CTG - Week 1 (including the Sabbath & Creation)

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
Brie

Re: Blessing your children during the Sabbath Dinner

Unread post by Brie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:30 am

A lot of blessings for the holidays and Sabbaths are scripted. You can check out this link for an idea. He could read from it or memorize it. That would be a good first step :) http://teshuvaministries.net/messianic- ... blessings/
Amy & Tony married 14 years and...
Noah 10, Kayla 8, Brianna 5, Tony Jr. 3, & Nicholas 1
Together enjoying Exp-1850
blog:http://q4kids.blogspot.com

Julie in MN

Coloring Pages - Creation & Dinosaurs & Noah

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:06 pm

Free alphabet coloring pages (or extra notebook pages) from New Leaf/Master Books, publisher of a few of the books used in MFW.
http://www.nlpg.com/free-downloads/coloring-pages
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

bethinga

Re: CTG - Week 1 (including the Sabbath & Creation)

Unread post by bethinga » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Ok, I have to admit, I was totally overwhelmed at first with planing our Sabbath. I'm a visual learner, so I had to google it to see a video or blog photos. One of my best resources was this blog called Home Su Cool. It's the Su family in Queens using MFW and she posts pictures and simple details of their experiences. Seeing how she didn't do *everything*, but kept in the important parts, really helped me. It was so sweet to see how her kids and husband got into it. That was my inspiration.

My kids did not enjoy helping to clean the house, and it felt like a really long day with the meal-planning, too. But that made us all the more appreciative of the rest. We were done with cleaning by lunch. We had a simple breakfast and got ready for the day as normal. Then my kids tidied their rooms and did other chores to help dh and me with the rest of the house.

At lunch, we decided on a meal and dh went to the store while I finished cleaning the bathrooms and the kids had a neighbor over to play. We decide on chicken noodle soup (like in the Martha Zimmerman book), my son wanted to make caramel brownies (we got a box mix), and they were both excited to help make the bread.

After the neighbor friend left, they washed hands and helped me start the bread. We all did a little kneading. Then I let them have some quiet computer game time while I prepared the soup. I also made a quick pasta salad and fruit salad for Saturday's supper and put it in the fridge. (I used Suddenly Salad mix, and the fruit salad was a large can of fruit cocktail, Greek yogurt, shredded sweetened coconut, and mini-marshmallows mixed together.)

With the soup simmering and bread baking, I had both kids go shower (traditionally all family members come to the Sabbath table clean, just like the house is clean). When they were done, my daughter helped me decorate the table and my husband supervised our son while he made the brownies. While the brownies were baking, I took my shower. And while the kids and I placed the challah and soup bowls on the table, dh got his shower. We were all clean, with a clean house, and ready to begin!

The ceremony was so nice! I made sure each child had a job, so it really made them feel special. My son was in charge of the ceremonial washing bowl and towel, and he said the blessing for it. My daughter lit a candle with me and said one of the candle blessings. And of course Dad did all the dad parts (grape juice blessing, and blessings for each of the kids and me). As we went along, we talked about the symbolism of each part and also how it points to Jesus. We enjoyed the meal, dh washed the dishes, and then we had a movie night with the brownies for dessert! Afterwards, we went outside to look at the stars.

On Saturday, dh always works, but the kids and I had a very nice Sabbath, and we gave Dad a nice restful evening when he came home. We had cereal and buttered challah for breakfast. Yum! The kids enjoyed reading and drawing most of the morning and I was surprised they didn't ask for screen time or play loudly. They seemed to naturally get that it was suppose to be a quiet, restful morning. Dh comes home at lunch, so I reheated soup for him, and the kids and I had soup and bread for lunch too. I had told them they didn't need to do their usual morning chores as long as they fed the pets, got dressed at some point, and brushed their teeth. I'm not sure if those last two things ever got done, but oh well. 😉 We spent some time outside, but when it got too hot, we came in and watched an old movie together. I allowed them to have their computer games during, and I even took a little nap during! Wow, that was nice!

When dh came home, we set the table for the Sabbath evening meal. The kids loved twisting the candles together and each got to hold one and read Bible verses. (We had two because I let them each make one. I found very thin candles and soaked them in very hot water. Then they were flexible enough to twist. Afterwards, I cooled them under running tap water, and voila! Pretty twisted candles!) Dh blessing and poured the juice to overflowing and the kids extinguished their candles in it. They loved this part! Then we all smelled and admired the pretty spice box.

The evening commenced with the kids playing spy with walkie-talkies and dh and I reading. Such a relaxing Saturday night! It was difficult at first not doing any work Saturday morning; I couldn't believe how many things came to my mind that I felt "had" to be done. When I really thought about it, though, all of it could wait. I really needed this because I *always* have trouble relaxing and stopping my "doing". I think it would be good for all of us to do this (on a smaller, simpler scale) every week. We will go look at the stars once more before bed tonight.

Here's how I made my spice box: Since my kids love to play with tape of all kinds, I had various types of tape around the house. I wrapped the lid and ends of a match box with shiny blue duct tape. I framed the top of the box with decorative tape. I found a silver paint marker in my craft closet and wrote "Sabbath" inside the frame in pretty letters, accented with a cross and two hearts. Then I opened up about three unused herbal tea bags and poured in the contents. I think it was "cinnamon orange" tea. To that I added sprinkles of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice from my kitchen cabinet. They loved it!

For Sunday (tomorrow) I found a big white candle with gold letters that says "Love Never Fails". I plan to have it on the breakfast table tomorrow morning with a verse written on a notecard and propped up beside the candle and spice box. I want to leave that up all week. If it's not too hot, maybe we'll take a walk in the afternoon.

I hope my details here will help someone else who feels overwhelmed. Just simplify things and have fun. The Sabbath was given to us as a gift to enjoy! And remember, Jesus IS our Sabbath whom we can carry with us all throughout the week. "Come to me all you who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest. Take my yolk upon you, and learn from me, for I am meek and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yolk is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012