CTG - Weeks 4 & 5

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

CTG - Weeks 4 & 5

Unread post by Marie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:26 pm

Weeks 4 & 5.

mdfriederich

Week 5: Notebook-map of Middle East

Unread post by mdfriederich » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:41 am

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:54 pm
I thought making the map of the "Middle East Today" sounded challenging so I got my tracing paper out and traced the map on pps. 44-45 of ECC's Illustrated World Atlas, which is the map of South West Asia, and then I had to add on Egypt. It's an o.k.ish looking map. Because I thought this was pretty hard, I'm planning to copy it for my kids and they can label it and color it if they wish.

Looking forward to going to see the King Tut exhibit on Wednesday at the Chicago Field Museum!

Lucy

Map of the Middle East

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:45 am

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:33 am

We did the Map of the Middle East several years ago but I just used the map that is behind the timeline pages and had the kids draw in the country borders that are there today. (In the photocopies it said you needed a map for Wed. but I think that was a mistake and meant for Thursday.)

Diane, I can see how you could draw a completely new map from scatch. I hope your kids appreciate all you do to make school and learning more fun and easier for them!

The only 2 that will be hard to fit in will be Afghanistan and Pakistan, but I think they may be considered part of Central Asia and not considered the middle east.

Good thing we are going back to ECC next year!

Peace and Grace,
Lucy

KimR

Pyramid

Unread post by KimR » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:47 am

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:50 pm

We decided to build our pyramid out of Legos since my ds likes them so much. After we finished, I ran upstairs to take care of some things. Eventually he called me down to show me his additions to the pyramid. He had added a valley temple, a pathway leading to the pyramid, and the best part...there sat our cat lying perfectly looking like a Sphinx! LOL!
I just HAD to share that with you guys!
Kim ~ Wife of Mike; Mother of Matthew (21) and Tyler (12) Currently using RTR <><

Suzq

Pyramid

Unread post by Suzq » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:49 am

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:09 pm

We did the sugar cube thing yesterday as well and my kids said the same thing about it being a waste of sugar -- of course they were hoping the pyramid would not take up the whole box so they could try one lump or two in the tea we had after we were finished. Funny! I guess it is not a waste when you eat it yourself!

My son made a pyramid out of legos too -- he put jewels and a sarcophagus on the inside that we can just barely see when we look in the door.

We are very much enjoying MFW!!
mom to ds(1995) & ds(1998)

"His grace is sufficient"

Heather (WI)

Map of the Middle East

Unread post by Heather (WI) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:50 am

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:17 pm

I did the map even easier, and just looked up an outline map of the Middle East today online, and we labeled that!! ;o)

Hope this helps!!

Tina

Map of the Middle East & Sugar Cube Pyramid

Unread post by Tina » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:51 am

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:54 pm

Hi: We did the map of the middle east today. It was neat doing it on the copy of the map that we have been using for ancient egypt and mesopotamia because the children were able to see how the "then" land is "today's" land. Drawing the boundary lines was a bit challenging but my older child (10) did it with confidence and understanding. My 8 yo ds needed some assistance with the boundary lines but could very much understand that ancient egypt was really right there on the Nile.

Good visual.

The sugar cube pyramid was fun to make. We also enjoyed a video by reading rainbow based on a mummy book by Aliki. The dc enjoyed that. It mentioned and showed the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and since we are so close to Boston (almost 2 hrs away, we live in MA) they are now asking to go to the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston to see the ancient egypt display. I don't know if I will make it all the way there, however, a smaller museum that is closer has some of museum of fine art's stuff on egypt displayed, and its a lot closer than Boston!

Enjoying this study!

ChristyH

Book suggestions

Unread post by ChristyH » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:05 pm

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:13 am

As I don't have CTG, I am not sure if it isn't already in the book basket.

It is DK Experience (series), Pyramid by Peter Chrisp. I saw it on the shelf at the library and thought it looked neat.

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:17 am by ChristyH

I am reading Egyptian Diary, The Journal of Nakht by Richard Platt, to the children as a read aloud for our Egypt part. It covers a lot of customs from that time really well and is a fairly quick read. Lots of fun pictures. It will take us about two weeks to read because I only read four pages a day.

I wanted to read the Golden Goblet but with reading Tanglewood's Secret it was just too much.

Lainie

CtG Reed boat precaution-updated pics there now

Unread post by Lainie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi all,
So far our school year has provided a few "don't do as I did" moments. I hope my antics benefit someone out there.

We did our reed boat today. For some reason the simplified version listed in TM didn't register in my brain. We did the project in the Ancient Egypt Book. We bought the dried grasses at Michael's and they worked fine. What I didn't think about was the fact that dried grasses can evoke an allergic reaction. Working with grasses (and they got everywhere) and breathing it all in caused my throat to burn and close up a bit.

We cut our project a little short but it still turned out nice. I just wanted to give y'all a heads up if you had allergies to be careful. Allergies can be dangerous.

Here's pic of the boat.

It did float by the way- It was pretty hilarious. :)
Last edited by Lainie on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

Julie - Staff

Question: CTG pyramid activity - SUGAR CUBES

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:24 pm

Toni@homezcool4us wrote:Ugh! I can't find sugar cubes anywhere. If you couldn't find sugar cubes and you don't have any of those starchy noodle thingies on hand, then just what exactly does one build a pyramid out of? HELP!
Postby Julie in MN » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:45 am
Legos
Wood blocks
The paper one in the CTG manual (cardstock)
Cardboard
Cans of soup

Postby Jenn in NC » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:40 am

At the walmart in my area the sugar cubes were on the very top shelf and not so easy to see. And the box was smaller than I imagined it would be -- maybe that is why I had a hard time finding it?

I like Julie's lego idea

Postby mamaofredheads » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:52 am
Agreeing with Jenn. My Walmart had them, but in a hard to find spot. That was over a year ago for us, but I'm pretty sure I had to ask an employee and they found them for me.

Julie in MN

Golden Goblet heads up

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:57 pm

I have a suggestion regarding one of the recommended books in week 4 - The Golden Goblet.

My son & I recommend that you do NOT read the back cover -- or virtually any description of the book -- because all of them are "spoilers." The back cover of our version told about events that happen in chapter 10! You will definitely lose a lot of the drama if you read almost any summary of this book. So you might want to avoid descriptions & even tape a piece of paper over your back cover saying "spoiler alert!"

My son read this book in 7th grade with a local homeschool boys' book club. He really enjoyed it. It does have false beliefs, but none of them seem to really have any power. To ds, they were clearly of no use to the characters.

Also, ds needed the first chapter to be read aloud. He needed help getting into the unfamiliar setting, characters, and names. But then, he's not much of a natural reader. Starting the book together helped really "hook" him :o)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

CTG - Weeks 4 & 5

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:26 am

Week 4 - Coloring Pages

When we came to the coloring pages in CTG, I allowed my son several options. He is not a coloring type, so he could --
- color only the brown sections of the page (or the most prominent color)
- use a "coloring stick" to color large swabs of the page (a colored pencil without the wood around it)
- make his own page by typing up similar information that he had learned and adding a google image or a photo of something he'd done along the same lines as the topic of the coloring page.

Week 5 - Pyramids

My son made the pyramid in the manual, but then he made pyramids out of everything he could find in the house -- wood blocks, legos, duplos... We took a photo of his Valley of Kings.

LA in Baltimore

Re: CTG - Weeks 4 & 5

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:47 pm

Our science experiment on testing the strength of a pyramid vs. a cube went well today.
Two things I would change for next time:
1) We used the reusable plasti-tak mentioned, but it was very stiff. (Couldn't find the brand I used to
use, so got what was available at the local store. :~ )
Next time, I'd use a more pliable material to connect the straws. Maybe playdough?
and
2) I'd use thinner straws. We had a few different size straws and the thinner straws worked better.

Happy pyramid building!
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

Teresa in TX

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:36 pm

Ds and I looked at the description of the reed boat and neither of us were that enthused with it. I remembered that when they had gone through the ancients at a younger age, we had made a model of he Nile River in one of those really big aluminum pans. You fill it with potting soil or dirt, then you wedge out a Nile River in the middle, long ways. After that, you lay down foil in the river bed and make sure you make the Delta part at the end. Then you pour pebbles into the river bed to make sure and hold down the foil. Then you sprinkle grass seed just along the edge of the Nile, to represent the flood area. Then every few days you "flood" the Nile and see how that grass grows along the Nile. We are going to make mini reed boats and some pyramids. I'm planning to put a top layer of sand along the top. We're trying it tomorrow. I'd like to find some mini palm trees to fill in here and there.
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:07 pm

FYI - Sugar Cube Pyramid...
A 1 pound box of sugar cubes will make 3 pyramids (with 6 X 6 base stated in TM) with some cubes left over for eating.
If you increase the base to 8 X 8 you can make 3 pyramids with 2 boxes of sugar.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

Julie in MN

Re: Week 4 CtoG Egyptian Crowns

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:53 am

angelsoup wrote:Help! My mind is a blank and I can't find a pattern online no matter how many different ways I google it. My son is driving me nuts with wanting to make these crowns. Did anyone make a pattern or have a link to one or did I miss something in the books/TM? I am usually pretty good at winging it but not today. Thanks!
We had a pattern from a book. Maybe your library would have it? It was called "Ancient Egypt Activity Book, Hands-On Heritage, by Edupress, by Robin Hamilton."

I just happen to have my CTG guide handy (with the note above), since we are reviewing some things during Bible time. Maybe later I can dig up a photo. It really was two simple pieces of long construction paper, one red and one white, which were both put one-inside-the-other in the end (like wearing 2 paper Burger King crowns inside one another).

edited to add:
Some photos of the crown(s) can be found using google images
http://www.bensoncountynews.com/images/ ... terman.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/ ... ber070.jpg
http://www.dignubia.org/maps/timeline/bce-3400.htm
http://www.youregypt.com/ehistory/histo ... edynastic/
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _crown.svg

You can also find ancient relics showing the two crowns being combined, but they always seem to include immodest women & such :(

But again ours looked a little more like Burger King crowns, with a long piece of construction paper wrapped around the head and stapled together :)
http://www.davealpert.com/blog/wp-conte ... n_Full.jpg

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Debra,

I know we winged it because that was the week we were packing things and moving from Indiana. I have daughters, so we have play crowns all over the place. :) So, we just tossed some red construction paper around one of them. then in a moving box they went. sad but true.

take a look at page 16 of Ancient Egypt for some ideas.

Take white paper and fold it over and put tape or staple. Leave a gap similar to p. 16 of Ancient Egypt (oh I hope those page numbers haven't changed in all of these years... it's the page called From Pharaoh to Laborer

do similar thing with Red paper.
if that picture doesn't help, perhaps it doesn't have to be "egyptian" style. You might google on
paper crown pattern

and enjoy something that way. I see that something from "akidsheart" dot com has something with Purim crowd pattern.
but it can be as simple as a 8.5 x 11 piece of paper and just folded over the head in order to make a crown like the ones shown in Ancient Egypt book. no pattern needed.
-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:24 pm

You can check what we did at my blog below...

I looked in the ancient Egypt book and decided to just make it simple.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

angelsoup

Unread post by angelsoup » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:54 pm

I feel like the cavalry has come to the rescue! Trish, a picture is worth a thousand words. Tell your kids I learned something from their school. Thanks.

I wanted to share what a friend of mine sent to me. She doesn't use MFW. I hope this helps someone like it did me.
Debra
  • http://www.egyptologyonline.com/pharaoh's_crowns.htm
    You may have already seen this above site. I don't have a crown pattern in MOH, but I did look in my activity book for SOTW, Volume I and this is advice for the White Crown of Upper Egypt...

1. Wrap wax paper around your head to make a cone shape. Tape the edges, then cut off any excess.
    2. Scrunch an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper into an egg shape.
    3. Push the ball of paper into the peak of the cone, and gently mould the waxed paper around it. This should result in a cone with a flattened top and an indent at the bottom of the egg shaped top.
    4. Cut the bottom of the cone so it fits nicely on your head. Then, cut an area around the ear.

Sorry...there is no photo in the book!
    Brooke
Debra
Mom to William (13) and Joshua (11)
MFW Adventures '06-'07
ECC '07-'08
Back to the Basics '08-'09
CtoG '09-'10

tjkluse

Unification of Egypt Video

Unread post by tjkluse » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:10 am

We're having such a good time with CtG that I've been trying to really photograph our experience so the kids can look back and rememebr. Whe the guide book suggested dramatizing the uniting of Egypt the kids didn't seem overly enthusiastic until I mentioned that we could video tape it. Well, that was the ticket. They thought it was a great idea nd they took off running.
I told them they had the remainer of the day to figure out what they wanted to do and film it. I was really impressed with what htey came up with. They even added little jokes to their 'script'
My older son did most of the filming and then edited it. It was his first experience with iMovie. It's here if anyone is interested in taking a look:

http://nowboardinggate3.blogspot.com/20 ... egypt.html

Enjoy.

doubleportion

CTG Sugar Cubes

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon May 10, 2010 3:27 pm

I can't find sugar cubes. Did anyone have luck finding them in a strange out of the way place? I have looked at our local Walmart and Kroger. I don't have a huge amount of time to run and look at too many other places. Other ideas? Did others do this with something else, with success? BTW I have a dd but we do have some legos. I have thought of doing it with legos but not sure what size. What is the size of a sugar cube?
Edie
cbollin wrote:Schnucks in Memphis had one brand.

another idea --- do you have unit cubes from C. Rods, or other brand of math cubes? You wouldn't glue them together of course... but those work too. My kiddos did both this year. But agreeing with you --- around our neck of the woods, there were harder to find.

-crystal
hmmm no Schnucks here. That's okay.

I have a small C Rod set. I will have to look at it and maybe secretly make one and see if I have enough.
Julie in MN wrote:I thought they were on our grocery shelf but tucked below or above where I usually look at baking type things? Or was it the coffee aisle? I'll have to look again when I go, but you might try asking a knowledgeable person at a grocery.
Julie
I looked in both those areas here. Rather lacking in variety in our small town even in big chains store that would carry much more in larger cities.
TriciaMR wrote:At our local Kroger (King Soopers), they're in the baking aisle over by the chocolate chips, baking powder - maybe one shelf down from the top? The bags of sugar are also on that same side, only on the very bottom shelf. Ours were the G&H brand pink, blue and white on the box. I always ask a staffer for help if I can't find something.

They cubes are about 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch.
-Trish
Thanks! That's the info I needed!
We will try another medium and see what we come up with.
Thank you all!

:)
Edie

jasntas

Re: CTG Sugar Cubes

Unread post by jasntas » Mon May 10, 2010 6:05 pm

Hmm...My local grocery store (Save Mart) carries them in two locations actually. They are in the baking goods isle. They are on a lower shelf. And they are on the coffee isle. On a higher shelf. I originally had a hard time finding them too. Our Wal Mart didn't carry them either.

We are not in CTG but used them for a science experiment in ADV. Funny my dh used them for his coffee when we were finished with them and I just discovered we would have been able to use them again for an igloo for ECC. And now I know we will need them again in CTG. At least I know where to find them now. ;)

I hope you are successful at finding them locally as well. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi! We had a lot of fun with pyramids in Week 5! We could never find any sugar cubes locally, so we used Legos to build pyramids - which the children were more than happy to work on while I did some reading aloud to them! I've posted pictures of these and some of the experiments that we did about pyramids, too, on my blog. Just click on the link below to find them. We love true "hands-on" learning time!

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Lizzy

Tanglewoods Secret - Suggested Reading

Unread post by Lizzy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:25 am

I just finished reading the Tanglewoods Secret suggested reading book. I never would have picked this book up off the shelf, had never heard about it. It was the most amazingly wonderful book. Such a wonderful message at the kids level about faith, accepting Christ and love. I was choked up reading towards the end. Thank you for the recommendation! I will definitely be passing this one on to others. What a treasure.

pollysoup

Unread post by pollysoup » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:53 pm

I wanted to share this link to make an Egyptian Double Crown simply (week 4 day 2). I just guessed at the pattern and it has turned out well.

[ search YouTube for History Projects: Make an Egyptian Double Crown schoolebooks ]