CTG - Weeks 12 & 13 (including the 10 Plagues)

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

CTG - Weeks 12 & 13 (including the 10 Plagues)

Unread post by Marie »

Weeks 12 & 13
(including the 10 Plagues)
Lainie

The Plagues - 5,000 frogs!

Unread post by Lainie »

Can you keep a secret?

We have been buried under a lot of snow that is uncharacteristic for our area. I feel like our city has been moved to the Midwest :)

Because of that we haven't been able to get out of the house and lots of activities have been canceled. Soooo, we are getting ready to jump back into school and have already started with the life of Moses. Ah, but our next week of school starts the plagues. I've been looking forward to the plagues and knew that I wanted to "go all out" for one of them to drive the point home. It's good that our kids know the story but sometimes they "think" they know it so well they don't really ponder it and try to wrap their brains around what it really looked (not that we could even come close to an accurate simulation).

Anyway, this is a very long post just to say I'm so excited.

Last night Dh and I went to Kinkos and photocopied the little frog from the TM. We were able to get 10 frogs on one sheet of paper... and then we copied it on to an entire ream of bright green paper!

Yes, on plague day, while they are sleeping, we are going to scatter 5000 paper frogs everywhere...in their beds, bathroom, kitchen, you name it!

Because we want to surprise them I can't blog about it until afterwards. But I had to tell someone!!

It's one of our "splurges" for the year.

I just had to share. Thank you for indulging me :)

Posted by Lainie » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:02 pm
Yes I will be taking pictures and posting as soon as it happens and we are prepared to find them everywhere forever after. :)

As far as the cutting goes, Kinkos will cut for you with this hydraulic cutter they have. It can cut through an entire ream of paper. So they only needed to make 5 cuts to do the whole thing. But, get this, they weren't busy at all because of all the snow we've had and we had a good time chatting while we were there... the gal who cut it didn't like that the cuts came out a little crooked (it's totally fine) and so did not charge us for the cuts!

We received a discount for bringing in our own paper, an educational discount for being home schoolers plus free cuts! Merry Christmas to us!
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/
Lainie

Unread post by Lainie »

Here ya go!

Thanks for keeping the secret... it was great!

http://www.mishmashmaggie.com/2009/01/p ... frogs.html

...Okay we found a "frogs in swamp" sound effect on iTunes and have it playing continuously. It is so annoying! The sound must have been deafening in reality.

Definitely adds another layer!
Lainie (Oregon)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

We loved the ones perched on the door, ready to fall! Ds said in a deadpan voice, "5,000. Wow."

Thanks for the fun!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
courthart246

Unread post by courthart246 »

So awesome! Boy am I glad those weren't real frogs. Can you just imagine the odor? What a cool, vivid picture for your kiddos!
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)
Lainie

Unread post by Lainie »

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm for us.

My dh is very detail oriented and booby-trapped all the doors. We even unrolled toilet paper, put frogs in and wound the paper back up. I expect we will be finding frogs for a very, very long time. :)

It was nice to have a "splurge". We don't go all out for everything but really pick which things are worth that extra investment of time & resources.

We chose this plague for several reasons and some are that--

Since the plagues expose the falsity of Egypt's gods and demonstrate the uselessness and folly of sin, those seemingly insignificant frogs (individually) are just like our little sins that alone seem harmless but multiplied overwhelm and destroy.

The fact that the frogs were everywhere just spoke to us about the far reaching effects of sin.

Knowing that we will be finding frogs for a long time speaks to us that the consequences of sin have long, far reaching affects.

The stench from all those frogs which would have been stepped on and squished etc.. created a stench that "made the land foul." The kids grasped, hopefully, to a greater degree that rebellion leaves behind a stench and pollutes the whole land.

Since the plagues come in three groups of threes until the last one, two with warnings and one without, it served as a reminder that God gives warnings and they should be heeded.

The frog sounds ALL DAY just drove home that Satan makes noise to keep us from hearing God's still small voice. I can't wait for peace and quiet :)

Thanks again everyone for being available to share this journey with...
Lainie (Oregon)

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell »

You know that you'll be finding them for years, right?

(Fast forward a couple of decades, the kids have moved out and you decide on a smaller house downtown; another family buys the house).

Mr. Smith: "Honey, I found another one."
Mrs Smith: "Do you think it's from the previous owners?"
Mr. Smith: "Who in the world would make paper frogs?"
Mrs. Smith: "I have no idea. They seemed like such a nice family at the closing."
Mr. Smith: "But who would make paper frogs? We've found what, ten? twelve of them?"
Mrs. Smith: "And in such weird places? The one under the kitchen drawer? The one under the carpet? The one in the closet?"
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).
wlwest

Week 13

Unread post by wlwest »

I had ds (9) make a poster with all the 10 plagues on them. That was pretty good.
wendy
Wendy wife to lester for 14 yrs
4 children:
Alison 12
Bradley 9
Emily 3
Nathan 1 1/2
cbollin

Re: CTG - Weeks 12 & 13 (including the 10 Plagues)

Unread post by cbollin »

our family is not as creative as Lainie. no way we could do that scale of project. so, here's a scaled down activity for the frogs for those like me would might otherwise enjoy reading about other people's really cool stuff, but need permission to scale back and not feel like a total loser and failure..... if we can't do that much!

We traced some of the pics from the manual to scatter some frogs. 5000 wasn't needed. But it's fun to see that on someone else's blog ;) Instead, we had about 5 frogs and carried them with us all day and put them on each other "eeewww there's a frog on your plate!" "eeek,,... my hairbrush".

and to help tell the story a bit of where frogs were found.... I printed off some random Frog Coloring Pages. frog with a crown, frog with a wizards hat (hey... the egyptians had wizards ... just read the Bible, don't flame me...)

anyway, kind of fun to have a coloring page of a frog with a crown (we pretended the frog was in pharaoh's lap even if it wasn't the Pharaoh's crown in this pic....)
http://www.printactivities.com/Coloring ... rown2.html
and then the egyptian magician and frog....
http://www.printactivities.com/Coloring ... s-hat.html

one kid got the frog wizard - and each time the Bible mentioned the Egyptian magicians, she waved her paper. Each time Pharaoh was mention, the other kid waved her frog in a crown picture.

so, do what is fun and works in your house. I know my kids and I had fun with a bamboo skewer as a wooden staff, 2 coloring pages for the frogs and having fun telling the story.
cbollin

Week 13, Music

Unread post by cbollin »

Week 13, Music, extra?

If you need some help finding those optional music pieces in week 13, Wednesday, for Israel in Egypt....
try here for free stream play (just a 1 minute sample at free) or 99 cent download for whole thing.

http://www.classicalarchives.com/work/11602.html

the idea is to listen to a bit of the music in that optional idea, but I thought it might help others to find it quickly.

-crystal
cbollin

Can I switch Handel and Bach?

Unread post by cbollin »

sojen wrote:Well, I know I can. But is there any reason not too?

We are in CTG week 13 and I really want to study Handel during the winter. The symphony will be performing Messiah and I would love to take the kids. Plus, I just noticed we can listen to Handel's Israel in Egypt this week to go along with the Exodus. So I wondered why Bach was scheduled first in the TM. Would I miss something by switching?
you can switch it. I think in my case, I switched stuff because, well, uh.... I had moved and CD's were still missing.....

basically if something else was in CTG lessons, it was easy to review or go "bach" to it on a Friday. But I'm sure you can "handel" the switch with no problems.

LOL LOL

-crystal
Julie in MN

Re: Can I switch Handel and Bach?

sojen wrote:So I wondered why Bach was scheduled first in the TM. Would I miss something by switching?
I think it's just a chronologic thing? Bach died before Handel?

We moved the composers a few times due to orchestra opportunities & such, & it was fine.

You do go back and study them chronologically during the years they actually lived (in EX1850), so either way, you'll get to do them again.

Julie
gratitude

Unread post by gratitude »

Switch them by all means for the Messiah! :-)

Little information as to possible reasons of why they may have put Bach first:

Bach 1685 - 1750
Handel 1685 - 1759

They were both born in Germany in the same year, but Handel moved to England where he composed the Messiah.

The best reason I would know of Bach going first would be that he is considered to be the Father of Music by many. They were both part of the Baroque period (1600 - 1750) of music, which is defined by counterpoint. Bach's death ends the Baroque era and begins the classical era (1750 - 1820) that Mozart and Haydn would be composers in. Due to Bach's tremendous teaching and compositions he is the backbone of keyboard (piano) music, and is usually given the credit for being the foundation of much of the music that followed. He also composed all music signing it TTGOG (To the Glory of God). Handall on the other hand has a marvelous story of staying awake for days while composing the Messiah and says to have seen the Lord himself during the composition of the Messiah while tears went streaming down Handall's face.

Enjoy the Messiah!
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

speaking of the Messiah.....

look on youtube for a flash mob christmas food court version of Messiah. done a week ago
Christmas Food Court Flash Mob, Hallelujah Chorus - Must See
by alphabetphotography

or look for alphabetphotography's website and the link is there.

it was nice.

-crystal
Julie in MN

Oh, yes, I should have thought of this post!

The one we watched was on Philly.Com (a Philadelphia newspaper), posted 11/1, or search for "flash opera at Macy's" and it says:
A flash mob hit Macy's in Center City on Saturday - 650 vocalists who, unknown to shoppers, had arranged to burst into song at noon.

What it doesn't say: They were all singing the Hallelujah chorus from Handel's Messiah! Amen!

P.S. This is a different flash opera, so there must be several on utube. I love that this one is in a multi-story Macy's - it's like an orchestra hall, and the shoppers are so amazed!
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momsflowergarden

Treasures of the Snow movie

Unread post by momsflowergarden »

This is offered at Netflix.
  • Treasures of the Snow
    Inspired by the heartfelt book by Patricia St, John, this drama finds 13-year-old Lucien traumatized after his relentless teasing winds up causing his friend, Danny, to fall off an Alpine cliff. Ostracized for his actions, especially by Danny's sister, Annette, Lucien seeks refuge in the mountains after his repeated attempts at seeking forgiveness fail to make a difference. There, a woodcarver teaches Lucien how to find his way to peace. :-)
Be blessed
Sandy
Be Blessed
Sandy
Mom of 5
Homeschooler of 2, ds 10 and dd 11
Using CLE Math, Calculadders, PLL/ILL, Rod and Staff spelling, AND MFW ECC for History, Science and Bible.
MelissaB

Handel's Israel to Egypt (Wk. 13)

Unread post by MelissaB »

Hi, Moms -

Handel's Israel in Egypt is on youtube, performed by the San Francisco School of the Arts Vocal, Instrumental & Music departments. (Note to new users: Youtube ads can be immoral. You can downsize your screen window or full-size the video to protect loved ones.:-))

[Editor's note: Find this link on YouTube by searching for "Israel In Egypt (Part 1 of 4)" by mayranpe. ]
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4
MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB »

Just watched these videos that would go great anytime b/t Weeks 12 to 15. Answers in Genesis kids' site has videos called, "Unwrapping the Pharaohs" by David Downs. There are 5 parts, each between 15-20 min. that cover archeology and engineering of the pyramids to the hieroglyphics that point to the accuracy of scripture. They're indepth and fascinating, and free. :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4
DS4home

Unread post by DS4home »

In acting out the 10 plagues we used stickers for the gnats, flies, and boils. We used a package of those colored dot stickers that are sometimes used to price code things at a garage sale. We used the yellow dots for gnats, blue dots for flies ( I think), and red dots for boils.
Stickers are always fun, especially when you get to put them on your arms, hands, cheeks, and chins!!

Dawn
Celebrating our 30th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS+College Grad), & Bethany(11th)
2020: high school US Hist.1
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1