Science - MFW lesson plans, schedule, CD in package

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Exploring Creation with General Science

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon May 05, 2014 12:34 pm

I hit the same question in my mind! I found out a couple of weeks ago that one of the older girls in our homeschool group used Apologia General Science for 9th grade and was given high school credit for it. I felt a little freaked out for a bit, but had to remind myself that every student is different and this is one of the blessings of homeschooling.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon May 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Now that I've done General & Physical (well, 3 more modules to go in Physical!) as 7th & 8th, I would do them as 8th and 9th... I managed to get a hold of a local high school's "registration catalog" and basically Physical is 9th, Biology is 10th, Chemistry is 11th, and Physics is 12th. Truly advanced, super smart kids can shift that back a year and do Anatomy 12 grade year, but all our state's colleges accept that path, as long as there are at least 2 that have labs, and all 4 have labs. And, if you don't want to take Physics, they offer Astronomy and "Colorado Wildlife" for 2 half credits that can be taken senior year. My oldest may not have the math prerequisites for Physics, so we're looking at Marine Biology and/or Astronomy options. (So, Biology, then either Marine Biology or Chem, depending on when she finishes Alg 1, then Astronomy. She *might* finish Algebra 2 by the time she graduates, but that's a prerequisite for Physics, so I am trying to come up with an alternative path for her.)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Tue May 06, 2014 6:27 am

This is interesting. Well, my rising 7th grader will have a challenging year I suppose :-) I don't think it will be a problem for her though as she is a sciency kid.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

TriciaMR

Scheduled Days in Apologia Plans?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:41 pm

ForByGrace wrote:I'll have one son doing General Science this coming year, and another son doing Biology. I'm wondering how many days the MFW Lesson Plans schedule for each of these courses? We will be doing four day weeks this year out of necessity and I really need a schedule that will fit the course in our time frame.
Most Apologia texts cover 16 modules (chapters) for whole year. MFW takes 2 weeks to cover each module. That means most years are scheduled for a 32 school week, with option for 34 weeks depending how you approach the quarterly tests. In the sample of the Biology planner, there is a note that it is 33 weeks to allow module 6 to be covered at slower pace. Therefore up to 35 weeks depending on how covers the quarterly tests. Most weeks are scheduled as 4 days a week. However each of the two weeks that cover the modules (chapters) 4, 8, 12, 16 are scheduled as 5 day weeks to allow for quarterly tests to be done at end of the quarter. Other options for scheduling those tests are given.

-Trish
ForByGrace wrote:Thank you....it's looking like it will work out well! ;)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Poohbee

? about Apologia and MFW lesson plans

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:28 pm

blessedwith4 wrote:I am planning on using Apologia Physical Science and I'm not sure if I need the lesson plans from MFW. My dd is going to use their science notebook journal and I believe there is a schedule in there that she will follow. Do I need the lesson plans if we will be using the notebook?
It may depend on how many days each week you want to devote to science. I believe MFW schedules science 4 days a week in the lesson plans. The schedule in the journal is for science 5 days a week. There may be a few days in the schedule you can combine or cross off. There are 2 days scheduled for the end of module study guides, but my dd did them on one day. There is also a day scheduled for the optional summary for each module, and we didn't do those. Using the schedule in the journal, we did science 3-4 days a week and took about an extra half a school year to complete it. I'm okay with that. My daughter won't be going into a science-related field, and she should be able to get the essential science courses she'll need for college in during high school. But it is just something for you to consider.
blessedwith4 wrote:Thank you. That was very helpful. :)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy