ECC - What parts are too young for 7th & 8th

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
Julie in MN

ECC - What parts are too young for 7th & 8th

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:51 pm

TracyLee01026 wrote:My three kids will be doing ECC next year, ages 14, 12, and 9. My 14 yo is not quite ready for high school. My question is: is Global Art and Wee Sing Around the World too babyish for her? Should I substitute them with something else?

Also, how important are the Inflatable Globe, The Great Animal Search and Fun With Easy Origami to the curriculum? Can I omit them and not miss anything important? Thanks a bunch!
Tracy
Hi Tracy,
I think the babyishness depends greatly on the kids.

For instance, at our house...

1. Music: Both my 12-year-old and his mother (!) still enjoy the Wee Sing music, including the little singers who often introduce themselves in their own language. Hey, we even sing along with the Wee Sing CD that's in the preschool package (which is my grandson's very favorite). I compare our music additions to camp songs :o)

2. Art: I don't really plan to use the craft book again when ds does ECC in 8th grade, because I'm not crafty and don't know what to do with the things when we're done. However, I will be willing to use it if he chooses. Some of them really do give a feel for the country's crafts.

3. Globe: Some sort of round globe is extremely helpful in ECC, but it doesn't need to be that one. It helps if it is fairly current (i.e. doesn't say USSR etc.). The inflatable one is also enjoyed by my ds just because he likes to toss stuff around & knows I would frown if he tossed our non-inflatable globe :o)

4. Animal Search book: We never used it; Crystal still uses it at her house 5 years later. How's that for a range? It could always be in the book basket & possibly assist with some of the animal pages for older kids...

5. Origami: I think it's a fun option during the study of Japan, but you may have another set on hand. It doesn't need to be this particular one, but it's an inexpensive choice.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:55 pm

We are finishing up ECC. My kiddies are younger but I think global art will be fine for all ages. I actually did a lot of the projects right along with the kiddos and enjoyed them. I think it would really depend on your children.

I know 14 year olds that would be fine with Wee SIng or at least help the younger ones. We added music from the library or found music on line to get a taste of the music from various cultures as well. You wouldn't need to purchase any other resources to do that.

You don't need the inflatable globe, any globe will do. The idea there is just so that the children are able to not only identify a location on the wall map but on the globe as well. It is good for them to see the difference. I found an inflatable globe at a local teacher store here for 5 or 6 dollars. I think I've seen a globe bouncy ball at walmart for a dollar. Again though the idea of the globe is for perspective.

We used an origami book that we already had. There are plenty of origami books at the library too. In fact my library actually had "Easy Origami" so not a major neccesity either. We didn't have the Great Animal Search book and we survived, however, I think it could have been useful with some of the research packet that my oldest was doing. My kiddies were also really fascinated with the animal studies that we did do. I will probably get it next time around but again we survived without it.

If you are planning on getting the basic package the only thing I would say absolutely don't leave out is the Missionary stories. My friend has the whole set so I borrowed them. My library also has some of them. But in my opinion they are NOT to miss.
Lynnette: Wife and Mother by the will of God.
ECC 07/08 with 9,7, and 2
CTG 08/09 with 10,8, and 3
www.homeschoolblogger.com/lyntley

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi Tracy :)

I'm sure it depends on the maturity of your 14yr old, but might you be able to turn art/music over to your oldest to LEAD your younger ones? I think it would be a great opportunity to sit down with your oldest child when you're preparing for the week, hand him/her the art, and discuss which projects could be done under limited parental supervision (usually choices are given from the book). Also, in discussing the WeeSing information & listening to the songs ~ you can provide tips (such as, make sure you listen to a song at least 3 times so you can really get it in your head), but then have the expectation that this oldest child can direct his/her younger siblings in a learning activity. Is this something you can see as a possibility with your children?

Just a thought ~ :)

TracyLee01026

Unread post by TracyLee01026 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Thank you ladies, all very good ideas and points. I guess I was thinking, also, that she should be doing art and music that will prepare her for high school level. I looked at the Global Art at the convention and thought it looked more like simple crafts, than an art curriculum. I know ECC is designed to span a wide range of ages and grades 2-6 primarily (I realize there is a 7 and 8th grade supplement, but not for music and art). I'm sure she could teach the younger two and would be willing to do that, but would it benefit her to do supplements in these two area closer to her age since high school is nearly upon us?

Any ideas about what to use that would work well with the ECC theme?
Thank you for your help,
Tracy

courthart246

Unread post by courthart246 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:26 pm

TracyLee01026 wrote:Thank you ladies, all very good ideas and points. I guess I was thinking, also, that she should be doing art and music that will prepare her for high school level. (I realize there is a 7 and 8th grade supplement, but not for music and art). I'm sure she could teach the younger two and would be willing to do that, but would it benefit her to do supplements in these two area closer to her age since high school is nearly upon us?

Any ideas about what to use that would work well with the ECC theme?
Thank you for your help,
Tracy
Just an idea. My boys are not very crafty and did not enjoy the crafts from Global Art, so we went a different route. We got the Usborne Art Treasury. (Make sure that if you look into this book that it is called Usborne Art Treasury, not Usborne The Children's Book of Art.)

We studied an artist from the country we were studying (if the book included it), and then did the project listed along with it. For instance when we studied Russia, we read about Kandinsky and made a Squares with Concentric Circles painting. This book does not have artists from every country, so sometimes we did one from the same continent we were studying.

The art projects are not difficult, but might take on an even neater appearance on your 14 year old's end, since my ds is only 8. The information in this book about the artists is pretty simple, and depending on the artist, you or your child could look up more info at the library or online. However, I know some of these artists did not lead the best of lives, so we were quite pleased with the simplicity of this Usborne book for us. There was Van Gogh, who had a sad end to his life, but the book states the facts simply. I just skipped the last sentence. Anyway, this is just an idea for something different, where your dd could also study artists if Global Art isn't enough.

We added our art projects to our Geography notebook in the continent in which the artist was from. So there wasn't the storage issue of the Global Art project. I do have an up and coming little crafty artist, so maybe we will use Global Art when she does ECC. We'll see.

Also, we did not use the inflatable globe, but greatly enjoyed The Great Animal Search and Origami.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:34 pm

OHHH great idea courtney. I guess we did that too with library books. SOme of that is actually in the TM but we expounded on it a bit whenever there was opportunity. I'm going to take a look at that book for next time around. Sounds like a nice one to have on hand.
Lynnette: Wife and Mother by the will of God.
ECC 07/08 with 9,7, and 2
CTG 08/09 with 10,8, and 3
www.homeschoolblogger.com/lyntley

TracyLee01026

Unread post by TracyLee01026 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:10 pm

I just found a possible resource. It is called Artistic Pursuits--The Elements of Art and Compostiion, Jr. High, Bk. 1. Its emphasis is on art around the world. It is written to the student and requires no teacher prep. time. It comes with fine art prints by the masters and teaches not only art forms and techniqe but also culture, ideas and or/artist that created them. It has a final project. The Old Schoolhouse website gives it a 5 star review and says it is CM friendly. It is a bit pricey--$42.95, but it sounds like it is worth it.

cbollin

Taking the plunge-ECC-??

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:49 am

blessedwith4 wrote:I would like some help from some of you MFW veterans. What do I *need* to buy and what can I do without? For example, for my 13yo ds, who will technically be an 8th grader, do I need to buy a passport and flag stickers for him? Would that be too babyish? I really don't think he would mind having those things but I thought I would ask.
I think the 8th grader should have the passport and have to "keep track" of it as if he were on a plane visiting places. Nothing babyish about these passports that MFW has. They are there to help have fun and introduce the idea of traveling around the world.

Flag stickers are used for learning locations of places as well as part of the passport. I once heard David Hazell, of MFW, saying something like "there are times I wish we'd put on the website: get a flag sticker book for each person in your family who would like one."

So, that'll be your call if he "needs" one or will enjoy it. Even if you have to get some kind of alternative sticker for the passport, you'll need some stickers. Just make it easy on yourself and get the book.

We enjoyed ECC. hope it blesses you as much.

-crystal

cbollin

? about ECC - 6th & 8th

Unread post by cbollin » Sun May 02, 2010 6:58 pm

chatmom wrote:We have not done much Geography - my oldest will be starting 8th grade and my youngest starting 6th grade. Both are very bright, voracious readers - would ECC be a good fit? I am concerned that some of the book choices appear rather "young" for them - or is it easy enough to implement substitutions?

The books that I am concerned about are Maps and Globes, the Illustrated World Atlas, Geography from A to Z and Usborne's Living World Encyclopedia. How have other older children responded - positively or are there other books recommended?
there is plenty of reading via book basket in ECC at a variety of genres and levels. And then the back of the manual has more general reading too.

Wanted to make sure you know about the jr. high resources too:
http://mfwbooks.com/ecc_2nd.htm#supplement

Maps and Globes -- used for first two weeks and is a quick intro into using maps and globes. They might read it very quickly in just a few days. Then read a lot of the book basket books on the topic as well. Then that book is done unless they need time for the info to sink it and look it up again if they get latitude and longitude mixed up.

Illustrated World Atlas -- I think they'll be ok in that one.

Geography from A to Z -- that will help with vocabulary of geography. It's used once a week as a dictionary to learn new vocab and have a picture. I guess they could use a different dictionary and then research for a picture, but for how it is used, I might just use the one in the package. My oldest daughter did ECC in 7th (she did it in 2nd grade too), and the other thing she did was to draw/trace the geography feature and write definition. So she made her own notebook from it. (that's what's done with the book per the manual).

Living World Encyclopedia -- it's a reference book for lots of the geography/science things with biomes and habitats. Not difficult reading -- but again, provide pictures for reference and just enough info to whet the appetite to go read more from book basket, or watch a biome DVD. My oldest didn't mind that book for the few minutes it was needed. Helps with the teaching of facts and providing good quality color pics to see the world.

in other words, my oldest, who reads everything and loves to read read read was fine reading those books as a 7th grader. I remember it seemed to give a nice break in the day when she was otherwise writing country summary sheets (and enjoying World Book on computer), or doing more research for paper, or Apologia jr. high school. So, it balanced and kept some light work in the process too.

mileage will vary of course. That's just how it went for me. It might end up different story in your family.
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: ? about ECC - 6th & 8th

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon May 03, 2010 1:12 pm

I'll probably repeat Crystal's post, but I'm using ECC with an 8th grade boy right now.

Maps & Globes - does look young. However, covers all the basics in an easy-to-understand way. I wasn't sure we'd use it, but I didn't find a better overview. We did "take the lessons further" in some cases, using other books we had around. I think I may have posted some of those things on the ECC Ideas forum.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =50#p58533

Geography from A to Z - that's the other young-looking one. There is a geography vocab resource within the Intermediate/Classroom Atlas (in the ECC package) that you could use, I suppose, or other things out there. And you'll probably get vocab in your Progeny Press Guides, so the geo vocab isn't as essential for older kids. But the fact that MFW schedules the words & correlates them to the biomes being studied is the nice part.

Illustrated World Atlas - definitely not young. In fact, families with young kids may have to just read segments. It covers things from square miles to industries.

Usborne Living World - not really young. I suppose it's not essential for the older student, but it's an enhancement to the biome studies in the ecosystems. It adds a little more about unique animals in certain continents. I think we also used it for making a map of deserts in the world etc.? I could check on that.

Wee Sing - I hear that certain kids find this too young. My ds and I consider this a great resource for listening to native speakers & hearing their fun typical songs. I think it's worth listening to, but you can add more world music if you want (again, I put our ideas on the ECC Ideas forum).
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =25#p58909

Julie

sixtimemom

Re: ? about ECC

Unread post by sixtimemom » Mon May 03, 2010 2:42 pm

We are finishing up ECC this year and I have three using it...[8th, 6th, and 4th grader]

Because they are voracious readers you will be able to fill that need through the book basket. My 8th grader is not a voracious reader so we went lightly but I could have easily went the other direction.

And remember your 8th grader will be doing other science so the Living World Encyclopedia will be a welcomed break...[or it was for my daughter]

Living World and Geography from A to Z are great resources because your child is to draw a picture from these books. The pictures are not too complex which makes it much easier for the child to be able to copy from and then they add the definition or " blurb about the picture". [you can always have them beef it up with more info. if needed but I've found what info. there is has been enough]

So, all in all and trying to answer your questions....I don't believe you need to implement substitutions, however, feel free to add in other books.

One resource I do add in is Uncle Josh's Outline Map Book because I like the kids to outline the country being studied...labeling surrounding water, countries, major cities, rivers, mountains and deserts.
Debbie
Mom to 6
Grandma to 1
Homeschooler for 17 years and this is my 2nd year to use MFW
ECC and AHL 2009/2010
1850 -Exploration, AHL & WHL 2010-2011

cbollin

Hi! Newbie here!

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:36 pm

GiGi wrote:Hi everyone! I'm excited to use ECC next year for my 12ds (7th grade)! I hope we made the right decision as first-time MFWers to use ECC. I'm thinking we can do ECC this year and if it works as well as I'm hoping, to use 1850-Modern Times for 8th grade (which will fill in a history gap for him) and then move into the highschool programs in 9th.

My question is regarding the maturity level of some of the books in ECC. For example,The Great Animal Search seems a little young for a 7th grader. Are there any other books that are really geared toward the lower age range for the program? And for the record, he's my youngest so no littles will join us in our studies nor will any use the program in the future.

Thanks so much~
Angie
Before you order, you might want to call MFW office and see if they still have a package that takes into account when it is the youngest who is in 7th grade using ECC. A few years ago they did and they left out some of the younger books and adjusted the price. They never advertized that online, but would mention it at convention. I don't know if that is still the case or not. But you might want to give them a call and ask about that.

I forget which books they left out in those cases.....

and welcome along!

-crystal

Mexmarr

Re: Hi! Newbie here!

Unread post by Mexmarr » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:47 pm

FWIW, I enjoyed the Great Animal search, lol. It is very interesting.

A 7th grader would likely think it was benath him, if made into a school assignment. But just leave it sitting out somewhere, and they will probably be all over it. :-)
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

Julie in MN

ECC with 8th Grader as only student

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Lisa_Kbrook wrote:I will be only homeschooling one for the first time in 11 years next year. He will be in 8th grade, and I am highly considering using ECC with him. It seems a lot of the resources in the main ECC pack are for younger students. I've actually used many of them through the years:) So my question is this: what do I really need from the main pack for just an 8th grader? Obviously I need the add-on pack for 7th-8th grades, but what from the main?

Lisa
I posted back when it was fresher in my mind. When I read my post, I realize that there's a big difference between an 8th grade boy and an 11th grade boy 8[] Glad I posted back then:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 611#p60668

I think by exploring that thread, you'll find that kids really differ. I think an oldest or only child could be more likely to scoff at "young" things? My ds who used ECC in 8th is the baby of the family and likes it that way :) For instance, he didn't find the music too silly to listen to, although he didn't sing in 8th like he enjoyed in 3rd, and we added more songs from different countries when we could.

Things any 8th grader would use:
Teacher's Manual, 2nd Edition
Parent/Teacher Supplement
Student Sheets
Exploring World Geography
Hero Tales
Window on the World
God Speaks Numanggang
Illustrated World Atlas
Classroom Atlas
Wall Map of the World
Properties of Ecosystems (this adds biomes to an 8th grader's "social studies," not science)
Living World Encyclopedia (this adds biomes to an 8th grader's "social studies," not science)
Kingdom Tales
Christian Heroes: Then and Now - six book set

Things that "look easy"
Maps and Globes (this is young, but efficiently covers basic geography)
A Trip Around the World (these are young, but I think ECC would be lacking without the fascinating facts, words in other languages, & recipes)
Another Trip Around the World (these are young, but I think ECC would be lacking without the fascinating facts, words in other languages, & recipes)
Flags of the World Ultimate Sticker Book (quite a bit of info here, actually)
Passport (fun transition between countries)
Geography from A to Z (geography vocab has useful terms, tho could study vocab in other ways?)
Global Art (many global crafts can even be enjoyed by grown-ups, but interest depends on the child)
Wee Sing Around the World (many do have native speakers to listen to)
Inflatable Globe
The Great Animal Search
Fun with Easy Origami

I think the office may have a standard set for you, if you call them. And hopefully others who are using ECC now can add more,
Julie

Lisa_Kbrook

Re: ECC with 8th Grader as only student

Unread post by Lisa_Kbrook » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks for both your current answer and the previous post. He is on the younger, less mature, end right now and I think he might still be once we get to 8th grade. I will be at the FPEA convention in May and will definitely be visiting the booth to talk to them, and maybe make my mind up about which direction to go. Thanks so much for your insight!

Lisa

momonthemove

Re: ECC with 8th Grader as only student

Unread post by momonthemove » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 pm

I am doing ECC with a 7th grader. He has a 3rd grade brother and a Kindergarten sister.

I like the Trip Around The World and Another Trip Around the World. My son has loved hearing those facts. And, he likes the language pages. I wouldn't skip on these.

In terms of the extension pack, I wouldn't think you have to do that. I know some may disagree. We purchased it and then have not really stayed on top of the extra readings. My son loves to read and has been reading the Rick Riordan series. So, we have not used the pack fully. And, we actually have spent more time on some indepth Language Arts this year.

In terms of making sure he is getting enough out of the country, I pulled up a country report template and he does that for different countries. He also has to look up pictures and we talk about different things from the countries. I also have been focusing on my son leading himself more in his subjects and building those skills. That is in preparation for high school.

As far as the origami....we liked it. We did it as a family for a couple different nights. It was fun and a great way for us to connect.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/