Science - Apologia General in 7th vs. 8th

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
mom2boys

Re: General Science qtn.

Unread post by mom2boys » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:01 am

I am considering waiting until 8th grade for General Science with my second son also. I live in St. Louis area and checked online with 2 state universities and 2 top rated private universities and none of them said Physical Science couldn't count for high school science - they did exclude General Science and wanted a minimum of one lab science. Maybe it depends on what area of the country that you live in. I just wanted share my brief research, since I certainly don't want to limit my son's prospects when he gets there but don't want to push him beyond what I think he is ready for now if it is not necessary.

Isn't this high school stuff fun! My first son is the guinea pig, but I don't think I'll necessarily have it all figured out for the second one since he is totally different!
~Charlotte
loving my Hubby and 3 sons 16, 13, 7
Used MFW since 2004

TNLisa

Re: General Science qtn.

Unread post by TNLisa » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks everyone! After some research, I am considering doing General Science over 7th and 8th grade. We are moving to Maine, and they only require 3 years of Science with "environmental science" as a choice - which I will confirm whether or not physical science is a match.

Postby TNLisa » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:51 am
I just read my last reply and it hit me -
my "wondering" about General Science is based on whether or not I think my daughter can handle it. She may very well be able to step up - as I look back in using MFW the last few years, everything builds and becomes a gradual transition. Each time I doubt, it always come back full circle with affirmation to stay the course MFW has laid out. She has always been right where she needs to be.
Just thinking out loud on this rainy Monday morning.
Lisa
Homeschooling since 2005!

Wendy B.

ECC Science for 8th grader...enough??

Unread post by Wendy B. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:19 pm

samiam wrote:We will be doing ECC in the fall, with an 8th, 3rd and K. I know that MFW advises to do Apologia for the 7th/8th graders. BUT we are going to do a co-op and one of the classes my DS13 will take is Ecology, which will study biomes, habitats, etc. This class is going to mesh perfectly with the ECC science. Wondering if between the two, this could just be enough science for 8th grade. We would also add to it, with videos, perhaps extra reading, extra writing, etc.

Do you think that ECC science, along with a Ecology class and extra-add ons could be enough for 8th grade science? Would it hamper his ability to go into the upper Apologia books if he does not do the Physical Science by Apologia in 8th grade?
There sure are a lot of unknowns with the co-op class.

No, I don't believe that the science in ECC is appropriate for 8th graders. An 8th grader doing ECC would benefit from reading the science as scheduled to enhance the overall program but that would only take him moments per day. No where near 8th grade level for a full or partial science credit.

Since you have already stated that you plan on using Apologia for highschool.....my recommendations would be to do Apologia Physical and the science reading for ECC OR Apologia Physical and the Ecology Co-op class.

It's been a while since I taught Apologia Biology but I believe that there is a module on Ecology as part of the course.

If you are planning on doing Apologia at home for highschool then doing Physical at home for 8th grade would be very beneficial. Having your son get in the habit of doing labs, working independently, etc with a course that is not for a credit on the highschool transcript will help the both of you work out any "kinks" with doing this level of science at home. My kids had a very extensive science background but I'm glad that we didn't skip Physical in our science sequence even though some of the material was review. We were able to find a workable schedule for us and get familiar with the Apologia format before worrying about highschool credits.

However, if your plan is to do Apologia in a co-op setting and this Ecology course is the recommended course before the co-op's Highschool sequence then disregard everything I've just said! Personally, I would want to make sure that the time requirement and lab experiences were similar to a highschool level course before considering it as a full 8th grade level course.

HTH
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

far above rubies

Re: ECC Science for 8th grader...enough??

Unread post by far above rubies » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:48 pm

I agree with the others about the co-op class. We were in a co-op for several years and even had a Biology teacher teach the high school students Biology, but they only met every other week, for about an hour and then had an extra lab on other days. It was definitely NOT something appropriate for actual credit, but more of a tutoring type thing.

I have a degree in English and taught composition classes, as well as creative writing. I required homework assignments and expected them to work, and many had improved handwriting each meeting, but it was more of a tutoring type thing--to help brush up on skills. I know some of the parents did see it as an actual class and there were several jr. high aged students who really needed to go back to 2nd grade and learn basic writing.

I would add on whatever MFW recommends and I also ditto the others in that looking ahead at high school goals is the way to go. Wow! Makes me realize just how fast this all goes by and how I need to just slow down and enjoy these elementary years. :)
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

Julie in MN

Re: ECC Science for 8th grader...enough??

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:58 pm

Well, you've gotten lots of advice about stepping up science in 8th grade with Apologia. The reasons behind it have to do with prep for high school as much as actual science education.

I'm just going to chat about the other possibilities.

First of all, according to AIG, the God's Design series can be used for up to 8th grade. So it does seem somehow possible to use it for an 8th grader's science. However, there are two problems with this:
(1) AIG uses three of their science books per year for 8th, not just one. Ecosystems is part of a three-book set. Maybe the co-op can make up for the other 2/3 of the course, but it doesn't sound like you know yet. Maybe a call to the potential teacher would help? Sounds like she'd know what she's talking about as far as 8th grade science requirements?
(2) The other problem is that 8th graders in ECC use the AIG Ecosystems book as part of their *geography* and not part of their science. It's a little different than the other years. The geography in ECC needs a little more depth for 8th grade, so the Ecosystems book is part of doing that. So if you move Ecosystems over to the science category, you might also find you need a little more geography for the 8th grader? Parts of the Ecosystems book, such as the experiments, are not scheduled for the 8th graders, so it wouldn't be a 100% need.

The second thing I thought you should consider is that stepping up science is one way to prep for high school expectations. Apologia is a good transition that way. If you decide not to step up science, then I would purposefully look for another area to assign something more independent, and something that has an expectation that your child will retain information from what he reads. Science is a convenient way to accomplish some of these goals, but it isn't the only way.

Hope those help you think thru what's best for your homeschool,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

7th grade science

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:32 pm

sojen wrote:Does anyone wait to use Apologia General Science until 8th grade? If so, is the science in Exploration to 1850 meaty enough for a 7th grader? Honestly, I'm a little nervous about starting General Science. And, I'm nervous about figuring out high school credits in middle school if in 8th grade she takes Physical Science. Isn't it better to have her take high school courses in 9th -12th for transcript purposes?
Jen, I suppose it depends on your state and/or school district and what college your kid may attend. Here, General Science and Physical Science are considered 7th & 8th grade courses. Depending on what college they want to get into, Biology, Chem and Physics are considered High School, and they like seeing one "advanced" science (like Biology II or Chem II) on that transcript, especially for the science/tech majors.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

sojen

Re: 7th grade science

Unread post by sojen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Physical Science OR Physics counts as high school. Here you need 4 science credits. My daughter doesn't gravitate toward science (haha) so I would rather not have to do 2 upper level sciences in high school. The public school schedule is 9th grade Biology, 10th grade- Physical Science, 11th grade- Chemistry and 12th advanced level science of choice.

I'm actually not too worried about high school, but I am worried that Gen Science will be too difficult next year and Botany/ Animal in Exp. to 1850 will be too easy. Hmm, what to do, what to do....
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:19 am

Personally... I"d lean toward doing General in 7th.. Physical in 8th as JR HIGH and not call it high school credit yet.
Then, you can have Biology in 9th, Chem in 10th, 11th can be the "advanced biology -aka anatomy and physiology, and then 12th for physics. or several other paths.

I'd think in most cases the EX1850 alone would not be enough for average jr. highers. hmm....

apologia general doesn't have to be scary.... are you interested in tips for the upcoming 7th grader starting Apologia General? You never know... she could like science, or end up doing Advanced Biology or Marine Biology.
sojen wrote:Sure.

I guess I just don't understand how my daughter grew up! I was never nervous about homeschooling in high school, but now that I actually have to start thinking and deciding what is going to go on her transcript, I'm freaking out a little. Also, I have always been a relaxed homeschool mom and I have never unnecessarily pushed my kids to start things too early. I guess there's a mental shift that has to take place.
Here are some tips for that 7th grade year in Apologia General. It may sound like a lot and look like a lot. It's a few small tips on several things.

Tips on
The Learning Curve.
How to Take Notes.
Lab Ideas.
Study time for tests.
and oh no, the test was really bad, now what?!

Learning Curve
Background, my oldest jumped in with me being clueless. My middle learned from those experiences. as I write these tips today... my middle daughter will be in study mode for the Final Quarterly Test in General. wow. how can this be?

If possible, try to start the 7th grader about one week ahead in math and science from all other subjects. If that causes too much tension (mom.. not fair! They get another week off of school!), then find something “school” with the youngers in maybe math facts review and have them listen in on science, but wait a week before starting up your MFW base program. The idea is to help your jr. high student ease into the subjects that will become more independently done over the school year. And you can give a hand during that learning curve. Then, they can start to work more on "I'm a big kid now".

Some children will need the text on audio. Not all. Oldest didn't. Middle did. MFW does not carry that product, but other places, such as rainbow resources does.

Taking Notes
Module 1 in General a lot of history of science. The test will be a matching test on a lot of those science people and one major fact about their accomplishments. During module 1, help you child learn how to take notes. Hints are given in the text, and solutions manual. Help your child with that skill. This shouldn't be too hard for MFW students coming up through MFW. We've done narration all along, and now it's time to write some of this stuff down to help remember it, and yes, there'll be a quiz at the end. (remember that from when we were group schooled students? lol)

For note taking in module 1, I recommend the Donna Young notebooking pages. Free. Print it. Here
http://donnayoung.org/apologia/general-worksheets.htm

Have them fill those in as they are reading the text.
Then after that, they can learn to take notes in a spiral notebook, or sewn composition book. The idea is to help lock in the information and definitions and some concepts.

Writing lab reports. Although this has been part of MFW in elementary science, it wasn't a big focus. In ADV, we're given outlines for that, but then somehow well.. I'm pretty confident I'm not the only person who slacked off. Anyway. Donna Young site has some easy lab reports to fill in. The Apologia General textbook comes with a password to a part of the apologia website with more information.

So, the 7th grader has to learn how to read or listen to the text, take some notes. Remember major points. Do some labs. Yes, it is ok to let them do the labs all by themselves. But if you opt to be a lab partner, it's ok. Make sure you're the one who does a little less.

Study Time for Test
At the end of each section of reading, there are “self quizzes” called On Your Own. Do not skip those. If you have to find 1 to 2 minutes each day to do them out loud with your student, it's ok. The student will read the answers during the self check. That's good. But some children need to say it out loud to someone in order to remember it. It's ok to listen. Those do not have to be written.

There is a study guide at the end of each module. Again, you can offer to be a study partner with your child to fit their learning style. Do they need you to sit there and read the question and check their answer? Answers are in the solutions manuals. Do they need you to help them learn how to go back through the text, look for bolded information to help recall details? Take the time to see this 7th grade year to be not just about learning science information but also an opportunity to grow their learning skills that match their style.

Also, some children might need to make flash cards or quizzes. Right now (and I don't know how long it will be online) is a great co-op online that did that. Here
http://wikis.engrade.com/nctgs/nctgs1

You don't have to go all fancy online with quizlet and engrade and all of that. It can be old school with index card that you make. But now you have a way to help your jr. high student quiz himself and learn that skill.

The Test.
Eeek! There's a lot on internet chat forums about that first test!. OH, I'm going to freak! Well, here are some tips. Study for it using the study guide and/or the module summaries in the Appendix B of second edition. Remember those Donna Young worksheets from earlier? Make a study game from them. Try to help your child put the people in a timeline from previously studied MFW programs. (oh yeah... this guy was around when this event happened. I remember now. Or oh yeah.. I remember in CTG we tried to grow mold on processed white bread to be like Egypt, and they talked about that guy in here.)

The test for Module 1 can feel like a doozy with all of the multiple choice of the scientists. Options as teacher for tests. Remember, you can drop the lowest grade on a test if needed. You can have open notes and slowly wean from that. You can give the test again and change around the scientists. I've heard that if one emails apologia they'll send a make up or alternate test. I've never done that. Another option that worked for my middle daughter? For definitions and vocabulary... If I rewrote that part of the test as "here's the definition, what's the word" that helped. Sometimes, I did those as fill in the blank... So, yes, I took 5-10 minutes to rewrite part of the test if needed. I can remember in jr. high not having to write everything down the way Apologia does. Apologia is designed for the "college smart kid" track in mind. I saw the 7th grade year with middle to be a transition time for that. kwim?

Overall, think of the whole year as a time to grow. Your end of the year 6th grade going into 7th grade does not have to jump into the program fully independent. They will grow. Even my very average middle child has been able to follow the MFW lesson plans, and learn to look back in the text for information and play with the online flashcards and do very well on these tests.

And remember, you have this forum to help with lots of people who have been there, done that. I know it sounds overwhelming, but just put one foot in front of the other and keep walking a step at a time. MFW has easy to follow lesson plans.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:30 am

I have a son who is only in Biology in 10th grade -- even though he's good at math and pretty interested in science (just hates reading textbooks). Here are my thoughts based on this one kid...

I think EX1850 science is okay for 7th grade (but probably not 1850MOD science), but I'd at least try some of General in 7th if you can. First of all, you don't know if your child will rise to the occasion, and second of all, if it is a big challenge, it will give you more time to complete it. Maybe you would start General this year and finish next year, stepping it up to a faster pace in 8th and doing less hand-holding. And in 7th-9th grades, I've seen my son really take a step up in the middle of the school year. So, later in 7th grade he was more ready for General than at the beginning, and the pace could be picked up around February. The same thing happened in 8th. If you don't start General at all until 8th, you will lose all of your remaining wiggle room.

Now I'll tell you the problems with being so flexible and letting one year run into the next, some of which you mentioned.

1. It means that I must do some planning and some changing of plans, instead of letting Marie do it all for me. When my son got to 9th, he had done some of Physical Science already, and I chose to have one complete credit in that rather than starting Biology 2nd semester, which I could have done.

2. It means that I must make some of the decisions on grading my son's 9th grade science for his transcript. I surely would rather just plug in the numbers and pull out the grade based on MFW lesson plans. I'm finishing his transcript this week because college applications for high schoolers for MN PSEO are due early next week. I can tell you that the credits where I just stuck to Marie Hazell's plans are sooooooooooo easy to grade!

3. It means that my son has "Physical Science" on his transcript for 9th grade, which does not look as good as "Biology." This isn't totally unusual, since one of the most college-prep public high schools in my state does "Conceptual Physics" in 9th grade. Physical & Conceptual are not the same thing, but they aren't on totally different planets, either (here's that school's 9th grade science outline https://sites.google.com/a/apps.edina.k ... s/syllabus ).

4. It means my son probably won't have time for any cool science topics in 12th grade (I'd love to do Bioethics or something), because he'll be doing Physics that year.

All that said, there are also tons of helps for getting through Apologia science, including the planned-out daily assignments in MFW lesson plans, the little helps on the CD-ROM that comes with MFW Apologia packages, the audiobook version that Apologia sells for like $15, online vocabulary flashcards at Quizlet and such, vocabulary bookmarks and other helps at Donna Young's site, even free "classroom versions" at Virtual Homeschool Group. Once you get started with Apologia middle school, you'll be able to gauge what aspects could use some bolstering and ask around for those specific supports.

Hope that helps you think this thru,
Julie
P.S. I agree with Crystal that Physical Science in 8th grade will not go on your transcript. The idea is that you get to put higher level science on there.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 am

Some ideas if you do go with EX1850 science in 7th grade:

Second semester will not be too bad to "beef up" with the Botany book. Have the 7th grade take responsibility for any experiments and really have that student keep a notebook that matches ability and level.

First semester? it's taxonomy of animal kingdom. you have a "simple" text with some hands on stuff. and you have the encyclopedia information book. make sure you use the advanced readings in those books. Again, have 7th grader take more responsibility.
and in General Science, apologia... they will get more in taxonomy at jr. high level and probably remember plenty from ex1850. and then also learn a bunch of new stuff.

You'll have to make your decisions for short and long term needs for the student.

mdarce

Unread post by mdarce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Jen,
I do not have any advice but I am in the same boat ....I have an upcoming 7th grader who I don't feel is ready for the General science load (seems a lot more than what we are used to) but I am trusting it will all go well. I really appreciate the tips Crystal gave and will definitely be putting those into practice.
Love these boards :-)
Blessings!
Michelle
dd 9
dd12

ilovemy4kids

Anyone here NOT use Apologia for 7th grader?

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Fri May 18, 2012 12:39 pm

KelsiTX wrote:It just hit me a few weeks ago that it would be time soon to check out the 7th/8th grade recommendations and supplements for my DD. Of course, I've been checking into Apologia online and at fair and just can't see her (or I ;-) doing this. Has anyone else done something different when they get here?

She is not strong in math and I'm just afraid Apologia would be a bit complex for her....to me, it just seems like a big change from the science in the previous years. And she is planning to be a wife and mom one day, she would love to be involved with volunteer or charity type work or in missions. With my DS, it will probably be very different in these years. I guess I was curious to see what others did. Since she's already comfortable with Aces Paces, I feel the science will work fine. Thanks for responding!
We love apologia and began all but one child with General Science in 7th grade. So far no regrets on the Apologia at all. I do regret using a different course for 7th and 8th with the other child.

If you truly feel that she couldn't do general science in 7th, I'd just start in 8th then do Physical for 9th, Biology for tenth and Chemistry for 11th and call it good for science at that point if she wishes to do so. Even if her focus is to be a wife and mother (which I am!), having a solid science background can only help her in teaching her own children and also in many other aspects of life. To complete the above sequence she will only need math through Alg 1 which according to the above she could take as late as 10 grade, concurrent with Biology.

My two cents....

Blessings
Sandra

LSH in MS

Re: Anyone here NOT use Apologia for 7th grader?

Unread post by LSH in MS » Sat May 19, 2012 1:11 pm

I agree with Sandra. My ds has dyslexia and I am starting him with General Science in 7th this fall. I am okay if he takes 2 years, open book tests etc (at least at the beginning) but I do want him to begin studying from a textbook.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

LSH in MS

"off track" in general ...and what to do next for scienc

Unread post by LSH in MS » Thu May 31, 2012 6:50 pm

rxmom wrote:Just wanted to see what you all would do....Long story short...our family participated in a CC Co-op this past school year and silly me thought I could do both - Anyway, we are now only on week 12 of Exp to 1850 and of course we love it but my 7th grader will not finish EXP to 1850 until late November. Anyway, he is currently doing the EXP 1850 science (animals/plants) with the other 2 kiddos and he loves this. (It was easier for me to keep him with us while I'm trying to make up for lost time)

So, as far as next science step...Should I skip General Science and move on to Physical Science in January or would you just pick up with the General Science when we are done with EXP to 1850?? My thought was to move on to Physical Science in what is technically the middle of his 8th grade year. Does this make any sense? In everything else I think we'll be able to catch up by high school. He has kept up in Math, Writing, and LA. Any advice on how to proceed? Thanks so much.
:-)
Well, here are two options (there may be more). You can do General Science in 8th and Physical in 9th. Physical Science can count as a high school credit. The public schools here do Physical in 9th and Biology in 10th. I am going this route for one of my sons. (He will do General in 7th but it may take him 2 years). Or you can skip General and go straight to Physical. My boys both enjoyed Physical much more than General.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

Julie in MN

Re: "off track" in general ...and what to do next for scienc

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Okay, Lori gave you option 1 and option 2.

Option 3 might be to get General and choose some modules to work on from there, but leave open the options of skipping some modules or of doing all the modules.

I like options :)
Julie

rxmom

Re: "off track" in general ...and what to do next for scienc

Unread post by rxmom » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:50 am

Yes, I like all those options! It is good to have options...
Thanks, ladies.
:-)
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT

cbollin

7th grade science question

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:24 pm

NJCheryl wrote:We will be doing exploration - 1850 this year with a 4th grader and 7th grader, as well as a 1st grader doing mfw 1st. my 7th grader is a struggling learner and I have heard from other who have used the recommended science for 7th grade that it is quite challenging. I am looking for opinions on if it would be ok to just do the science included in exploration - 1850 with her this year and not move on in the science until next year. Would that mess us up for high school? I am thinking it would be too difficult for her an dhte beauty of home school is to work at your own pace, right?

Cheryl
General can be done in 8th grade and not mess up high school. Here are some thinking points on it....

scope/sequence issues:

8th General
9th Physical
10th Biology
11th Chemistry
12th: could be Physics, or an Advanced bio or chem.
Some colleges are starting to get a little snobby on whether physical science with lab in 9th will meet their wishes for college prep. But if you have science in all years.. that can "make up for that issue".

7th General
8th Physical
9th Bio
10th Chem
11th either Advanced of one of those.. or Physics
12th pick Physics or Advanced

either way... you can still get the "bio and chem" in high school and an advanced course. currently lots of colleges seem to be saying "3 lab sciences" bio and then either chem or physics (not physical), and one other.

so if you start in 8th grade.. it's ok.

other considerations.... you could always use a different jr. high science than apologia.

Another consideration..... if you wait a year on General and start in 8th... with a struggling learner.... what things will you do to help her overcome her struggles? will you start that in 7th grade with whatever you use, or wait until 8th? There's a tug of war with "homeschool work on at your own pace". does it mean to slow down the first module and do it together, or does it mean wait to start General for a semester, or year... adapt.. . wait? and the answer might look different in your home than mine.....

I was nervous about doing General in 7th with my middle gal. She's one of my strugglers... but we gave it a try with adaptations. Audio reading of the text. Lab write up sheets can be made a little easier. You can take some time to turn the Apologia test from write all answers and make it matching, or multichoice, or "word bank".... .

I found she was just interested more in the new topics instead of reviewing more on animals again. She read parts of the botany book for herself for fun in the spring and summer. That was interesting to her. But she enjoyed learning in her own style and needs in the topics in General. She was growing up a bit.

and we enjoyed online flash cards. I'll link here
http://wikis.engrade.com/nctgs/nctgs1

not sure I have a good answer for you. but that's my experience with my daughter. Our way was to give her more, adjust for her style of learning. Learning how to Learn...

I guess the way to describe it is like this:
I did General with her in 7th, but treated her like she was in a regular "classroom" instead of "advanced honor classroom" in terms of helps/hints/expectations. I didn't have her repeat the elementary science and beef it up. It was, for us, a good experience to help learn how to learn. I didn't grade her the exact way with this counting for that percent like I did with oldest. And I didn't make her do it all by herself either.

-crystal

jasntas

Re: 7th grade science question

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:27 pm

cbollin wrote:I was nervous about doing General in 7th with my middle gal. She's one of my strugglers... but we gave it a try with adaptations. Audio reading of the text. Lab write up sheets can be made a little easier. You can take some time to turn the Apologia test from write all answers and make it matching, or multichoice, or "word bank".... .
Crystal,

Do you know of a resource that has already turned the tests into matching, multiple choice, work bank type tests? I actually made up similar tests this summer for our Latin word study but it was a lot of work and I don't want to have to make up my own science tests (when the time comes) if it's already been done.

Just wondering...
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Tammie,

I never looked. I just did them as I came to them. Didn't take too long for me to convert the Apologia tests. I wasn't making them up from scratch. It was revise what was there and use the answer key to help. (no.. I didn't save them in word doc.. oops.. imagine that.. )
and she didn't need them for every module either. But I know I was in the habit for the "define" these words section of tests.

One thing I've heard over the years is that once upon a time the publisher would send out alternative tests. Perhaps you could contact Apologia's customer service and see if that is rumor on the 'net, or an option?

It's possible that taking the module summaries (aka appendix B) and using those. Or maybe even that link I gave...

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:10 pm

cbollin wrote:One thing I've heard over the years is that once upon a time the publisher would send out alternative tests. Perhaps you could contact Apologia's customer service and see if that is rumor on the 'net, or an option?
I agree, it's worth a try, because I've heard of this as well.

Another option is to use VirtualHomeschoolGroup online, which has to use multiple choice since it's done online.

A third option is to join one of the yahoo groups like "Apologia_Science" and look in their files, as many folks post them on those groups.

Julie

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks Crystal and Julie. I thought of checking the yahoo groups after Crystal answered. I'm awaiting approval to one of the groups now. (I know, I don't really need to know yet. But it doesn't hurt to be prepared, I guess. And it may help Cheryl or someone else in the process. :) )

NJCheryl

Unread post by NJCheryl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Thanks ladies! I am going to mull over your thoughts and suggestions. Sometimes I wish I had a neon sign that would give me all the answers!
cbollin wrote:Eat
at
Joe's

love it, but not exactly what I was looking for! :-)

Poohbee

Science for 7th grader

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu May 29, 2014 2:52 pm

thelapps wrote:We are beginning Exploration to 1850 this coming school year. My son who will be going into 7th grade has been studying through the cycles with his two younger brothers. The science scheduled for this year is a study of plants and animals. My 7th grader loves both and we've never studied them in depth before. He's the one who wants to do the animal chores and help with the gardening.

I would much prefer having him study with us than to go into Apologia General Science. What would your take on it be? Will the science in Expl- 1850 be "enough"? Looking forward to your advice!
Marie
Hello, Marie!
We are just finishing Exploration to 1850. I had a 7th grader and a 3rd grader this year. My 7th grader did do the Apologia General Science, and I did the animal and plant study with my 3rd grader. It worked fine for us to do it that way.

Truly, I think it could certainly work well for your 7th grader to continue to study science with the rest of the family in the coming school year rather than going into General Science, if that is what you and he both desire. The Answers in Genesis book, The World of Animals, which is one of the books used for the animal study, is written for students in 1st through 8th grades. You can use the book for students in any of those grades. There are "Challenge" sections in the book for students in 6th-8th grades. The other World of Animals book is basically an encyclopedia, and with my 3rd grader, I certainly didn't read all of the information. There is so much! But, you could have your 7th grader read everything.

The Apologia Botany study is marvelous, and I found myself wishing my 7th grader was going through that with us. I think she would have benefitted from some of the in-depth study of plants that my 3rd grader did. In fact, during the last 4 weeks of the school year, when we were doing our state study, I let my 7th grader set Gen. Sci. aside while she joined us for the nature journaling at the end of the botany book, and she'll finish her gen. sci. next year before starting physical science. If you required your 7th grader to complete all of the questions, journaling, projects, and experiments in the botany book, it would probably be enough. That's just my opinion, anyway.

I know that in our state, students in the public schools don't do physical science until 9th grade. So, if your son did general science in 8th grade and physical science in 9th grade, it would probably be just fine.

This is just my opinion, and I'm sure there are various reasons to have a student do gen. sci. in 7th and phys. sci. in 8th, but I do think it could work for your son to put those off a year so he could study animals and plants in depth with the rest of the family. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

MelissaB

Re: Science for 7th grader

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu May 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi, Marie. We've recently finished Expl-1850, too. Agreeing with Jen, yes, I would absolutely let our 7th grader join the animal/botany studies. Both curricula are designed for students at that level as well.

Enjoy! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

jasntas

Re: Science for 7th grader

Unread post by jasntas » Fri May 30, 2014 12:02 pm

I would look ahead at the science schedule for high school and determine whether or not you feel he could afford to start later.

Personally, what you are proposing is what we did this year but my ds is dyslexic AND behind in math so I plan to go a different route with him for science than is suggested by MFW. (I did not realize in time that his math placement affected his science placement until it was a bit too late for him to be able to catch up last year.)
TriciaMR wrote:Tammie, hugs... We will probably do a non-traditional science path, too, as I don't think dyslexic dd will have the math down for chemistry.
Thanks Tricia. Hugs to you, too! I would love to know the path she takes for science and also how MFW HS goes with her.
TriciaMR wrote:It all depends on how she does with Algebra 1. We're at lesson 40 and started in January. We'll do biology this fall. If she finishes Alg 1, we'll do chem next. But then probably Marine biology and Astronomy from Master Books. I don't think she really needs Physics. Or, we'll do biology, marine biology, astronomy and save chem for her senior year.
Thank you Tricia. :)

Sorry about the thread highjack Marie. :~