Science - Apologia General help starting/transitioning/Mod 1

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
dhudson

Re: Is it difficult to start Aplogia?

Unread post by dhudson » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:18 pm

My son is enjoying it after his first week. I did sit down with him to look over the first test to start training him how to take notes and that seemed to go well. He loves the experiments and has done extra work because he enjoyed it.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:04 pm

We started last week but it doesn't seem to assume any knowledge and it is pretty simple to use. He will be fine.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:30 am

I was nervous about having my son start this, but he has done very well. I love having MFW's lesson plans. The most difficult part for me is getting all the supplies for the experiments so I just ordered a complete kit which has almost everything needed for each module labeled and in separate bags. This has made it super easy to do.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

Heart4Home

Unread post by Heart4Home » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Thank you ladies! I couldn't get to check back on this until now, it's almost like a surprise present to go and find that some have responded to my question! That makes me feel better. Science isn't her strong point but hearing from you all makes me feel that will take care of itself as long as she takes notes, pays close attention etc.
Karen in SW WA
Mom to:

Daughter 13
Daughter 12
Son 9

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:18 am

Karen,

Here are some tips I'd like to share for this year.

Most likely if you've done some science in your years in MFW, you're going to be fine.

*Have your 6th grade daughter read recipes and do some cooking on her own and experiment that way. Cooking is science. Help her to follow a recipe and all of that. Let her be responsible for cleaning it up
*while doing whatever science you're doing this year, help her to make notes occasionally with new fancy science words. I missed which MFW year you're doing this year or I'd offer other specific tips on that.
*have you been doing narrations in history and such? What did we read, what did you learn..... that kind of thing? well, when they start lab reports in apologia, you'll find that writing those lab reports is a new skill based on many things you've done. So, use this year to work on that in some ways. Just a simple report of : we did this, this happened, it means this.

then next year in 7th grade, use the MFW lesson plans for Apologia - written to encourage student for working independently. Let her do experiments as much as possible on her own and clean up. The first module can be tough on many kids. take a look on donnayoung website for specific handouts for notes for tougher modules (including module 1) as well as formats for lab write ups in General science.

in the General Science book itself, you'll find a link to a part of the apologia website with other helps and hints. Encourage your daughter to use them (supervise the internet usage of course...)

I think you'll be fine.

-crystal

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Just a note about the first test in Apologia. Last week, before my ds started on General Science I went over with him what he was expected to learn by having him look at the Study guide at the end of the module. I told him he would be expected to know that information and should plan accordingly when taking his notes. I wanted him to be prepared because I had heard here on the board that the first test was difficult. He took some great notes, studied well and got a 99% on today's test. I think it helped him to know what he was expected to learn and take notes on. Other that I haven't helped him at all. Just thought I'd share! :-)
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

cbollin

Module one test in Aplogia General Science

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:44 pm

CharleneHoell wrote:I know there was a question long ago about the module one test in Apologia General Science. My son just took the test and scored a 78%. He missed four of the scientists. Is this a fair grade? Wondering if he should take it again? Are the other tests like this? He did do all the On Your Own and the study guide, but confused scientists and theories. I would of had trouble too. ;)
Thanks,
Charlene
Module 1 is an unusal module General Science.
I would recommend any combination of the following:

1. drop the lowest test grade over the whole year when making final grade.
2. re take this test, but do it as open notes. Not open book, but open notes.

sounds like he didn't necessarily takes notes (check the solutions manual in the intro pages about that)
check donna young website for notebooking pages for this module.
http://donnayoung.org/apologia/general-worksheets.htm

also check out the online review cards here
http://wikis.engrade.com/nctgs/nctgs1

Yes, this module is very different. It's a learning curve. Treat it as such. It's a lot of information of who is who. As teacher, you can decide if you want to give extra credit or do again with any thing above.

-crystal

Ocean

Re: Module one test in Aplogia General Science

Unread post by Ocean » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:29 pm

Here is a blog that has videos to watch for each chapter. The 1st chapter is done but she;ll be doing them all year. She alreayd did physical and bio.
click on general at the top.
http://homeschoolersresources.blogspot.com/

Ocean ;)
Ocean ;)
dd13
dd16

cbollin

Need help teaching study skills to 7th grader

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Winni wrote:I especially liked Crystal's "open notes" idea. I'm wondering...should she do this for every test for a while? Or, is that a bad idea? :~
hmmm.... I would try as much as possible to wean from open notes sooner rather than later. I know for the module 4 test, I was totally fine with having a formula sheet for the mechanical advantage problems. and on module 1, I feel comfortable with the notes on the scientists to refer to.

after that first test, they get a little wake up call on it in most cases. eek! I have to know this? huh? so it's more of how to help a student identify how she learns and studies best. Well, for some of that, I draw on my memories from back then... a million or so decades ago when I was a 7th grader. can you believe this? my 7th grade teacher's last name was pagan. but she was a Christian... anyway...

I would recommend taking the time to help the student figure out how she learns best. It is from copying down the definitions? Is it from from having some one to quiz her out loud on definitions and things like that? Would she benefit from going over the module summaries on one day after the study guides and therefore take the test on Friday? Would she do well to make her own lapbook with the definitions and study from that? I'm not saying to run out and buy the expensive knowledge box central lapbook (pre printed is really nice), but something like that might be a kind of study aid for some students. My middle daughter is using it not to make a lapbook, but to have a place to write down the On Your Owns and Study Guide, and to have pre formatted lab reports to fill in. I know it's thick and cha ching!

I know for the first quarterly test, I rewrote the test a bit so that it was more of fill in the blank and/or matching and/or multiple options instead of all short answer. I know my oldest was totally fine with the college prep feel of short answers to the test questions, but part of me is thinking, hmmm.. middle gal needs a few more of these questions to have reasonable options to select. I originally rewrote the test as a practice for her and extra study other than just the study guides and module summaries. She got an A on it.

but most of the stuff that my 7th grader learned that she had to learn how to learn: getting definitions to stick -- so that was part of memory work and rewording definitions.

another thing that has helped is having take notes while reading. Make sure you go back and re-read the section in the intro of the text and solutions manual about what the children should be doing with the text to take notes.

I try to find 3-5 minutes or so to have my middle daughter recite definitions after the reading. So, I look for ways to have her narrate to me.

We're also using the audio CD of the text so she hears someone reading it to her. And in module 5, we had to let some of the information settle a day or two and repeat it.

I think it generally gets better after module 1. Not as many people to remember and it becomes more of concepts. I haven't done any other open note tests so far with middle gal with the exception of the scientist names, and formula for mechanical advantage.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Need help teaching study skills to 7th grader

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:28 pm

I think you know your child best. Would it be a help or would it promote bad habits? 7th grade isn't something with a huge standard out there that you have to represent with integrity. It's just a middle year where you step it up a bit. Some kids need a helping hand, and others need to face reality. I do tend to be on the flexible side, but I'd look at what the child is doing in various subjects. Are there other areas where you're setting the bar higher, or is this going to be it this year? Will your particular child use it as an excuse not to make an effort, or will it motivate her to feel she can succeed? Each of my kids was different :)

Woops, I see Crystal & I were answering at the same time. Having both our answers should give you a good range for different kids ;)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: Need help teaching study skills to 7th grader

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:38 pm

agreeing with Julie.
and even within my children, each had very different needs. and motivations were different.
I think Julie and I agree on one part of the range --- gradual transition to independence is more important than it being perfected by module 2.

My middle daughter is on the very gradual going, and weaning from needing a lot of my help. My plan is that by next year, she might only need me in science as a lab partner. So, yes, I make the time to spend with her to go over definition and be a study buddy, and even help her go back and learn how to look for answers on study guide questions. yes, it means I have to carve out that time each day, but it's ok.
But she really seems to like the science challenge and the thought of "ooh... I get be older and do this.. wow. can I do it?" is appealing to her. Same thing with her math book so far.

but with the Progeny Press guide (Blackbird Pond), I was right there for the whole thing. She wasn't all that ready to dissect the book without more guidance.

-crystal

Missy OH

Re: Module one test in Aplogia General Science

Unread post by Missy OH » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:29 am

I just want to add that in our house all first tests of the year are open book. This helps them get used to the format of the tests and also gives us a little more time for our brains to get into gear at the beginning of the year. If my child struggled with the first test, I might consider letting the second one be open book, too.

Blessings,
Missy

Julie in MN

Science Questions

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:25 am

Aiming4Him wrote:My dd will be in 7th next year but struggles with auditory processing, memorizing and getting her thoughts on paper. She loves to read and learns visually and hands on (especially). I'm wondering if she will be able to handle Apologia next year. I have two older dss who have done it and I know it is challenging with all the memorizing etc.. I want her to actually learn and enjoy science even though I don't think she's headed into the science field. Anyone have experience with this? Should I use a different science curriculum?

Thanks for your feedback!
Hi Aimee,
Of course there are other science options, but if you want to make Apologia work, there have been folks who adapted it in different ways, including:
- listening to the audio version
- open book tests, at least at first
- taking longer than a year

Hopefully you'll get more ideas tomorrow :)
Julie

cbollin

Re: Science Questions

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:42 am

Aimee,
Using General Science in 7th grade with a child who struggles with auditory processing. Well, that would be my middle gal. Middle Gal was in speech/language therapy from age 3-9. she's still kind slow on language processing.... Apologia really clicks with her.

We got the audio CD to listen. She pauses it to answer the On Your Own Questions. We pause to do the experiments together. She is not fully 100% "independent" in Apologia and I'm glad for that. I super splurged in budget for her and got a "lapbooking" kit from Knowledgebox Central. However, we don't actually make the pages into those folder books. Instead, we use the pages as study guide helpers, and pre printed lab report set ups. That way, as she comes to a new vocab word in the book, she can copy the definition on the lapbook page without making it too fancy. For a while we were also using the journal pages in that product for the On Your Own questions - but my daughter was doing fine answering out loud to me it seemed unneeded to write the answers for retention.

I help her study for test - she does the rest of the "lapbook" pages as written work (not making a folder). I help be her study buddy with learning the vocab.

Test day:
Module 1 - we did as open notes (not open book). We used the Module 1 Scientist Notes notebooking pages on donna young site
http://donnayoung.org/apologia/general-worksheets.htm

Other module tests, I've gone to it being "jr. high level" with the vocab and we do it as matching sometimes. But that's been about the only thing I've re written for her - the test vocab. I figure in 7th grade she can do that and gradually over next couple of years she'll need that less.

I don't think we'll get the lapbooking kit for physical science though. they aren't cheap. They are very thick (we store ours -which were pre drilled for 3 hole - in a 3 inch binder). It was about 45 dollars from rainbow resource to have it pre printed and fancy color pages and all of that. it comes on CD for other options, but pre printed and pre punched and all of that.. I went for it. In retrospect we could have done it on normal paper with study guides.
so did it once with General.... I don't plan on it again in Physical.

My biggest take away? Do not think that a 7th grader has to be fully independent in General Science in the first of the year. Some children are ready. Others need a bit more gradual intro to that. Module 1 can be a sharp learning curve.

when you get there... here are ever more ways to help in Apologia General with some online co-ops and other non-mfw users helping each other out here in cyber space.

and Ocean's link to Marty's site ;) I wonder.. did she make the triolobite cookies in her co-op? hmm.. I should go find out LOL LOL LOL (edit to add.. she did them! yes! go marty!)
Between Debbie and Marty's blog and quizlet's and all of that... plenty of great resources to help all students in Apologia to succeed and learn study skills with flashcards and all of that. preview the videos of course.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11512

-crystal

cbollin

Science

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:27 am

bujah4 wrote:I am working on ECC with a 4th, 6th, and 8th grader. Next is CtG. In ECC I added Apologia science for my 8th grader and he did the ECC science as well. I was wondering for CtG is my 7th grader suppose to do the science included in the CtG AND Apologia science or is he suppose to do the Apologia science INSTEAD of the CtG science.

Also, if Apologia is suppose to replace the other science, did anyone have difficulty moving to the more independent style of the Apologia science? Thanks for the help! :)
Apologia is definitely to replace the CTG science.

in ECC, a junior high student does the "ecc prop. of ecosystems" book to enrich the geography time in their studies with some connections to "geography and science and worldview". But the Apologia book science is then for "science" at jr. high. It's a fine line distinction.

yes.. some students need a bit longer than other students in 7th grade with transition to more independent learning in science than others. It's more about learning to take notes, and tests. I'd think with doing Prop of Eco in 6th grade and doing the worksheets with it will be helpful in the transition. Also, as much as possible, allow that current 6th grader to help set up and clean up any experiments in ECC. do a simple lab report once in a while with experiments to get use to that.

There are getting to be more and more helps out there for General Science. Apologia itself is just now releasing a notebook option for General to help students with taking notes and learning that skill. There is still the donna young website on note taking pages for the "module 1" of General Science.

What I found is that it was good for me to not rush into week 1 of 7th grade as "go figure it out on your own". It was good to walk through module 1 together even if it meant that I was juggling a few levels at once. Then, the expectations were there and a few practices.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: Science

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:36 am

Hi, we're transitioning into General Science this year. I started Math and Science with my 7th grader a couple of weeks before our "official" school start time to see how much help she needs from me. (She is dyslexic.) I bought the General Science audio book so she can listen and follow along in the book. I also bought the Student Notebook from Apologia (and the Knowledge Box Central lapbook from currclick dot com). Here are how things are going right now:

1. I find it is best if I sit along with her while listening/reading the text.
2. I am her lab partner, but do try to encourage her to do most of the work. I try to help her figure out what to write. I am planning on using the lab pages that have the supply list and procedures filled in from the Knowledge Box Central lapbooks.
3. As we finish a section of reading (as assigned in the lesson plans), we go to the study guide questions (they are printed with space to write in the Student Notebook), and answer the questions that are applicable to what we just read. We also have space in the Student Notebook to write the answers for the On Your Own questions. I let my dd answer, and I write her answers (that dyslexia thing again).
4. Each day as we finish another section and answer those study guide questions, we go back over the previous study guide questions that we've already answered.
5. My dd uses this website (http://wikis.engrade.com/nctgs/nctgs1) to study for the test, as well as me quizzing her by having her answer the study guide questions without looking. If there is something she is having trouble remembering, I have her copy that on to notebook paper.
6. I type up the test in Word and add lines so she can answer each question in line (that dyslexia thing), rather than looking at the page and then writing the answer on a separate page (she's likely to accidentally skip a question if she is going from one page to another).

It is a lot of work for me, but with my dd's dyslexia she needs more help right now. As the year progresses, though, I see her taking more independent steps.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:14 pm

jasntas wrote:Trish,
I'm not the OP but thanks for your list. My dyslexic ds will be in 7th next year and I am so nervous about the higher level science. Your list really helps me feel a little more confident that he (we) can do this.
Tammie,

Those lapbooks are on sale right now, WAY off the original price, so if it is in the budget, I would get both the general and physical science ones from currclick.

-Trish
jasntas wrote:Thanks for the tip, Trish. Those lapbook journals look perfect for us.

There was originally a glitch on their site that wouldn't allow me to order but I contacted them and now it's fixed. So if anyone else was interested and tried to order but couldn't, you can now.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

mdarce

Unread post by mdarce » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:35 pm

My 7 th grader is also transitioning into Apologia very nicely, after I stressed all summer about how difficult it would be for her, and , I assumed, for me; she has never been a very independent worker and Apologia is quite a jump in difficulty level from previously. Well, we are 3 weeks into it and it's her favorite subject! Some things that have helped: We got the knowledge box lapbook journal . Its well worth the sale price. I paid full price months ago but am grateful for the resource, especially the partially completed lab reports. She also enjoys the online Quizlets (http://Www.quizlet.com , then type in apologia general in search field) for each module where the student can play matching games , take sample tests, and print vocabulary flash cards. I had read on these boards that Module 1 was really tough and i have to agree. The Quizlet flash cards with the names of all the scientists were a huge help!

Also, we make sure to have all the lab experiment materials on hand before the day of the experiment.

My daughter has really worked pretty independently with it so far. The experiments she has done entirely on her own . The lab report summaries are new to her so I have walked her through but she is catching on and doing much better than anticipated ( and better than I gave her credit for :~ )

Blessings,
Michelle

bujah4

Unread post by bujah4 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:18 am

Thank you for all of your ideas :). I will be checking out the different links and pages you mentioned.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:13 pm

rebeccal2002 wrote: Are you talking about the $10 PDF format lapbook? Is there an already printed version?
adding my experience with the knowledge box pages... I splurged for my middle child at 7th grade year and got the pre printed version. thinking.. she needed something to make it easier... ? why not try?

1. I really appreciated the lab reports. really appreciated those and it paid off as she can do Physical without pre made sheets now.
2. the "on your own" pages - eh? we ditched those after a while and just let her do those out loud to herself and self check just like older sister did. why write it down?
3. the "lap book pages" never did as lapbook! did for most modules as a way to help do the study guide questions. that's all they are.... fancy way to write out the answers to the study guide and self quiz on it. but it would have been too much to make lap books out of them even though they were almost premade for us.. what to do with them other than study.
overall.... what was the nice part about them: the lab reports were partially filled out. I just don't see the need to splurge for the On Your Own. Those are designed to be done out loud as a self check by the student who then turns to the answer and see if he got it. Those aren't intended to be written out in the first place. They are self check out loud. so that's a lot of preprinted pages...

the lap book pages -- are just pre printed on colored paper and are the exact same questions in the study guide for each module. it's nothing that isn't in the Apologia text. just fancy designs to write the answers to the study guide. Again.... depending on your child, you might do the study guide questions as out loud quizzes, or just write on regular paper.....

The pre printed version is cha ching. I think Rainbow Resource carries it. I thought it was overkill with my middle gal. but yeah.. I can see the $10 ebook for a few pages... maybe.

and another recommendation for the online quiz cards that trish linked to. whoever this debbie person is, also did one for physical
http://wikis.engrade.com/nctps/
and we're liking that for additional study time and especially with studying the vocab.

curr click has pre made vocab flash cards download for cheap... then again... Trish and I both like the site with online flashcards.... and many children will benefit from making their own instead. I know we all like pre made pretty... but there is the learning skill experience with it.......

I don't know all of currclick's stuff..... but it's the lab report pre print and format that is nice.

Another place to look:
donna young...... has a nice note sheet for Module 1, and a nice format for lab reports too. just not preprinted with procedure and materials.
I guess it can be debated if writing all of the procedure from the text is needed or not.

another option?
check out the files on Apologia_Science yahoo group.
can't remember if we mentioned that or not... I've been enjoying the files on that group. There are pages for study guides, and OYO... alternate tests, etc.....

I also found that having the vocab for the tests done as multiple choice or matching was helpful. I know by end of 12th grade it will have to be different. But my middle child still needs to be in the "regular 8th grade" class instead of the "advanced 8th graders" for science on the style of test. Most all of the rest of the apologia tests she hasn't struggled with...

-crystal

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:35 am

rebeccal2002 wrote:Not, OP, but my 7th grader will be doing Gen Sci this year. Are you talking about the $10 PDF format lapbook? Is there an already printed version? I'm having trouble with currclick's site. They say there are 3 versions, but I only see one. I already ordered the Gen Sci set available from MFW. My 7th grader hasn't done much independently yet, but I think she's capable to move that direction.

Thanks.
Yes, it's a pdf version. It's Apologia General Science 2nd Edition Lapbook Journal. HTH
rebeccal2002 wrote:Cool. I ordered it and now I just have to find the time to print it! Thanks.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

cbollin

Middle School Science...ugggh!

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:03 am

terick89 wrote:Any suggestions for 7th grade science besides Apologia? We sure loved the elementary series, but this General Science is tough! I have a struggling learner daughter and she could care less about this stuff! My boys are okay...well, their favorite part of science is when we do some sort of interesting experiment. There is SO MUCH reading for this book. I'm not ready to just let them do this on their own because it's so MUCH info.! My daughter would really struggle with this on her own! I've read on previous posts to not give up on this book, but, boy am I ready to do just that! My DD is definitely a visual learner and not great at auditory learning or processing. So, I'm just not sure what is a better fit for her. My kids are all the same age and grade, but she is my challenge. Has anyone done another science curriculum for middle school?

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.
There are lots of choices.... glance over at rainbow resource catalog for other ideas. popular choices are Answers in Genesis stuff (MFW uses some of those in elementary.. at jr. high you'd have to use more than 1 to count for whole year and do more "real labs" in my opinion.... some people go with ACE worktext stuff. It's your choices. lots of them..... not everyone has to use apologia...

HOWEVER...
What module are you on?

Would you like to hear any ideas how to use Apologia in different ways, or be encouraged that some families transition to more independent style over 8th grade? There are co-ops that use Apologia.. so it doesn't have to be "do this on your own".

It's ok to still teach and tutor your 7th graders. I tend to use apologia general/physical books with my middle gal (mild special ed child with issues in auditory processing.... ) as though she is in a regular classroom instead of in honors classroom.

We use the MP3 audio CD of the text. Put the book in front of her so it is read to her while she is reading along. She has learned to stop the recording, read charts. etc. she does the on your own, on her own (practices out loud, checks answer). We do labs together as lab partners. (that might not be an issue in your case). But then we talk about why this was telling us something.... And if needed, I retell the information to my daughter.

We use some online quiz helps. here
http://wikis.engrade.com/nctgs/nctgs1
and the same lady has one for physical.

I changed the style of test so vocab was matching/multichoice style. I did those on my own. But there is an apologia science yahoo group that has most of the test in other formats.

I did a 5 minute review on the days when the conversational style of the text overwhelmed her. and brought the info to a way she understood.

Don't feel that it has to be "100% independent during fall semester of 7th grade". it can be gradual and you can teach in a way that fits your child's needs and help them learn how to learn when something isn't in a format that fits them. trust me on that.... I have my youngest with her struggles in autism and it's a challenge. She can't learn from most of stuff in MFW. But my middle gal with milder issues and milder challenges (including auditory stuff and was in therapies for years with it).. likes apologia with some tweaks.

(((hugs))) that it is frustrating.

TriciaMR

Re: Middle School Science...ugggh!

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:02 am

{hugs}

My oldest is dyslexic. (So is one of my twin boys.) Anyhow, we still do science together. We listen to the book on CD, we do the on your own questions together. I bought the apologia student notebook and scribe the answers for my dd. we do the online review that Crystal mentioned above. I type up the tests so she can answer inline, not on separate paper. We do the labs together, and i write he answers for her. But we discuss what is going on. I ask her for sure if she understands. She is actually doing better in Science than math, but she is an auditory learner. My other dyslexic kid is much more a visual/kinestetic learner, so I've got 4 years to figure out how to teach him. He loves doing experiments, so science will be fun for him.

That first module is tough. Modules 2 & 3 have lots of experiments. Looks like modules 4 & 5 have way less in the experiment department. Maybe you could find some you tube videos that demonstrate some of the concepts?

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:52 am

Your question is about alternatives, so I'll throw out Rainbow Science as well.

But since at least 2 of your students seem to be succeeding with Apologia, I thought I'd add a few more potential helps for using what you have:

-the audiobook version that Apologia sells for like $15 (which Crystal mentioned)
-online vocabulary flashcards at Quizlet and such
-vocabulary bookmarks and other helps at Donna Young's site
-free "classroom versions" of Apologia science at Virtual Homeschool Group
-I assume you're using the planned-out daily assignments in MFW lesson plans
-little helps on the CD-ROM that comes with MFW Apologia packages

Another possibility is to stretch out this first year of upper science. We didn't get to Biology until 10th grade at our house, but that is typical at public schools around here. It does limit your options for getting to some of the cool advanced science options in the upper grades, but we focused more on the math side of things over here.

Julie

terick89

Unread post by terick89 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Yes, thank you ladies! I knew you'd pull through for me. I appreciate it. We have the audio c.d., not the other one. I figure I could summarize and it would be better than having to listen to it word for word either by me or on audio. We also have the journals. I didn't even have the first module test count for a grade. We did it together as an open book type test. Actually, my boys surprised me and knew some of the answers! However, for my daughter it went over her head. I really am trying to not stress about this, afterall, it is only 7th grade! ;) I think I'm the one having the trouble with the content...it's a little dry so far. But, I do keep hearing to not give up and it DOES get better! I had my husband really look at it and he said to just keep everything as is and not to change and to keep plugging away. I will have to modify some of it obviously as we continue with the book. I will be implementing some of your ideas as well!

As I've said before it's very helpful knowing others are going through the same situations and that others have gone before so we can glean from them.

So, again thanks for the encouragement!
Teri
DD, 13
DS, 13
DS, 13
CtG 2010-11, RtR 2011-12, Exp. to 1850 2012-13