Saxon Algebra 1/2 questions

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
Lucy

Saxon Algebra 1/2 questions

Unread post by Lucy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:02 pm

momto6 wrote:I am newly homeschooling my 13yo step daughter who has been in public school previously. I went ahead and got her Saxon algebra 1/2 thinking she would need to go back one level after coming home (she was in Algebra 1 in ps) BIG mistake.
A couple of questions to think about:

1. Are you using the D.I.V.E cd with the program.?

2. If she was in Algebra 1 in p.s. I am sure she is very bored. Do you think it is the program or the level?

3. Have you considered using the Saxon test to see which level she would fit into? It is possible that she could test out of part of the book and start where she needs to begin. By test out I mean she could simply take the test and when she got to the point of new material or not understanding she could begin lessons at that point.

Here is a link to the test: http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/SaxonPlacem ... RC9=&CAP=2

This can also be found on the MFW website by clicking math and then 7th-12th grade.

Maybe it will be a start.

4. My son is a completely different math kid than my daughter and does not need the same kind of repetition so when I can see that he has mastered something I just tell him to not do certain problems. This has helped him with the program although it is still very easy for him at this point. He just started Algebra 1/2.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

cbollin

Saxon 8/7 question...and beyond

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:08 pm

CharleneHoell wrote:My brain hurts and I can't seem to find quickly where I know I read something like...
If you do Saxon 8/7 you get to skip one of the other Saxon math programs? Am I correct in this? Which one? Can someone tell me the recommended order and grades that each are done in? What year does Jacob's Geometry fit in? Was not able to get all my questions answered by looking on the website.

Thanks,
Charlene
8/7 in 7th grade.
Then, for 8th grade, parent has to decide if child is truly ready for Algebra I, or not.
If not ready (and that's ok), then student does Algebra 1/2 in 8th grade
Otherwise you can skip Alg 1/2 and go to Algebra I.

How to determine if your student is ok to skip Alg 1/2. Well, if they are really strong and doing really well and not struggling in 8/7, and consistently getting 80% and higher (without tears and do overs, etc.) and finishes the course in one year.... they are good candidate for skipping Alg 1/2 in my opinion. Then, if they skip 1/2 and go to Alg I in 8th grade, there are a few check points in the mfw lessons to help you know if they are struggling too much if it's right to drop back to 1/2 for a year.

my oldest skipped 1/2 and went into Alg 1 in 8th, and then in 9th (current) is in Jacobs. and I just bought Alg II package tonight ;)

-crystal

Julie in MN

Why Saxon 8/7 instead of Algebra 1/2?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:06 pm

ForByGrace wrote:I'm wondering why MFW suggests going with Saxon 8/7 and skipping Algebra 1/2 altogether? I recently had my oldest ds take a placement test from Saxon, and he placed squarely in Algebra 1/2, so we bought it for next year. He's been previously doing CLE 7, and breezing through it with 98-100% on all quizzes and tests.

Did I miss something? Is Saxon 8/7 a better choice, or Algebra 1/2 in this situation? Could someone please help me understand these choices?

Thanks!
You could call the office for MFW's reasoning. I can just chime in with my guesses :)

I remember Crystal's daughter tried going from Singapore Primary 6, into Saxon Algebra 1/2 (tested into Algebra 1), and it was just a leap of abstractness that she didn't quite need to make in 7th grade. I'm sure there are a few students who are really ready for abstract thinking in 7th grade, but generally it tends to be a skill that really steps in for 8th-12th grades.

Therefore, Saxon 7/8 is a nice follow-up of primary math, with an increased amount of daily work moving towards high school expectations, and some topics that are good to get solid before Algebra, with maybe a little early algebra thrown in (I know there was even a tiny bit in Singapore 6). Then, some students need Algebra 1/2 after that, but most are ready for regular Algebra 1. I know both my mathy boys were really ready to start algebraic thinking for an entire year in 8th grade more than 7th, and they were on the old end of the spectrum.

Does that help?
Julie
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

ForByGrace

Re: Why Saxon 8/7 instead of Algebra 1/2?

Unread post by ForByGrace » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Okay, thanks Julie! That makes sense! I was just hoping I hadn't really goofed up by getting my son the Alg. 1/2 program. But I think based on where he came from in math, and the placement results, that he's most likely placed appropriately!

Thanks for your helpful thoughts! ;)
For 2014-2015:

AHL and EX1850

Julie in MN

Re: Why Saxon 8/7 instead of Algebra 1/2?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Good you figured it out!

I see your student might be heading into 8th grade, and the MFW website says that 8th graders should take the Saxon placement test and start where placed, so you are doing just what they recommend:
  • If your child is in 8th grade or above and hasn't been using Saxon Math, he should take the Saxon Placement Test and begin where placed. (Any 7th or 8th graders who test below 8/7 may call our office for recommendations.)
    http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/60/0/0/1#7th-12th
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs