Science - Apologia General in 7th vs. 8th

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
Julie in MN

Science - Apologia General in 7th vs. 8th

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:14 pm

hsmom3 wrote:I will have a 7th grader next year and I see that MFW recommends Exploring Creation w/General Science. I have two other children that will be in 5th & 6th grades. We will be doing Exploration to 1850 next year. I definitely want to make sure I do the right thing. I love doing most of our subjects together but I also know it is important for my children to learn independent work as well. I also don't want my 7th grader to get behind in science.

Has anyone used this science book? Could I wait until 8th grade for him to start? I'm just curious what others have done. Also is it a "heavy" science book or is it written in the style of the elementary science books? Thanks so much for your help!
Susan
Hi Susan,
This science is definitely different than the Apologia elementary series. Different author, different style, and much different amount of material covered!

I've seen families make all kinds of choices with this book --

- start in 6th, 7th, or 8th
- use it over 1 year or over 2 years
- skip the first book, skip the second book, or do both books

I'm not sure what year of MFW you will be doing, but most of the MFW years offer suggestions for *either* beefing up their science with library books *or* adding Apologia.

When you make your decision, keep in mind the several purposes of adding Apologia at this time include not only teaching science, but teaching independence and another step up in work. You don't want to do elementary work until 8th grade and then put your child into shock when high school work comes along LOL! Perhaps you will be stepping your 7th grader's workload in other areas or according to another plan, but just want to be sure you're thinking thru some kind of plan for that.

Hopefully someone currently using this will give you more specifics!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:37 pm

The following year your children would be in 6th, 7th and 8th if you didn't start the 7th grader in Apologia General Science. Correct? This is my personal opinion: I would wait and put all three in it next year. Many of the big curriculum publishers all do Physical Science in 9th and Biology in 10th. Your oldest would still be on schedule for that, but you would only be teaching one science at a time, AND the science experiments will be more fun and memorable as a group. I have always combined my oldest two this way (22 months apart). I also have two younger sets coming up that I will combine in the same way.
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:06 pm

Susan,

You have had some good thoughts so far.

I have 2 kids one who has finished both Gen. and Physical and one who is finishing up Gen.

There are reasons to start this and keep it independent. Julie has already mentioned preparation for high school. Also if you think that your student will excel in science and go further in high school than the basic requirements I would consider going a head and starting him now.

The first month or so will be a time of helping him learn to study from a textbook and get the hang of taking test. I do not have my kids take the first test because it is so much general info. about many scientist that is is a bit overwhelming for a kid. So I use the first chapter to teach the skills of using the book and we do the study guide. I think it is fine to give the test if you like, but that is just what we did. After that they are expected to take the test and if they score a C or lower they have to restudy and retake the test.( I made one exception for one of my kids in a chapter on physics in the Physical science book. After studying hard for 3 weeks she made a high C and I felt that was truly her best.)

I know that few 6th graders have done this because it is tough and eventually you would probably have to skip a year in the series for him since at some point you need a certain level of math to do certain subjects. You can look on the Apologia web site for more info on that. You also do not want to hold your 7th grade son back from moving on if he is ready next year.

As a general rule it is suggested to begin Apologia Gen. Science in 7th grade. Reasons for not starting may be maturity or reading ability. There is little math needed in this first book. My son who is still quite active needed the challenge although at first he may appear not to be mature enough. I knew he could read and learn to study and it is giving us 2 years before high school to work on this skill.

These are some thoughts that I hope will be helpful as you are trying to decide.

I think looking at the books at convention and speaking with a sales associate will be helpful also.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

kellybell

Science - Using 1850Mod for 7th, not JR high science?

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:04 pm

Melissa5 wrote:I'm considering just using the science in 1850mod for my 7th grader instead of Gen. science. Then skipping gen. science and using physical science (??) in 8th grade. Also (I hope this doesn't get too confusing), I would then let my 7th grader do physical science with my 8th grader. Then the following year have him go back and do gen. science with my youngest son. This would keep me from teaching FIVE different science lessons to all my dc. What do you think?
I think you can do that just fine... In a perfect world (with one child per family and no outside co-ops, commitments, etc.) we could just work through MFW and all their recommendations just as written.

I'm really glad the world isn't perfect and that we've got gaggles of kids and classes and moves and babies...

This year, I'm doing something similar. A co-op was offering Apologia General Science and I put my 6th grader in it (she's doing fine) and also Apologia Biology and I put my 8th grader in it (doing fine too) although she hadn't yet had physical science.

It's better to do things in order, but it's okay to deviate just a bit. I wouldn't skip more than one year. And, I'd go back ASAP to cover all the bases.

Pay attention to what the prerequisites are (I think Chemistry requires that Algebra I is complete).

And, I think it would be better to combine kids at the lower child's level instead of the older child's level, making things easier for the older child instead of harder for the younger child.

Apologia has a lot of reading for their middle- and high-school science books. If your children are bright enough to understand the books but are bogged down by reading, you might want to purchase the "book on CD" version for them to listen to in the car or to follow along with as they
read.

Also, you might want to consider the multimedia DVD which has animations, pronunciations, etc. [Included in the MFW package.]

And remember, if you start a year with them together and see that things are just too hard for one of them, you can always shelve it for a year and then try it again later.
Go for it...
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:18 pm

well.... I don't think the science in 1850-MOD will be enough for a 7th grader unless you do a *lot* of work to beef it up. The book used in 1850-MOD, the World of Science, has lots of rich information, but it is going to take some work to do enough for a 7th grader. That's the trade off and another factor to consider. Or at least that's my opinion as I am in week 34 of the 1850-MOD with a 6th and 3rd grader.

MFW has lesson plans to make the Apologia jr. high and high school programs to be done more independently so that you aren't teaching it as much. Kelly mentioned the audio CD of the text.

And agreeing with kelly... don't mix up the order too much too many times in the science sequence because sometimes you need to have certain math requirements (not the case with General Science, but, just later on down the road).

-crystal

RJ's Momma

Do I really need to start General Science in 7th?

Unread post by RJ's Momma » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:20 pm

Winni wrote:I see that there are only 4 Apologia sciences recommended for the high school level. If we use 1 book per year, then she will "run out" by 10th grade, right? So, should I really start General Science with her in 7th grade? Or should she just do the RTR science (which, by the way, even includes Apologia's Exploring Creation with Biology). Do I really need 2 science programs for my family next year?
I'm not nearly where you are yet, so maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

From what I understand the two science class recommended for 7th and 8th grade are actually written at the Jr. High level.

The other two are for HS. There are several more science books written by Apologia that are also at the HS level that you may use after you have finished with these if you choose to.

Shannon
Wife to dh 12 years, Momma to 'RJ' 10 years old
CtG - July 2009 (5th grade) ECC-4th grade Adventures-3rd grade
Used ABeka for 1st and 2nd grade MFW-K
http://www.aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com

cbollin

Re: Do I really need to start General Science in 7th?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:38 pm

Winni wrote:So, should I really start General Science with her in 7th grade? Or should she just do the RTR science (which, by the way, even includes Apologia's Exploring Creation with Biology). Do I really need 2 science programs for my family next year?
The Apologia Science Exploring Creation with Astronomy is included in RTR. It is an elementary book. Exploring Creation with Botany is part of EX1850. It too is an elementary level book.

Basically what Shannon said is the sequence.

I don't know if MFW will carry the Apologia High school physics or any of the other "advanced" 12th grade science courses.

Yes -- you most likely should do General Science in 7th grade .They can join in the fun of hands on projects with the rest of the family (like making a paper skeleton of the system, or enjoying a starry night in Astronomy). But that should be extra and fun. Some of those activities in the Body Book might be helpful to do early and then have as review when it comes in the General Science book (there are chapters on human body systems in the 7th grade book is what I'm trying to say).

But yeah... but Apologia Science (the publisher) and MFW are both recommending to do that General book in 7th grade, so I'll just following along on that advice.
-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:37 pm

Just to repeat the others, Apologia has three levels of books -

(1) Elementary books like the two MFW uses, Astronomy and Botany.
(2) Junior high books, which are both suggested by MFW (General and Physical).
(3) High school books, which include two that MFW suggests (Biology and Chemistry) and a couple more advanced ones that Crystal mentioned.

However, all of the MFW teacher manuals I have suggest Apologia *or* added library books for 7th grade.

If you choose the idea of adding Apologia, that will meet several goals in 7th grade, including more advanced reading and a step up in independence. So if you decide not to use it, then I'd think thru how you could meet these goals in other ways...

Julie

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:21 am

The Apologia General Science and Physical Science books are very "doable" in that the activities don't involve any complex equipments or techniques. They do involve a lot of reading (but you can get the "book on CD" to go along with the text for a weaker reader).

I have found that my dd's can handle the reading, labs, vocabulary, and tests pretty much on their own.

There are lots of options for middle school science. I agree that kids that age need more than the elementary science (but must also admit that I learned A LOT from the Apologia Elementary texts!). The Apologia Exploring Science series is a great way to get that extra needed science, but it's not the only way.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

GoodCat

Unread post by GoodCat » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:37 am

I will have a 7th grader next year and we will be doing RtR. But I've decided to wait to do Apologia General Science until she's in 8th grade. We are waiting for a few reasons.
1. She wants (and we want) to do the science that comes with RtR, together. We will add a few more books, ect., for her.
2. She has a brother just a year behind her and if we wait I can do the General Science with both of them together.
3. Also, I just felt she needed another year with just us before being on her own.

Thats just how we're doing it.
Cathy
Wife to Sean, a wonderful man for 13 yrs., mother to 6 beautiful children- 12dd, 11ds, 9ds, 7dd, 5dd, 2dd.
Used Abeka for 5 years.
Used ECC and MFW1 (and loved it)
Used CtG (and loved it : )
Using RtR (and loving it!!)

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:34 pm

Dear Winnie,

It is so good to see you on the board! It has been a while and we have missed seeing you.

MFW strongly recommends that you begin a 7th grader in Apologia or some other jr. high level science at this time. There are a few exceptions. In general most 7th graders are ready to learn at this level. Each child of course must be looked at individually. If you have more questions concerning whether your child is ready please give the office a call and we will be glad to help talk it through with you.

I am going to share a bit of our experience with using this. First of all it will seem like at first that you are "teaching" 2 sciences because when first beginning with Gen. Science most students need a some help learning how to read, take notes, and study for a test from a text book. After about 2 to 3 modules most kids are able to follow the guide provided by MFW and complete the assignments independently. I mostly found myself teaching them how to study as the read and to write down vocab. as they went. One child does this and the other does not. We all have to learn what works for us too. So after a month or so you will only monitor the progress of your 7th grader while teaching only one science. Even during the training period the Apologia book should be doing the teaching and you guiding them in learning how study.

I did start my daughter in 7th grade although I was unsure if she was ready for all the reading. Here is why. She needed to begin learning the independent skills of learning on her own. I give the above advice because I did not help her enough at first (for fear of helping too much? go figure) and this did put her behind. I blame myself for this though, not her. I also did eventually get her the audio CD (not sold by MFW) and this did help her. This is suggested over reading the text to the student. Although, after 2 modules she had the confidence to read on her own and she never used it for Physical Science. My son started this year (7th grade) and he has done well, although I have had to teach him to study and that grades do matter for college entrance (this was a big surprise for him but has changed his attitude). He does not know that they do not really count now, but that is part of the training for high school.

A big reason for starting them in 7th is that if they have an aptitude in science (and sometimes we do not even know that yet), this gives them the time they need to not only complete required science for graduation and college entrance but it gives them the potential of taking more science classes before graduation as well as giving them an increased opportunity for (1) taking an advanced Biology, Chemistry or Physics in 12th grade or (2) taking dual enrollment classes at a college or (3) scholarships. You do not know any of this until later unfortunately so it is good to give our kids every chance and then if they fall behind a year it still gives them enough time to complete the science they need. We may find that our kids do not like Biology but really love Chemistry or Physics, setting them up to take more of one of these subjects to better prepare for their future.

MFW will eventually carry Physics when the guide for it is written.

I hope this has helped you as you see the big picture and look ahead to the future.
Lucy

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:44 pm

Lucy Robertson wrote:A big reason for starting them in 7th is that if they have an aptitude in science (and sometimes we do not even know that yet), this gives them the time they need to not only complete required science for graduation and college entrance but it gives them the potential of taking more science classes before graduation as well as giving them an increased opportunity for (1) taking an advanced Biology, Chemistry or Physics in 12th grade or (2) taking dual enrollment classes at a college or (3) scholarships.

Lucy
tagging on the conversation a bit....

I noticed on Apologia's website that they still recommend starting with General Science in 7th grade even if they are not science-oriented. It gives 2 possible ways to consider for grades 9-12 for those non science oriented, but the starting place is still General in 7th.

cool. lots of good options.

And they recommend that you at least have them try Biology and Chemistry and Physics -- you just never know what interest could be sparked.

neat to think about all of that.

thanks for the heads up that MFW will carry the physics some day. in my prayers.

-crystal

Lucy

Well, then I have a question

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:55 am

Susan on the Space Coast wrote:My dd has not finished her Gen. Science course as a 7th grader. It took me longer to realize that she wasn't working on it as she should; I also didn't make sure she was getting how to study for the tests. Should I have her finish it during the summer? It was both our faults. (I think she has 6 more modules!)

I also have been told that in the Physical Science book there are quarterly tests, too. I know I can't just stop Gen. and start Phys. next year. She is not a science-oriented kid (you'll see her name in lights some day--so dramatic!) but she's not enjoying this independence like she thought she would--namely taking the tests. I even tried getting the notebooking-type activities, but that was just a mess! She's very visual, so I thot that might pique her interest. She might like the audio CDs, though. She has been good this year with listening to me and writing from an outline in history.

Any suggestions?
Hi Susan,

We had this same issue with my daughter so I was really glad we had started early. What we did since she was so far behind is have her complete the rest of the modules in the following school year and then do as much of Physical Science as she could in that year. So in her 9th grade year she completed Physical and then started Health (which is only a semester course). In my state I can count sciences in 8th grade so I will count a full credit for Physical this year although she will need Biology and Chemistry as well for college entrance and we will probably give Physics a try in her senior year.

So do not worry too much about it and just procede. You may have her try to do a module or 2 in the summer and do the same with Physical so that she may be able to catch up by her 9th grade year.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Sue in MN

Unread post by Sue in MN » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:03 pm

I have a new suggestion for you. RTR teaches the Human Body and Astronomy. Apologia's General Science teaches General Science and the Human Body.

What we did when we had a Jr. High and a grade school in this study was teach the Human Body parts of both studies together. It does mess your schedule up a little but it made more sense than doing two separate science classes.

dhudson

Is the science in 1850 Mod. enough for an 8th grader?

Unread post by dhudson » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:15 pm

Sue G in PA wrote:Looking at the program for dd12. If I purchase it, my financial resources would be depleted and I could not afford Apologia General. She is not a sciency kid and likely will not pursue a science career. Would the science in 1850-Moderns be enough for her? I do have CKE Earth and Space to supplement and b/c she does like Rocks/Minerals and astronomy. Any advice? Thanks!
It could be if you really worked on supplementing with Library books. We are doing 1850 to MOD right now and my 7th grader listens in and enjoys it but then he also does Apologia. He is very science oriented so that plays a part in that. I think I would look at what she needs for high school and then college if that's in the plan and then make a decision.

You could also beef it up by having her read about the scientists that are highlighted in the "World of Science" The topics in "World of Science" are hefty enough but I wouldn't think they go into enough depth for an 8th grader so I would plan ahead and add lots of books on those topics to the library list.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie in MN

Re: Is the science in 1850 Mod. enough for an 8th grader?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Dawn has some good ideas that I'd agree with. It's possible. Anything's possible -- homeschoolers of the past were making do with much less than we have today & turning out well educated kids. But the trade-off is... more work for both of you to figure it out on your own...

We're doing 1850MOD but we haven't done any of the science so I'm not able to speak knowledgeably (we're doing jr. hi science). However, I do see the topics & have used the info book in book basket & even opened it during a topic or two in junior hi science. So I know the topics are very compatible with junior hi science topics, in both general science and physical science.

My first decision would be whether I was just going to delay the "7th/8th" grade science and do those same two years in 8th/9th. I know some folks at our local coops do that, so it's acceptable to do that.

However, if you want to use 1850MOD science "instead" of 7th/8th science, then I'd try to meet the goals of those years when deciding what to add. Big goals for me were:

1. Learning some study skills, independence, science vocabulary, and basically stepping things up a bit.
2. Preparing for high school science with a solid foundation in what they'll be talking about, from familiarity with the periodic table to taxonomy to Newton's laws -- before they have to plug in the mathematical formulas.
3. Stepping up the labs.

So you could add things like science vocab and some kind of quizzing or report writing. You could increase the topics already in EX1850 so they are down solid -- I've always thought of having my son build a periodic table poster, using half-index cards & studying each element as he added it to the poster, or building some taxonomy charts would work, too (like giant genealogy charts). For labs, he could get some good kits for Christmas, or you could check out what other local homeschoolers or science museums in your area are doing.

Okay, now you've seen into my spinning brain and you know why my children are afraid when I try to do something myself :)
Julie
Last edited by Julie in MN on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MFW-Lucy

Re: Is the science in 1850 Mod. enough for an 8th grader?

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:39 am

Dear Sue,

Thank you for your interest in My Father's World.

MFW would recommend a Jr. High science program for 8th grade. This is basic science that all students should have even if they are not going to major in science. As Dawn mentioned it will help to be familiar with the requirements for high school graduation in your state and for several colleges. Most will require at least 2 sciences with labs.

We recommend General Science which is for 7th or 8th graders ( Apologia or another company) if she has not had this yet. According to Apologia this program will not count as a high school credit, but Physical Science will. So you want to prepare her for high school level work starting this year.

As Dawn and Julie have mentioned the science planned in 1850-Modern is not enough by itself for an 8th grader. You will need to add more reading on each topic with library books. If you decide to go this route you may consider moving directly into Physical Science in 9th grade.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us by e-mail at info@mfwbooks or at our office at 573-426-4600.

Lucy

Julie in MN

Do You Do The Extra Science

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Homeschooling6 wrote:I am getting ready to start purchasing Exp to 1850 for my son's 7th grade year. Joshua reads at grade level and his writing really needs to improve. We are working on spelling, writing and grammar this year. Also, I am going to make a schedule where he will be doing most of this on his own. I'll be checking in and discussing things with him but he will do a lot of the reading (I'll read some books in the program that others mentioned I should and the read aloud)

Do you all think I should add in the Apologia Science as recommended by MFW or should I just use what's in the main program? Do you all usually add the Apologia science programs in for 7th & 8th? Appreciate any help.

Thought I would add that I'm not at all for throwing the curriculum at the child and have him figure it all out. I also have five other dc and it's a challenge for me. Last year and this year we have been using textbooks for history & science from Christian Light Education and it's really worked out great but I would like to come back to MFW for 7th-12th grade. I just need my dc to be some-what independent. I know most encourage combining but again it just didn't work. Anyway that's a little bit of history on us ;)
Hi Linda,
My son did EX1850 in 6th-7th (we're on a weird schedule). Once he hit 7th, he transitioned to 7th grade science & no longer did the EX1850 science.

It kinda takes the whole 2 years of 7th & 8th to run through all the science topics once at the jr hi level, before studying them again in more depth in high school. HIgh school/college science is so much about formulas and taxonomy, and I think it really helps to have a solid jr hi run-thru to familiarize kids with the topics in an orderly fashion beforehand. Some kids wait and do jr hi science in 8th and 9th, but starting right away in 7th gives you a little wiggle room if things take longer than expected (although they don't for most kids) and allows for students to pursue more advanced science in high school.

Glad you shared about considering doing things with your child, because otherwise I would have encouraged that. I love sharing with my son. However, not all circumstances allow for that. I know a mom in my area who has one older and lots of younger kids, and her older dd reads MFW books on her own. Kids know and accept the family situation they are in. It will work out.

As for combining the youngers & olders, I'm all for doing that as much as possible. Your older student really only has 2 more years where you can learn as a family, and I think it's good for kids. But again it's not the only way.

Julie

SandKsmama

Re: Do You Do The Extra Science

Unread post by SandKsmama » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:37 pm

Homeschooling6 wrote:So when we start his 7th grade year it's okay if I drop the science in exp1850 and only do Apologia?
Yes - as I understand it, the kid who does Apologia does not do the regular MFW science at all (unless they just want to join in on the experiments for fun, which happens in my house sometimes!) My 8th grader is actually doing General Science this year, and she does not do any MFW science with her younger siblings. She does her science on her own, for the most part - it's set up to be pretty independent, I think.
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Agreeing with both of you :) My son did the Animal study in EX1850 because he was still in 6th grade, but he didn't do the Botany study at all because he was in 7th grade at that point. The only exception is ECC, where the science is considered part of the "geography" for the older kids.

If you're working on his reading, then I am wondering if you might consider adding the General Science audiobook that Apologia sells. Just a thought. We also use the Story of the World audiobook at our house, and sometimes even literature audiobooks. It's an extra expense, because you still need to buy the physical books in all of these cases as well, but there is a resale value and in some cases there are libraries or homeschool groups who lend them out.

Julie

Homeschooling6

Unread post by Homeschooling6 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:35 pm

I love the idea of purchasing Apologia Sci. & Story of the World on cd (I actually have SOTW cd but it's the first ed). My dc love audio books so I'll purchase some of the others. Any recommendations? Maybe I can start there and listen to them myself instead of reading everything.
Linda Mom to
Joshua 5/98, Annette 9/99, Caleb 9/00, Brent 10/01, Ethan 1/03, Lance 8/04
Currently using texbooks.

Our Blog http://training6hearts4him.blogspot.com

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:10 pm

A 7th grader really needs a Jr. High level science. I have one student doing general science who is a great reader and one who is a little below grade levels so I got the text and the audio CD. He listens to it on CD and follows along in the book. He is doing fine when he studies.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:45 pm

Homeschooling6 wrote:I am for sure going to get the audio cd for Apologia. They only sell the mp3 cd though. Does anyone one have a recommendations for an inexpensive mp3 player?
We listen to MP3 on our computer.

My son says that little "ipod" type MP3 players can have the CDs downloaded to your computer and then to your little player. I have heard those can be found at Walmart type places for around $15.

Still voting for learning as a family for the last 2 years before high school -- in "worldview heavy" courses such as Bible and history at least :) -- but science can be very independent.
Julie

Julie in MN

General Science qtn.

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:50 pm

TNLisa wrote:General Science question about waiting until 8th grade.
Oh, I found this info in the archives. Very helpful.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5146
Lisa,
Glad you found something that helps!

I personally think the 1850-MOD science looks a little "easier" than the EX1850, just in case that matters. We didn't use it, tho, since my son was in 7-8th. Also, if you wait too long for General Science, then you won't have a lot of wiggle room if you need to take a little longer on one of the sciences...

Other than those 2 cautions, I think Gen. Sci. is used in 8th grade in some of the co-ops around here.
Julie

Carina

Re: General Science qtn.

Unread post by Carina » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:41 am

Lisa,

I don't know if this applies to your daughter or not, but most four year universities no longer accept physical science for high school credit; they now want "integrated chemistry and physics" in 9th grade (which is why Apologia recommends it for 8th grade), so you may want to check on this for the universities in your area as you are planning your HS curriculum/credits . Of course, if she is not planning on attending university right after high school or she is going to a school with other requirements, physcial science should be fine for 9th grade. :)
Carina
Wife to David
Mom to Brigit (12th grade), Ian (10th grade), Grant (8th grade) and Colette (2nd grade)

2010-2011: CTG
2011-2012: RTR

2012-2013: AHL & EX1850
2013-2014: WHL & 1850-MOD
2014-2015: AHL & US1
2015-2016: WHL & US2