CTG - Weeks 6 & 7

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.

CTG - Weeks 6 & 7

Unread post by MFW-Marie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:26 pm

Weeks 6 & 7.

Making a Cartouche

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:46 am

Dannielle wrote:Just curious as to how others made this. I was looking in the book Ancient Egypt, but it doesn't really explain how to make a cartouche. What type of materials did you use?
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:10 am

The link to the hieroglyphics "translator" and page numbers are in the CTG teacher's manual along with the suggestion to skip the more involved project and to use colored pencils or paint.
[Editor's note: New link location: http://www.penn.museum/cgi/hieroglyphsreal.cgi }

Here’s a quick and easy thing I found that you could do. Use the translator link from the following.... for the picture symbols. Then grab a toothpick and soft playdough or modeling clay and make it: http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0210200 ... touche.htm

(edit to add: Use p 41 of the Ancient Egypt book to see that the cartouche is vertical. Use p. 40 for the picture symbols. Keep it easy and simple and fun. We used the link in the TM to print a few and just took the quick road that day. )

Last edited by cbollin on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread post by mom2boys » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:48 am

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:52 am

For the cartouche, we just used cardstock and paint and, like Crystal said, made the characters vertical. We used the hieroglyphics books from the library to copy the characters for their initials. My boys enjoyed this one and the cuniform one earlier that we engraved on cookie dough. The simple projects really help cement these ideas for my sons.

We are coming up on a busy couple of weeks and I have thought about skipping the activities, but this reminds me how much they really get out of those. I may have to rethink this. Maybe since Thanksgiving will be a short week -we might take a week off the regular schedule and use those three days to catch up projects and art. Thanks for letting me think out loud.

Unread post by sewardmom » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:48 am

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:33 pm

For the cartouche, my dd's used oil pastels on crumpled construction paper (they thought crumpling would give them that 'ancient' look) vertically.

One thing we did a little differently was to make up our own symbols.
They thought of symbols that reflected things that were important to them. I don't have them in front of me but I think they drew pictures like Jesus, musical symbols and other things that are important to them.

Have fun,

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:50 am

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:31 pm

My ds was a 4th grader in CTG. He just did the online cartouche.

Then about a month or so later, there is an opportunity to make an obelisk with symbols, and he made one of his life. That is a sweet memory in his notebook (what an entire life looks like to a 4th grader :o)

Just to say that you will have other opportunities if you take the easy route this time...

CTG Ten Commandments memorization

Unread post by Willow » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:03 am

I wanted to share something that helped my dc memorize the Ten Commandments:

http://www.livingwaters.com/downloads/1 ... PCHART.pdf

Both dc, as well as Mom, memorized all ten during CTG week 6. At first my 5th grader balked at the pictures, saying they were silly, but yesterday she told me that the pictures helped her remember the commandments and keep them in order.

We used the wording with the pictures rather than what is in the CTG manual, but you could use any Bible translation you prefer with the pictures.
2007/08 ECC with 1st & 4th grade dc

Re: Making a Cartouche

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:58 am

cbollin wrote:Making a Cartouche

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:10 am
other options found online when the link in the CTG manual to U Penn was not active for a while.....

http://www.harcourtschool.com/activity/ ... ouche.html

Julie in MN

Re: CTG - Weeks 6 & 7

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:13 am

Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Book Basket ? for CtG-might be odd question

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:39 pm

CharleneHoell wrote:This might be an odd question, but we are going into week 6 of CtG and I noticed that there are no week 6 books in the back of the book for book basket. I am assuming that we just use week 5 books for two weeks?

BTW...we are loving this year. Can't say enough wonderful things! :-)
I have a really old CTG manual and it's like that too. I've always assumed it is a week 5 and 6, and week 7 and 8, 11 & 12, etc. kind of thing. I know I was scratching my head because the pages weren't double sided. LOL.

I forgot.... I also have a really old manual (ok. I have 2 old CTG manuals, neat story, for another time) and in that one, the book basket is double sided. but still the "thematically connected weeks" style.

So usually, we just plan to use the same books in those paired weeks (or I could try to sound all fancy and say "thematically connected topics" weeks.)

LA in Baltimore

CTG Week 6 - Growing (pyramid) Crystals

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Just an FYI ...
We used boiling water for our "hot water" and when we added a large spoonful of baking soda to the water it bubbled ALL over the place. What a mess! :~
And, since the water was so hot it was hard to clean up quickly.
It continued to bubble up and over the container for several spoonfuls of baking soda.

Not sure what would have lessened the mess...
1. Hot water instead of Boiling Water?
2. Larger container for mixing (so the water level wasn't near the top)?
3. Smaller additions of baking soda?

Hopefully, a science girl will chime in with some heads up advice for those who haven't been there yet!
This is why Dad is teaching Marine Biology this year and not Mom! ;)
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

Julie in MN

Re: CTG Week 6 - Growing (pyramid) Crystals

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:35 pm

We've done this similar experiment a couple of times:
http://britton.disted.camosun.bc.ca/sno ... flake.html

We boil the water on the stove, and then pour it into a large jar (like spaghetti sauce or a fairly large quantity of big pickles might come in). My soon always puts in TONS of borax, but he usually goes slower at the beginning. The first spoonful doesn't cause any problems that I recall.

Is this how you're doing it?

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:56 pm

We've done borax crystals like Julie said. We've done baking soda crystals. We've done alum crystal growing. and I'm still 4'7". (I had to re use that joke, sorry. You see, my husband is back to being an xray crystallographer and grows and analyzes crystalline structures....... It was a standard ice breaker at various science gatherings. The "small molecule" crowd always loved the visual.) anywho

in Pyramids book, it is a washing soda crystal growing experiment. (which is not borax, or baking soda or alum)

I called my oldest. She's a science gal.

My oldest --- I don't remember boiling the water. It just says very hot. So, let it get hot. You just want it so hot that you can dissolve a whole lot of soda in it. Oh wait, mom.... remember in year 5 we did this again with the 2 glasses and the strings and paperclips and how it grew up and over the strings?!? we had the plate under it and all of that?

me: well yes and no honey. It was Baking Soda in the year 5 book. This is washing soda. The only time we used washing soda was something in the botany book that I don't remember now. I was going to do this one in CTG a few weeks ago, but well... your sister and I just looked at the alum crystals we grew in other years. It was chaos over here. right, boxes, tents and? But yeah, I remember the baking soda crystal.... oh my goodness. we didn't throw that out until we we cleaning the house to put in on the market. I remember that. it was cool! it just got thicker and thicker and we watched it drip and kept it in the cabinet above the fridge.

Oldest kiddo: (grabs my year 5 books) here it is.... let's see.....does it need to be boiling.... no it just says very hot water. so it should work with hot water.

So, if you want to do baking soda.....
2 jars, with hot (not boiling water).... stir six teaspoons of soda into each jar until no more will dissolve.
put jar in warm place and a small plate between them
use some yarn, paper clip on each end. clip in the jar to hold down the yarn
let yarn dangle but not touch the plate
wait about a week (or longer too!) and watch the crystals form up and over the yarn.
the yarn soaks the mixture and as the water evaporates all that's left are the soda crystals.

Middle daughter and I decided to go for it...

250 ml of water in the microwave (1100 watts) for 30 seconds is very hot water. we dissolved a lot of washing soda it that very hot water and it didn't boil over. it will sit for a week and we'll check on it. the jar is still warm to the touch.

Postby cbollin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 am
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! our crystals grew a lot overnight.... checking the time stamps here, not even 24 hours yet.

silly me -- I didn't follow the instruction about the paperclip as closely as I should have and the paperclip ended up in the middle of the crystal layer in the bottom of the jar. and some of the crystals are on the clip and on the string too. cool.....

LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:07 pm

The CTG TM told me to substitute baking soda, so that's what we did. I see they are periodically updated with helpful hints - like use baking soda.

The crystals started to form very quickly (maybe within an hour? - I've pretty much given up keeping track of time since I've been homeschooling 4)

I didn't know that crystals would form on the bottom, so our paperclip might be too low, also. Time will tell. We used a large measuring cup and the microwave to heat the water and then mixed the baking soda right in the measuring cup "hot out of the microwave". We poured the solution into a quart canning jar (actually a mayo jar from when they used to be glass and good for canning!)

It doesn't appear that the boiling water caused any difficulties except for the mess!

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice. The children will write down their observations on Friday.

LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:27 am

The last chapters of Tanglewood's Secret is not scheduled in my TM.
I just penciled it in.
Week 8 starts Star of Light.
EDITED TO ADD: I have an older edition of the Read Aloud, but a newer edition of the TM.

Growing pyramid crystals question

Unread post by MFW-Julie/Archiver » Sat May 29, 2010 1:12 pm

doubleportion wrote:We did the experiment in week 6 of CTG this week. I did use washing soda as suggested in the book (sodium carbonate). But so far our crystals seem to be forming on the edge of the glass instead of the string. Did anyone else have the same problem? I follow the instructions exactly in the book, but I put the solution in a tall glass since we didn't have a glass bowl. I am wondering if the shape of the glass vessel is important?

Postby Julie in MN » Sat May 29, 2010 1:12 pm
I can't remember how similar they are, but we've done this one a couple of times:
http://britton.disted.camosun.bc.ca/sno ... flake.html
Plus we've done several other things, such as sugar, but the borax always resulted in the most mega-crystals. We usually used something like a spaghetti sauce jar.

Anyways, it seems to me that crystals form on anything and everything -- up the sides of the jar, covering string or pipecleaners or sticks -- whatever the solution is touching as the water portion of the mixture cools. When the water cools, the water molecules move back to being close together, plus some of the water evaporates away, so the dissolved particles are pushed out.

Note that we used lots of borax plus lots hot water -- so much that we had to pour out quite a bit. In the end, we even had so many crystals that you'd have to smash the jar full of crystals in order to get our big, crystalized snowflake out.

Postby mfwrocks » Sat May 29, 2010 6:06 pm
Growing crystals is an art. (every pun imaginable with my wife's name is intended)

You have crystals growing. That mean you did the experiment right.

I'm guessing the condition, not shape, of your glasses affected where they grew. I'm not saying that with certainty; it's an educated guess. And maybe the string has something on it that is keeping them from growing on the string.

Postby doubleportion » Sat May 29, 2010 7:08 pm
Thanks all! I ended up looking into our glass again tonight and we do have a large crystal floating on the liquid attached to the string. But you can not see it from looking through the side of the glass. You can only tell when you look straight down into it. So we are having some success. Can't say many of them look triangular but we will give it the weekend and take pictures on Tuesday morning after the holiday.
mfwrocks wrote:You have crystals growing. That mean you did the experiment right.
Thanks John! That encouraged me not to pour the gunk out.

OK, I looked into the glass tonight and we definitely have pyramid shaped crystals now. So that took about a day and a half in the humid south. I know dd will be happy to see them when she gets up in the morning!

Thanks for the help.

Julie in MN

Building a cube out of pyramids

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 29, 2010 3:16 pm

doubleportion wrote:Another question from CTG Week 6. My dd was suppose to build six identical paper pyramids and then fit them together to make a cube. We made the paper pyramids but I think I didn't get the geometry right. Because the pyramids wouldn't fit together without a large gap on one side. She used four pyramid in the middle and one on top and one on bottom. I am pretty sure that we got the structure size wrong. The instructions in the Pyramids book pg. 54 didn't give me enough to figure it out on my own. I am very mathematically challenged.

I don't remember the linking project. We built the pyramid that used to be in the appendix, and ds built many other pyramids out of wood, legos, etc. But I don't recall linking any together?

However, here's another one to try?
http://www.korthalsaltes.com/model.php? ... 20a%20cube

Re: Building a cube out of pyramids

Unread post by cbollin » Sat May 29, 2010 3:27 pm

The CTG manual just says something like projects on this page are optional.

It's on week 6, Tuesday CTG p. 54 of Pyramids and the instructions are not helpful and not accurate.....

thanks for finding other stuff.

I asked my John to do this one. He is not math challenged. He read the instructions on p. 54 and said "those are wrong. that will never work like that. They mean to say...." I don't know what he said...

so I would say.... You're not stupid. The book need helps for it. It says optional and can skip. But honestly, I really think Marie should have said "skip the part about making the cube". Marie has a great rep for taking complicated projects and making it easy instead of skipping in MFW. So that's what's needed for this one fun activity. note to MFW office: We await the pudding box version (a simple solution) Maybe that guy in MFW office who knows a lot about math has an idea, or one of those taking engineering classes at MS&T?

of course Julie found stuff that will work....... it's just that no one ever asked before....

and John built a template during all of this too. he followed the link and said "yep. the one she found looks close to mine, so it should work too. My design is a little different. so he gets out the ruler and just make sure it is not equilateral on your link... and measures the angles.... (he says something about 54.70... I don't know. I gave up. and went to drink sweet tea and eatin' some taters. I'm in the south)

It's funny.... Kate looked at the links you found and said 'but, look we have to do dad's drawing and send it to help MFW, b/c the copyright on the link Miss Julie found is not for commercial purposes"

meanwhile. back in memphis... oldest is busy folding pyramids from her dad's template......

good thing Edie has met me in real life....

Unread post by cbollin » Sat May 29, 2010 5:00 pm

(but couldn't I at least tell the dimensions? No, says John. Why?
b/c some of them are irrational)

sigh.... so, no Edie, this was not an easy project. It was not easy for a math geek either.

but it all has a happy ending.... click on the templates that Julie gave you. We're sure they'll work. easy answer. ignore my family. we're idiots.

here's a pic of the cube, made from 6 pyramids from John's template. This picture shows right before we taped all of them together so it shows gaps, a little bit of tape on the sides and we have a cube.

This project should be a simple one with a template and shouldn't be skipped. I know on workshops like Working Dad's role in home education (also known as Working Dads can Home School too!), David talks about how men can help their wives not give up on projects for science. It's really kind of fun to do.

oh yeah, the pic
pyramid cube.jpg
pyramid cube.jpg (34.71 KiB) Viewed 8448 times
and after we taped the sides together.

cube.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 8447 times

Unread post by cbollin » Sat May 29, 2010 6:01 pm

Building a Cube from Pyramid,

The template below was created by my dh, John, who has a Ph.D. in the sciences.
I was able to print from this:
right click
copy image
open a new word file
change page size to smallest margins (0.8 each side?)
paste the image

if it doesn't work, feel free to email me and I can send a pdf file you can print.

also go to this thread...
tmp2ED smaller b&w.JPG
tmp2ED smaller b&w.JPG (36.21 KiB) Viewed 8415 times

Unread post by doubleportion » Sat May 29, 2010 9:42 pm

cbollin wrote:just for those wondering if the pyramid in the student sheets (or appendix for first edition) on week 5 would work. No. It's not right dimensions.
That is what I tried first and that is why I had to post my question. So glad you and I are married to science, math geeks. I think having a template will be helpful for everyone math-minded or not.
cbollin wrote:I just wish we could figure out how to fix the shower !
LOL! Thanks. I'm glad to see my house isn't the only one. I still have a tooth brush lodged in the bottom of one of my kids sinks.
cbollin wrote:so I would say.... skip the part about building a cube. You're not stupid.
Thank you. But I AM really that stupid when it comes to math. But I get my hubby to figure it out for me usually. But he has been swamped with job change stuff this week.

Thanks John :-) for creating that template!! I know I will not be the only house thanking you for helping us get that project done!!!

Crystal, what would the world be like without our science geek hubbies to balance out our artsy dancy others? ;)

You guys are a lot of fun and I sure appreciate you being real.

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:25 pm

Hello! Here is a link to my blog about Weeks 6 & 7. We had good success with the science experiments where we put a sticky note in the upside down glass and with the balloons. I also have pictures on this post of our Books of the Old Testament on index cards and an art project. We have added Artistic Pursuits Book 1 to our art studies this year and we created a wall mural using their lesson plan, which is explained better on the link below.

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogs ... s-6-7.html
Rachel, wife to Doug since 1995, mom to J (16) and B (14)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010
8th grade ECC/AHL & 10th grade WHL 2016-17

Activity for Book of Job

Unread post by bethinga » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:10 am

Story of JOB activity:

http://www.christianitycove.com/try-thi ... 1021/1063/

I found this activity VERY effective in helping my kids relate to the story of Job. It also helped start discussions. For instance, my 8 yo DD contributed this nugget of wisdom: "If bad things never happened to good people, they wouldn't know how much sin there was in the world. We wouldn't know how to feel sadness for other people. And good people might think all the good things that happened to them were because of their own goodness, and they might try to get away with anything. They might jump off a cliff saying, 'It's okay, God will save me!'"

They also LOVED acting out the story (their idea). They acted it out more than once, each person taking a turn being Job, the others being the wife and bad friends. Lots stuffed animals and baby dolls were used as props! Cotton balls were even used as sheep! 😄

Edit: In case the link doesn't work later, here's the activity in a nutshell:

-Place a treat in front of the kids, but tell them they can't eat it yet. I gave them animal crackers.

-Read a shortened version of Job. As you name things that Job lost, take away cookies until they're all gone.

-Talk about how disappointed he must have felt and talk about bad things that have happened to you. Ask after each, "Does that mean God doesn't love us?" Of course the answer is "No".

-Read how God blessed Job even more in the end while passing out a much better snack! I used mini marshmallows.

The link explains it so much better, so I hope it will work for a long time!
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012