CTG - Weeks 18 & 19

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

CTG - Weeks 18 & 19

Unread post by Marie »

Weeks 18 & 19.
cbollin

Timeline dates

Unread post by cbollin »

Regarding the Timeline pieces and the dates for Samson and Samuel

Samuel's date is probably a birth date -1105BC
The date on Samson may not be a birthdate, but must be a 'becoming a judge' date - 1075BC

Further explanation is found in newer manuals about the order.

-crystal
Julie in MN

Extra resources

Unread post by Julie in MN »

(1) Kingdom Songs
The story of God's people in music
1 Samuel to II Chronicles
by Sora Colvin

When we were studying the kings of the Bible, I had this resource for singing some of the stories & lists of kings. I think I got it from Sing 'n Learn. Disclaimer: It's truly not necessary for CTG, and we didn't use it a ton or learn any of the songs by heart. But I liked it because (1) we like to add musical things to our day and (2) I had done the kings with my older dd & found there was a lot of history between Samuel, Kings, & Chronicles.

The CD and book (lyrics, coloring pages, a few discussion questions) is kinda folksy with guitar accompaniment.

(2) DVD: East Meets West, Drive Thru History series

The first section of this DVD is about the Hittites of the Old Testament, where they lived, what their ancestry was, etc. There is a small mention of Bathsheba's husband being a Hittite (week 24 in CTG). The Drive-Thru videos are very goofy in a junior hi boy style, but you get to see the real locations up close, and the host (Dave Stotts) makes it cool to get excited about how Biblical history is being proven true!

The rest of the Drive-Thru series is pretty much all about Christianity, so it might not be useful in CTG (except as an exciting preview :) ). However, you do get the "Best of Drive Thru History" episode on this DVD, if you really want goofy...

(3) DVD: Holy Land, Drive Thru History series
The newest Drive-Thru series with Dave Stotts is on the Holy Land. You can watch the first couple in the series on YouTube.

(4) Book: In God's Hands, by Lawrence Kushner and Gary Schmidt
A sweet story about how we are the hands of God, that mostly takes place at the Ark in a Jewish synagogue.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
cbollin

Timeline problem in CtG

Unread post by cbollin »

sojen wrote:Oh, I was hoping your question was about the Samuel and Samson timeline pieces. We are confused by those, and wondering how MFW came up with the Samson date. We can't find anything that lines up with that and my kids are confused as to why Samson is after Samuel.

I guess I just hijacked this post. Sorry &)
oooh ! I know one! check out their new FAQ - apparently it gets asked a LOT!
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/10/Cre ... eeks/#FAQs

isn't that cool how they have some of those FAQ for each program. ? loving these updates!

But just for old time sake... here's a copy and paste.
  • Why does Samuel come after Samson in the timeline?
    Please refer to the notes in week 19 of your Creation to the Greeks Teacher's Manual for an explanation. The dates represent the time around which it is thought that these men were born, so Samuel was already living when Samson was born. We just do not hear his story until 1 Samuel.
Last edited by cbollin on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie in MN

Re: Timeline problem in CtG

Unread post by Julie in MN »

cbollin wrote:The dates represent the time around which it is thought that these men were born, so Samuel was already living when Samson was born. We just do not hear his story until 1 Samuel.
Yes, so Samson is first mentioned in the book of Judges, and Samuel is first mentioned in 1 Samuel, but Samuel is older than Samson. That makes sense. I like the new FAQ.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs