Science - Apologia General specific lessons, labs, supplies

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
s_duguid

Re: General Science supplies

Unread post by s_duguid » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Make sure to pick up pure iodine. I had trouble finding it a couple of years ago and could only find povidone-iodine solution. Experiment didn't work.

Depending how much time I have, sometimes it's worth just ordering the few hard to find items from Home Science Tools website. The convenience of ordering from home is valuable in saving me hunting from store to store and spending gas money. This website also has a kit for Apologia General Science; they have a document listing what is included in the kit. Then I place an order a la carte for the hard to find items.
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

Winkie

Unread post by Winkie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks for the tips, Sue!

Okay, we've got driveway rocks. I was thinking limestone was something special. Obviously I haven't looked at the lessons closely.
Thanks so much!
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:34 am

s_duguid wrote:Welcome, Wendy!
I was looking over the supply list and kit on the aforementioned website, and they are selling fossiliferous limestone. Anyone know why I should order this variety vs. finding limestone from my driveway?
I will take a long shot guess here... although I've ordered from HST, I haven't ordered that kit. I looked on the details of the kit list (also shows up as packing list when you get the box)

in the kit, they have regular "pebbles" and gravel for use with modules 1, 2 and 6.
For module 6, they list ht fossiliferous limestone.

For the experiments in module 6, it doesn't have to be that kind and roadway gravel works great for the experiment. But module 6 begins a lot of geology so it might just be cool to have it while reading the module. I know we had something around here with fossil in it, and it was just cool to look at.

-crystal

Winkie

Unread post by Winkie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:09 pm

Just to report on my successes: At Wal-Mart I found alum with the spices - I also checked with the canning jars but it wasn't there. They also had plaster of Paris in the crafts aisle. But they only had povidone-iodine, so I got pure iodine at Walgreens. I had trouble finding a piece of cork which is needed for the very first experiment, but finally got that at a craft store.
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

TriciaMR

Apologia Gen Sci Question? Experiment 6.1

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:31 pm

rebeccal2002 wrote:Hi, we are having trouble getting crystals to form in our glass. We think we did the experiment right w/ the hot water and allum and the jar has been sitting with the string in it overnight (at least 12 hours). No crytals. Any advice?

Thanks.
Rebecca
Rebecca,

We ended up using almost a whole can of alum for that experiment. It seemed to take forever to get to the point where we could tell it wasn't completely dissolving. I would give it another couple of days of evaporation. Maybe it's really humid where you are and taking longer for the water to evaporate?
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: Apologia Gen Sci Question? Experiment 6.1

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:25 pm

I can't remember that far back as to whether we did it or not.

But we have grown crystals very successfully using Borax (in the laundry aisle) - such great crystals that we did it every winter for a while, and got a snowflake plus the surrounding jar just brimming with crystals within about one night in our dry winter climate:
http://britton.disted.camosun.bc.ca/sno ... flake.html

Not sure how alum compares to borax, or if the chemistry lesson would be the same?
There's info on Borax here: http://chemistry.about.com/od/molecules ... -Borax.htm
And Alum here: http://chemistry.about.com/od/molecules ... s-Alum.htm

More posts on that from CTG:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 846#p61846
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

rebeccal2002

Re: Apologia Gen Sci Question? Experiment 6.1

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Ah, we will give it a few more days then, (we only used two tablespoons) and then stopped because the water was cloudy. We'll try Borax if that doesn't produce any crystals. :)

Thank you for the tips. We are moving on with the other experiments!

Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!

TriciaMR

Apologia Gen Sci ?, Lab 6.4, chemical weathering

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 pm

asheslawson wrote:In lab 6.4 I have completed through step 4, let the limestone soak overnight in the glass of vinegar.

Then it says to place the steel wool in a bowl & pour vinegar over the steel wool, turning it a few times this evening.

Question: Does the vinegar I pour over the steel wool need to be fresh vinegar OR do I use some of the vinegar from the glass soaking with the limestone rock in it? I know at least some vinegar should remain in the glass because tomorrow we need to view the rock & swirl the vinegar around it to view the sediments - but since the instructions don't say specifically to pour the vinegar FROM the glass with the limestone, I THINK the instructions want us to use FRESH VINEGAR for the steel wool & view both after they have soaked overnight one more time.????? Anybody recall this one?
We used fresh for both.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

asheslawson

Re: Apologia Gen Sci ?, Lab 6.4, chemical weathering

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks Tricia! That is what I was thinking it sounded like, but after re-reading, I kept thinking that maybe 'the' vinegar referrred to the the vinegar previously used the day before! I always over-think things!! :-)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/