CTG - Weeks 24 & 25

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

CTG - Weeks 24 & 25

Unread post by Marie »

Weeks 24 & 25.
niki

Week 24

Unread post by niki »

We are on week 24. We've done Acrostics for David and Saul:
Determined to follow God
A man after God's own heart
Very courageous for the things of God
Impaled Goliath
David, King (this was my ds's acrostic)

God and the History of Art they drew a Bible story (I forgot what it was called) one of my kids drew David and Goliath. The kids have really enjoyed Children's Homer. They made puppets on popsicle sticks and made a little play. Anyway, schools been so good, we've really enjoyed CTG and are really looking forward to RTR. Just a few things going on over here. :)
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd
Julie in MN

Re: CTG - Weeks 24 & 25

Unread post by Julie in MN »

During weeks 25-30 or so, ds colored in a chart of the Kings of the Divided Kingdoms of Israel and Judah. He was in 4th grade, so I didn't make him create his own chart, but I found a premade chart & had him color good kings one color and bad kings another color. Of course, all the kings of Judah were bad. Several of Israel's kings he chose to color both colors. I let him decide after reading about each one. I gave input if I felt he needed to "see" the bigger picture, but in the end I let him decide.

I happened to have a chart on hand from Greenleaf Guide to the Old Testament, which I had used with my older dd, so I copied that onto cardstock for his CTG notebook. However, there are charts in many other resources as well as online. Note that each chart you find may map out the kings a little differently, and a few of the kings even have more than one name. (Also be careful of two different kings that have the same name!) But in general, the colors made an impression on my son (lots of bad kings :( ).
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
HSmommi2mine

Parents/Teens - Modern re-telling of the book of Kings

Unread post by HSmommi2mine »

OT but I thought some of you would be interested in this. The show "Kings" on NBC is a modern re-telling of the biblical story. It is for adults and teens and they are not staying with the biblical story exactly but it is really neat and it has given us new insight into the situations from I and II Kings. You would want to go to their web site and start watching from the first episode. Once you are caught up it is on 8 pm on Saturdays. They showed 5 or 6 episodes earlier this year but it was canceled due to low ratings numbers. It is a wonderful show though. I think the audience it appeals to are people like us who don't watch much TV so the ratings are likely to go up only by word of mouth.

We have a great time looking for how the biblical references are interpreted. In the first episode "David Shepherd" fixes the "Reverend Samuel's " car and the Rev. ends up wiping oil across David's forehead - The anointing. Later David takes out a "Goliath Tank" and in another episode Silas (Kind Saul) "Throws the spear". Anyway, It has helped things come to life for us and dh and I have decided to re-read I and II Kings as we watch it. Enjoy!
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids
LA in Baltimore

Thankful for the Ideas Boards

Unread post by LA in Baltimore »

We are in CTG and used one of the ideas shared to complete the Kings of Judah and Israel sheet.
I had stickers with smile faces, so we put a smile face next to each good king (even if they were 'mostly' good ;)) and one of my children colored their names green as well. I would never have thought to do this on my own. The idea board inspired me to make the page just a little more interesting.
It was amazing to see how many bad kings there were!

We had an opportunity to talk about:
1) The fact that God WAS their King (always good) and didn't want them to have any other, but they bugged him for one ("But Dad! Everyone else has one! ;) ) and He gave them what they wanted. Didn't work out too well. :~
and
2) The fact that the Kings of Israel were a desperate bunch. That is what usually happens when we rebel. Two wrongs never make a right.
Just wanted to share.
Praying you are all having a blessed day!
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!
cbollin

Re: CTG science

Unread post by cbollin »

oh, that was such a cool experiment with the liver ! we liked that one.

Liver ideas.....

I sent my dh to buy it and he ended up with a small tub of the stuff. it wasn't expensive, but it did end up wasted.

Instead... if I had gone (and I should have told him this.... my bad!I should have just told him. he would have done it. :) ) buy a whole roaster chicken. There's always the liver packet inside the cavity and then we could have cooked the rest of the chicken.

but yeah! it's a cool one to watch! We used a stick from a tree outside. plenty of those sticks on the ground.

-crystal
Julie in MN

CtG week 24 David & Bathsheba

Unread post by Julie in MN »

RachelT wrote:Hello! I have been working on our plans for the coming week. On Monday morning I am supposed to read the story of David and Bathsheba for our Bible lesson. How have some of you handled that one? I am trying to think of how to explain it truthfully, but discretely because my kids are on the younger side. Any suggestions? :~ Marie usually gives us great notes on topics that are more difficult, but I have none for this passage in the TM and just a small amount of information in the Victors book. Thanks for any suggestions!
Since the kids have done the 10 commandments about not coveting, maybe that would be a good example to discuss? I recall my ds understood the lesson, even in 4th grade, because of the time we'd spent on those commandments. At my house, I usually read the Bible lessons as is, but it wouldn't be hard to sub something like "David wanted her to be his girlfriend."

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
cbollin

Re: CtG week 24 David & Bathsheba

Unread post by cbollin »

agreeing with Julie on this...

How did you handle teaching those things (no adultery, no covet) in 10 Commandments? maybe that will help?
I think I prefaced our reading with something like we're going to read about a time where King David made some really bad choices.

-crystal
RachelT

Unread post by RachelT »

Ah, yes, of course we have already talked about the 10 commandments and how God designed marriage for Adam and Eve to be one man and one woman. I think what makes it a little more complicated is that some of these great heroes of the past did have multiple wives. Thanks for the good suggestions on referring back to the commandments and on some paraphrasing. We still haven't done a complete course on human reproduction and I wasn't ready to do that this morning, but I can go about things from this kind of an angle. Thanks for the quick replies!
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

oh yeah, and don't forget.... you don't have to explain everything today especially with bizarre way david tried to handle it with Bathsheba's husband being sent to the battlefield. You can just say David was trying to cover up his own sin and hurt everyone that way.

Rachel, saying this friend to friend here.... it gets easier to talk about this stuff with our children when we start at the right age. You're using this time now to set foundations for values with it all. It could even be a time for your hubby (D) to repeat the values of the reading a bit with your son (J) about how that's not how men of God should act , or something like that. It's opening time for life long conversations even if the mechanics side of the discussion hasn't had a full academic unit yet. (how's that for delicate?)

-crystal
RachelT

Unread post by RachelT »

Crystal, you always make me laugh!! We talked about it this morning and it went well.
You can just say David was trying to cover up his own sin and hurt everyone that way.

Yes, that is what I said and that made sense to them. I will definitely tell my husband about it all later so that he can talk about it with them, too.
it wouldn't be hard to sub something like "David wanted her to be his girlfriend."
Thanks Julie! That's what I said and they understood that.
They were just sad that the baby had to die (but understood that is was because of David's sin) and very curious to look at the chart in Victor's about David's wives and children. Then, I re-iterated that God's design was for one man and one woman to have a family and that this family had problems down the road with the sons being jealous of each other and fighting, similar to Jacob's family because this was not really God's best for them.
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/
Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 »

Our pastor has been teaching on the life of David for seveal months now and it's been really neat to have our bible lessons repeated at church and at home. I've gotten much insight from our pastor's messages and the discussions that we have in our small group that I've been able to relate to my boys during our lessons, it's so neat how God works those things out sometimes:) We have had many discussions on God's laws and how when men ignore them (David's wrong choices etc. ) they must face the consequences of sin. Our pastor said something like " we choose our sin but we have no choice over the consequences of our sin". I agee that these can be difficult passages when it comes to relaying them to our children. I believe in the "whole counsel of God" and 2 Tim. 3:16 but don't necessarily want to put in thoughts and/or questions in my boys minds that we (mostly me:) aren't quite ready for. I've really enjoyed our bible lessons this year in CTG and am so thankful for MFW and the work that goes into helping me teach my boys.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17
DS4home

Re: CTG - Weeks 24 & 25

Unread post by DS4home »

Week 24 wraps up the readings in 1 and 2 Samuel. We summed up our learning with this acrostic.
S - Samuel heard God's voice
A - Ark was captured
M - "Make us a king!"
U - Uncircumcised Philistine
E - Excellent King David
L - Lost his son Absalom

This has been such a rich year of learning God's word and the history of His people.
Loving it,
Dawn
Celebrating our 30th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS+College Grad), & Bethany(11th)
2020: high school US Hist.1
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1