should I read it together with the student?)

I did read all the chapters. It didn't take me very long, and I did not find it difficult, although I did learn a few things.

5. Did you use looseleaf paper in a binder or a spiral notebook? Which is better? Did you keep a separate Science binder or put the science behind a divider in the multiple subjects notebook?

We used loosleaf. I plan on using a notebook next year. (I think.) That is always a hard call for me.
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:21 am

HI there,

We did (okay it's not quite honest of me to use past tense right now) RTR along with Apologia GS.

Nope, we worked through the book. It would've been neat to have done that though and it would've worked just fine. However, going through the book in order meant that when my oldest got to the anatomy units in Gen. Sci. then she had a good exposure and felt confident about the units. Either way would work.

Yes, because she likes science. I gave her the option, allowing her to participate a lot, a little, or not at all. She enjoyed helping our then-five year old put together the models.

Pretty much.

4. Did you take the time to read all their material as well, so you knew how to assist if they needed help?

Oh, we all start our years with good intentions, eh? As the year went on I read less and less. I started reading it all, then found myself skimming the material and by the end of the year, I trusted she was learning the stuff. Sigh. I'm not perfect.

5. Did you use looseleaf paper in a binder or a spiral notebook?

Looseleaf in a binder.

Which is better?

Don't know.

Did you keep a separate Science binder or put the science behind a divider in the multiple subjects notebook?

We used a separate notebook but it wasn't that thick. It could've been part of a larger binder. If you go with looseleaf you can always change the binder if needed. What does your student prefer???

HTH
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:31 am

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:19 pm

Although we've twice done Gen. Sci. in order, as it is in the book, I think you could go out of order ... some.

There are some units that sort of build on each other. For example, there are several anatomy units in a row. But, you could do them before you did the simple machine unit. And you could do fossils first if you wish. You get the idea.

Sometimes, it makes sense to group siblings together. I know that we broke the normal Apologia order to let Jamie do biology this year, skipping physical science, so that she could be in the co-op class doing biology. Although that's probably not optimal, it is okay. Now, both my girls are ready to do physical science together sometime (haven't really figured out when).

Julie - Staff

Food for thought if you decide to use RTR science with a 7th

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:36 am

Food for thought if you decide to use RTR science with a 7th grader

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:16 pm
Author: cbollin

MFW recommends a 7th grader use Apologia General Science for several reasons (and I might be forgetting some of them)
Lucy had a recent post on this. Wanted to make sure you saw that one.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?p=30974

There’s the long term thinking that if a 7th grader starts with the Apologia General Science, then they’ll be able to have the option for an advanced science course in 12th grade.

There is the issue of helping to get ready for independence and 7th grader is a good year to start that, and even with helping to learn how to take tests and all of that.

And she might be able to join in the fun stuff with the astronomy units. But I’d be looking at getting her to use the 7th grade science and let her join along on fun stuff. She doesn’t have to be totally isolated from the family.

Just one opinion.
-crystal

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:49 pm
Author: Julie in MN

In my humble opinion, RTR would be the easiest year to include a 7th grader in the family's science, out of the 4 years I've done (ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850).

Both Astronomy and Anatomy are valuable topics and not usually covered in as much depth in grades 7-12. Both are easily bumped up using materials already provided (extra discussion questions & activities in The Body Book, more in-depth notebooking expectations in Astronomy, book basket reading). I wouldn't have any problem including a 7th grader in RTR science.

However, I agree with the others that you will want to be sure to bump up the independence & challenge in 7th grade in some ways. It could be math, grammar, Progeny Press, country reports, or current events. I hope you've checked out the ECC 7th & 8th grade description to give you food for thought:
http://www.mfwbooks.com/ecc_7-8.htm

Julie

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:13 pm

momofone wrote:My son will be in 7th grade next year so we will be doing the Apologia General Science. I've read in other post that if he were to do the regular science scheduled in the TM, that there is a study of the "facts of life".

Does anyone know if Apologia includes this? I looked at the Table of Contents but didn't see anything that would pertain to this. If not, which regular science book does this teaching come from? I'm guessing "The Wonderful Way Babies are Made"? For those of you that have used this, would it be worth it to purchase this book for a study on the "facts of life" or would you suggest something else?

Thank you for any info you can give!
Daphene
Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi Daphene,
I agree with the others that I haven't used Apologia middle school science. And also agreeing with Crystal that the Wonderful Way book would be a good one for your ds. I used it at the easier level with my ds when he was 10, and then at the complete level at 11, and am considering going thru it again with him next week (at age 12) before we finish up for the year. It's such an age of constant change for kids.

After going thru that book, my ds may have some more advanced questions now that he's really in the midst of puberty. I may decide to add a bit more info. But the Wonderful Way book is a great starting point to opening up the subject as well as setting a Godly tone to our discussion.

The Janice Van Cleave book also added a bit to the discussion regarding genetics and such. If you aren't using it with any other kids, you could probably check it out from the library rather than purchasing it for that one chapter.

Julie

KimR

Unread post by KimR » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi Daphne,

We just finished with Apologia General Science. It does mention that all life forms reproduce, but it doesn't get into any of the details of human reproduction. The Wonderful Way book probably is the what you'd want to read if you want to approach this subject.

momatpeace

Unread post by momatpeace » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:16 pm

momofone wrote:by Paul David Tripp called Age of Opportunity
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:52 am

This is a great book! I started reading this thread because I've got a 7th grader going do to RTR this fall. Good information here... thanks for asking a good question.

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:12 am

momofone wrote:do you think it would be too much to do both the Apologia General and The Body Book? The Body Book looks like it would be so much fun! My son just turned 12.
Thanks!
Daphene
Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Why not throw the Body Book into book basket and just let him enjoy it?

Debby3

Unread post by Debby3 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:13 am

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:57 am

I haven't done General Science, yet (we will next year), but it looks like human anatomy is covered in General Science past the midway point.

You could just save the Body Book for book basket at that time. If your child really has an interest, he/she can then make the body model.
Just a suggestion, HTH!
Debby

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:14 am

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:13 am

Ohhh, Debby reminded me of a past conversation about this!

Look for Sue in MN's experience on this thread:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=1261

sewardmom

Re: RTR & coordinating the human body study with Apologia

Unread post by sewardmom » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:31 am

RTR general science

Posted Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:10 pm by sewardmom

There was a previous post regarding doing Apologia General Science out of order (human body) in order to correspond with RTR science and since we are starting RTR soon, I decided to check out that option.

I contacted Apologia and customer support gave me the following recommendation.

In answer to your question(about doing it out of order) , if you start with Module #9 (some basics about life science) you will be just fine. Modules 9
and 10 are not directly related to human anatomy, but they give necessary introductory information. Modules 11-16 contain the human anatomy material.

Perhaps this info will be helpful to someone.

Blessings,
~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....