Ideas for Fall Feasts & Holy Days in CTG

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
cbollin

CTG feast, encouragement

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:07 pm

I wanted to post this to help anyone who might be nervous or overwhelmed about doing so many feasts in a short amount of time in the first weeks of CTG. I want to praise God for how HE has allowed my family to do these feasts in the midst of a very busy season of our lives.

I would have never thought I could have done the feasts this year. But I really wanted to try. The first time we did CTG, we read about them only. I was nervous about it. My dh wasn't sure that I wouldn't be overwhelmed. (5 years ago, I had a 9 y.o, 5 y.o (with language delays) and the youngest, was 2 and just been diagnosed with autism.) Life was hectic then. So, my oldest and I just read parts of the feast book. Well, except for feast of booths - we made a tent and had a snack while reading.

but, so far this year (I'm in week 3 of CTG) this is what I've been able to do with God's help. I hope it brings encouragement to anyone who gets as easily overwhelmed as I do or gives ideas on how to scale back to at least try one and read the others or something. I planned none of this with much advanced thinking. So I know it's a God story that it happened.

Week 1: I posted this already. and wanted to give the link.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 622#p52622
My husband was not able to join us. He already started his job in the other state. So, I did the readings. But we made 2 nice simple suppers at one time. My daughter made a pot of her famous chicken noodle soup as we all that all weekend. We read the material while eating. Did a nice supper that night.

Now, did we completely relax on that sabbath celebration? are you kidding? I'm selling a house and we had a showing that day oy! giggle. but it was nice to have a meal together at the table that we keep staged. I highly recommend doing the Sabbath meal/prayers even if you scale back and have to do it as lunch because you have to clean the house for an afternoon showing. I did it that way. It was really a blessing to take the time (even though it wasn't the whole day) to rest.

Week 3, we did a condensed Rosh Hashanah and just did it yesterday. Our celebration was out of sequence from the manual. Did it on Tuesday for supper instead of Friday. Why? well, uhm, because I bought the food on Tuesday and it looked good and I wanted to eat it and I knew the grape juice wouldn't last in this house until Friday. well, it's true.
Yes, that's means that my kids did have a regular school day instead of a holiday. So, they didn't get a feel for that. But we were having a party for supper. We had a lot of fun. I used Julie's idea of a glass Coke bottle for the shofar. worked great. What I really liked? There was a menu in the book and I didn't have to think much about what to plan to eat. I modified as followed:
1. apples in honey (that's a must for this feast/supper)
2. glazed carrots, and green beans too.
3. fruit bowl (well, we needed a fruit bowl in the kitchen for staging purposes)
4. bought a pineapple and it is now a display item in my very staged dining room
5. left over roast beef for the kids. Single serving of salmon for me. We left out the fish head as my dh is still in another state. But, because it was funny to us and brought back memories, we called him on the phone, told him what we were doing and we sang an old song that is all about Fish Heads. LOL. Ok, no email on that, please. I bet my kids will remember it.
6. regular round bread (we made ours, but bakery item would work, or even if you had to get can of biscuits and keep it close together to look round)
7. we didn't do the "honey" cake. Instead, I got very cheap banana nut muffin mix and we put a touch on honey on the muffins. and candles to blow out.

as Chef Tell used to say in the 1970's - very simple. very easy.

Yes, it was a fancy dinner for us for a Tuesday, but worth it. We read the stuff in the book while at the table. Well, at least once we stopped laughing at the Fish Heads song. not the most respectful thing to sing, but our family needed the laughter and memories. But for the prayers, I would read a small section out loud and the girls would echo that part. We really enjoyed this meal last night as we prayed for daddy's year. I'm so glad we did this yesterday.

If you had to simplify this for whatever reason:

1. go with blowing a few party horns, or Coke bottle,
2. at least read the scripture and script
3. apples in honey, and fresh fruit , and grape juice
4. try to have it in a pretty setting if possible.
but if it has to happen in the middle of the school day as snack time.....
and as it says in the CTG manual, not all of the section of the Feasts book is scheduled for this. I didn't do it all.

this was worth doing. Keeping the coke bottle nearby to blow it to announce the start of school day for the next few days as scheduled for the quick minute in the manual.

so what will we do for week 4's feast, Yom Kippur?
probably read the book, definitely take a special offering. not sure on the fast details (it will be modified for certain). But planning to pray for the kids.
so that's not going to be too hard to do. It will not be the same as if we were observing it for real. But for academic purposes, it'll do. ideal? no. real world.

week 5 Ok. so that leaves me wondering if I can do the other feast (feast of booths) within the next 2 weeks before we pack up and move. hmmm.... if we keep on schedule, week 5, Feast of Booths will happen as we pack and move.
now, I plan to just celebrate that feast here before moving and just have a snack in the play tents before they are packed in a box. But the timing of it is amusing me to no end.

week 6: ending of Sukkoth? (festival of booths) as I read the description and see the timing, I imagine that we'll eat carry out in a tent made from bed blankets. or possibly in a hotel room while on the road.

I hope to be able to share how that 4th fall feast ends up. I would have never imagined any of this. But with the CTG plans, it really holds your hand through it. Thanks Marie!

Postby cbollin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:34 pm
week 4: ok.. it looks like I never updated how Yom Kippur went. it was a Tuesday for lunch. actually, we fasted for 30- or 45 minutes and delayed lunch and read the materials.

week 5 and 6: was on our new porch with a ton of moving boxes around. read the materials. had snacks on the porch. poured water outside.

then... spring came.... I bet I have reports of that. I remember our seder dinner. LOL LOL LOL..... total improv on it. for bitter things, it was coffee beans. LOL LOL

kellybell

Re: CTG feast, encouragement

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:42 am

Crystal,
Great ideas and great attitudes.

The feasts CAN seem so overwhelming, but are so worth it. They don't have to be fancy or time-consuming, just meaningful.

Also, if you know someone else doing CTG or otherwise studying the feasts, go in with them and share the effort and ideas.

We had a great time doing the feasts at home when we did CTG. We did most everything simple. We made our own challah (dd really wanted to do that) but nearly everything else was simplified.

If you want to align your celebrations with the Jewish calendar you might be able to celebrate with some Jews, whether messianic or not. We've enjoyed going to the local messianic synagogue a few times (they welcome visitors) and our church had a nice seder this year too.

It is worth doing these feasts as they are much more memorable than just reading about them.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

my3boys

Re: CTG feast, encouragement

Unread post by my3boys » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:58 am

Thanks for the posts Chrystal. I've been getting things ready to start in August and feeling anxious about how it will all come together - and I keep recalling a couple of things that you've said over the past couple of weeks that were very encouraging. BTW, my kids sing the fish head song too :)
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

hsmomof5

Re: Ideas for Fall Feasts & Holy Days in CTG

Unread post by hsmomof5 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:50 am

~Kysha
ds 19 (college freshman), ds 12, ds 12, and ds 10 (ECC '08) (CTG '09), dd 3 (Preschool)

dhudson

sukkoth and lousy weather?

Unread post by dhudson » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:02 am

my3boys wrote:So those of you who did it indoors did you leave it up and eat in it all week like it said to in the book or did you just do a night or two? I would like to do the celebration justice. We don't have a basement or out of the way place to do it in the house and I have therapists coming into my house to work with my son through the week - I had thought of setting up our tent and putting our dining room table into it, but then I was imaging me trying to explain to everyone why we had our tent set up in the dining room (it's a really big tent).

My sons told a woman at the YMCA last weekend (who knew we weren't jewish) that we were fasting for the day of attonement and were going to be breaking the fast that evening with bacon and eggs - I am sure she was having 'crazy homeschoolers' thoughts - my husband insisted on having bacon :)
We just made our dining room into a sukkoth and left it up. I have a friend who draped material off the ceiling and walls and then put flowering vines on it. It was beautiful enough to be kept up for a week or two or forever...

Lots of people think we are crazy home schoolers. You should have seen the looks at church when my kids described how their Dad woke them up every morning with a shofar and yelling "Arise and awake....". :-) Ah well, at least my kids have interesting stories to tell.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

RBS in OH

CtG- Rosh Hashanah dinner

Unread post by RBS in OH » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:27 pm

my3sons wrote:We are going to celebrate Rosh Hashanah tomorrow night and I was just wondering if you had any tips you would like to share! I am thinking we will meet dh at a nearby park and do the stone throwing at the pond there, then come back and have dinner.

With the honey cakes, what fruit juice did you use for the frosting? I am thinking lemon, but wanted to see what you all had tried.
Hi! I like your plan to do the stone-throwing at the onset of your celebration. We had 3 of our grandchildren (also doing CTG) with us for a week during this time and didn't get around to doing it.

Lemon juice on the honeycakes sounds delicious; OJ is used in baking sometimes-I think that would be good too. We didn't make it though; one of the kids with us needs a gluten-free diet so we served apples and honey in place of it. It was a fun symbolic way to wish each other a "sweet New Year." The kids also had fun making the "Apple and Honey Dish" project from one of the book basket craft books.

...Oh, and we all went apple picking (which we love to do every year, but made a point to fit it in that weekend because of the celebration).

...Not any tips really, just sharing what we did. Enjoy your celebration! Shonah Tovah U' Metukah! (Rosh Hoshanah greeting-I'm sure it's spelled wrong....and is anyone else besides me having trouble pronouncing these Hebrew words?!? I like it when some of the books provide pronunciation helps.)
Rachel

ds(14) 8) and dd(14) ;)
We've enjoyed ADV, ECC (2 times), CTG, RTR, EX-1850, 1850-MOD--and now AHL this year!

Carina

Re: CtG- Rosh Hashanah dinner

Unread post by Carina » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Here's the Honey Cake recipe that we used. I was given it by a Jewish friend who makes it for Passover! :)

Honey Cake with Lemon Glaze

2 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup coffee, room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, honey and vegetable oil until smooth.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add half of this mixture to the honey mixture, followed by the coffee and the remaining dry ingredients. Stir until smooth.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks, then fold them into the honey batter. Make sure the egg whites are completely incorporated and the batter is uniform in color when finished.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Turn cake out of pan, remove parchment paper and reinvert on a wire to cool completely. If you will not be serving the cake right away, store it in an airtight container when cool.
Top cake with lemon glaze (recipe below) and let it set before serving.
Serves 10.
Lemon Glaze
1 cup powdered/confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
lemon juice (fresh, if possible)
In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Add enough lemon juice to make the icing spreadable, but not too runny (start with 1-2 tbsp and add more if necessary. You can always add a bit of extra sugar to thicken it if you add too much) and stir until very smooth. Spread on top of cake. Allow to set for at least 20-30 minutes before slicing.
Carina
Wife to David
Mom to Brigit (12th grade), Ian (10th grade), Grant (8th grade) and Colette (2nd grade)

2010-2011: CTG
2011-2012: RTR

2012-2013: AHL & EX1850
2013-2014: WHL & 1850-MOD
2014-2015: AHL & US1
2015-2016: WHL & US2

RachelT

Re: CtG- Rosh Hashanah dinner

Unread post by RachelT » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi! We did not do the stone throwing event, although it sounds fun! We did have the Rosh Hashanah meal and Honey Loaf. My husband made a wonderful icing out of orange juice and powdered sugar. He can whip up almost anything in the kitchen, for real! I don't know how he made it!

Here is a link to where I posted photos of this meal on my blog:
http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogs ... weeks.html

I couldn't attach the files of the photos here directly. Maybe later...
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

cbollin

More Feasts questions - CTG

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Cyndi (AZ) wrote:Our family is going to be really busy for the next month or so (even more than usual). We are definitely having school everyday - no issues there, but I'm thinking we can't possibly be successful in the Feasts on Friday nights and/or weekends.

Can I reschedule the fall Feasts from wks 3-6 to wks 7-9 without messing up the school schedule? Are they tied-in to the curriculum in some way, relating to the history, or just added in? I'd have to flip back in the manual to get the assignments done, but that's not too hard. I just don't want to do it if they are weaved into the topics in some way that isn't obvious at first glance.

The week of Rosh Hashanah, dd will be staying with her grandparents. I could give them some info and have them do that "feast" with her while we're gone. She'll be on a break from school otherwise. Then we'll be starting back to school in October and could do the feasts much easier then -- before the busyness of the holiday season hits us! :~

Does that sound OK? (*why* am I freaking out over these feasts again?!) I need to sit down with some books and just read ahead and get comfortable with this year, but I haven't had time for that yet - so far, it's been open up and teach. (And oddly enough, school is going really, really well for us. Coincidence?)
(((Hugs)))

The feasts are not tied to the history. In other words, they are not scheduled while you study Exodus or anything.
There are stand alone unit studies to be tied thematically to OT culture, not necessarily tied to chronological history. Scheduled in the CTG manual at a time of year when plenty of homeschool families would start a school year and have those fall feasts in the fall, almost sorta kinda near the real calendar time. Spring feasts - you will actually schedule yourself based on the calendar. There's notes for it in the manual, but not "do this this week of the program"

so, move them as you see the need.
-crystal

C4Car

Re: More Feasts questions - CTG

Unread post by C4Car » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:19 pm

Just letting you know we are in the exact place that you are. :) Our schedule is sooo busy for the next 8 weeks or so. Something on every weekend. I was just going to celebrate the feasts the first weekend that we could, because I dont want to skip them. Our schedule slows down mid Oct and Nov so we will do them at that time.

So just encouragement that it should be ok and I will also be listening to others advice on this also.
Married to my wonderful husband for 19 years
Blessed with 2 great boys, ages 11 and 9
Have completed MFW K, MFW 1st, Adv, ECC,CTG
2013-2014 RTR

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:42 pm

Wow! This has been such an interesting thread to me. I have been so stressed over the feasts. I was originally excited about them when I first got the curriculum in May but then all summer long all I did was worry about how I was going to pull them off. Now I find that we are so busy every weekend either Friday or Saturday or both, that I can't seem to figure out how to work them in. My dh has been preaching at a church that has a Saturday evening service and that really messes us up right now. He works a full time secular job also 5+ days a week so we really only have Sundays most weeks which messes up the sundown to sundown stuff. He and I both really wanted him to be a part of the celebrations as well.

I recently decided, after much worry and then prayer ( I know, I had it backwards) and lengthy discussions with my dh that I would just do the feasts if/when time allows. I have reasoned that my dd will repeat CTG and we will do the feasts then. We are reading and talking about the feasts including some of the books from book basket.

I am assuming for those of you that have completed CTG without the feasts that you still had a full year and that the feasts just add enrichment to the program. Is this so?
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:11 pm

jasntas wrote:I am assuming for those of you that have completed CTG without the feasts that you still had a full year and that the feasts just add enrichment to the program. Is this so?
When I did CTG the first time, that was my experience. We did read about the feasts in the book though. But we barely did anything. I remember that year God put it on the heart of the Sunday School teacher to do a group seder near Passover in class for the children. So in my homeschool book, I put a check mark.

from a homeschool, curriculum point of view, it is my opinion that if you don't do the feast, it is ok b/c they are stand alone built in "units" to study. Much like if you don't get all of the art lessons done that year.

From a different perspective... find a way to do a small version in some way when you can - even if the feasts of booth is just holding school outside at a park under a picnic table one day and read the material. nothing to build or prep... just go to the park and sit together outside.

check this thread link for some super duper scaled back ideas that I had to do when it was the girls and me and a house on the market.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =25#p53005

I found something that we did in spring feast with the final one. here..... no special day needed, just count 50 days after passover and .... just what did God tell me last year about the day of pentecost and first fruits and translations in tongues....
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 54&#p58863

think of them as extra hands on stuff and projects. if needed, scale back or skip. try to do what you can. read a bit... or something or don't sweat it.

and coke bottles make good enough shofar!

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:29 pm

jasntas wrote:I am assuming for those of you that have completed CTG without the feasts that you still had a full year and that the feasts just add enrichment to the program. Is this so?
What we did was "ease into" the feasts. I posted about it somewhere, maybe here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 313#p50313

1. Skip
2. Attend "someone else's service" at Messianic congregation
3. Participate in parts of a feast, such as building a tabernacle of blankets and having fake wine in there
4. Participate in more parts of the spring feasts, including waking up with trumpets (blowing on a glass coke bottle) and making the announcements, gluing on the barley, and really starting to understand the connections to Jesus

And you know, when I look back at my son's "notebook pages" he made on the feasts, I see it was there. I had a question on there something like, "What are the sights and sounds of this feast?" He always had things to say. It was an experience at a child's level. And it was accomplishing what the feasts were intended for -- remembering God's awesome acts.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

CTG- Biblical Feasts introductory info?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:06 pm

mom2h wrote:The Biblical Feasts book is more an adult/informational book and does not 'read" well for the kids.
Any suggestions for explanation to the kiddos? We don't have ANY options available from the Book Basket list.
Thanks,
Rhonda H
Hi Rhonda,
I remember just reading the idea of watching Fiddler on the Roof (4Truth):
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 852#p78852
The beginning of the movie is all about finishing your work and preparing for the Sabbath.

And if you scroll back up that thread to the top, Jen (Poohbee) posted about how well prepared her children were throughout the week. I think just the preparation activities are part of the lesson. Maybe Jen will chime in here?!

Julie

cbollin

Re: CTG- Biblical Feasts introductory info?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:12 pm

I would probably just read from the CTG manual to them in the week 1 Prep section, first paragraph.
the ctg manual does suggest that parent skim and retell the info instead of it being a read aloud to the children. so I wouldn't worry too much on that.
also read out loud the Friday daily notes.

I might suggest also reading out loud from Exodus 16, or 20..and maybe a few passages in Luke 23:53-56 ish where they didn't do work on Sabbath right after Jesus's death. or from John 19. or maybe the Lord of the Sabbath passages such as Mt chapter 12, Mark 2 Luke 6.
that might give your children just enough information to know that this was something important.

the details in the book are for parents.

edit to add: ah.. julie was typing too.... time to go youtube fiddler on the roof.... traditions... (who else thinks he looks like david hazell? anyone?) LOL LOL

-crystal

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi!

I decided, before we started our school year, to purchase a couple of the starred books from the TM Appendix, knowing that they would be wonderful references as we study the various Biblical feasts throughout the year. The books I purchased are:

The Family Treasury of Jewish Holidays, by Malka Drucker
Milk and Honey: A Year of Jewish Holidays, by Jane Yolen
Celebrate! Stories of the Jewish Holidays, by Gilda Berger (I already had)

Each of these three books had something different and unique to offer in explaining the Sabbath. One talked about what is considered work and what is not considered work. One described some of the foods that are eaten, and had a couple of great crafts and activities, including a spice box made from an egg carton and a recipe for kugel. Each one had something different to offer, and each one explained how and why the Sabbath is celebrated.

I read aloud from each of these three books during the week leading up to our Sabbath celebration, and I felt both my children and I had a wonderful understanding of the Sabbath when it was time for the actual celebration.

I would highly recommend these three books to help you in your preparations for the Sabbath and the other Biblical feasts.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

mom2h

Unread post by mom2h » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:19 am

These are great and helpful suggestions! Thank you all so much.
We did go ahead and watch "Fiddler on the Roof last night." Excellent Sabbath scene. We didn't get finished, though, since it is over 3 hours. I forgot that!
I will print these answers and go look up the passages and mark the TM for further discussion. We won't do our Sabbath celebration until next weekend, so I have some time daily next week to go over a few parts a day. I think it will be just the right prep.

i {heart} the mfw mb!
Rhonda

momma2boys

Unread post by momma2boys » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:19 am

We moved our Sabbath to Saturday/Sunday so our younger son (who is in public school) could participate fully in the preparations as well. On Saturday, we cleaned house, made the challah (one wheat and one gluten-free) and watched Fiddler on the Roof (with many breaks because it's lllloooooonnnnnnggggg!). It really does have a great Sabbath scene. Then as we were setting the table in the afternoon, we mentioned the meaning of each piece on the table - candles, wine, water bowl, bread and cover. Throughout our preparations, we talked about Jewish culture, etc. It was enough preparation for our family... without being too much for the kids to take in. :) They loved it so much that they requested we do it every month!
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

Julie in MN

Curious (CTG Feasts)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:35 am

Erna wrote:I am just wondering if there are any families out there that have made the Jewish feasts part of their yearly celebrations after doing CTG. We just finished a simple Rosh Hashanah today (even though it is officially on Monday). The children had fun and I sometimes think adding these holidays to our year might be a neat way of keeping our eyes on Jesus and what He has done and will do. I might keep it simple while they are young and add to it as they get older. We don't do well with scripted passages but reading the Word and praying or speaking from the heart while keeping to the meaning of things would be doable.
We haven't exactly, but we have had our eyes more open to opportunities around us and understood their significance more after doing CTG as a family. For example, we've been invited to a Jewish family Passover. We've also watched videos and had extra books in our book basket over the years, and set out a few decorative items we have from CTG. I think we've also taken our "day of rest" a little more seriously since getting to know the Sabbath.

The spring feasts especially seem to come up in regards to the Christian celebrations of The Last Supper (Passover), the Resurection (Counting the Omer), and Pentecost (Pentecost or Feast of Weeks).

So maybe you will notice more opportunities now, both at home and in your community. I've also read posts by MFW families who incorporated them more into their family traditions. For instance, this post (she has an extra incentive, since she has a Jewish heritage):
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 5237#p5237

I loved your question, and still hope to hear about some family traditions that have emerged.
Julie

cbollin

Re: Curious (CTG Feasts)

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:23 pm

joyfulmom wrote:I have another question - we will be starting CTG probably in Dec or Jan (changed curriculum halfway through the year last year and are finishing up ECC right now) - anyway, are the feasts scheduled in the curriculum to fit the calender? In other words, is our discussion/celebration of each feast going to be way off in terms of the time it is celebrated?
feast timing...

DON'T WORRY. ;) I started in July one year and it didn't bother me that things weren't studied when they fell on a lunar based calendar. Yes.. we studied and did our hands on Rosh Hashanah feast/lesson in July! It never hits in July... but I started school that year in July.....

In the most ideal setting that would make the envy of all bloggers, someone would super plan and organize and check ahead on fall festivals.... but they aren't fixed dates each year.... so.. no one had to think, ok..... evening of Sept. 16 (tonight?) can now count back 3 weeks and that's when I can start school? But people next year have to start school 3 weeks before Thursday Sept 5, 2013? NO NO NO !

no.... you start school when you start school. you get to the stand alone units on feasts..you make decision....
1. do it when it's in the manual and don't worry. really... don't worry.. ok... really...
2. save it and do it when it hits on calendar if you prefer to do that for any reason...

The order of festivals is that fall festivals are in "first semester". RH - week 3, followed a week later (not the 10 days later, but one school week later) for YK... then 5 days later the other fall feast. But it would be complicated to have someone think they had to delay school or start sooner over this....

does that help give you freedom to do it when it works? it will be ok.

well.. I'm off to the parody of party rock anthem... "rosh hashanah's in the house tonight...." (well, not mine.. but the song is)
-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:38 pm

well, last night at bedtime my dd sat up and yelled, "MOM!!! It's Rosh Hashanah and we didn't have apples and honey!!!"

I told her it's a 2-day holiday and we could do it tomorrow (today).

We also have latkes every Hannukuh and play a game of spinning the dreidel. But we did those things before we ever did CTG. I don't think we'll add any of the other feasts to our family traditions.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:00 pm

We have Matzo Ball Soup on occasion now, but that's about it.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

thelapps

How do YOU do Sukkoth?

Unread post by thelapps » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:17 am

I've been using the suggested menus for the other feasts -from the book Celebrating Biblical Feasts. (With a house full of boys, food goes over quite well! :-) )

We fixed us up a blankets-between-trees sukkah. Strung a rope around and used clothespins to fasten blankets to the rope. Held the bottom down with chunks of fire wood. Then we put two citronella torches within the walls and set the picnic table with an umbrella inside so there is somewhat of a roof besides the tree leaves. It really does shake in the wind! It's fun.

Blessings!
Marie
Marie Lapp
5 sons using WHL; AHL; & RTR

tiffanys

Suggestion for CtG - note booking pages for the feasts

Unread post by tiffanys » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:40 pm

We are in week 5 of CtG and I absolutely adore it. Hands down our best year yet. Thank you so much!

I would love to see a note booking page about each of the feasts/Jewish holidays. I'm going to have my boys write about each feast and what we did, what the Bible says about it, what it commemorates, etc., but I'd love for there to be a great preformatted note booking sheet in the student pages. I love the drawings of the feasts in the TM (the one for Sabbath and the one for Sukkoth) - maybe a picture similar to those? Or some prompted questions? Or a spot for the kids to draw their own feast or even to add a photo or their family celebrating the feast?

It's such an important part of the CtG year that I really would love to see a place for it in their history notebooks! Thanks for listening. =)
Julie in MN wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:26 pm
Hi Tiffany,
We did something like you are describing. It's a great idea. I should get out my son's notebook now and enjoy some fond memories :)

If you need some notebook starters, I remember posting the way we did it. I was big on notebooking, and my son often preferred making up his own notebook pages over using pre-made ones. Anyways, here is the template we started with for notebooking some of the feasts:
Julie in MN wrote:Some of the other names for this feast are...
The month of this feast for 2006 is...
Some of the reasons this feast is celebrated are...
The sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and feelings of this feast are...
The things used to celebrate this feast include...
The meaning of this feast to Christians is...
The meaning of this feast to Jews is..
The meaning of this feast to me is...

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 202#p65202
P.S. I always like giving credit where credit is due, and I vaguely remember getting a few CTG ideas from A Family Guide to the Biblical Holidays. Not sure if this was based on any of those ideas?
Thanks so much Julie! I think I am just going to create pages with open ended prompts just like what you just listed for me! We are really getting into note booking this year, but there is so much to the feasts that I want them to remember I think prompts may help direct their memory a bit. Most of our other note booking is completely from scratch, but I think I may want to make a template for these.

So I am totally going to borrow your ideas! ;)
Tiffany
Having a great year with Adventures with my two older boys - 3rd & 1st grades
With the world's chattiest 4 year old boy & his 2 year old sister tagging along

akoldenhoven

Re: Ideas for Fall Feasts & Holy Days in CTG

Unread post by akoldenhoven » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:08 pm

We have really enjoyed reading "All-of-a-Kind Family" and "All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown" by Sydney Taylor as read aloud books. They are delightful stories of a Jewish family living in East New York City around the time of the Industrial Revolution. So many of the Jewish feasts and Shabbat are mentioned and described in the books as part of their lives. It has help us understand how the feasts fit in with the "rhythm" of life in a Jewish home. Great stories as well!

There are other books in the series, but I haven't read them yet to know what they contain or if the feasts are mentioned.
Amanda K.
4th Grade son in CTG
Kindergarten daughter in A to Z