ECC - Writing short country summary & longer country report

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
cbollin

ECC - Writing short country summary & longer country report

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:25 pm

2 Students?

It is unlikely to be necessary to have 2 of the Writing a Country Report books.

I think there are 2 separate writing times related to the geography with the separated bullet points on the 7th grade page Geography section. There is a long "term paper" report and shorter bi-weekly (approximate) "summary report".

I think the Writing a Country Report book is for the more indepth report. And that it is a guide to writing such a research paper (similar to how the Writing a State Report book is used). I guess parent decides if it should be 1 or 2 in depth reports per year?? and which country to do.

Then, for the Country Summary Sheets, those are done for each country studied (or approximately every 2 weeks). Then you'd use the Country Summary Sheet, http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/Country_Summary_Sheet.pdf , to complete that smaller "report". In order to easily complete those short summary pages, MFW is recommending to use either
1. World Book on CD or
2. the printed world book (buy or use library if available) or
3. a Geography textbook (such as Bob Jones) for "filling in" that information for each country.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Julie in MN

ECC question about writing a country report

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:23 am

rosecottage wrote:My 12 yo daughter is very excited about the book "Writing A Country Report." When I purchased the book, I expected it to instruct a student in how to write a report, picturing a traditional essay as the finished product. While I see that the beginning of the book does instruct on research methods, and there is instruction of how to cite references, most of it looks like more of a collection of worksheets that the student fills in.

It does look terrific, so much so that my 10 year old might opt to do one (I will not require it of her, but I won't stop her if she makes time to do it). My 12 yo says she might do two country reports, she is so excited (and really, I am treating her as a 6th grader for ECC, for the most part, but she lit up when I asked her if she wanted me to get some of the 7th grade supplements). She works on the country report in her free time, for fun. Also, she is up to lesson 12 in Writing Strands 3, and doing well with it.

Anyway, my question is, how have some of you used this book? What do you recommend? Have you required your students to write a regular essay, using the worksheets to help them collect their information? Or have you had them fill in the worksheets as an end in itself? I need to decide what I will expect of her before she gets too far ahead of me... She is sitting next to me, filling out those sheets as I type this...
Gotta love a kid who's enthusiastic!!!

My understanding is that there are 2 reports going on in ECC for older kids --

(1) summarize each country you visit using something like this form:
http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/Country_Summary_Sheet.pdf

(2) write a more in-depth country report once or twice during the year using the book you mentioned -- mostly using the first half of the book for instruction rather than the second half with its worksheets

If you have students not yet in 7th or 8th, maybe the worksheet pages will be just right for them? You could even add them to the country packets -- or substitute or something? I certainly would take advantage of the enthusiasm!

A lot of my understanding about the reports suggested for 7th/8th has come from studying the basic MFW description here
http://www.mfwbooks.com/ecc_7-8.htm
as well as via talking with Crystal, such as our conversation on this thread: [above]

There are LOTS of other folks who have done these reports, but apparently none are as cyber-chatty as we are :o) We both have upcoming 7th graders, but she is the one doing ECC this year while I'm not doing it until some time in 8th grade.

I hope lots of folks who have done this will chime in & help both you and I to plan our ECC years :o)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: ECC question about writing a country report

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:38 am

rosecottage wrote: Have you required your students to write a regular essay, using the worksheets to help them collect their information?
That's my plan for my 7th grader.

The skills needed for writing essays has already been covered in Writing Strands 3, 4, 5. So we're using the book called Writing A Country Report as a way to help narrow down the research topics and to be more of paragraph prompts for a potentially very long research report (which in my brain is different from a 5 paragraph essay on a narrowed down topic. In fact, I see many of the pages of Writing A Country Report as the potential for a collection of many 4 or 5 paragraph reports.)

However, if all my kid did was research and fill in everything in all sections of Writing a Country Report, she'd end up with a really good research paper. Not all of it is "fill in the blank". There are some things that are fill in the blanks such as p. 25 or the tops of the charts for climate. But many times, it is showing the topics about which to write. Example -- p. 32, you'd have the child write one paragraph EACH for agricultural products, mineral products, manufactured products, and other --- as a way to write just one 4 paragraph report on just the economy of the country. Or take pages 22-23 -- those blanks are showing a paragraph worth of information, not just a fill in the blank answer. :-)

But again, it is assumed in the MFW framework (or within any curriculum) that you have at least begun to cover the skills of writing paragraphs and multiple paragraphs in essay.

So keep moving forward in Writing Strands -- you've been covering those essays and paragraphs without realizing it :-) Lesson 7 and 10 are really good examples. It didn't involve the research because the topic was your house or bedroom. But that's where the essay style lessons are being taught. You made a how many paragraph essay about your room?? And there's more of that in WS 4 as well.

There are 24 pages of guidelines on what to write. Isn't that enough for a 7th grade research paper? (so says my 7th grader???) <grin>Spread that out over 4 schools weeks or so, and you're having them work to stay on target for 6 pages a week on the report. Now granted, some of the information is just logistical stuff and won't be hard to do. other things will not always be a 4 or 5 paragraph summary of the topic -- sometimes they will have to research for data points and make a chart/graph on their own.

and if you want to add a simple book while writing the report to just make sure that you are covering it all while doing a report... considering having on hand a reference book that is a about writing reports and essays. My library has a section of such reference books and it is nice to check those out for formatting and anything else to help guide through organizing a report or whatever. Having something like that helped me realize that those skills were being covered. <grin>

Julie brought up about the country summary sheets each week. If someone prompts me I'll talk a bit about what we're doing with those. I had to narrow it down for my child to be able to do those with the World Book CD.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbollin

Country Summary Sheets

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:58 pm

dascott wrote:Crystal,
I would like to know what you are doing with the Country Summary Sheets, we are just getting started in week 2 so we haven't started them yet. Thanks!
Dedra
Well I'm still in the trial and error phase of this.

I decided that my kid needed a wee bit more structure to the sheets that just the topics that are listed. I decided that perhaps if she had specific things to look up and research from world book on it -- then she could just pull it together. One of the main points of the CSS is to do more research and more writing. But the topics were so broad that she just couldn't get it focused enough on that first CSS. Remember, these aren't supposed to be these huge long reports. Just a few facts -- we'll probably adjust here and there as we go. One idea I had was to see about formatting it something like the People geography page in the World Geography book --except for just the country, not the whole continent. But, that seems too ambitious right now. But we are using it as a small reference point :-)

Instead, these are her bullet points to research and write at least one or two good sentences for each:

Government:
*Type
*Branches???
*Who is the leader right now?

People:
*Ethnic percentage (i.e. demographics)

Religion
*Percentage of various religions in that country

Education
*Law requires to attend from age to age?
*Rate of Literacy?
*Gov’t school vs private?
*Is homeschooling (legal? Check hslda website, and let's pray accordingly)
*anything unusual from our schooling that you noted

Land
*Kinds of regions
*Oceans/lakes Or major river
*Highest point, lowest point
*Area of the country (sq miles or sq km)

Economy
*What is the basis of the economy? (agriculture, tourism, industry, service/government)
*per capita income
*name of the currency of the country

History (and this is the one that we're still in trial and error to figure out what to write about. How do you summarize a country's history in just a few sentences??? I don't know. too broad and vague for me.

*Gained independence or founding date or something like that
*name some recent developments or was anything in the news recently?
*name one or two fascinating facts that you discovered while reading about country

I'm sure it'll change as the year goes. I'd love to hear what others did in previous years.
-crystal

cbollin

7th grader ECC, Country Summary Sheets, and daily writin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:39 am

TMarie wrote:I have questions about my 7th graders writing and use of the Country Summary Sheets.

Should she write on the sheet? There isn’t enough room for a paragraph on each subject. So, how do we use this sheet? Note taking? Or, should she just write a few sentences under each topic?

If she is writing a paragraph (or more as the instructions say), should I expect a paragraph for each topic? Research is only assigned 2 days per week. That would be 7 topics in 4 days! Is this what the curriculum intends?

How about this plan: Every day she could research a topic, take notes, then write one paragraph from her notes. Is this too much to expect? How many minutes should I expect her to research if it’s every day? And then, how long for writing?
When my oldest did ECC 2 years ago, we used the "2 days for research" as a reminder to keep working on the summary sheet. I certainly viewed it as a way to help her stay on track to finish it in 2 weeks.

She used the sheet in the manual as a way to know which topics to write about. She typed all of her in Word documents. I never thought the sheet was to be written on.
My oldest would read the topic from World Book dvd/cd (whichever it is). Then write 3-5 sentence summary of the topic. Probably 20 minutes total.

Sometimes we did oral reports on the topics instead.
Sometimes, we tweaked it to answer something specific.

I got to the point in the year where I saw the CSS as a way to make sure she was reading World Book or other books on the country and writing a few sentences on the subtopics.

We had a learning curve with it (especially since she did ECC in 7th grade the year before the 2nd edition manual was published). But we walked through it together and she learned that she was just summarizing information from World Book (which could not be copied and pasted. ha ha ha ha) And put it in her words to form sentences.

Just one perspective. I'm looking forward to hearing how others did it.
-crystal

DS4home

Re: 7th grader ECC, Country Summary Sheets, and daily writin

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:10 pm

We do it much like how Crystal has described. My ds reads the article for each topic listed, then he has to write 3 sentences about it. We just finished week 4, so he has only done one so far. He is not liking this at all, and I was pulling teeth to get 3 sentences out of him :~ I wouldn't call it a paragraph. He gives me the 3 most memorable things he read. So the sentences don't necessarily blend into a well thought out paragraph. Maybe he'll get better as the year goes on...
He also types them up in a word document, with a fancy font for the country title on the top. He spent 20 minutes on the design of it and wouldn't write a simple sentence for me - Ugh!! Sorry, that's not what you want to hear. He did get it done in the 2 weeks alotted though and now we are onto Mexico :-)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:23 pm

DS4home wrote: Maybe he'll get better as the year goes on...
we had plenty of learning curve weeks like that too. LOL. I think it's the age....

Then as the year went on, she got into using google images, or playing to make a graph or chart and didn't always cover all of the topics. I was fine with that because I enjoyed watching her computer skills grow. we were impressed with her end of year full length country report.

wonder what it was like for Julie's on in 8th grade?
-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:25 pm

cbollin wrote:wonder what it was like for Julie's (s)on in 8th grade?
-crystal
Well, I always go to the source, since my memory is faulty & I have everything handy here on the computer. Here's Reid's first country report. I think he wrote more "blurbs" than actual "paragraphs." But as I recall, it was on par with the sample in the ECC manual (2nd edition), if you adapt for a boy who is very chatty and wanted to write a poem for one of them :~

Usually ds wrote everything quickly, so the extra day (or two) for this particular child was spent editing 8]
P.S. His favorite resource was the CIA Factbook online.
  • Facts
    Capital: Ottowa
    Official Language: English and French
    Form of Government: Parliamentary Democracy
    Area: 3,849,000 miles squared
    Population: 26,835,500
    Chief Products: Natural resources
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Government: Canada is a Parliamentary Democracy which is a democracy just set up a little differently when it comes to power. Due to the double main language in Canada, the government must use both languages of English and French.

People: The people there consist of French, Inuits, Indians and English people. Most of the French live in Quebec.

Religion: The main religions in Canada are Roman Catholic and Protestant.

Education: Canada is similar to us; they want citizens to have 17 years of schooling.

Land: Canada has a very wide variety of land. From mountains to plains, but one thing remains. THE SNOW. Canada also has more lakes than any other country!

Economy: According to a Canadian on the internet, the USA debt is 12 trillion and rising, the Canadian debt is not even a trillion, and falling.

History: Canada became independent from France in 1763 and England in 1867.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Dear Marie,

The country summary report does not have to be written in paper or report form. You only need to expect 1-3 sentences for a simple summary of each topic. I set a side 30 minutes for the daily geography work for my son in 7th grader to either work on the Country Summary report or the World Geography packet. If your daughter completes the World Geography pages for the day and has time left you may have her use that additional time to work on the country summary report. Like the others we used a word document with these topics.

You may work it out in your family the way that will best help your daughter to complete the project. It will be a learning process and the process in the first few weeks will be as important as the product. As your daughter becomes more comfortable with the World Book Encyclopedia DVD-ROM and the format of the country summary report and the World Geography pages, I think you will find her improving in the product of her work.

Lucy
(great example Julie! We were posting at the same time so I just saw this :))

Julie in MN

Country Report?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Keer wrote:Forgive me if this is mentioned somewhere in ECC (I tried looking but couldn't find anything), but what is a good guideline for the length of the Country Report in the 7th-8th grade supplement? I'm talking about the Country Report that's started in Week 27. :)
There are some ideas for the state reports here. Those use a very similar guide book. I like the variety of different styles.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4831

I don't remember reading about anyone's ECC big report. I look forward to seeing if you get some responses.
Julie

cbollin

Re: Country Report?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:26 pm

well, we got carried away and it ended up about 10 pages in word processing and that included graphs, maps, other pictures (flags, etc), title page, TOC, bibliography. and apparently it was not double spaced. I guess that means she wrote about 7 Word doc pages over a month's time. Some topics were just a paragraph or two. Others were longer. she included pictures etc.

I'm giggling out loud. One of the references in the bibliography is the TM for EX1850 (recipe for Russian corn bread or something like that)

I don't know if that is "too much" or "average" or what. She seemed to enjoy learning about all the different things in microsoft Word that she could do (table of contents generator, and auto page numbers, and footnotes and pulling in images and resizing them.)

-crystal

Keer

Unread post by Keer » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:51 am

This will most DEFINITELY stretch him quite a bit. I might do well to get 3 pages out of him LOL. But it will be good for him. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Kirstin
teaching ds (10th), ds (8th), dd (7th), ds (4th), dd (3rd), and dd (K)
keeping ds (3yo) and dd (1yo) out of trouble

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:10 am

If 3 pages of text is a challenge for him, then it is an ok number to reach for.

Do a title page
TOC
Bibliography page

and now it's a 6 page report. That's ok too.

My nerd gal got into her report. ;)

Here is just general out there advice that is intended to encourage any homeschooling parent in writing stuff.

-Trust yourself and carefully evaluate papers based on the suggestions in the Writing a Country Report. Did they follow the format given (which does not mean do every possible topic in the book) ? If so they have succeeded. If they take the sample pages and write several complete sentences and organize their thoughts, that's ok. Look for improvement.

-Are the papers getting better each time one is written? If so the student is learning and improving skills. (This is more important than quantity of page numbers.)

(((hugs)))

I trust you as your son's mom to be the best evaluator out there without worrying how it compares to my oldest nerd gal.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:34 am

Keer wrote:This will most DEFINITELY stretch him quite a bit. I might do well to get 3 pages out of him LOL. But it will be good for him. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
The way we did the state report (which I think is similar to the country report) is to choose one area for the actual "report" -- my son chose the history of Minnesota. He wrote about 1-1/2 pages on that. Then for the rest of the topics, he just looked them up and wrote one paragraph on each topic, plus sometimes a picture or a list or something (he probably could have skipped some, but what did I know :~ ) . Then as Crystal mentioned, the cover and such add bulk :)

I thought it was an interesting experience to discuss what a table of contents and bibliography were -- who knew my ds wouldn't know that?!
Julie

cbollin

Help with country summary report...

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:58 am

4littlehearts wrote:My dd is working on the one for the USA which would seem to be pretty easy but she is finding it very difficult to narrow down the info. for the history part. Because we know so much about US history it is difficult to narrow it all down to 2 paragraphs. To tell you the truth I am having a difficult time helping her. Should she make an extremely detailed report on this part of the summary or make it really short and sweet? Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!
I know that feeling.

When my oldest did the CSS in ECC, we tried to focus on these questions to keep it to a paragraph or two in history. We definitely didn't want to make it a full report each time.

*Early Exploration by other country
*Gained independence or founding date
*Influence in modern wars? or one factoid that was interesting to you from the World Book reading

then as the year went along, we'd tweak to one paragraph of something that was just interesting and mentioned the "independence day" b/c that kind of celebration can be a fun piece of info to know. I remember when I was in 10th grade and went on a trip to France during the month of July. It was important to know that 14th of July was a biggie date there.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Help with country summary report...

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:56 am

My 8th grader didn't write a report on the USA, because we only had one semester to do ECC, but I did copy one of his country reports here: [above] As you can see, he gave very short answers. His history answers mostly had to do with when a country was a colony or became independent.

However, if he had wanted to write long answers, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have stopped him :) Yes, there is value in learning how to be concise, but this particular child as you can see doesn't need to work on that area. So I guess it would depend on the child. If my child were always writing too much, then concise would be a major goal. Otherwise, I think any opportunity that presents itself for working on writing in 7th & 8th grades is an excellent opportunity indeed!

JMHO,
Julie

cbollin

Country Summary Sheet -- ECC Help!

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:40 pm

bookworm25 wrote:I was all set to help my son yesterday figure out how to use the World Book DVD to get some information for his first summary sheet. I spent some time trying to find a location where the facts at the top like the Capitol, official language, etc. would be found. Granted, since the first one is the United States, both of us already know the answers, but I think using it for a topic we know could help us know where to look to find the information when we don't.

I am a college graduate with ample research experience, but I was absolutely lost on that DVD. I could find lengthy articles on US history and government, but no simple list of such facts anywhere. Can someone tell me what I am missing? He looked before I was available to help him, and was as stumped as I was.
I don't have ours installed any more so I can't say click on this part. If no one is able to chime in with specific helps, I'd encourage you to call MFW office and ask them to walk you through some of it. but my oldest clicked and played with it... I remember she used it more for the paragraphs instead of the top stuff.

anyway for the stuff at the top of the sheet:
try here
https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... -factbook/

or something like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_states
and use the boxes on the right side of the screen on that second link
bookworm25 wrote: I am also a little apprehensive about expecting him to read articles as long as the history one was to come up with information on a short paragraph on US history.
I hear you on that part because we ran into that initial feeling. How to summarize too much into one paragraph. What I ended up encouraging my oldest to do was to either: summarize a cool story from the country's history in 3-5 sentences, or to answer some specific questions such as:

when did country gain independent status and from whom?
Who are 3 names that are major history people that you think students would learn about?

if I can find the other questions we came up with.. I know for some of them it helped us to narrow the focus for writing, other times it gave her fits to do that.

Julie in MN

Re: Country Summary Sheet -- ECC Help!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:34 pm

I had posted one of my son's reports here, maybe you've seen it?
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 238#p66238

He is big on typing everything, so he used online sources. The CIA Factbook was his major source. He also used info we had just learned during our ECC studies. And he did use the Worldbook CD, too, for things he didn't find anything interesting to say (for example, if the education info was too technical on the CIA site). And sometimes I "forced" him to use at least two sources (mean mama that I am). But mostly he just found out some things quickly and I used the opportunity to work on his understanding of what would be appropriate and/or interesting in this type of summary.

Julie

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:32 am

Dear Bookworm5,

Thank you for beginning this topic as I am sure you are not the only one who has found it difficult to find the information on the World Book Encyclopedia DVD-ROM. Below are some simple steps that will help you to find a brief overview of each country.

Once you have opened World Book on your computer:

1. Click "Atlas" from the Search box
2. Click the continent of the country being researched
3. Click the country
4. Click "Article"--This will give you a brief overview of the country
5. From this page also find the link to "Facts in Brief" where you will find more information on the country

When you search by topic you will find extensive information on the country. If your student is interested in finding out more information about a specific area after reading the condensed information in the above article, he or she may do so without having to summarize from such a large body of information.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Lucy

Melissa

Unread post by Melissa » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:31 pm

My daughter has been using a program that is available through our library's website called CultureGrams. http://www.culturegrams.com/products/onlineedition.htm

It has very helpful and is updated annually. Our library's website has several versions of it available - a world edition, kids edition, States edition, & Provinces edition. It has been so helpful to her and to the rest of us as well. For each country we go to, while we're taking our "plane ride", we listen to the national anthem and I give some general info about the country. Then I check the current exchange rate and the weather at the airport.

So all this to say, check your library's website and see if this resource or something similar is available - we're found it pretty neat.

MFW-Lucy

Having trouble searching for Country Summary Sheet info.

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Winni wrote:Hi all,
I was hoping that my 7th grader could find all of the information she needs for the country summary sheets on the World Book DVD Rom. However, we just started this today and when I type in something like "form of government united states" it does not bring up our form of government in an article. It's the same with "official language united states." We know it is English, but how will she find the official language of other countries? Thanks!
Hi Tracey,

The World Book Encyclopedia has a nifty feature to search a topic. This will allow you to find the country article. Here is how to find an article for a country on the DVD-ROM:

From the Home Screen:
>> Choose "Topics" from the Search Box (left side of the screen)
>> Type in the country you are searching for as the topic and enter--this will bring up the article for that country and will give you the information you need. You will find an introductory paragraph about the topics and then more details.
>> Scroll down a little ways until you see "Country in Brief" (right after the introduction to the country and before the Government heading.
Open this and you will find some of the information needed for the summary sheet in a simple format, such as population, language, etc.

Reading or scanning through the article will provide a deeper knowledge and understanding of the country and will help you find the information for the summary. The pictures may be opened and a brief caption telling about the picture can be seen as well. If you look at the top you will see options, one of these is "Browse Media". This will give you many options for more pictures, videos, and songs such as the national anthem. Look at the sidebar and explore all the different items that can be viewed to learn more about the country. Not all countries will have all media types represented. As you browse the article you will also find other icons to click on to give graphs and charts of information such as natural resources and weather.

Happy Exploring!
cbollin wrote:with the 2008 edition, I struggle finding the US facts in brief in one place.

The other countries were much easier to navigate for the facts in brief.
those are "click point footnotes" with a icon click point...

for the US, in our older edition of the software, it was harder.
so for US we used the cia world fact book online.
there could be changes in the WB software.
I actually checked other countries and they were all similar, but I did not even check the U.S.

I just took a look at it. The U.S. article actually has facts in brief throughout the article and are set up differently from the others (probably similar in the older versions it sounds like). The summaries in brief are more like a brief overview of significant events in history. I think the reason the U.S. has a more extensive article and several facts in brief is because this encyclopedia is published here in the U.S., therefore more information is dedicated to our country (just a guess). Thanks Crystal for looking at that one!

Lucy

cbollin

ECC - Need resource for Country Summary Sheet

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:44 pm

Winni wrote:The World Book CD Rom is just too advanced in vocabulary for my 7th grader, at least for the Government section of the Country Summary Sheet in ECC. Has anyone else had this type of problem?
I think you might be running into the problem I had with the first country summary sheets. Over expectations of what to write, and dealing with the overkill info n the US article in WB.
I think this is the same issue from yesterday. The USA article is just over kill in information and harder navigate. Why not just use the info in A Trip Around the World for US and label the country summary sheet govt as the word "democracy". (simplified answer in the book I reference) Then, if needed, look that up in dictionary.
or an info book from basket. or the side bars on wikipedia for some of the fact file stuff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

then, just enjoying surfing WB and playing it with for the 2 weeks in the USA. It will be easier with other countries in my opinion and memory.
spend more time in WB this week exploring the pictures at load up, and playing with the click points. yes I wish the US article were different. It'll be ok even if all your student does on the gov't for US is to put the name of the current president and of the head of your state on the list.

wait a minute...
you did 1850MOD last year, right? Do you still have Children's Ency. of American History? turn to page 52. look at the bottom left hand corner. Will that work? I hope our page numbers are the same. If not, look in the index under Federal Government and check those pages for a little chart called "how the federal govt' is organized"

Take a look some of the other countries on WB. for example, Canada -- use the "canada in brief" icon click point and you'll see the info.
Mexico. try it... is that too advanced? It is perfectly ok to introduce a few words at this age. The Mexico government description isn't that "advanced" except for the word "federal" or maybe "republic"????
grab a dictionary and look them up together.

Over the year, as your 7th grader hears some of the types of government around the world, then some of it will make a bit more sense. The idea is that not all countries have the same thing we do. Certain new vocab words will emerge. 7th grader is not going to understand all aspects of it this year.

granted, I didn't have the benefit of a country summary sheet sample in the 1st edition manual. Isn't there one in the 2nd edition manuals? yep. You can see the sample in the manual on 2nd edition at the expectations for this.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: ECC - Need resource for Country Summary Sheet

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:25 pm

I have all my son's old files on my computer so my curiosity gets me to looking. I see he didn't do a country report on the USA, since we were only doing ECC for one semester, and we had just studied the USA in depth in 1850MOD. So his first one was on Canada and here it is, if it would help at all.

And about the government, I'd probably say "democratic republic" for the USA. I think it's a good conversation with a 7-8th grader to realize that a "true" or "complete" democracy is very unlikely since that means that everyone would get to decide everything !! So, many governments spend a lot of time trying to make the democracy part of their government as strong as possible without total chaos. But complete understanding doesn't have to happen yet ;)
  • Canada
    Facts
    Capital: Ottowa
    Official Language: English and French
    Form of Government: Parliamentary Democracy
    Area: 3,849,000 miles squared
    Population: 26,835,500
    Chief Products: Natural resources

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Government: Canada is a Parliamentary Democracy which is a democracy just set up a little differently when it comes to power. Due to the double main language in Canada, the government must use both languages of English and French.

People: The people there consist of French, Inuits, Indians and English people. Most of the French live in Quebec.

Religion: The main religions in Canada are Roman Catholic and Protestant.

Education: Canada is similar to us, they want citizens to have 17 years of schooling.

Land: Canada has a very wide variety of land. From mountains to plains, but one thing remains. THE SNOW. Canada also has more lakes than any other country!

Economy: According to a Canadian on the internet, the USA debt is 12 trillion and rising, the Canadian debt is not even a trillion, and falling.

History: Canada became independent from France in 1763 and England in 1867.

Tracey in ME

Re: ECC - Need resource for Country Summary Sheet

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks, gals, this helps a lot! Yes, Crystal, we did 1850-Mod last year. I have the most recent of the history book. It's good to hear that the US one is the most difficult to understand...at least I think that is what you are getting at, right?

Why are the first things the hardest? Hahaha (General Science Mod. 1 test).
cbollin wrote:because we think that the beginning of the year they are supposed to be fully "transitioned" or whatever
instead of saying "oh... this is the beginning of 7th grade. let me treat you like an advanced 6th grader for a few weeks"
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

ECC Country summary sheet

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Winkie wrote:My 8th grader is scheduled to start the country summary sheets. I have the examples in the TM to know what to do, but is there an actual physical sheet to be filled out? Is it somewhere in the Student Sheets? I got the 7th-8th supplement, but wasn't that just extra books to read? Thanks for your help!
Hi Wendy,
Yes, your student creates his own country summary sheet or "report." Some will do them by hand; my son did everything on the computer. Each report may come out with different lengths in different areas, so we just followed the example in the manual and let it flow.

I did end up creating a computer template (meaning the writing areas are not fixed squares, but the headings are there). If your dd does hers on the computer, that might be helpful. Mine looked like this (with the Canada info taken out LOL):
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 140#p79140

Julie