Science - MFW lesson plans, schedule, CD in package

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
Susan on the Space Coast

Science - MFW lesson plans, schedule, CD in package

Unread post by Susan on the Space Coast » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:07 pm

Apologia lesson plans from MFW
sewardmom wrote:For those of you who have or are currently using Apologia General Science - Are the lesson plans really helpful to you and if so do you use them regularly? Could you describe what they are like? Why do you like them?
Thanks!
~Terri
I'll answer w/o looking....
I have my daughter use the lesson plans. It tells her how far to read, which On Your Own questions to complete, any experiments for the day, and most importantly what to watch on the CD.

I find it very helpful, to make sure she gets done what she needs to do in a day; otherwise, she probably wouldn't get it done in two weeks per module. It doesn't look like we'll finish the book this year, just b/c she would "forget" to do her science. This year I got each of my children their own "homeschool planner" for their separate assignments in Math, Language and Spelling, and her science. My 2nd grader also had additional state study material while we were doing our intense history study. So for my daughter's science I would write down each day of the week, and which "Day" she was supposed to get done. I guess Apologia might offer this, but it was simply a matter of checking it off. Also, it provides a place to put test scores.

HTH,
Susan
wife to Tim (22 yrs.), mommy to Emily (17, graduate), Daniel (15), and Megan (13)
Have taught MFWK through 1850-MT; High School

cbollin

Marie's lesson plans for Apologia Physical Science?

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:21 am

Jen in Maine wrote:I'm not currently a MFW user, but I am interested in the lesson plans Marie has written for the Apologia Physical Science. I have one child who will be using this for her 9th grade science. Science is not a strong subject for her, and I'd like clear daily lesson plans to keep her on track.

I'm not seeing a sample page of how these plans are laid out here on the website. Could anyone tell me, generally, how they are laid out? How many experiments are usually scheduled per week? Recommended daily time spent on this course? If only scheduled for 4 days a week, is it going to take a longer school year for this subject to fit it all in, or is she having them studying the material longer on each of those 4 days? Any other comments on the lesson plans and how they are working for you would be appreciated! Thanks so much.
Jen
Jen,

My oldest is in the General Science this year. I'm assuming that the physical science plans are very similar. But someone else will have to fill in that info specific. While waiting for that.......

The General Science plans are working great for us.

There is a section at the beginning to help parent and child learn how to go through the textbook.
Then a section to record tests.
a master list of supplies needed for whole year broken into categories.

then on to the daily plans.
The General Science plans are set up to do each Module in about 2 weeks time and usually assumes a 4 day week, some are 5 day weeks when you have a test and quarterly test. So it is designed to be done in 34 school weeks. Daily time? uhm... about 30-45 minutes depending on how fast your child reads and takes notes???? seems consistent with what the Apologia General Book itself recommends.

In each module:
Starts off with a list of all supplies needed for that module.
Then a day to day check list of how far to read (it lists the actual pages), what to watch/listen on the multimedia CD, what experiment to do.

It's set up for ease for student to work more independently.

Hope some of that helps a bit.

-crystal

Lucy

Re: Marie's lesson plans for Apologia Physical Science?

Unread post by Lucy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi Jen,

The lesson plans are set up the same for each year since Apologia sticks to a similar lay out each year (at least they have been the same up through Biology). Each module is studied for 2 weeks using 8 days (or 4 days per week). I found that one of my kids needed an extra day to complete the study guide so I had her work on Friday the first week of the module. We also used the extra days for catch up if any work was not completed by Friday. Having a schedule makes it so much easier to move through the material and to keep up with where a child is.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Jen in Maine

Re: Marie's lesson plans for Apologia Physical Science?

Unread post by Jen in Maine » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:12 am

Thanks for sharing - sounds like it would really be helpful!

Jen

LSH in MS

Apologia scheduling - General science

Unread post by LSH in MS » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:24 pm

HSmommi2mine wrote:My plan for this year (like every year :-) ) was to do history (exp - 1850) 3 days a week and do Science 2 days a week. I rearrange the MFW plan a bit to do this. I have always been able to fit a week's worth of history into 3 days and a week's worth of science into a day or two.

Is this still going to work with General Science?
My 7th grader is starting General science in a few weeks. I looked at the lesson plans and it is scheduled for 4 days per week. They recommend doing it Monday through Thurs so Fridays can be less intense or a catch up day. I don't think this book will work like the elementary science lessons. It is designed for them to do independently but I am going to have my son start it early so I have time to walk him through the first module. I hope he will be able to handle it after that. Now I will still do science with my younger ones but I am putting my 6th grader in charge of the experiments. We will still be all together for History and Bible, but science is definitely different once you have one in middle school.
HSmommi2mine wrote:I dislike doing science and history everyday. I prefer to focus on one or the other. Can it be done in 2 days a week if we aren't doing history those days and if I schedule the test for a separate day?
If you only do science 2 days a week then you are looking at a long session, probably 2 hours each day.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

cbollin

Re: Apologia scheduling - General science

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:46 pm

Lori gave you the time frame.... (I'm thinking that includes time to write lab reports too?) Some of the weeks (every 4th module) will be 5 day weeks in order to allow for taking of a module (chapter) test and a quarterly test. But the other weeks are 4 day.

My oldest did have some days where she read ahead of a section, or days that she did all of the experiments close together. I just don't think we did it only 2 days a week most of the time so I'm not sure from my own experiences. You want to let them have time to study for the test day too. That's built into the schedule.

I'd check with people who might have done Apologia jr. high science once a week in co-ops how they do it. I'm guessing it would have to be lots of homework to get the lab reports done.

one other thing to evaluate will be processing and retention of the material.

many people think the 1st module is longer than most of the rest of them, so you might plan to take a little longer on that one.

I'm not sure it's going to well as well as it had in younger years. It'll be interesting to hear how it goes for you. never know... but I'm not sure I'd want to do it that way.

-crystal

mom2boys

Re: Apologia scheduling - General science

Unread post by mom2boys » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:50 am

I am agreeing with Lori & crystal. I think it would be a lot to do in just 2 days a week. We do Apologia Science lab through our co-op. It is just doing & discussing the experiments. All reading, lab reports and tests are done at home. The co-op teacher does grade the lab reports. That being said I still think it would be too much for my son to do all the reading, lab reports, and studying in just two days a week. He still does better with shorter sessions more often (a CM elementary strategy) even though he will be 8th grade this year. If you really want to try it, maybe give your student what you think is a reasonable amount of time to work on Science and set the timer. The after the first two or three modules see how long it has taken and if that pace will allow you to finish in a year - if that is your goal. I would not base this on the first module alone because that one is so different from the rest.

Hope you can glean something from our experience. Best wishes as you explore what works for your family.
~Charlotte
loving my Hubby and 3 sons 16, 13, 7
Used MFW since 2004

ManyXsBlessed

How long for Apologia General Science?

Unread post by ManyXsBlessed » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:51 am

dhudson wrote:I am trying to schedule my ds and I needed to know approx. how long per day does it take to do a MFW daily lesson plan. He loves to read and is very quick if that helps. We love Science so we'll probably do all the experiments. Also, is it better to do everyday or should I block schedule it?

Thanks so much!
We use MFW 4 day schedule and it takes less than 30 minutes most of the time.
Erin
Mom to 3 boys (12, 10, and 7) and a baby girl
MFW EX-1850, Winter Promise LA, Apologia Gen, Teaching Textbooks, and A Beka

cbollin

Re: How long for Apologia General Science?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:09 pm

I like to use MFW's lesson plans. Those plans are designed for General Science to be 4 days a week on most weeks. Some weeks (every 4th module) it is 5 days a week to include time to study and take the quarterly tests. Each module has a test too.

and I like that it is more independent in nature for the kids. but I was available as a lab partner if needed. Time to let them schedule themselves.

I honestly don't know how many minutes per day my oldest spent on General Science. We're not rigid schedulers that way. We're moving down the grid types. It wasn't just reading. She's a fast reader. There was also time for experiments and more importantly, doing lab reports. But we get stuff done and move on.

I'd guess.... 30-45 minutes. and only on the upper end of that because she needed more time to write her lab reports. She did them in Word and used the templates on donnayoung's site. then she'd email them to me.

There were times where we did a set of experiments on the weekend just because of life schedules. maybe that is what block scheduling is. I don't know.

My goal was to make sure she did one module every 2 weeks to "stay on track" with the syllabus.

I doubt any of that will help you since we school so differently. but there it is anyway. oh and.. the first module is not the best gauge of how the year will go. but check out the donna young site for a study page for that module

-crystal

cbollin

Re: How long for Apologia General Science?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:24 pm

dhudson wrote:Basically :) , block scheduling is to do more than one day's work on a certain day. For instance, I could put 4 days of Science into all one day or split the four days into 2. So I would take MFW's plans and have my ds do two of their schedule on one day. This helps me because there are days in our schedule (with piano, soccer, Bible Bowl and First Lego League) that are busier than others and allows me to make the length of days fit what else needs to be fit in that day. i don't know if that's what I'll do but it gives me that option.
oh. well, this is my experience. your mileage may vary.

I don't think it is a good idea to jam pack 4 days of Apologia General Science into 2 days on a regular basis.
It's not elementary anymore. I have this concern that if someone goes that route, it will be like shoving it in their throats and they'll puke it on a test and be done. But will they really learn it? It's a lot in those modules. But then again, I think Cadam is going to try to block or LCC it. maybe the two of you will be the exception and it will work for your kids.

cbollin

General Science Advice Needed

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:34 pm

angelsoup wrote:General Science Advice Needed (1st ed)
Do you think it would really benefit us to get the cd?
Also, how does Marie do the lesson plans? Is it just reading and lab assignments or are there tips to the parents/students? Is it as straightforward as the Singapore plans that just give the daily assignments? Would it also benefit us to get a copy of these?
MFW still sells 1st edition plans. I assume they are set up a lot like the 2nd edition General Science.

*You get a year at a glance supply list.
*You get a supply list for each module.
*Day to day: read this much of the chapter and stop. Do this experiment (the multimedia CD is optional, but fun), study for the test today, take test tomorrow.

It's a different design from the donna young plans. Her plans are week 1 with 5 day check boxes going across the page. MFW's (don't you wish they'd put a sample for module 1 or something on the website? why should I type all of this......) MFW's day to day, but it goes down the page, then turn the next page for the next week. So similar info, but MFW's are spread on the page a bit more. I'm not explaining it well. if they just had a sample. There were some tips in there for some things. But that's 2nd edition....... not 100% sure on 1st edition......

*and a place to record test grades. not a place to fret too much on grading of individual lab reports.

My daughter is doing Apologia jr. high independently. So she needs the help to schedule and pace herself. and we enjoy the notes at the front of the plans, and the place for record keeping and all of that. It's also my kid's responsibility to get the supplies on my grocery list.

the multimedia CD is nice for hearing words said, and for some extra videos to watch on a topic every once in a while.
I know we enjoyed several videos on the CD in several units. It wasn't just "graphics" (this is all 2nd edition of course).
My oldest liked seeing the occasional demo on there with things that we just couldn't do at home.

We found it helpful to have the vocabulary words pronounced to prevent my daughter from reading and internalizing the words with an accent on the wrong syllable or something. Nothing like hearing homeschool kids who can't say those fancy new words they are learning from self study.

But if you don't want to spend the money on the CD, it is totally optionally.
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: General Science Advice Needed

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:52 pm

I have the 1st edition ones & they sound the same. There is intro material for the year, and then for each module there is prep (or heads-up) & a lab supply list, followed by lists of things to do each day. Those things might include page numbers, topic of the day, related portions of the CD, experiment, questions to answer, study guide, or text.

Julie
P.S. Lucy described the supply lists here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3993
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

angelsoup

Re: General Science Advice Needed

Unread post by angelsoup » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:49 pm

Ladies you have all been very helpful and I appreciate it.
Crystal, Thanks for taking the time to type it all up for me. You are so right, about the pronunciation and the homeschooling kid.

Blessings and Peace!
Debra
Mom to William (13) and Joshua (11)
MFW Adventures '06-'07
ECC '07-'08
Back to the Basics '08-'09
CtoG '09-'10

cbollin

general science schedule

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:04 pm

faithmom wrote:Could you help me out a little with the General Science schedule? Is it something like the Singapre Math schedule? I think I read it is a 4-day schedule. Is that correct? I saw where another company has a 5-day schedule planned. I assume that just means the student is doing more each day. I don't want to overwhelm my son because he absorbs things a little slowly. Would a 5-day thing be better?
The Singapore plans and Apologia plans aren't all that much alike in my opinion to compare. I'll just describe the Apologia plans.

In General Science in the MFW plans, each module (chapter) is given 2 weeks to cover.
There are 16 modules.
So, that's 32 weeks to cover the year.

The model of 2 weeks to cover the chapter and when to stop for each day's lesson comes from the natural flow of the chapter.

Most weeks are 4 days a week in General. This includes time to study and take the test. Several options are given for how to incorporate the "quarterly tests". And one of those options means there are pairs of 5 day weeks in the plans.

You'll have time to spread out a module a little (especially that first one if needed) and not be behind. In my real life -- we spread it out a bit so that labs were written on the Friday or weekend. You could use the Fridays to review all of the things in the previous 4 days, and/or finish lab reports or check notes. Module one -- if you have a slower reader, that module might be a good one to plan to take 3 weeks to cover and study and learn how to take notes.

ok.. I looked at that other company's 5 day sample of General and compared it to MFW's General. what I noticed is the following about that other company's week 18-- Module 9.

both of these curriculum providers break up the reading and experiment and multimedia cd viewings: the same amount of time and pages and all of that. same amount of reading each day. same amount of labs, etc. hmm...... so why the 4 vs. 5 day thing? hmm.......

What is unclear as it is not shown on that company's sample is how that company handles studying for test and taking the test. It would be interesting to see that.

the other thing I noted: what that other provider calls Week 18, is the same thing that MFW has as "week 17"
I'm guessing the difference in numbering might be due to how tests and quarterly tests are handled. MFW gives a few options for that one week difference. Or possibly in how module 1 is handled from the start. That could account for one week difference as well. I honestly am grabbing at ideas since I don't have a full version of the other plans.

so, I would guess both of these companies are following the natural flow of the textbook.

Module 1 differences:
ok... the other one takes it more slowly than MFW (or the text). You can still get MFW's plans and adjust for that week via some free module 1 helps on donna young's site and plan to start General Science maybe a few days ahead of starting back the full academic year. donnayoung site has some notebooking pages for taking notes in that module.

So, based only on the samples shown... I don't think the other company's plans are designed to take the entire book slower, but just that first module.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: general science schedule

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:10 pm

faithmom wrote:I guess I'm a bit nervous about moving into 7th grade - whether or not we are ready. :~
I felt the same way. It helps to remember that as homeschoolers we don't have to make a complete transformation in one day. Just move forward one step at a time, and you'll be where we are at the end of 8th -- much more comfortable and amazed at the progress that's been made!

Julie

Julie in MN

Apologia Science for 7-8 graders

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:51 pm

cjgrubbs wrote:Utilizing the MFW lesson plans, are these lessons to be done independently by the student? If not, how do you teach this? Read the lesson with the child? Review only? Make notes on the board like in public school? As we are approaching high school I feel like we aren't doing enough to prepare him for high school and college level work.

I'm considering using Apologia for 8th grade next year for him. However, I won't have time to "teach" him every lesson with 3 younger sibs (one who is coming home from China in March). I need him to be able to effectively work independently. He likes science, but falls on the lazy side when it comes to thoroughness. We are doing God's Design series right now and he worked through the last unit independently. He didn't complete all the worksheets or the boxes intended for older students. It reflected in his grade of 72 on the test.
I think in an ideal world, you would begin the new program alongside your son, showing him what you pay attention to, where you might write things down or highlight, or whatever way works best for you to learn the material solidly in anticipation of passing a test on it. You would show him how to follow the lesson plans, when to stop and do an experiment, and so on. And then continuing in this ideal world, your son would eventually tell you that he already knows how to do this and you don't need to sit alongside of him any longer.

Of course our worlds are not always ideal... And each family and each student will be different...

My youngest is an 11th grader and we are still doing reminders about how he is not supposed to just check off boxes, but he is instead supposed to learn and know the material. Fortunately, he's doing pretty well in his college courses he's taking alongside, so he has learned some skills even if I don't see them in practice very often. Deep down, he's a lackadaisical, way youngest -- I think there is more hope in this area if you have a typical oldest child :)

Julie

momonthemove

Re: Apologia Science for 7-8 graders

Unread post by momonthemove » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:15 pm

We are doing Apologia General Science with my 7th grader now. There is a booklet that comes with MFW that outlines daily assignments, etc. That works and is nice.

As far as how we do it.....not well. :( DH loves it. Son....not so much. I kept explaining to my hubby the challenges I had and how our son was responding to it. The first several lessons we did together reading aloud. Then he started reading and I knew he was quickly losing interest in science (a passion usually!) So, DH took over in the evenings and on weekends with him. I am glad he did, but here is what we have figured out.....it still is not my son's style. And, we are leaning towards a more matter of fact (less tangents) to keep him focused. I am also looking at videos for instruction. He likes to listen to a lecture and then read. I figure, if he likes that, okay.

I don't know what Apologia 8 is like. I do know, that for us, it wasn't going to be highly independent because it didn't fit his style. My son is usually motivated and doesn't have issues with doing work when he is interested and invested. Never got to the invested stage with him....so, it has been much more teacher intensive. That would be my question for your son if he didn't do all the work, will he read through things quickly just to get done or to completely understand? Will he take the time to think through the on your own questions? Or, will he just do bare minimum on those?

I am not saying it won't work, but my fear would be that you will have to do more checking in. Just my thoughts. I could totally be off base....and it wouldn't be the first time! LOL ;)
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

TriciaMR

Re: Apologia Science for 7-8 graders

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi. We're doing General Science this year with my 7th grader. She is dyslexic, so I got the audio CD for her (us) to listen to while we follow along in the book. This year is not very independent for us. We save science for after lunch when I am done with the younger ones. I also got the Notebook from apologia to fill in. While we are working toward being more independent this year, my dd still needs lots of guidance. (And remember, high school students and college students still have teachers/instructors/professors to guide the students.)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

I can't get the EC Gen Sci Multimedia CD to work wiwindo

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:23 pm

whipper92 wrote:So frustrated with windows 8! I have Exploring Creation with General Science 2nd edition and the video clips won't play on windows 8.
Any advice??
Have you gone through the Apologia FAQs, to see if your particular problem is on there?
http://www.apologia.com/index.asp?proc=pg&pg=69

If you don't hear from anyone else, I could try loading one of our Apologia disks onto my laptop with Windows 8, to see what happens. But I noticed when mine was new, I had to be sure all kinds of little things were installed and connections were made to tell my computer what program to use to open particular things.

Best wishes,
Julie

whipper92

Re: I can't get the EC Gen Sci Multimedia CD to work wiwindo

Unread post by whipper92 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Thank you SO MUCH Julie!!! Fix #2 worked and I have that page bookmarked. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question!!!!
Julie in MN wrote:Woohoo!

Enjoy the smoother path :)

MelissaB

Re: Apologia Science

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:23 pm

annaz wrote:Does General and Physical MFW lesson plans have you do all the experiments in these books? Or do they not do some of them?

Are the plans on a 4-day schedule or a 5-day schedule?
Hi, Anna,
We're doing Apologia General Science this coming year. I can't answer your question about the experiments.

But I've gone over the curriculum plan, and it looks like it's a 4-day week with 34 weeks.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

annaz

Unread post by annaz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks, Melissa.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Yes, every experiment in General & Physical is scheduled... Not that we *did* every one of them - some of them we have done in previous years... :) (Shhhh, don't tell!)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

annaz

Unread post by annaz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks, Melissa.

Trish, LOL...I think your secret is out!

TriciaMR

Exploring Creation with General Science

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri May 02, 2014 5:50 pm

hsm wrote:I am looking through my box of goodies and I am confused about the Apologia book I ordered. It is my understanding this is what to use for 7th grade, but the CD that came with it says it is to be used with the high school textbook Exploring Creation with General Science which is what I ordered for my 7th grader. Just want to make sure I got her the right book not a high school one.
General Science is the right book. In some parts of the country General or Physical science maybe considered 8th or 9th grade, rather than 7th/8th.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog