Credits - What if subjects are done before 9th grade?

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
kellybell

Credits - What if subjects are done before 9th grade?

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:35 am

Hi ladies,
I went to a homeschool high school day-long seminar a few months ago. It was sponsored by our state homeschool group that puts on the convention each year.

While most traditional transcripts list courses for 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades, if a student takes a high school level course before high school, then a different style of transcript would work better. The lady suggested that instead of grouping classes by year ("here's what Suzy did in 9th grade") to group them by subject. This is what we'll do.

My oldest, technically a "young 8th grader" now is taking Apologia Biology... and doing well in it. She is also doing algebra this year. So, on her transcript, I'll list under science "biology" with her grade. Oh, and since she's taking that class from someone besides mom, I'll list her instructor (in the seminar it said that having a few non-parent teachers adds credibility to the transcripts of homeschoolers).

At this seminar, another speaker suggested that we count hours for non-traditional classes and about 120 hours equals a year's course. So, if your dc does 120 hours of music (or sewing or cooking or car repair or physical education) then that's a year's worth. For more traditional courses that involve a traditional textbook, then usually completing the textbook is considered a year's credit. So, I'll give my dd a year's credit for biology if she continues to do well, and I'll give her a year's credit for the algebra too.

God will surely point us in the right direction.

Yes, high school makes me nervous BUT whenever I start to get feeling nervous, I simply look at the high schoolers I know in church and in the neighborhood. While there are some terrific public school students out there, I see a lot of kids that are not behaving like I want my dc's to behave. They dress in a immodest way. I don't like the way they talk. Or the way they spend money. Or the way they spend time. Ugh. I'd rather struggle through high school at home (and with MFW, I don't think it will be a true struggle) instead of sending my dc to that jungle out there while they are still quite young. Yes, good kids come out of the public schools and some bad kids come out of homeschooling. However, I think our chances are best keeping our teens at home.

Plus, if we are called by God to homeschool, then we should, knowing He'll give us what we need, even if it's not easy.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:02 am

I have never really kept grades before, as in assigning a letter grade to each subject for the semester/year. I'm thinking about starting next year to kind of get in the grove for high school when I will have to make a transcript. What about you?

~Charlotte, getting a little nervous about jr. high & high school
Charlotte,
I’m right there with you – especially getting nervous about jr. high and high school.

I think I intend to let the 7th and 8th grade years be the learning curve year on giving value to letter grades in course work. Learning curve year for student and teacher/administrator, kwim? But at the same time, I think it will become easier to do that because the curriculum materials will allow for a more objective means to measure. It’s not mattered until now.

I’m still trying to figure out what I should do about counting Algebra I on the transcript since my Oldest will be starting it sooner than transcript years.
kellybell wrote:While most traditional transcripts list courses for 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades, if a student takes a high school level course before high school, then a different style of transcript would work better. The lady suggested that instead of grouping classes by year ("here's what Suzy did in 9th grade") to group them by subject.
Well that makes sense doesn't it? I mean, that's how it is listed on my state's graduation requirements website. It's by subject and number of credits. duh. Thanks Kelly. I should have just asked you in the first place instead of asking the boys. :o) Honestly, it didn't really matter when I took all of those courses, as long as I took them. so why am I stressing it??

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:27 pm

cbollin wrote:I’m still trying to figure out what I should do about counting Algebra I on the transcript since my Oldest will be starting it sooner than transcript years.
I was worried about a couple of things in this thread that I think make homeschool parents worry unnecessarily.

1. My public schooled son took Algebra 1 & 2 in 8th grade and had no problem getting into every math-oriented college he applied to. Also, his 9th grade math had a lame title like "core 2" and 10th grade was called "independent study"; plus, he never did take geometry.

HOWEVER, he went on to take calculus & did very well on testing so it might be harder for colleges to evaluate his math if his skills weren't so clear. If you expect your daughter to progress quite a ways in math, I wouldn't worry about Algebra 1 on the transcript.

I think it is very common to take Algebra in the younger years. The only reasons to worry about Algebra 1 not being on the 9th-12th transcript that I can think of would be:

a. If your student wants to transfer into a public school & needs to meet their requirements, or

b. If your student does not continue into higher math in high school. This would be a problem both because there would not be enough math on the transcript to look good to colleges, and because the student may have forgotten skills he hadn't used for several years & not do well on the SAT/ACT.

Also just a side note: My son's public high school printed his 9th-12th grade courses on one side of the paper, and 7th-8th grade on the other side, so maybe that would be an option as well.

2. I think it is a misnomer to say that states "require" things on *our* "private school" transcripts. States can "require" you to teach certain subjects to minors (usually up to age 16). And state schools can have requirements if you want one of *their* transcripts. Also colleges can "require" certain prerequisites (or charge you a fee to take no-credit classes).

But *your* transcript shows only that the student meets *your* requirements for graduation. I just don't like to see moms panic that their transcript won't be good enough!
-------------
I hope this makes sense & comes across kindly. I'm a little stressed & probably shouldn't be writing anything, but it's nice to have a diversion :o)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

sewardmom

All in One, Algebra, transcipt

Unread post by sewardmom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:08 pm

Ladies,

One additional note on the Algebra/H.S. subject. I too went to a transcript class recently and the presenter said that
any high school level work the student does prior to high school should be duly noted on the transcript.

Being a first generation home schooler, I so appreciate this board and reading all of your suggestions and experiences.

Thanks for sharing,
<Terri>
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Terri,

Did your presenter give a reason why we should note classes taken before that magical 9th grade year? I'm not challenging you (I hate that about cyberspace, everything can sound a little cynical or griping, etc.). I was just wondering, since I was planning on NOT putting a little star and saying, "this was done in 8th grade." I don't mind putting the little star, but why bother if you don't need to. If my dd completes high school level work, I want to give her credit even though she is completing the course a year early.

Let's keep the dialog going.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

sewardmom

High school work in junior high years

Unread post by sewardmom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi Kelly,

The Inge Cannon Transcript Boot Camp (EdPlus) was the class I attended.
As I have pulled the seminar notebook from the shelf (I need to work on being more high school focused than I have been...) here goes...

It says if the student was ready to begin studying subjects normally reserved for the high school years prior to 9th grade (here it specifically mentions a junior high student who takes algebra or geometry or ready to work with high school texts in U.S. or world history...) they recommend using a 'content format' instead of the regular chronolgy format.

Sounds similar to what you posted earlier about using an alternative format when your student begins certain subjects prior to high school years.

You wrote :
"If my dd completes high school level work, I want to give her credit even though she is completing the course a year early. "

That is why I posted the info. that was mentioned in my class. If my children are doing advanced work, I too surely want to make sure they get credit!

I hope to buy the software they recommended in the future (Inge Cannon Transcript Pro). I am hoping it will help me to be less stressed and dc to be better prepared for college...

I don't feel the least bit challenged - thanks for the clarification though...

HTH,
Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....