ECC - Current Events

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
cbollin

ECC - Current Events

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:03 pm

wayouteast5 wrote:Hi ya’ll,
We are excited to start ECC in a couple weeks! I am a mom to 3 dear sons, and wife to my best friend for 19 years. This will be year 3 for home schooling. I’m getting my things together to start the last week in July. I do have a question about the 7th, 8th extension. How important is the Top Story? Does anyone know how expensive it is? I’m sure I will have more questions as time goes on! :)
Thanks so much!!
Welcome along!

My oldest has enjoyed getting Top Story while she was in jr. high. She is liking World Magazine now in high school. How important? It provides current events and tries to do so from a gentle and Christian perspective. So if you have ways to do that to learn current events, then, it doesn't have to be duplicated.

Links to information about cost and subscriptions can be found on mfw's home page.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: New and Intro

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:14 am

wayouteast5 wrote:How important is the Top Story? Does anyone know how expensive it is? I’m sure I will have more questions as time goes on! :)
Thanks so much!!
Welcome!

Our family is another fan of using Top Story in junior high. I like exposing them to current events. One week, I tried using a regular newspaper for current events & my son found it to be very depressing. He's a happy-go-lucky way-youngest child, though.

Crystal already gave the link & info on cost.

I will say that we got a subscription back around 4th grade and it took us something like 3 years to read that one year's worth. We were doing CTG & up, which were unrelated to current events, but we used the magazine for book basket etc. and sometimes were surprised by a connection to what we were studying. Recently, God's World News publishes fewer issues each year, but each issue is longer. So if your kids are on the younger end, then it's possible your one subscription might be read slowly over two years -- especially if you use the online links and the teacher Q&A part, although those aren't really necessary. If you do spread it out, you lose some of the "current" part, such as reading about Haiti right after the destruction, but you can always pull it out to read right away. Anyways, just another way of stretching the dollar :o)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:30 am

Just wanted to pop in and say that my 4 oldest get GWN, each separate grade level, and devour them as soon as we get them. They are well worth the money, IMO.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:15 pm

my dd gets God's World News "Taking Off" for 2nd & 3rd graders and really enjoys it. She really enjoys getting mail! :-) She reads the newsletter all the way through and is excited to tell me all about it. I'm sure that we'll just keep continuing to get GWN and change levels as she gets older.
2016/17: AHL
completed: MFWK, MFW1, ADV, ECC (twice), CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850MOD

Amy C.

Current Events in your Homeschool

Unread post by Amy C. » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:35 am

Kelly1730 wrote:I am planning on using God's World magazine as part of our current events focus for 7th grade. Just wondering how others implement this in their home? I want to be purposeful about it, as I know, at least for us, this kind of thing can get overlooked on my schedule.

Do you assign kids topics to talk about at dinner? Do you have them write on current events as well as read about them? Just trying to figure how this will work for us, thanks!
Hi, Kelly.

At our house, the magazine would come in the mail. The older two boys would "fight" (not literally blows) over who got it first. They would devour every article and then want to share many of them, including the cartoons, with me or their father or both. We didn't have to purposefully schedule it in. :-)

We did not have them write about anything they learned. For us, at least, that would have zapped the appeal of it for them. I have boys. While they love to read, writing is not as well loved by them. I saw it as an extra, fun, but informative tool.

Others may have a different experience, but I wanted to respond to your post since you had bumped it to get a reply.

Amy C.

Julie in MN

Re: Current Events in your Homeschool

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:11 am

We used the suggestions in ECC for making current events pages in the notebook. I printed a little map at the top of some blank pages. I had my son highlight the country being talked about and attach the article.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:43 am

Thank you for your replies. I'm looking forward to adding this into our day, I think my boys will really enjoy it also.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi Kelly! We've used God's World News for current events since my oldest dd (an 8th grader next year) was in kindergarten. When my kids were younger, I would read articles from the magazine with them and we would discuss them.

As they've gotten older, each girl reads her magazine on her own and then tells me what she read about that day. I know that when I read the newspaper or World magazine, I choose articles that are of interest to me. I like to give my girls some freedom in current events. They can choose articles that are of interest to them and read them on their own. Then, they get practice in narration when they tell me, in their own words, what they read about that day.

We do current events one day a week. We use GWN as our book basket reading for that day. I ask my girls to read 2 pages that one day each week and then tell me about what they've read. This has worked well for us for the past couple of years.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy