Ideas for Spring Feasts & Holy Days in CTG

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Ideas for Spring Feasts & Holy Days in CTG

Unread post by Marie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:22 pm

Ideas for Spring Feasts & Holy Days:
Passover, Counting the Omer, & Shavuoth/Feast of Weeks

sewardmom

Passover Celebration

Unread post by sewardmom » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:10 pm

We just celebrated Passover (not in line with the Jewish Calendar, but this time worked for us).

The night before Passover activity was great fun. Instead of hiding real bread my dc cut out small pieces of bread from construction paper and drew on it to make it look more authentic. I hid those and my husband used a small flashlight for a couple of reasons 1 - my dc have asthma and a flame has caused them problems before, 2- they were so excited that I expect if my husband was carrying a lit candle it would have gotten knocked around a bit which might have spoiled 'the mood'.

We also enjoyed the Passover meal celebration. My dc made homemade matzho from a recipe I found on the internet. We didn't leave a place for Elijah at the table because the Messiah has already come. My heart was so sad when I thought about Jews still practicing Passover today and still waiting for the Messiah.

Instead of a real bone, my dd made one that sat on the seder plate.

Although I didn't make all the recipes in Biblical Feasts, I made the diced apple dish. I thought it was yummy.

We used small glass for the grape juice, but I am thinking that really small glasses (shot glass size) might have been more appropriate. That was a lot a grape juice.....

It was a worthwhile experience for us.

~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

Julie in MN

Passover on Video

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:03 am

There are lots of opportunities to experience a passover by watching a video. Some might be found at your library or Netflix. Others must be ordered from Jewish websites etc.

Messianic/Christian videos:

(1) The Passover Connection, Messiah's Last Seder, by Rabbi Barry Rubin
This is kinda like watching a home movie of a Messianic Jewish extended family gathering around the table, kids and all. Passover is very much about explaining the meaning of each tradition, so you'll understand each step.

(2) Christ in the Passover, by David Brickner
This is an enthusiastic speaker performing the passover in front of an audience. He shares connections he sees to Christ.
NOTE: Melanie in GA shared that you can now watch this online at
http://www.jewsforjesus.org/programs/cip

(3) The True Easter Story, The Promise Kept, by Ray Vander Laan
This is New Testament, of course, but there are tons of cross-references to Passover and really to all of the spring feasts. It covers not only how the feast details related to the events in Jesus' life, but also what the feasts meant to the Old Testament patriarchs. (At the beginning, it covers Abraham & God's promise; end of 1st segment is Resurrection/the morning that begins the Feast of First Fruits; start of 2nd segment has Palm Sunday/day of journeying to Jerusalem & day of choosing the Passover lamb; etc.). The subtitle is, "The Promise Kept." Lots of history, more for adults.

(4) There are several others at SingNLearn which I haven't seen, but I have used their Kingdom Songs & that was good, so I expect their other choices would be as well.

Jewish videos:

(1) A Passover Seder, by Elie Wiesel (well-known author, concentration camp survivor)
This is a video for Jewish kids, with actors portraying a family's seder, and some animation added in. Again, explaining every step is very much a part of the Passover feast, so the children are asking lots of questions as they help set up, etc., & the adults are explaining everything fully.

(2) A Rugrats Passover, Let My Babies Go! by Nickelodeon
This is a "holiday cartoon" along the line's of Charlie Brown's Christmas or something. It's about the original Passover in Egypt, explained by a New York Jewish type of cartoon grandpa, & the rugrats (in diapers) go in & out of the story.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

help-I can't find the haggadah

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:48 pm

my3boys wrote:In both my IG and in the Celebrating Biblical Feasts book it says to go to bethanyhouse.com and search for 'the haggadah for christians'. These are pages that are supposed to printed for each person to have at the passover meal, but I can't find them anywhere. I guess I could try to copy it out of the book or retype it - but it would be nicer if I could find the pages that are already done for me. Maybe they don't exist anymore?
I went to bethanyhouse publishers website
and then
search on author
zimmerman, martha
click on her book
on the left side was a place that had a click point for the seder pages
http://bakerpublishinggroup.com/books/c ... sts/262651

It was not easy to find from their search engine via the terms "haggadah" so I did it that way.

but there's the link and the script...

Coo! my teacher's manual didn't have that. nor did the old book. Thanks :)

-crystal

sojen

Re: help-I can't find the haggadah

Unread post by sojen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:18 pm

Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

cbollin

Re: Ideas for Spring Feasts & Holy Days in CTG

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:47 pm

One of the things in the spring feasts is Shavuoth (day of pentecost). The ctg manual says "think how your family will celebrate this" and then it says to read pages in the Feasts book.

Well, the more that we learned about Shavuoth, we decided on something we wanted to do. Shavuoth is a festival of first fruits. And it is a time of celebrating receiving God's Word. So, we went back to Acts 2 (day of pentecost) and thought "oh yeah... they got God's Word in their language and really celebrated wow! Hey, maybe our family can help get some Bibles to people in their heart language as a way of celebrating Shavuot instead of staying up all night." LOL

so.. how to do that?
God's Word for the Nations is the missions fund of My Father's Word. It is all about Bible translation.

My family and I would like to invite anyone else who is interested to consider either a donation to GWN, or do something fancy like raising funds or a garage sale or whatever else. I know in other seasons, some of us on this board have done garage sales, spring/fall flower sales, Read A Thons, etc. So for some of us this is just part of being here on this forum. For others, this might seem like a new idea to have an internet group fund raiser for Bible translation.

I contacted God's Word for the Nations this morning and they sent me a packet of about 22 or so "greatest needs in 2010" project list. My heart aches to help them all. I can't even begin to select one that our group could help with. Several of those sheets have my eyes filled with tears. I know that at least 2 of them have some family connection in my husbands' family. wow.... So, do I pick a project, or just say "greatest needs?"

If you want to participate
well... easiest thing is to link to the GWN page of MFW's site

(update in 2011.. try this link )
http://www.gwftn.org/#projects

let me know here or in PM or email if you need more help on some of this, or if you have questions about GWN and if they are doing the right stuff with our money.... I have stories so you don't have to doubt.

or you can call GWN directly --- 573 426 3621

those in ECC -- you have many books, stories, etc. about Bible translation and missions. CTG -- honestly, this is the first time I've heard anyone make the missions connection.... RTR - we learn about Bible translation. EX1850/1850MOD --- it's in there.....

Thank you David and Marie -- 7 years ago, I didn't know anything about all of this. We're blessed to be part of it.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TriciaMR

Passover

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:11 pm

We did "Passover Light" :)

Because of the young age of my little ones (and bedtimes, etc.)...

We started with a regular meal (baked chicken, veggies, rice pilaf).

Then, for our plate, we had a paper towel tube taped and curved into our "shank bone." I did hard boil an egg. Then we used parsley, salt water, and I just ran some horseradish root through the food processor. Oh, I made the charoseth, too. I also bought Matzo Ball Soup mix and made the soup for eating during the "meal" portion of the ceremony.

My dh was kind enough to take the leader role. We read through *most* of it. We drank the grape juice, hid the middle piece of matzo, ate matzo (the kids did like it), ate the Matzo Ball soup (boys didn't, but my dd and dh and I did), and enjoyed it. We made a Matzo sandwich as recommended by the book, and didn't over do it. (We found the horseradish had "bite" but it didn't last long, like chili or salsa does.) It was long for the boys, and they were quite antsy towards the last 20 minutes.

I wrote about it at my blog: http://school4us-school4us.blogspot.com/

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

s_duguid

Re: Passover

Unread post by s_duguid » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:45 pm

We did the seder plate with a shank bone image printed off the internet. I used prepared horseradish. The parsley in salt water was too strong of a taste for my daughter as well as the "sandwich." I especially loved the charoseth. We ate matzo, matzo ball soup, sparkling grape juice, and Kosher jell rings.

We did the hand washings, hallels, afikomen, readings, etc. just shortened a bit. Still a fairly long event. Oh, we also dipped our pinky finger in the grape juice in the retelling of the 10 plagues, one drip for each plague. We read about this in our book basket books and although it wasn't written in the Haggadah, I added it because my daughter was really looking forward to this.

Although my daughter didn't care for the food that much, she told me afterward that it still was a special, meaningful, and memorable activity. That's all I wanted, plus making the connection of Jesus redeeming us from our slavery to sin and Him being THE Passover Lamb.

Praise the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, praise His holy name.
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

Julie in MN

Counting the Omer

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:25 pm

s_duguid wrote:This will be a little inconvenient for us since we will be traveling to different colleges for my oldest next week. I'm hoping that the gluing of the barley can wait until we get back and that I can at least read the various Bible passages while "on the road."
We had fun waking everyone up by blowing over a glass coke bottle (sounds like a shofar) and making the announcement. You could do that on the road :)

Any of the days we missed, we just caught up with the next time we had the chance to do the readings and glue on the grains.
Julie

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:49 pm

(1) Game
I thought the old game "Pit" was perfect for Counting the Omer. The game has cards for barley, wheat, etc. It could also be one of the activities "to keep awake all night" for Pentecost.

(2) Notebooking the feasts
I had my son make a notebook page for each feast to put in his notebook. We also added photos, programs from messianic services we attended, and even some of the flattened decorations he made and the Omer calendar with the grains of barley glued onto it! When he asked how to describe it all in words, I typed up some little questions and he answered them briefly. Then he added Google Images (postage stamp sized pictures), decorative fonts, different colors of print, a few stickers, etc. It really wasn't much, but enough to remember and sweet to look back on. I probably skipped Writing Strands or something that day. Here is an outline of his pages. Then I put all of his feast pages in his notebook near the "Jewish Calendar" page.

P.S. I always like giving credit where credit is due, and I vaguely remember getting a few CTG ideas from Heart of Wisdom's big book, A Family Guide to the Biblical Holidays. Not sure if this was based on any of those ideas?

PASSOVER - The month of Nisan, day 14
Some of the other names for this feast are...
The month of this feast for 2006 is...
Some of the reasons this feast is celebrated are...
The sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and feelings of this feast are...
The things used to celebrate this feast include...
The meaning of this feast to Christians is...
The meaning of this feast to Jews is..
The meaning of this feast to me is...

COUNTING THE OMER - The months of Nisan, Iyar, and Siven
Some of the other names for this feast are...

SHAVUOTH / PENTECOST - The month of Sivan, day 6
Some of the names for this feast are...
The sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and feelings of this feast are...

s_duguid

Passover Celebrations in CTG

Unread post by s_duguid » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:51 pm

705emily wrote:In a few week we will be getting ready to celebrate the Passover in CTG. I'm just wondering if any of you would mind sharing what you did. Did you follow the book exactly?? The recipes?? Did you do all the readings? I've read the book and I'm excited to start planning our seder--just thought it would be fun to see what others have done! :)
Here's what we did last year:

We celebrated during lunch time. I wrote/condensed the Haggadah and made two copies so my daughter could follow along and do the reader responses. (Still was pretty lengthy.)

We did the foot washing, lit the candles, ate matzo bread, hid the afikoman. Had Matzo ball soup for lunch. The seder plate had boiled eggs, parsley, salt water, horseradish, apple/cinnamon mixture, and picture of lamb bone. Drank sparkling grape juice.

We sat on the floor. Used our good china.

seder photo.jpg
seder photo.jpg (43.41 KiB) Viewed 12096 times
seder 2.jpg
seder 2.jpg (47 KiB) Viewed 12096 times

TriciaMR

Re: Passover Celebrations in CTG

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Emily,

If you check my blog (in my signature below) and on the right-hand side, click on "CTG" and then look for Passover week you can find out what we did. My dd and I had the opportunity to go to a mini-passover put on by a Messianic Jewish family. We didn't do the meal (the kids probably wouldn't have eaten it), but we did do Matzo ball soup (and still do, especially when someone is sick!), and the plate with all the symbolic foods.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

s_duguid

Passover - CTG Anyone celebrating it?

Unread post by s_duguid » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:57 pm

rebeccal2002 wrote:Hi, I was wondering if any other CTG families are going to celebrate Passover as recommended in the TM. I think it's Saturday. I was thinking of doing the Seder dinner on Sunday because we will be getting together with close family then anyway (Easter). (It would be WAY too much to do back to back dinners on both Sat and Sun.) It might be too much anyway, I'm not sure. :)

Any thoughts?
Rebecca
Couple of things. According to the Jewish calendar for 2012, Passover starts the evening before so technically would start at sundown on Friday and run through sundown Saturday.

We did CTG 2 years ago and incorporated a slightly shorter version during lunch. The seder plate had the most meaning to us.

Some churches do a seder on Maundy Thursday symbolizing Jesus taking the Passover with his disciples prior to his betrayal and crucifixion.

Passover/Seder is a beautiful picture of the Messiah and could aid in your "journey" to the cross (Friday) and then His resurrection (Sunday). You might want to consider doing seder (and reading portions of the Haggadah) on Thursday or Friday.

-Sue

dhudson

Re: Passover - CTG Anyone celebrating it?

Unread post by dhudson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:18 pm

We are doing ours with a couple of families Friday night. We have done one every year and it is one of the highlights of our year.
Last edited by dhudson on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:24 pm

I was thinking about coming on and asking for tips on making this doable, too. We have major extended-family health issues going on right now and are having an off-kilter couple of weeks. I'd love to do "something" special for Passover, but I'm not going to have the energy for full bore feast.

I don't know what to do . . . and I can't get a bag of "allergy" (barley) for counting the Omer . . . Hard boiled eggs should be easy to do - we'll be cooking up a bunch for Easter anyway. (Hmm . . . how bad would it be if our Passover hard boiled eggs had a little egg coloring that leaks through the shell?)
Julie in MN wrote:LOL 8[]

I would think any small grain would do, if it fits on the squares.
cbollin wrote:it's ok... you know I should send you back to the youtube link you sent me to . LOL LOL passover rhapsody

how about pictures of barley grain instead of real thing? or a sticker?
I was thinking we could use quinoa, but it's so tiny. Stickers. I can do stickers. We have little smiley-face stickers that will work.

that Passover Rhapsody video is awesome . . .

I think we're going to go with a seder plate at lunch time on Saturday and a good discussion. Hopefully I can get things across to my dh when he gets home from this extended trip he's on before that happens so he'll actually know what's going on.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks, Rebecca, for posting this question. We're doing CTG and just bought groceries last night to start preparing for the Seder meal. (Well, minus the lamb bone and the matzo meal. ;) Matzo meal - Anyone know what aisle that's on??)

Sue, thank you for the great information. That is very helpful!

The Sabbath meal at the beginning of the year turned out to be such a special time for our family. So I really look forward to celebrating Passover, although I'm trying not to feel overwhelmed by all of the instructions. We printed a Haggadah from a website - 12 pages.(!) My husband barely speaks 20 words a day... I'm pretty certain this version of the Haggadah may get edited. :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:16 pm

MelissaB wrote:(Well, minus the lamb bone and the matzo meal. ;)
We used a little photo of the bone, printed on cardstock and set on the plate. Just one option.

s_duguid

Unread post by s_duguid » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:23 pm

MelissaB wrote:Matzo meal - Anyone know what aisle that's on??)
We have a section of Jewish/Kosher food. Usually in the international aisle. Matzo is packaged in large cracker-type form in boxes, or you can get a box to make matzo balls or matzo ball soup.

Just an side note, we printed a picture of a lamb shank bone. :) (Just saw that Julie typed it, too; probably got the idea from her two years ago.) ;)

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:17 pm

Printing a picture of a shank bone - we can do that. Now to find that maltzo meal on the international aisle....

Thanks, Sue & Julie, for your help! :-)

Postby MelissaB » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:59 pm
Hiding the 10 pieces of Chametz (bread) tonight for our dds to find. So much fun! I made a quick list of where I hid each piece (in ziploc bags), so we don't lose any & find little pieces of moldy bread this summer. LOL

The parallel b/t searching for the hidden "leaven" with our candles (or flashlights:), and using God's light to seek out and remove all of our hidden sins .... is awesome.

BTW - for those, like me, who may be a little overwhelmed by it all, here is a children's website that was very helpful to me:
http://www.chabad.org/kids/article_cdo/ ... ssover.htm - Click on "How to Passover." :-)
Great for kids, too!

[editor's note: see the results below]
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:10 pm

The most fun we had was watching our children hunt for Chametz (leavened bread) by candlelight in the dark. The parallel to using Christ's light to find our hidden sins was beautiful. We also really enjoyed racing the clock to prepare the Matzah! :-)

Here are a few notes:

- Purchased Matzo Meal at our local store. When we got home, I noticed the box says, "Not for Passover Use." Oops. :~

- If you want to race the clock & make your own Matzah, a good recipe (& lots of fun!): http://www.lightofmashiach.org/matzorecipe.html

- Simple information for Kids (and us adults, too) about Passover, with cute videos: http://www.chabad.org/kids/article_cdo/ ... ssover.htm

- Passover Cake recipe in Celebrating Biblical Feasts is very good, as is the Noodles with Poppy Seeds & Almonds.

- Our food was almost cold by the time we finished reading the Haggadah. :-) LOL. You might want to leave your main dish/casserole in the oven until it's time to eat the meal.

Very special time!

Enjoy!
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13

Erna

kids passover books

Unread post by Erna » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:11 pm

MOMS wrote:Any good passover books for kids (my kids are 2, 5, 7, 11).
This would be for week 13 of CTG.
I think there's On Sabbath and P is for Passover. They come to mind. I own them but haven't read them in a while.

cbollin

Re: kids passover books

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Because Passover is a "spring feast"... you'll find the book basket list for Passover between weeks 25-28. well, I have a first edition CTG, so that's where they are in mine.
(that would be nice if there were a note in the week 13 for them as well)

This title below wasn't on book basket list in my edition, but was available locally at library, so I grabbed it that day.
pictures of modern passover celebration in one family about their traditions, etc. good example of seeing the seder plate, etc. I think it will fit for the ages you have.

Celebrating Passover
Author: Hoyt-Goldsmith, Diane.
Publisher, Date: New York : Holiday House, c2000.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: kids passover books

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Here are some Passover videos I posted once (still sort-of book basket):
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 840#p49840

Here are some Passover books we've read over the years. I can't remember which are favorites, but I'll add any of my notes that I see :)
- Kippi and the Missing Matzah, A Sesame Street Passover, by Louise Gikow
- Only Nine Chairs, A Tall Tale for Passover, by Deborah Uchill Miller.
- A Picture Book of Passover, by David A Adler
- Passover, by Miriam Nerlove. Young child’s story of what the family will do on Passover & why, with one longer page of explanation at end.
- The Passover Journey, A Seder Companion, by Barbara Diamond Goldin. For Jewish children originally, about grades 3-6.
- Sammy Spider’s First Passover, by Rouss. Illustrated in the paper-collage art similar to Leo Lionni or Eric Carle
- Passover! By Schotter. Picture book with very short text
– All About Passover, by Groner & Wikler, Kar-Ben Copies pub., colorfully illustrated but quite a bit of text