Scheduling Grammar & Progeny Press

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
Poohbee

Re: All in One English question

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Yes, I had read somewhere on the board about the idea of skipping the beginning assessment. I have great respect for Julie and her wisdom, so I am not trying to contradict her!

I just wanted to mention, though, that in reading the notes at the beginning of the All-in-One book, it mentions giving the beginning and ending assessments so that you can see your student's growth throughout the year. I really like that idea, and it reminded me of the country pretest and posttest we took in ECC. It was so gratifying for my dd, and for me, to see that she only knew 13 countries at the beginning of ECC and she knew 86 or so at the end. I think the All-in-One assessments will be kind of like that. Even if she does terrible on the beginning assessment, I think it will be gratifying for her to see how much she's learned at the end of the school year. Just wanted to give my thoughts about using the beginning assessment. Again, I mean no disrespect to Julie at all!
Julie in MN wrote:No offense taken!

I never got the impression that Marie Hazell recommended skipping the pretest, so enjoy! Just if you have a boy like mine who melts at such things, it's nice to have options...
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Joyhomeschool

Re: All in One English question

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:05 am

Well, Im probably the odd one here.. But at convention a lady I talked to for hours about Jr. High and MFW said she just handed her daughter the All In One English and reminded her to finish it by whatever date... So thats what I did for DD. I handed her the book and told her to finish it by the end of school. I told her what I thought she needed to do each day to accomplish that. And I've not seen the book since. :) Did she do the pretest? Im not sure. She probably did. We are on Week 5 of EXP. :)
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

jasntas

Re: Progeny Press questions

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:12 pm

momtogc wrote:I've looked through the archives and I *think* understand how to use PP guides, but I want to be sure. Do I schedule a book and the guide for several weeks while taking a break from grammar instruction (All In One English is what we are using)? I've delayed in starting PP, mainly because I forgot! I don't know what happened??! But now I want to get started.

At this point we only have two weeks of school before we take our holiday break. Should I wait until January to start the guide? If so, and if I want to get two guides done before school is out, we may not make it back to grammar before the end of our school year. Is there any reason not to do grammar and PP guides at the same time? And we have moved very slowly through the grammar book, too. Dd is about halfway through now. I guess we should have been doing more than just one single lesson per day?

It's one of those years - dragging my feet I guess. :~ Thank you for any suggestions!!
I understand it the same as you, take a break from grammar instruction while completing the PP study guides.

I have really been dragging my feet this year as well.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:33 pm

My eldest dd is in the midst of doing a PP Guide right now. She is a 7th grader. I borrowed a schedule I found that Julie in MN had posted in the archives http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 047#p53926 ]. I had dd do All-in-One Grammar and Writing Strands together the first quarter of the school year, along with some free reading of books of her choice or ones I had chosen for her. The second quarter, she started the PP Guide, and I set the grammar and Writing Strands aside. She'll return to grammar, Writing Strands, and free reading the 3rd quarter and do another PP Guide the 4th quarter.

I think that my dd could probably handle doing a grammar lesson each day along with her PP Guide, but I have chosen to give her a break from grammar while she does the PP Guide. You could certainly do some of the PP Guide orally with your dd and still get in some grammar if you want to. My dd does most of the PP Guide in writing, but sometimes we discuss the questions orally instead of her writing her answers. Just depends on the day.

At the beginning of the PP Guide, it is recommended that your child read the entire book the first week and start with the guide the 2nd week, looking back at the book as needed. My dd did not want to do it that way, so she does it by section, reading the chapters of the book and then doing the corresponding section in the guide. It takes maybe 6 or 7 days for her to complete each section this way.

I think you are doing well to have finished about half of the grammar book. My dd made it through Capitalization, Punctuation, and Nouns (the first 3 sections) during the 1st quarter. I think I need to assign a bit more for her to do each day when we do it again the 3rd quarter. She still has 7 sections to get through. Or, I may just have her continue to do grammar while she does the final PP Guide during the 4th quarter.

If I were you, I would have your dd keep doing grammar (maybe have her step it up a bit and do several pages a day) until Christmas break, and then start the PP Guide after the holidays. Just a suggestion for you. And, you could maybe give your dd a break from doing grammar for a little while and see how she does with the PP Guide and then gradually work the grammar back in.

It would be a good idea to call the MFW office and see what they suggest in your situation. Maybe you should only try to do one PP Guide this year so that you can get the grammar book done, or maybe you could do grammar along with the PP Guide. I think it would be good to see what they recommend at the MFW office.

Anyway, that is how it has gone at our house. :-) Hope you figure out what works for you.
Jen

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:43 pm

We did the grammar and PP guides together last year (and again this year). I didn't see how to get the grammar books done without scheduling 2 or 3 lessons a day, and that's too much for us (dd is dyslexic). We're doing Applications of Grammar this year...

I did let my dd read the first book over the summer before starting the PP guide, and will probably have her read the next book over our Christmas break so she is at least familiar with the book before tackling the next guide. I would have your child read the book over the break to get familiar with the book, and then do the PP guide when you start back up. Just my thoughts.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

momtogc

Unread post by momtogc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:28 pm

When we started All In One English I don't know why I thought it was just one lesson per day...? I didn't count on stopping for Progeny Press, I guess.

Starting today I'm adjusting by having dd do more than one grammar lesson per day for the next couple of weeks. Over the holiday break dd will read the book (The Witch of Blackbird Pond) then start the study guide when we resume in Jan. I like the suggestion of letting her do the study guide with no grammar. I want her to focus, and get used to using the guide. Then with the next study guide I may try adding some grammar along so she can finish it by year end. We are going to give it a try!

Next year I will plan better knowing we will do two more PP guides!

Thank you for all the responses. You guys are awesome and so helpful! :-) :-)
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Just jumping in here, and very late, but I am sure glad you asked your question. We are almost done with the All-in-One and I don't know how we got through the book so quickly (I usually struggle to finish in time - but that one has been going quicker). So - I've wondered what to do when we finish the All-In-One book!

I had not thought of replacing grammar with the PP guide! But - in fact, I think I could - and what a relief - because we are LAGGING through Witch of Blackbird Pond - so if I put a hold on grammar - it would really help. We could easily squeeze in the last 2 parts of the All-In-One book between this one & Johnny Tremain. I barely have time to get online or on this forum anymore, but when I glean great advice, I am so glad I did! Thanks for great advice!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

TriciaMR

Applications of Grammar

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat May 03, 2014 11:00 pm

Kelly1730 wrote:For those of you who have used this, how did you schedule it? It has 76 lessons. Were you able to complete it in one year? I will be using this with my rising 7th graders and could extend it to two years if needed. Just wondering what others have done. Thanks!
Yes, doing 3 lessons a week (counting Tests as a lesson), we will be completing by the end of our school year.
Kelly1730 wrote:Wonderful! Thanks, Trish!
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Poohbee

Progeny Press guides in CtG

Unread post by Poohbee » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:46 am

hsm wrote:Does the TM tell us when to do the PP guides? Just curious because The Golden Goblet is in book basket and I was wondering if I should have my dd start the guide or if it is scheduled later in the year. I looked through the TM and didn't see it but I could have missed it. Thanks!
No, I don't believe the TM tells you when to do them...just that you should plan to do 2 during the year. There is an archive somewhere on the board in which Julie talks about the schedule she used with her son. I really liked that and used it last year with my dd. I think it went something like this. (I divide my year into quarters...about 9 weeks per quarter).

1st qtr.--free reading of classics or other such books while doing All-in-One English or Applications of Grammar and Writing Strands
2nd qtr.--Progeny Press guide (no English or writing?)
3rd qtr.--free reading with English and writing
4th qtr.--Progeny Press guide

That worked well for us when my eldest was a 7th grader last year. During the first PP guide, I didn't do the English or writing with my dd because I just wanted her to get used to using the PP Guide, and those guides do contain vocabulary and writing. However, during the 4th quarter, I had her continue with her All-in-One English, because she wasn't finished with the book and I wanted her to finish before the end of the school year. Those English lessons didn't take too much time each day.

This year, for 8th grade, we will use a similar schedule. However, I think I will have her continue Applications of Grammar and writing while she uses the PP guide. If she didn't continue with English, I don't think she'd finish it before the end of the year. And for writing, I can plan to have her do her writing lessons on days when she is just reading the book for the PP guide and not doing any actual writing in the guide. (The PP guide recommends the child reading the book the first week and then doing the guide, going back into the book to check for information. My dd likes to read the book one chapter at a time and then do the activities in the guide, so she ends up reading for a few days and then doing guide activities for a few days). I'm also going to use PP guides 2nd and 3rd quarters this year, with her free reading being 1st and 4th quarters.

If you are planning to use The Golden Goblet, I would go ahead and have your dd read it and do the PP guide while you are studying that time period. That is why I am having my dd do a PP guide 3rd quarter rather than 4th quarter. She will read Number the Stars while we are learning about WWII and the Holocaust, and she will do the PP guide with that book. It fits with the time period we are studying.

That's just how we've done it, based upon a schedule Julie used, and it has worked well for us. I think you'll find her schedule if you look in the 7th/8th archives or the language arts archives and read about Progeny Press guides. :-)
Jen

hsm

Re: Progeny Press guides in CtG

Unread post by hsm » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Thank you so much for the reply! That did help me. I think I will have her start The Golden Goblet. The timing is good. She will enjoy a break from All in One English ;)

Off to search the archives!
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Julie in MN

How do you use All in One English?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:38 pm

klewfor3 wrote:I didn't realize my 6th grader should be using this book already :~ I realized my mistake and asked him to do the assessment test. That didn't go well....it was LONG.

Do we do one exercise a day? Does he write all his answers on a separate sheet of paper? Can he just correct the book? He's my one that I have to push to write. He doesn't enjoy it. So, if it is ok that he just correct the book, it will be a good day in our homeshool!
Hi Kathy,
My pencil-allergic son did his AIO work right in the workbook. It was messy sometimes and made it harder for me to correct, but it worked for us.

We also skipped the pretest, after he protested that he could already tell me he didn't know anything about grammar (a bit of an exaggeration, but we started with that).

As far as him correcting his own work, I didn't have my son do that. He wouldn't have been able to learn from that, it would have been just mindless busywork for him. (I took the answer key out of the book anyways, just because it was easier to correct with the answer page alongside the workbook page.) But each student is different and some are very successful with self-correction.

As far as how much to do each day, I posted about how we did it, back in the day:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 047#p53926
There are other ideas in the 6-8th grade archive. Some did Grammar whenever the grid said "English" and did Progeny Press/literature whenever the grid said "Reading." Here are some more ideas:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4359

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Re: How do you use All in One English?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Skipped the pretest. My boys write in the book. We do a lesson a day, two days a week (my boys are also doing Intermediate Language Lesson 3 days a week - but I need fuller days 5 days a week because of state requirements, so that helps).

I go over it with my boys, and do at least the first question from each exercise in the lesson with them.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

klewfor3

Re: How do you use All in One English?

Unread post by klewfor3 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks for the help!

Since my ds is in 6th grade, I am not using progeny press yet. I am going to try to figure out how many exercises there are and divide them up by the number of days of school we have left.

And, Julie I agree with you, I won't have him correct his work. After his assignments, he is ready to be done. I'll do the correcting. Trish, it is so encouraging to hear that it is possible to do the exercises twice a week and cover the material. Whew! If we put in a few 5 days in a row we should get caught up quickly. I can't stand being behind. ;)

I visited both of your links. You have beautiful families. I am so sorry for your loss Julie.
It was nice to find out a little more about other MFW families!
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

Julie in MN

Still need help All in One Eng

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:58 pm

klewfor3 wrote:I am still wondering how to pace our year using All in One English. Ok, so here's what we're doing for Language Arts for my sixth grader...ILL - one exercise a day - 3 days a week, AIOE - one exercise a day- 3 days a week, WS 2 days a week.

I counted how many lessons are left in AIOE and counted 150. %| How are we going to get it done by the last week? Did I count something wrong?
My first thought is that it's to be done 5 days a week, since it's not done alongside Progeny Press like it used to be in 7th. I would guess you have somewhere close to 150 school days left, does that sound about right?

Adding AIO is a step up in time spent on language arts in 6th, but that seems like a good move.

This is a new plan this year, so calling the office may be your best bet. If you do find something out, you could post it here for others :)

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

klewfor3

Re: Still need help All in One Eng & update on memorizing Ja

Unread post by klewfor3 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:48 am

Thank you Julie!

I didn't realize I was supposed to do AIOE 5 days a week. Aha!! We are starting week 10 on Monday so we are actually a little behind....but we have plenty of time to get caught up. Especially in the beginning of the book where the work is a little easier. Thanks for the insight.

Kathy
Kathy
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850

betancourt6

Unread post by betancourt6 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:58 pm

Great advice for Kathy, Julie! I wouldn't expect any less! ;)

Kathy~ I totally understand and feel your concerns, because that is exactly what I was thinking earlier this month! My son is in 6th using Expl-1850 as well, and the AIOE set up was making me feel a bit nervous, especially with more time being spent on LA for 6th. We ended up (per my son's suggestion) doing a lesson per day for AIOE, like Julie suggests. We are moving along quite well with it now, so that is probably what is best. Believe it or not, I am still trying to find a good "groove" for WS and ILL. For some strange reason, we cannot seem to those 2 books on a smooth time table weekly. Would you mind sharing how you've got it all planned out with AIOE, ILL, and WS? This mama needs a better system. :-)

Blessings,

Jackie B.
The Betancourt 6:
Jackie B.
Married for 21+ years to Joe
Sons 21 & 11, Daughters 16 & 14
2015-2016: Expl-1850, AHL, US to 1877

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:30 am

Hi Jackie!

Hope you had a good weekend!

You know, I have to admit we finally found our groove for WS and ILL this year. (My son always felt like "ILL" was a good acrostic because he was not a fan of English ;) )

So....we do one lesson of ILL and AIOE on M,T,W. (I don't have him memorize the poems because we are memorizing James this year.)

We do one lesson AIOE and WS3 on Th and F.

Regarding WS, I was really confused by the break down of days in the textbook. Finally this year, I decided to teach until I feel like there is a natural stopping point. And now, when I go over it, I don't sit next to my son. His sister is in 4th now and to teach them together I stand up at the white board, read the assignment, and write any examples or instructions on the board. Believe it or not, this has been a breakthrough for us. I think it may have been overwhelming for my son to have me sit next to him while writing. He didn't like writing...at all. And this year has been totally different.

As far as time spent in each book, it is not a lot! I am intentional about getting the meat of the lesson and moving on. As long as he grasps the concept, I am happy. English is not his thing....actually, he is really good at it but he feels like it is tedious. Keeping that in mind, we don't skip assignments but I try to keep it moving for him.

I hope any of my rambling helps. If you have any tips that have worked for you, I'd love to hear them as well!

Have a good day!
Kathy
Kathy
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850