Math - Why not continue with Singapore? Saxon transition

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
Poohbee

Is saxon easier to teach than Singapore?

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:00 am

hsm wrote:We are "supposed" to finish 5B by end of this school year so she can move on to Saxon. And, is Saxon easier to teach when we get there? Can you tell I am getting nervous here? :~
Lori, as to your question about is Saxon easier to teach...well...yes. We use the DIVE CD that comes with the Saxon package when you order it from MFW. There is a man who teaches each lesson. So, my dd watches the CD and takes notes in her notebook, doing the practice problems with the teacher. Then, she goes to the textbook to do her assignment. When I grade the assignment, I use the Solutions Manual that comes with the package, as well, and each problem is shown with the steps on how to do it. Sometimes there are a few problems that I still don't quite get how the Solutions Manual is showing them, but if I go back to my daughters textbook there are usually sample problems with an explanation just like the ones she is being asked to do on her assignment.

So, for me, Saxon is easier to teach because I'm not actually teaching it. I let the video teacher do all the work and just dig deeper when my dd has a problem or makes a mistake. Saxon includes a lot of repetition, so it can get a bit boring, but my dd surely knows her math after doing the same types of problems over and over again. It is a good, strong math program!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

hsm

Re: Is saxon easier to teach than Singapore?

Unread post by hsm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:19 pm

Poohbee wrote:So, for me, Saxon is easier to teach because I'm not actually teaching it. I let the video teacher do all the work and just dig deeper when my dd has a problem or makes a mistake. Saxon includes a lot of repetition, so it can get a bit boring, but my dd surely knows her math after doing the same types of problems over and over again. It is a good, strong math program!
This is great news to my ears! I was getting worried :-) Now, I just have to survive the rest of Singapore.... ;)
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Julie in MN

Can a student go from Singapore 5A (completed) to Saxon

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:57 pm

TammyB wrote:I know there are some new topics covered in Singapore 5B, but won't those be repeated in Saxon 8/7? Even if we needed to spend a little extra time on those particular topics, wouldn't the curriculum as a whole be okay? I looked over the table of contents for Saxon and much of it, of course, is material my son has already covered.

Is it possible to skip 5B?

By the way, my son is in 7th grade and is behind due to health issues (both his and mine). He is doing well now, and I think he would like the independence that Saxon would give him.

Thanks!
TammyI
Hi Tammy,
I think MFW recommends that 7th graders who haven't completed 5B take the Saxon placement test.
A 7th grader who has completed Singapore Level 5B or higher should begin Saxon Math at level 8/7.

All other 7th - 12th graders who are new to Saxon Math should take the Saxon Placement Test and begin where placed.
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/60/0/0/1#7th-12th
Would the placement test help? It's linked directly on the page above.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Tell me about Singapore to Saxon 7th grade

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:32 pm

scrapper4life wrote:I've spent a long time today reading archives to find some testimonials of the switch from Singapore to Saxon at 7th grade. I am mainly concerned about gaps. My dh is concerned that I do not go "curriculum hopping," as I’ve heard it termed. If this is a planned transition with proven results, I may be able to settle his doubts.
My dd transitioned from Singapore (only through 5b) to Saxon 8/7. She is slightly dyslexic. She did fine with 8/7. There weren't really gaps that I saw. We learned new stuff that I didn't expect her to know (statistics, graphing, variables) yet. The topics in 8/7 don't necessarily assume someone has gone through Saxon from the beginning. I went ahead and went from 8/7 to Algebra 1. Again, everything is building, and I'm not seeing *huge* gaps. Maybe prime numbers and square roots, but I'm not sure she would have understood them at a younger age.

What my dd liked when we did 8/7 was that often we read how Saxon solved certain types of problems (and that was fine), and then my dd would say, "Didn't we learn to solve it this way?" And she would use Singapore's method. As she has progressed, she has incorporated more methods and ideas from Saxon as she has learned them and the problems get too complex for bar diagrams. She is also seeing how to apply some methods to other types of problems (even if it isn't the same way Saxon teaches).

Due to my dd's dyslexia, it took us longer (1.5 years) to complete 8/7 - she can only do about 1 hour of math a day, and we do all the problems in the problem sets, not just the ones in the MFW lesson plans. We hope to finish Alg 1 (we started back in January) by the end of May.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

TriciaMR

Re: Tell me about Singapore to Saxon 7th grade

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:21 am

Have you checked the math FAQ's here: http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/34/Math#FAQs

It addresses why MFW chooses Singapore over Saxon for elementary, and why the switch to Saxon.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Missy OH

Re: Tell me about Singapore to Saxon 7th grade

Unread post by Missy OH » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:48 am

I have had three kids switch to Saxon from Singapore in 7th grade and one child in sixth grade and it has gone very well for all of them. We haven't had any issues.