CTG - Week 1 (including the Sabbath & Creation)

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
Cyndi (AZ)

Re: another starting CTG question

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Amy C. wrote:P.S. to say that God is in control whether we find our Sabbat candles on sale or not, but I can't help but feel that that was His loving way of showing you His provision in all of this.
I think so too, Amy. Thanks! I'm feeling more blessed than stressed now. That's a good feeling!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

powersfam4

Eggless Challah Bread

Unread post by powersfam4 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:07 pm

I really want my son to be able to taste the Challah bread we make for the Sabbath this Friday, however, he is allergic to egg. After much research I came across a site that provides an eggless recipe for Challah bread. I wanted to share it on here in case there are other families out there that have egg allergies.

http://thejewishhostess.com/2011/02/all ... a-mission/

cbollin

CTG... Can we celebrate the Sabbath on Sat/Sun instead?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Suzbert wrote:Why do we have to do the Sabbath on Friday/Saturday, like the Jews? Since we are Christian, why not celebrate it on Sunday, or at least Saturday into Sunday?
You may do whatever you wish on it. It could even be a Monday-Tuesday.

I think part of the reasons are academic -
to show the differences on it and appreciate it (although some Christians do observe Saturday as Sabbath)
and that the idea of using a Friday for a lighter school day with a purpose to other things. Some families might choose to try to have the academic experience and cultural experience of the weekend.

It isn't anything more than that. so don't fret it.
Does that free you to do what you prefer?
so no, you don't "have" to - it's your home and school.

and to encourage you to be as flexible as you need to be...
2 years ago, even though Yom Kippur was scheduled in the plans on whichever day it was.... it worked better in our life and schedule to do a mini fast on the Tuesday of that CTG week. It was a 30 minute intentional fast and in the midst of selling a house. it was symbolism that day. :)

lots of flexibility to make it work best in your own home :)

-crystal

gratitude

Re: CTG... Can we celebrate the Sabbath on Sat/Sun instead?

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:52 pm

The thread looked interesting... my only experience comes from MFW1 when it is in the TM to do a Friday sabbath. My,then ds6 1/2, had a few ideas of his own... ;) already? He thought since we weren't Jewish, and are Christian, that we shouldn't do the sabbath on Friday. At this point my husband works on Saturdays so we would have to switch it for that reason as well.

We aren't to CTG yet; but we did do the sabbath activity in MFW1 and yes, it wasn't on Friday. We even currently live 3 miles outside of a town that shuts down everything for Sunday sabbath; so around here the Sunday sabbath for Christians is fairly obvious if we drive north or east. Then the memorization of 'Keep the Sabbath day holy we say.. (which actually of course was talking about a Saturday Sabbath) for K influenced him as well. So for us it was better to follow our own Sabbath (which we have always kept on Sunday) while acknowledging the Jewish traditions and how they honored the Sabbath.

As Crystal said it is your home school.. and one of the privileges of it being your home school is making it work for your family.

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: CTG... Can we celebrate the Sabbath on Sat/Sun instead?

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:00 am

You could absolutely observe sabbath whenever you want -- you are doing it for school, not actually following theJewish law. I thought it was really neat that Sunday morning activities were included in the TM/book as well, to celebrate Jesus' resurrection. It was a neat family weekend thing for us (especially after I relaxed about being so freaked by out by the whole thing).

asheslawson

Sabbath thoughts.... (CTG Week 1)

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm really looking forward to our sabbath celebration this weekend. In reading the scriptures again, I'm actually wondering, again (I've pondered this before), if christians are not intentional enough about our day of rest. I'm terribly guilty about getting caught up in busi-ness on Saturday & even Sunday. Soccer games, basketball games, catch up on house & laundry, kids birthday parties, wedding/baby showers, events at church, last minute planning for a lesson I'm teaching in church, grocery shopping, toe popped out of the front of my child's tennis shoe shopping, dog ran out of food & somebody forgot to let me know so back to store for 2nd time shopping....wow - definitely makes me wonder where I might have shoved God in the midst of all of this stuff that seems to happen...sometimes in groups of 3, 4 or even 5 of those things on one single weekend! It leaves me breathless. I try to be very organized and keep this from happening and exercise my right to say no...but sometimes I just get caught up. Phew....I am most guilty when it comes to this and re-reading the scriptures along with "Celebrating Biblical Feasts" has really re-opened this concern for me. We are trying to be very intentional in watching our schedule this week so that we don't lag behind this weekend - and we have cleared our schedule.

My kids LOVED making the challah bread covering - they painted a cloth napkin I already had and I will cherish it for sure now. We made the centerpieces today - but I have one last concern...
my centerpiece.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

cbollin

Wick for centerpiece??

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:37 am

asheslawson wrote:I have one last concern...
my centerpiece.

My wick is wax covered...I make candles for Christmas gifts and I have a small piece of wick leftover. I buy the wick string coated with wax and just poke it into the metal base & place in my mold before I pour my candles. But I'm not sure about this wax covered wick now. My dh thinks it will not soak up the oil, thus causing it not to work. Just wondering if I need to squeeze in a trip to the craft store, if this will work, or if I need a different wick. Or if by chance I could use some heavy guage string that I think he has in his tool shed. Any thoughts on the wick?

Also...instead of vegetable oil...he suggested we use some colored lamp oil we have hand...but I'm not sure if I need the water this way??? (He loves to have oil lamps for when we have power outages...or an occasional pioneer dinner on the deck - so we keep lamp oil.) Has anybody used lamp oil in their centerpiece?
Hoping someone has some advice on the wick and oil and all of that. It's exciting to hear about your prep and all of it. fun!

I bought a cheap store bought candle and used that. :~ No, it wasn't fancy, or religious section, just a tapered candle, white. and given our lives, I didn't let it burn over night.
I'm not sure I'm describing it well. If you look closely in the background of my spice box picture
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4770
you can see the spice box is leaning on the candle. I had a funky centerpiece from a floral arrangement from years ago and still had it to use.. agreeing with you that sometimes it's nice to slow down and rest. I remember the year we did CTG the second time... that sabbath, even though it was incomplete and simple, was a nice break in a rather chaotic time with moving and a dh who lived in another state on his new job and fireworks on the 4th...

anyway... no advice at all on the candle. I don't know why I even chimed in , but the wicks reminded me of my oldest trying to figure some of this out for chemistry labs.

Julie in MN

Re: Wick for centerpiece?? Sabbath thoughts.... (CTG Week 1)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:43 am

I wish I knew about candle wicks, too. Not very crafty here. But I would have no problem just putting the oil lamp itself in the center of the table. If the chimney is freshly washed and the table is pretty, I think it would be nice.

And on the Sabbath thoughts, I am right there with you. I keep feeling that God knew what he was saying when he emphasized a day of rest. It seems like a day to let everything settle & the true priorities rise to the surface. And it seems like a lesson in realizing when you have "enough" in your days and weeks and life, since there is always "more" we could do, whether for work or fun. I find myself thinking, oh well, I rested a lot this week, way more than OT folks did... But then I'm just feeling it's not the same thing. Ah well, something to work on.

CTG was such a great year at our house. Enjoy!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

asheslawson

Re: Wick for centerpiece?? Sabbath thoughts.... (CTG Week 1)

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:47 pm

I had to run to Walmart - but they didn't have any other wicks...ours doesn't have much in their craft department really. Therefore - I am thinking I'll try the wick I already have on hand...and if that doesn't work then I'll try floating tea lights on the little tin floaters we made. I have a big bag of them already too. By the way...Crystal - I checked out some of your ideas in the CTG forum and I loved the idea to do the birthday candle for the twisted candles...we are going to use that one for sure. I don't want to drive 25 minutes to the nearest Christian store to see if they have them and pay too much. We are definitely doing that - great idea. I think I'm also going to use pumpkin pie spice for my spice jar...I have plenty of that - and I'm with you on simplification. If we did this every weekend - I would probably keep these things - but as it stands that is not the case so we are doing a few really special things like the challah bread cover and minimizing the rest.
melinrn wrote:Hi. I'm newish to the boards but have been using MFW for a few years.

We are starting CTG in 2 weeks. I'm having such a hard time with how we, Christians, observe the Sabbath also. And to add to that I work night shift 7p-7a on Friday and Saturday night (i'm a nurse). I'm stuck with figuring out how to schedule this. I'd like to do it semi often through the year and I don't want it to be mid week (we're too busy). Any ideas on how to have some VERY simple sabbath celebrations?

~Melinda
Melinda...there are some other threads on adapting the celebration to whatever days fit with your work schedule. We may do ours on Saturday / Sunday too. I think you can honor God just as much and still fit it around your work schedules.

I'm not sure how to link to the thread... CTG... Can we celebrate the Sabbath on Sat/Sun instead?
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 852#p78486
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6

Poohbee

Anyone else baking Challah today?

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:15 pm

Well, we have been doing our preparations for our Sabbath celebration this weekend (CTG). When I first saw the lesson plans and saw that there was no regular schoolwork planned for Friday...that today is supposed to just be for Sabbath preparations...I thought, "Aw, I'm sure I could add a few things for us to work on. I'm sure the Sabbath prep won't take our whole day." But later, I decided to just do it as written and not schedule any schoolwork for today. And boy, am I glad I did! Today is going to be a lot of work! But it will totally be worth it!

I let the kids sleep in a little bit this morning, and then we got up and going. We mixed and kneaded our Challah together and set that aside to rise. Oh, I sure hope it turns out! I've prayed over it, asking God to bless it because all we long to do is honor him through our preparations and our Sabbath celebration. While the bread was rising, we cleaned house. I worked on dishes and vacuuming while my girls each cleaned our two bathrooms. That was a first for them. Usually I do all of the cleaning like that. It was great to take time to train them on how to clean the bathroom, toilet and everything, and have them do it. Now it is lunchtime and time to braid the bread and let it rise a bit more before baking it. This afternoon while my son naps, we will prepare tonight's meal and tomorrow's meal and a dessert. We'll set the table with a new, white tablecloth, my nicest dishes, white candles my husband and I used in our wedding ceremony, and the bouquet of flowers we bought at the store yesterday. (My girls love looking at all of the flowers in the floral dept. of the grocery store, and we don't buy some often, so this was a special treat for us)! Our Challah cover is a table runner that my grandma embroidered quite a few years ago.

All of the reading we've done this week about the Sabbath and the preparation we are doing today is really helping my girls to see how very special this is! I am so glad that Marie and the Hazells included this and the other Old Testament celebrations in the MFW curriculum. Otherwise, we never would have done this! What a blessing this is! Can't wait for tonight. I'll give an update sometime next week.

Those of you doing CTG, now or in the future, you may be tempted to skip the feasts, but don't! They are so special! Definitely worth all of the work they take!
NJCheryl wrote:Brought back memories of our year in CTG last year. The bread was a huge hit in my house and I have made it often since then. The feast were such a great experience for us! We are in RTR and K this year and just finished our first week up today.
Cyndi (AZ) wrote:What an awesome day, Jen -- I hope your Sabbath weekend is just as wonderful. It was such a great experience for my family.
4Truth wrote:My oldest did the bread for the meal when we did the Sabbath feast, and she still makes it regularly, too! Everybody LOVES it. Reading the OP reminds me of how long it took to prepare and serve, and am so thankful we don't have to live under those rules any longer. ;)

Hey, ladies, have your kids seen Fiddler on the Roof? It's a must-see for this occasion! :)
asheslawson wrote:We did ours Saturday into Sunday Poohbee...and you are so right...it was very worth the trouble. We had such a special time. Last year doing K & ECC last year for my first year of homeschooling we skipped a number of the hands on ideas...I am determined to do better this year - and the Sabbath weekend was a great way to begin that for us. It was wonderful working all day Saturday for the meals Saturday and Sunday, because Sunday was so relaxing. We read, played games, enjoyed church without that panic moment on the way home wondering what we were serving for lunch...which happens when our Saturday's are too full of busi-ness!!

Also....4Truth...we did watch Fiddler on the Roof as part of our prep - and it is such a great way to prepare the kids for the type of preparation that goes into this event for those that did, or still do, celebrate the Sabbath!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

lpmorris

Music, Snacks

Unread post by lpmorris » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:08 pm

In regard to a little music (which I play on our laptop when our girls are drawing for their creation notebook), we listened to Joseph Hadyn's "Creation" oratorio. There are several video links to listen on Youtube.com. We also love thegofishguys and their version of "This Is My Father's World" [ search YouTube for "Go Fish - This Is My Father's World gfguys" ]
They are a contemporary group of Christian dads who put the beat back into classic hymns.

We also did a snack to represent each day of creation:
Day 1 black and white cookies (or oreos which they separate to show light and dark)
Day 2 blue jello with dollops of cool whip around the top of the glass/bowl (separating the waters)
Day 3 dirt cups (chocolate pudding, crushed oreos, chocolate covered kale and raspberries)
Day 4 Cheese slices cut into the shapes of stars/moon/sun (swiss cheese for the moon :)
Day 5 Goldfish and birds eggs (cadbury or the eggs that look like speckled rocks that have a gummy center)
Day 6 Animal crackers
Day 7 Sundaes--Hallelujah day of rest! (I thought this curriculum was only supposed to be four days). tee hee
Seriously though, great time to start off our year.

asheslawson

Re: CTG - Week 1 (including the Sabbath & Creation)

Unread post by asheslawson » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:06 pm

We really enjoyed our sabbath celebration - it was truly special as two of our older boys were with us to take part - our 18 yr old was home from work and college at the same time!! Our 20 yr old was on weekend leave from the Marines. It was such a nice evening and the boys really helped make it more special for our 10 & 6 yr old. My 6 yr old dd helped with lighting the candles and my 10 yr old ds brought the handwashing bowl to each of us before we ate. Everyone enjoyed the ceremony - in fact my dd was disappointed that we don't do all of that for every meal!

One of my older sons took many pics so I will post them to my website. I already have the pictures of some of the preparation we did during the week. Our challah bread cover is a treasure we will keep for years. Both my ds & dd painted it together onto a napkin I had.

We found a star on the internet and traced it on the pie tins to make the stars for the oil lamp...my hubby used lamp oil instead of vegetable oil - and the only problem is it smelled really strong during burning. We tolerated it the smell, but after dinner it was beginning to sting our eyes a bit - but I'd stick with vegetable oil like the book said (sometimes we just have to let him go with his ideas, you know!) We did use a wax coated wick from candles I make that I put into the star shapes and they worked fine. The homemade oil lamp burned for hours yesterday and today.

For our havdallah candles - we warmed birthday candles in the microwave and twisted them together. These worked fine - but had to be extinguished fairly quickly and we had to hold them over paper towels as they drip a lot.

For our spice box, we actually used a small one ounce honey jar that I received at a convention. My daughter decorated it with adhesive jewels and we put some of the spice in it for smelling. The rest we kept in a recycled cinnamon container and kept to use on applesauce, cinnamon toast, tea....who knows what we might try!
sabbathchallahbread.png
Our challah bread and the cover the kids made
sabbathchallahbread.png (64.95 KiB) Viewed 18189 times
sabbathhandwashing2.png
My 10 yr old holding the handwashing bowl for my 18 yr old
sabbathhandwashing2.png (61.6 KiB) Viewed 18189 times
sabbatholivia2.png
My 6 yr old enjoying the meal - she loved this night!
sabbatholivia2.png (62.76 KiB) Viewed 18189 times
Hope you enjoy your celebration - ours will be a cherished memory for sure.

asheslawson

Re: CTG - Week 1 (including the Sabbath & Creation)

Unread post by asheslawson » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:19 pm

I thought I'd add one more post to show you the picture of the challah bread cover the kids did! My daughter, who is 6, designed and painted the bible. I didn't have enough colors of fabric paint to suit her so she improvised by using colored sharpies and the paints. She loves color. My 10 yr old painted the candlesticks. We will definitely keep this in a safe place and cherish the work they did!
challahbreadcover.JPG
challahbreadcover.JPG (17.87 KiB) Viewed 16126 times

cbollin

Ingredients questions for Cholent (CTG/Sabbath)

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Suzbert wrote:What is the "barley" called for in the Cholent recipe? Is it a flour or something more like a pasta/rice? Where would it be in the grocery store?
And what is the best cut of meat to use as the "pot roast"?
the barley can be the quick cooking. (I think my mom just fainted when I typed that.... no no Crystal... use the pearl barley, it's going to soak anyway). ok mom... LOL LOL She is sooooooooooo good of a cook. anyway...
It's more like a rice/grain item. I don't know where your grocery store has it. My store has it near rice and dry beans or sometimes they hide it in the "soup making" aisle. Ask at customer service of your store if those 2 aisles aren't helpful. I don't know what brand we usually get. cheap. but more than likely, I get Quaker brand just because it's there. here's a link to a picture on quaker oats website
http://www.quakeroats.com/products/more ... arley.aspx

for the pot roast... I look for the ones called roast. 3-4 pound thing. When I'm in doubt, I ask the people at the meat counter... "what looks good today for a nice roast dinner? to toss in the oven" (or crock pot) it seems like all of the people at the store I shop know when I'm too tired to think. LOL LOL It's fun. I'll zip in there with kids, or without them after exercise class... with this look of "someone just pick a package for me, please?!" and they are so sweet to help. But more often than not, at the kroger where I shop, the label calls it a pot roast, so I use that. I've been lazy and used "cut for stew". again, I buy on price and look.

You might even find some short cut pre packaged stuff where it has a bit of meat, and some veggies in a package with it. Just make something your family will enjoy that might be a little nicer than usual. That's my interpretation of what the recipe is doing: just a pot roast with veggies and using barley, the way you'd do it for soup. It's more so that you can toss it all together the night before and it's ready for supper the next night with "no work". I hope someone else chimes in. I read the recipe, and it sounded like crock pot or slow oven roast with veggies and a touch of grain in there.

-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Ingredients questions for Cholent (CTG/Sabbath)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:19 pm

I would guess barley is by the rice, too, but I'm allergic to it. (Glutenous grain.)

I put a chopped onion (cut into 8ths), a chunked up sweet potato, a couple handfuls of baby carrots, and a couple chunked up stalks of celery into the crockpot. Browned a 3lb chuck roast on the stove, then set it on top of the veggies. Poured a can of tomato sauce over that, and crushed a handful of dried oregano over that. If you start something like that in a crockpot on Friday night, set it on low and switch to warm at breakfast - it will be fall apart yummy for lunch.

asheslawson

Re: Ingredients questions for Cholent (CTG/Sabbath)

Unread post by asheslawson » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:17 am

Barley is some kind of grain...but we didn't use it - we wanted to because I hadn't had it since I was a kid (my grandparents raised me - and they cooked things that are hard to find now). My store is pretty small in town and has mostly basic ingredients and nothing very non-common (can you say that like that)!! Haha.

We just followed the recipe but left the barley out - and it was still super yummy...just like Cyndi said - it fell apart - it was wonderful. And what was even better was a wonderful meal (that we ate for two days) that was all prepared ahead of time and no effort on our day of rest. I have used 'rump roast' in the past for this dish (this actually is a house favorite dish in our home). However - last weekend we only found an 'arm roast' and it was great too. Hope this is helpful! ashley

KimberlyND

CTG-Challah cover- using crayons?

Unread post by KimberlyND » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:38 am

mom2h wrote:Anyone ever used crayons on fabric? I need a step by step and what crayons you used. I don't think we can have "Fabric" crayons here in time. Will regular ones work?
I'd like us to trace the challah table setting from the Feasts book onto our cloth and color it with crayons. Rather skip the fabric paint. Too messy, too long to dry, etc...
ANy suggestions or experiences with the CHallah cloth would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rhonda
We used fabric markers. I think I got them at Hobby Lobby. We were satisfied with the results.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

AnnieMarie

Re: CTG-Challah cover- using crayons?

Unread post by AnnieMarie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 am

We used permanent markers on an old linen napkin. That was 3 years ago and it still looks great!
AnnieMarie

DD 14 MFWK-1850Mod 2nd cycle ECC CTG AHL
DD 10 MFWK, MFW1, 1850Mod-RTR
DD 5 MFWK, MFW1 ECC-RTR

momma2boys

We LOVE it

Unread post by momma2boys » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:44 pm

We are on week 2 of CTG and we LOVE it. The kids loved celebrating the Sabbath so much that they want to do it once per month! Don't know if that will end up happening or not, but either way we learned so much and I know this is going to be a great year for us. So, yay! You're gonna love it. :)
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

cbollin

Haydn's Creation

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Joyhomeschool wrote:Ordered CTG Today! ;) I need to go find a copy of the Creation by Hayden or does that come in the Music package? ??
Haydn's Creation --- that is not included in CTG. Haydn is one of the composers in RTR.
in CTG, that is completely optional.

check library. or

you should be able to find lots of parts of it on youtube out there. search for The Heavens are Telling. or
or better yet... start at the beginning...
"Let there be light" from Haydn's "Creation"

rebeccal2002

Sabbath dinner was lovely

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi, we've just started CtoG. Sabbath dinner was lovely. The Challah came out perfectly and my DH said it was nice to focus on God before we ate. We always pray before dinner, but something about the ceremony of it all was very special.

Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!

MelissaM

Settling in to CtG and Have a Couple Questions...

Unread post by MelissaM » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Hey Everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time - very busy holiday season, and I've just had some...stuff...going on that's kept me from the boards. Anyway. We're on week 2 of CtG, and it's going great so far - really enjoying it! I thought I would really struggle with the transition from ECC, but so far it's going well. We've even done the art lessons...okay, we're only on Week 2, but still. And dd is doing a foreign language, and I've had time to work on speech exercises with ds7, AND have him practice his Kindermusik. I'm feeling SO good about it. (Please remind me of this post in 2 more weeks, when someone's sick and we're not getting anything done and I'm wondering if the kids would be better off in school, ok?)

We had our Sabbath dinner last weekend, even though we had to delay it until Saturday. It was great - VERY simple. I had to run some errands that day, so I didn't have a ton of time to cook dinner - so I bought a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store, and refrigerated bread dough. I cut each loaf of dough into 3 strips and braided it, so our Challah was Pillsbury French bread, but it looked pretty! ;) The next day, I used the leftover chicken and some store-bought stock to make an easy (tasty!) soup to eat after church. It was great. I'm so grateful for a curriculum that makes me feel like I *can* do this. :)

Thanks for letting me ramble!
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

Srt_143

Blessing your children during the Sabbath Dinner

Unread post by Srt_143 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:05 pm

I think I have convinced my husband to participate in doing a Sabbath with the family. Personally, I am super excited to do this. My husband was slow to warm to the idea, but we had a good long talk about it and he agreed to do it with the kids. (I didn't mention the rest of the festivals- hopefully this first one will go well and he'll be okay with them!)

I went over the points in the teacher's manual with my husband, and he was very hesitant with the father blessing the kids. Basically, my husband isn't confident praying aloud, and coming up with words to say is hard for him. He's really the quiet type. He asked me what he was supposed to say, or rather "HOW" to bless them. It's never come up for us to formally bless our children. I'm not opposed to the idea, and it sounds kind of nice, but it seems so formal and totally off point to say "Bless you".

What are some ways that you've given a child a blessing? I'm asking for syntax in the blessings. I know it's an awkward question, but hopefully someone will help me.

Thanks guys!

Stacy

DS4home

Blessing your children during the Sabbath Dinner

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:43 am

Srt_143 wrote:I think I have convinced my husband to participate in doing a Sabbath with the family. Personally, I am super excited to do this. My husband was slow to warm to the idea, but we had a good long talk about it and he agreed to do it with the kids. (I didn't mention the rest of the festivals- hopefully this first one will go well and he'll be okay with them!)

I went over the points in the teacher's manual with my husband, and he was very hesitant with the father blessing the kids. Basically, my husband is the quiet type. He asked me what he was supposed to say, or rather "HOW" to bless them. It's never come up for us to formally bless our children. I'm not opposed to the idea, and it sounds kind of nice, but it seems so formal and totally off point to say "Bless you".

What are some ways that you've given a child a blessing? I'm asking for syntax in the blessings. I know it's an awkward question, but hopefully someone will help me.

Thanks guys!
Stacy
Hello, I'm the quiet type also and can relate to your husband. I can share what our family did, not sure if it's how everyone does it. There is probably not a right/wrong with this sort of thing though. ;)

Here's what my husband did. As the kids were sitting at the table, he got up and stood behind each one. As he stood behind the first child he layed his hands on their head and just prayed a simple prayer like this:

Lord, thank you for (name). I love the (character trait) that you have placed inside of her. It brings a smile to my face and brightens my day (or something else nice to say about it).
Lord please bless (name) this week, and help her with (something that would be coming up soon, this week).
Then move on to the next child.

I hope this helps. Just keep it short and sweet. It might help your husband to write his thoughts out on paper and then read it when he prays over them.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

MelissaB

Re: Blessing your children during the Sabbath Dinner

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:43 pm

We did it similar to the way Dawn's family did it, except he placed his hands on their shoulders.

I think I was the most nervous about this part of the Sabbath meal because I could see how uncomfortable my husband was. But you know what? The Lord answers prayer. When it was time for the blessings, my dh spoke the most beautiful blessings over them (short and to-the-point, too! ;) ).

One thing to remember is to keep a smile on your face as he's blessing the children. If you look calm, he'll feel a little more at ease. :)

Oh... And don't forget to take a picture before you eat the meal!! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4