ECC - Scheduling 7th Grader w/ other kids!

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
KimberlyND

ECC - Scheduling 7th Grader w/ other kids!

Unread post by KimberlyND » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:06 am

Scheduling 7th Grader w/ps band & Other Kids!
cdavis762 wrote:I am loving EEC and so are my kids! I am finding myself frustrated though, because we aren't getting done the things that drew me to this curriculum.

My ds12 goes to ps for 2 band periods. I pick him up at 10am every day. While he is gone, I try to get math & ILL done w/ ds9 & dd8. When ds12 gets home, he wants a break, wants a snack, therefore starting a snowball effect on the rest. We have a short break then get to work on the geography, Bible, and whatever else we do together.

Ds12 still has to do his math, science, Applications of Grammar (Johnny Tremain just arrived), and whatever else is on his schedule (it's late!). Before I know it, it's lunchtime. My ds 12 will rush through work if left unattended and make many careless mistakes. I need to be by him as well. We are learning independent work methods!

I know you ladies and gents are full of wisdom. Thanks so much for your time!
I don't know about your other concerns but... could your son have a snack in the car on the way home from band? That time could be his snack and break. I know how they can drag out their snack!! I'm sure you will get some other ideas as well.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:56 am

Carol,

My thought is: if the 12 yo were in school he would NOT get a break after class - he would be heading straight to his next class (guessing 7th grade right?). I think Kimberly's idea of a snack on the way home is an excellent idea.

What about doing Bible, geography and other stuff together in the morning BEFORE he goes to school?

For my family, I'm only "schooling" one, but my 4 year old twin ds are around. So, in the morning we do things that my dd can handle with distractions. During afternoon quiet time/nap time we do math and reading - stuff where my dd needs quiet. We're not doing school all day, but we usually don't get done until 2:30 (sometimes later).

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:11 am

For the past several years, I’ve had to drop off and pick up my youngest at special classes. It interferes with getting work done at home, doesn’t it? I can't imagine trying to do that with a 12 y.o or my 13 y.o right now. ECC at 7th grade level is not a light program.

Some ideas to consider (some are already said) and for you and your husband to talk through together. It's good to evaluate how things are going in the early stages and adjust quickly. So, keep in mind that when you ask strangers on the internet for advice, you might get strange advice. And here is mine.

*Snack and water bottle in the back pack of 12 y.o and have it in the car or in the parking lot while walking from the Band Room to the car. Emphasize to your child that his classmates in Band have to go to their next class and be ready in 5 minutes between the bells (or tones or whatever the school uses). He might think that all the kids do is go to study hall or lunch or something.

*Consider Car Schooling for the ride home --- not sure how long it takes you to get home, but what about getting the Apologia Science course book on audio CD and let the CD read the text while in the car? Perhaps hearing the Johnny Tremain (Progeny Press I guess) on audio CD would be helpful. Check your library. I wouldn't try Applications of Grammar in the car based on my daughter's experiences. We thought it would be quick and easy -- but she needed to concentrate on the rules.

*Have your stuff set up and ready to go as soon as you are home. In other words, when he is leaving the car tell him he is entering Miss Carol’s classroom and needs to be ready. If he stayed at the school where he gets band, his friends would have to be ready for Mr. Smith's math class, or Mrs. Jones' General Science class after leaving Mr. Grant's Band class. Have your husband encourage him in that part if needed.

*Consider making your 7th grader get up ahead of everyone and get something academic done before Band --- those Apologia Science experiments don’t take too long. The lab report takes some time if you are doing those.

*Or could the whole family start the day with the Geography stuff and Bible lessons together and the whole family get something done before 12 y.o goes off to Band Practice.

*Read alouds in the evening.

*Math -- I'd work on something there. But.... don't let him fall too far behind ((hugs))

*Realize that if you are doing ECC with all of the MFW recommendations for 7th grade, it is going to be a 5-6 hour school day for that student to get done with the extra work. That might mean homework and/or Saturday morning to get stuff done since he is taking a 2 period elective each day??? Get a baby sitter on Saturday morning for 7th grader and take the little kids out --- when 12 y.o sees that you are serious that school has to be done, he’ll find a way to get it done properly so he can have fun on Saturdays.

*Is there any way that your child can be in a different band class that meets later in the day and end when the other group school kids are done? Or is it possible that band needs to be dropped this semester? That's a toughie.....

*The Science in ECC is for the elementary age kids. 7th grader can and should quickly read the information. Neither book will take long for a 7th grader to read through. Maybe that would be the car schooling stuff and then you can get it done with the younger kids with the fun stuff (like the books on the eggs, or the radish seeds, or the making of a river).

Just my way more than .02 worth. ((hugs)) and prayers for you as you ask the Lord what changes will work in your family.

-crystal

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 am

You have had some good food for thought.

I will add one very small idea. Do bible as a family the night before and begin the day by going over the verse for the week and prayer before the day gets going. If everyone is at the breakfast table at the same time this would be a good place to do it.

Praying for you and your husband to come up with the best solution for your family in this season.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

cdavis762

Unread post by cdavis762 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:01 pm

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Ds 12 leaves for the school bus at 7:20am, so starting before that is not a realistic option for me. I do need to get the other 2 up by 7am and be ready to start school at 8am at the latest. I know that would help our mornings. Hubby has said he will make sure I am up as well as the kids, lol.

We can't change the class periods be/c the way it is set up, he can take the bus. I won't drive both ways. It's only an 8 minute drive, but I won't do it more than once a day, w/ the price of gas. Plus it is disruptive to the other kids. I have told the teacher if it gets too stressful we will be backing out. I don't want to give up right away though.

We've been trying to do read alouds at night but it doesn't seem to work so well. I will have to try harder.

We do have the Apologa on cd and computer disc and he reads along w/ them. I like the cd be/c we can all listen to it in the car.

Now, ds 12 CAN do his Bible reading at school - he has a 15min period before he is needed in 1st period. I will have him take his Bible w/ him.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
Be blessed,
Carol

God is in control!
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/coveredbygrace

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:17 pm

cdavis762 wrote: he has a 15min period before he is needed in 1st period. I will have him take his Bible w/ him.
Thanks again for your suggestions!
Carol,

still out loud brainstorming....
maybe for variety-- the extra missionary biographies? or book basket or whatever book for literature??? could be read during those 15 minutes from time to time?? I'm just thinking how much I agree with Lucy's suggestion to do Bible as a family even if you have to do the next day's lesson -- do Monday's Bible on Sunday night?

hmmm..... must be other stuff out there too :) maybe the afterschoolers (if we still have any) would have the best helps and hints.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Considering ECC for 7th and 4th graders

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:19 pm

4myboys wrote:I have been considering using MFW and of substituting With Canadian content when the time comes. I've never used a boxed curriculum before, so I have a lot of questions. My boys are 8 (going into 4th) and 12 (going into 7th). I'd really like to hear from people using ECC with 7th and 8th graders.

Do you/did you find the material too easy for the age group? Have you found it necessary to add much to beef up the curriculum? Comments on the grades 7 and 8 extension pack would be appreciated. My 7th grader can be pretty sensitive, so I wonder if they might be a little heavy for him. I only have the two boys and I am able to combine them for almost every subject as they are pretty evenly matched in skills areas (between a 4th and 5th grade level). They are both good readers, it's just a matter of maturity when it comes to selecting reading material. Are there any books/resources that you would skip for these ages? Neither of the boys are big on cut and paste, but hands on activities is an area where we are really lacking and could help us put some new life into our program.

Another big reason I am looking at MFW is that I really need something all laid out for me. I work part time mornings M-F so I try to have the boys do independent work (math, reading, etc.) in the morning while they are here at the office with me. I don't have much extra time for planning, and quite frankly I'm not very good at it. I don't think I will feel the stress of not finishing "on time" . I have no trouble with the idea of dropping or substituting a country if necessary.

Looking ahead to what would follow ECC: assuming we stuck with MFW, would it be possible to skip ancients and start with the second year of high school and bring the ancients back in in 12th? This would allow us to stay in the same rotation. Year 3= RTR with 6th and 9th doing highschool equivalent

I had someone suggest I could start highschool cycle in 8th, but that may be too optimistic for him. And if he did, what would I do with him in 12th? I suppose I could allow an elective or have him study American history that year (we'll be substituting with Canadian history). Thanks again to all!
I think ECC will be a blessing for your kids.

I agree with you that 8th is too soon to jump into MFW high school. 8th is a great year to focus on individual writing needs, to get used to advanced science and math, as well as to expose kids to many interests (try languages, do a shop class, etc.).

As far as keeping the kids together after ECC, I might try to keep them together in electives rather than in core subjects. Or, you can keep the family together by going thru the entire Bible as a family with the first two years of MFW high school. Keeping history topics and English novels on the same topic often involves a lot of mom work, because things don't really line up and something the high schooler read in week 2 might be in week 17 in CTG (just random numbers there). Also, trying to keep together often keeps one or the other kids waiting. I met one family at convention whose oldest was SO excited to leave the family learning and finally go at her appropriate pace.

The good news is that you don't have to decide on that just yet.

As for the 7-8th grade supplement for ECC, I would really encourage you to let your son read about Brother Andrew (Narrow Road), as it is very inspiring. An especially sensitive child might want to skip Peace Child -- especially Part I of that book, describing the native culture, which is quite harsh. You could wait to decide on the other 2 -- none of the 7-8th grade novels are assigned until I think week 9 of ECC, so that gives you a lot of time between now and then, and kids do change quickly. Either way, I'd be sure to read the ECC Deluxe biographies together as a family, and to use the notes in the ECC manual alongside. The first biography is about Cameron Townsend and is very tame, with a long life, but it really gets across a key point in ECC -- the idea (new at the time) that people need the Bible in their "heart language," not just in major languages. Then Nate Saint is next, which is an example of missionaries giving their lives, but Marie's notes in the manual really take you through how God used their sacrifice in amazing ways.

I don't really have a sense of your current 6th grader, but if he has special needs, you might want to pick and choose from the 7-8th grade assignments, so he is sure to get in all the hands-on learning activities, if he learns best from those.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4myboys

Re: Considering ECC for 7th and 4th graders

Unread post by 4myboys » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:39 am

Thanks for your reply, Julie. I see what you are saying about the highschool and elementary programs not really lining up, but I want to avoid a situation where my older son would be doing CTC followed by highschool ancients. We did Egypt the first half of this year, even though he already covered Egypt in 4th grade at public school.

My 12 year old struggles with dysgraphia -- written work is extremely difficult for him, but improving slowly. Orally he does well and he is a good reader, though I feel he is primarily an audio learner. In math he is halfway through MUS Delta, with his 8 year old brother starting the same book next week.

Both boys are pretty much bored with what we are currently doing (as am I), and I take the blame for most of it, but I'm not sure how to get out of this rut. I really think it would be helpful to have it all laid out for me, at least for one year so that I can have a model to build on. Right now I just really feel stressed by the whole trying to make it work and keep track of it all.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:44 pm

As for over-doing Egypt, you definitely have options after ECC. Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head:
1. Ecc and then jump to EX1850 or whatever later year you have done the least
2. Ecc starting now, continuing into next school year, and then picking up CTG but skipping the Egypt part so you might even finish that next year.
3. ECC and CTG, downplaying Egypt a bit, and spending more 8th grade time on getting used to older science/math/grammar, having the older continue with current events from ECC, maybe working hard on writing, doing shop class, etc., so that CTG is not a focus. Some folks end up doing that because it's just better for the other kids in the family to keep the cycle in order. And really, CTG spends a lot of time on the Biblical feasts, spends a week or two on the 10 commandments, and makes fun connections to the Old Testament that you just don't have time for in high school because you're racing through the entire 66 books.

I don't know a lot about dysgraphia, but my youngest son was always "allergic" to the pencil, so he has done tons of things orally and typed almost everything else except his memory verses. He is definitely tuned in to learning orally and we did a ton of audiobooks and hands-on activities over our years with MFW. Those are probably the things he remembers best.

Hope that gives you a little more to go on? Best wishes,
Julie

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:37 pm

I have a 3rd grade son (9) and a 7th grade son (12) doing ECC this year. This is the only thing we do together as the gap is too wide for other subjects. Here are my experiences.

Both of my boys LOVE geography. We stepped it up in places, especially oldest loved it. We learned ALL the countries in Europe. I copied the map and added numbers to it and they learned them all. Had to learn correct spellings as well. In Africa, we learned just what they had listed. That hit us during a rough patch of a month of someone being sick in our house. Now in Asia, we are learning the basic countries and correct spelling. We have Japan starting next week, and my boys have it all down already so we may add in other countries not listed on the geography sheets.

As for science, oldest is doing APOLOGIA General. Younger son is doing the book of animals for the 2/3 supplement. Plus my younger son gets two full months of science on Fridays at a co-op we belong to. So, I am not stressed about it. The science was maybe above a 3rd grader at the beginning.

ANd, my boys have loved the additional worksheets about the countries. During the last 2 weeks, they will get to pick a country and do a research report on it. I didn't have my oldest do that throughout as suggested as he will be doing a bigger project at the end.

Bible we have loved. The read alouds, especially Kingdom Tales is our favorite.

As for supplements for 7/8th grade. We are doing our first literary guide now. I had planned to do it earlier, but life got really crazy for us. So, we are just starting Swiss Family Robinson. I picked that because I thought he would love it. And, we are actually reading it together. I figure this first literary guide would be good to show him how to approach it and he will do his next one this summer on his own.

Extra books, we only had him read Bruchko. It was sensitive at times. He liked it, but he is an avid reader and was reading two of the Rick Riordan series. I decided that was good, it didn't have to match up to our MFW.

For me, one of the best things has really been talking about Windows to the World and the different religions. He has such a good sense of them now and really asks questions and connected dots about the big differences and how some could easily confuse/merge the ideas. We also spent time talking about Iraq and Afghanistan in particular. My brother is a war veteran from the Gulf War (Iraq) and just finished his tour in Afghanistan too. These conversations have been invaluable and really was about following his inquisitive mind.

SInce he is a 7th grader and this is our first year in MFW, I didn't want him to do Ancients next year and then jump back to Ancients his freshman year. I gave him a choice and we are doing 1850s to Modern Times next year. He is very excited. Then, when he is a freshman, he will start Ancients and we will jump to Creation to the Greeks with my younger son and my then 2nd grade daughter. WHile it doesn't all line up perfectly the high school and 5 year rotation, it will keep us somewhat similar at times and that is what I wanted.

If you have any specific questions, I am happy to answer as we are very similar in our ages kids doing ECC and that they are both sets of boys!

Blessings.
Deb
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

4myboys

Unread post by 4myboys » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks Deb,

Yes, our boys are similar ages and sounds like our 12 year older are reading the same two series. I am encouraged by your comments and wonder if you could tell me how long your school day takes and how much your boys can do independently. How much of your week is spent on handicrafts. How much time do you spend peeping for your week/day?

I know a woman using ECC with her 2nd grader this year so I can get a look at the TM and books next week, but 4th and 7th graders are a different story all together.

Tracey

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:37 pm

Make sure you are looking at 2nd edition ECC, if you have a 7th or 8th grader. The 1st edition of ECC did not have an extra grid portion for older kids, so look for that extra few bars of a grid on the right-hand page.
Julie

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:36 pm

1. Length of school day?

Bible, geography and read aloud is about 1 1/2-2 hours. Depends how indepth we get with our discussions. Younger son takes about 4 - 4 1/2 hours a day. Oldest is about 6- 6 1/2 hours total. Of course, it depends on how focused they are and if they want to be pokey. Some days it is a lot of motivating to keep them moving.

2. How much of week is on handicrafts?

Well, we may be missing a bunch of the fun that some people just love about ECC. We have done only a few of the "handicrafts". My younger son gets art through a co-op and I feel that is where the greater value is for him. Oldest is doing time learning to use a video editing software. I am not sure my oldest would like all of that. He is creative, but would consider some of that busy work. We do spend time looking up pictures and different things about the countries we are studying. They like that.

3. How much can your boys do independently?

They do their math independently. Next year older will do a lot of science independently. DH will do some of the labs with son. I don't mind doing them, but DH is really excited about that. LOL Younger can be given instructions and let go on most subjects. Older too, and I spend less time giving instructions. I also do Spanish with oldest and that takes about 20 minutes a day. It is an intro course that I am comfortable teaching. Trying to find the right fit. I am much more of a traditional textbook person for foreign language.

4. How much time do you spend prepping for your week/day?

I spend about 30 minutes on Sunday prepping just to get myself focused. I spend about 5 minutes before we meet at the table to get everything out and pulled together.

Hope this helps.
Deb
Deb

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:42 pm

4myboys wrote:Wow! 6 1/2 hours for your oldest is longer than PS! I won't (and can't) do more than 4 hours a day. Perhaps you are counting lunch and other breaks? That makes more sense.
That does include our breaks I guess. LOL

Here is a better breakdown....the time is at the highest estimate for the oldest
Math - 30-45 minutes
Reading Independently - 30 minutes (usually does this before bed)
Literature Book/Guide - 40 minutes
Essentials in Writing - 30-1 hr (depends if we are doing more writing, that increases time)
Apologia General Science - 45 min
Spanish - 25 min
MFW - 1 - 1 1/2 hr

It works out to about 5-5 1/2 hours. Now sometimes it would go quicker if I didn't have a lot of stop and go between assisting and refocusing the other 2. If I don't count his independent reading that put us between 4 1/2-5 hours.

The 3rd grader is doing more time right now because he is doing cursive. And, boy he is very precise and slow to make it look great. Cursive takes 45 minutes for him and it isn't that much writing. LOL

I would love 4 hours for him, but I am not sure that is reasonable as we hit jr high/high school with an increase in work load.
Deb

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:09 pm

4myboys wrote:Wow! 6 1/2 hours for your oldest is longer than PS! I won't (and can't) do more than 4 hours a day. Perhaps you are counting lunch and other breaks? That
By 7th grade or 8th at the latest, public schooled kids are often doing things outside of the normal 6 hours + lunch, such as math problems, reading chapters, writing papers, or prepping for tests. But the teacher of course doesn't need to be engaged in teaching during those extra hours, other than helping out on occasion or the parent stepping in to help out.

MFW does suggest you plan on an extra 1-1.5 hours per day for your older kids:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 820#p92820

The extra time will be taken up by the 7-8th grade science, grammar, literature studies, reading, and math, as well as possible history/geography (country reports, current events, etc.).

Hope that helps you see what's ahead,
Julie

4myboys

Unread post by 4myboys » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks again, ladies.

I see your point about doing more as they get older, especailly reading, and therefore it taking longer for them to complete independent work. I can live with that, but I can rarely give more than 2-2.5 hours of my own time without all of us being done in. By 3 or 3:30 my kids are no longer able to give the attention needed, and I'm out of energy myself. They do what they can independently in the mornings at the office. As they get more independent they'll be able to tackle more in the mornings, but right now my ADHD child in particular doesn't get a whole lot accomplished in the morningbecause I am not able to give him my undivided attention. I would love to be able to change our schedule, but this is what I have to work with right now, and I don't see anything changing in the near future. I am considering starting to school year round for this reason, but that's such a hard thing to do, especially in the summer time when their friends are all off for the summer. We don't live in a bubble -- most of their friends are PS kids from our church. The few other homeschoolers in the area are grade 3 and under, so that's a bit of drag for my extremely social 12 year old.

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 pm

We school year round, even in the summer. In the summer we drop to math, reading and an elective....oldest will continue with Spanish and middle will do typing. This allows us to not have a drop off in math skills. The kids know as soon as they get their stuff done, we will head to the pool. When it gets really, really hot in August, we tend to play outside in the morning some and then start school.

And, we begin our new year July 8 after 4th of July. We always end up taking 1 week off in July and 1 off in August for a week long soccer clinic each month. And, we usually take 2 weeks off in September for vacation. This year we may not be going on a big vacation so it will just be a week.

My boys are into soccer and so our months of September and October and again March - mid-May are just CRAZY! That was one of my reasons for schooling in the summer and starting in July. It allows us to stockpile some extra days in for when our schedule is crazy or life just happens and we need a break.
Deb

4myboys

Unread post by 4myboys » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Deb,

I certainly understand. I think if we kept independent subjects going through the summer (they have to come with me to the office anyway, so they can use at least half that time for math, reading, copy work and typing -- skills that can drop off if not practiced regularly) that would allow us to take some pressure off ourselves in those areas the rest of the year.

I think it is interesting that your 12 year old is interested in video editing. My husband works as a technical producer in the broadcast television field. Our oldest is really interested in it as well and dad has taught him a bit of editing. Our son is currently the audio visual tech for the children's church program and has been teaching two of his friends (with some help from dad) to operate the equipment.

It's helpful to know that your boys are not crafty, either. Unless it's a cartoon my youngest doesn't even want to draw most of the time. He does sometimes like to color, though he prefers a choice of picture. He does like to experiment with paint, but that is far more about the process than the end result. It's a sensory thing, I think. Older will sometimes engage in making models, wood crafts or Lego-type building, but most artsy-crafts type stuff would bore him silly.

Tracey

4myboys

Too use ECC or not to use ECC, that is the question...

Unread post by 4myboys » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions on the topic of using ECC with our upcoming 7th and 4th graders. I like what I'm seeing and reading so far. Now I'm wondering how easy it is to adapt to our schedule.

I see that there are countries scheduled for 34 weeks with room in week 35 and 36 to choose another country. Does that mean the schedule only lasts 34 weeks, or are other things scheduled in there? Is there any room built in for catch up through the year? Is it possible to drop a country if you are getting behind? Also, is it easy to rearrange the daily schedule to group all independent subjects and reading together? I need the boys to be able to work independently in the mornings and save family work for the afternoon. I also need to be able to accomplish that family work in 2-2.5 hours maximum, though that doesn't give me any time for guided work with my boys, so really it needs to be a maximum of 1.5 hours of family work. I understand Friday schedules are usually lighter - how much lighter?

I also am trying to decide which of the two kits to order. Is there anything my 4th grader would be too old for and therefore wouldn't need?

DS4home

Re: Too use ECC or not to use ECC, that is the question...

Unread post by DS4home » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:24 pm

I'll try to answer some of your questions.
Yes, for the most part, the schedule goes for 34 weeks. If I remember right, I think those last 2 weeks might have things like review the vocab from the year, etc.., but no new info is taught.
If you take a look at the sample online it shows week 9. What you see on that Friday is what most all Fridays will look like during the year, a little Bible, vocab, and letter writing. Oh yea, except for the cooking project scheduled at the end of each country unit on Fridays. Cooking can easily happen over the weekend if that works better! So I use those Fridays for any catching up that needs to happen in geography or science.
I did not drop any of the countries completely when I felt behind, but I did shorten a couple of them into only a week.

I always schedule their independent subjects together. I make a checkoff sheet for each kid with their individual subjects listed out. They check it off when they finish the work for each line item. And they know we will have group stuff to do on top of that. It's a system that has always worked for us.

As far as which kit to order, I would lean toward the delux simply because the read alouds are so much a part of what makes ECC so great (in my opinion) :) We didn't use the globe much. The origami is only used during the Japan unit, not sure how artsy your boys like to get, but it is fun for all ages. And all my kids enjoyed looking through the Great Animal Search, it was a challenge to find them all!

It has been a couple of years since we did ECC, but those were the thoughts I had off the top of my head when reading your post. Hope that sparks some conversation for you.

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

4myboys

Unread post by 4myboys » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks for the reply, Dawn. The upcoming year is going to be very expensive for us with Apologia General Science and [math] and a language arts program (not sure which one yet) and starting French (not sure yet for that either) so adding to that an ECC package (deluxe or not) with the grade 7 and 8 extension pack is frightening, so I am really needing to make some decisions and order what I can early so as to manage the cost better.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Agreeing with Dawn that there are 2 completely free weeks at the end of ECC, and there are light Fridays the rest of the weeks (except the first 4-5 weeks of the year). We attended co-op once a week the first time we went through ECC and that wasn't a problem. And like Dawn, many families end up condensing a country or two along the way. The continents that only have one country studied in-depth often have 3 weeks for that country; or, the continents with several countries studied in-depth often have more time spent on one continent.

I can't think of anything "too young" for a 4th grader, except the Complete Book of Animals which is for grades 1-3. I wouldn't get an extra Geography book for the 4th grader; that will be mostly for the 7th grader and you can make copies as needed for the younger one.

It's hard to make a recommendation on what to cut because each family is so different. If you're really in a pinch, there are a couple of things that are only used a week or so (origami, Numanggang, Maps & Globes), and there might be a globe or wall map at your house already (we LOVE the placemat sized one best, anyways). You could probably get only parts of the 7-8th set and the Deluxe set. Our favorites of those two sets were the Christian Heroes set and the Narrow Road, plus I think you'll need the book on Writing a Country Report. We also loved Kingdom Tales, but if time and money are tight, that could be saved for next year. I would try to read it as a family before high school, if you possibly can.

Another idea is that some of the fun things could be Christmas gifts from grandparents or something? (Speaking as a grandma, I love that idea!)

The good thing is that most of your math and science and really most of what you get at this point will be re-usable for your youngest, or of course resalable. Very few MFW materials are consumable or "used up."
HTH,
Julie