Math - Continue Drill in 7-8th?

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
TriciaMR

Math - Continue Drill in 7-8th?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:02 pm

Melissa wrote:Hi! I'm a homeschool newbie and will be starting after Labor Day with my four children (three older in ECC and youngest in K). Thankfully there are the lesson plans in the manual, so that is helping me. I'm interested to know what type of Drill Activities I should be doing for my oldest (a 7th grader). Do you skip that when they are older? She doesn't need to work on her math facts any longer, so I'm assuming I omit that for her. Thanks for any info! :)

Melissa
Some things you might consider...

fractions (fractions to decimal, decimal to factions, equivalent fractions, lowest common denominator)
percentages

You could go to the Quarter Mile Math website and see what types of drill they have in their highest level and see if that spawns any more ideas for you.

And, maybe typing drill (I know, not math - but it might be something you want to throw in there).

Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:03 am by TriciaMR
I'll be doing them as long as my kids need them. My oldest is dyslexic, so memorizing math facts just takes longer. She's good with Addition, getting close with Multiplication, but I'm not sure she'll ever have Subtraction and Division down. Not her favorite thing, but it is something she can do independently while I'm working with my younger ones.

I think if they have those down, then you might look at fraction-decimal equivalents - it sure is handy knowing 1/2 = .5 just off the top of your head. If you've not had them work on typing/keyboarding, then you might throw that in, instead of math drill.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

doubleportion

Re: Newbie with a Math Drill Question

Unread post by doubleportion » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:01 am

I only have a 4th grader. But we drill multiplication, subtraction & addition. I just rotate them everyday. When we started really working on multiplication, then I had her do mostly multiplication drill every day over the summer. Down the road we will add in division. I use mathfactcafe for free printable drill sheets. I print out the answer keys too and she checks her own work. My dd uses homemade flashcards & Math Raps on tape as well. (She is an auditory learner.) We have in the past used Math Wrap Ups and Quarter Mile Math but they didn't seem to work well for her learning style.

Edie

Julie in MN

Re: Newbie with a Math Drill Question

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:38 am

If your child has mastered basic math facts, then drill isn't strictly necessary. Often the actual math lessons start to get longer and the time you used to have for drill gets absorbed into lesson time.

However, I agree with Trish and chose to drill fractions last year, in 8th grade. I wanted my ds to get to a point where he didn't have to think about the steps for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing fractions, and even get some of them memorized. I felt the time spent would reap rewards in higher math.

The other thing I tried to do in 7th/8th is use that short "drill time" just for exposure to math in various contexts -- continuing Singapore word problems, math games including on the computer, measuring things, bank account info, even math literature. Last year I found a "math team" and that was a great hour spent each week.

But again, the lessons get longer, especially when you get to Algebra. So extra drill time in math means something else might need to be scaled back. I have to keep reciting this to myself so I don't just keep doing more-more-more.

Julie
More ideas for drill:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1141
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8429
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7360
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

Math Troubles

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:40 am

ChristyH wrote:My dd, who is 13, has been having trouble with math for a long time now. We have been in Saxon 7/6 for a year and a half. We have the DIVE cd for it and use it.

When any of my children get more then 6 wrong on a lesson of mixed practice I have them do it over again. Many of the mistakes are attention to detail. I usually go over all missed problems with them and go over concepts several times if needed. She has no known learning disabilities. Almost every lesson she has to repeat because of so many mistakes. I wouldn't advance her in the math but she can pass all of the tests with 3 or less which is my requirement.

I am not sure what to do. I am thinking about getting some of the Keys To workbook series and focusing on certian skills. Other then that I am at a loss. Any ideas? I am starting to worry. :~
Hi Christy,
Math struggles can be so many things. Just from the little you shared, I might look at having her do basic math drill on the side for 15 minutes a day. I had my 7th grader do fractions drill all that year.

Another method used by a math guy, Callahan, is to circle any wrong answers and hand it back to the student to correct, without help, and then give back half credit for any she really knew and was able to fix.
ChristyH wrote:A lot of times I won't go over the math with her or my boys and have them do it again and most of the time they get less wrong. I have told them if they have trouble to look at the little number in brackets next to the problem and go revisit that lesson to refresh their memory on that concept. All of them do the facts practice part everyday.

Is it just an age thing or maturity?
You know, I think one of the challenges of teaching math is that they are *always* at the edge of their maturity level. I've heard the ancients didn't teach much math to children, as the felt it was for an adult brain. Not very encouraging this morning, eh?! Time is our best friend :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs