General ideas for Creation to the Greeks

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

General ideas for Creation to the Greeks

Unread post by Marie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:29 pm

General ideas for Creation to the Greeks.

Additional ideas may be posted in other areas of the message board:
Craft classes: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 033#p76033

kellybell

Ideas: Fun extras?

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:33 am

kstedl wrote:I know there will be tons of hands-on projects and activities to go along with CTG (which we are so excited to begin in the fall!). I was wondering though, has anyone used any hands-on-kits that they bought that was fun to do while in the CTG year?
CTG has a lot of hands-on things and you really don't need to add to them. MFW did a good job of designing projects to be meaningful and not too difficult or expensive.

We did buy a few extra things for use in the feasts. We didn't get much because we enjoyed making our own, but we did get a silver wine glass (if it's silver, I guess it's not a "glass" right?) and a decorate it yourself Passover plate (it was clear plastic and you could paint the bottom of it) and a sew it yourself Affikommen cover (you sewed and glued little things on a felt pouch). We got these things from http://www.allthingsjewish.com and ebay (I can't remember what we got where) and that was four years ago, so who knows what they have now.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:41 pm

When we did CTG, there seemed to be a lot of fun kits for ancients. They made great gifts and fun things to do "after school." Little did ds know that he was still learning :o)

* Pyramid kit
* Mummy kit
* Archaeology dig (a favorite)

Ds made a a King Tut mask patterned after one of the CTG books. For the face, we used a paper mache mask -- a sculpture supply from Dick Blick -- plus gold spray paint (from Walmart) and blue electrical tape.

We also had things we used around the house already. Pyramids were built of everything from cardboard to Duplo blocks. Some of the CTG games, experiments, etc., were favorites & done more than once.

We also still have the desert scene here that he created in ECC, and he added the little clay building that was a CTG activity, as well as some more desert-ish things.

Have fun!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Shelly Best

Unread post by Shelly Best » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:14 pm

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:22 pm

I would like to share a book that we use. The title is "24-Hours of Peace-&-Quiet!" Clever title, isn't it?

"A unique coloring book consisting of optical illusions and geometrical shapes."

You can download it free on the following web:
Raisingsmallsouls.com

sandi

CTG book basket resources

Unread post by sandi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 pm

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:28 pm

My favorite part of MFW is the awesome book baskets! We are one of those families that get the books and try and read them together. It takes time but it is well worth it!

This year they have recommended some videos to go with our study. Our library does not offer a very good selection and I could not afford to buy all of them.

We signed up with netflix.com you can rent dvds from them. So far we have rented from them two of the videos that have been recommended. I am so glad that we did it added so much to our study!! Netflix is not a Christian company but has some educational videos to rent.

We also purchased Ancient Civilizations for Children tapes from libraryvideo.com once we ordered from them they sent us a really neat catatlog with alot of neat videos for the kids. You cannot rent from them, you have to buy them.

Well, thought I would share

Eve

yes, yes yes!!! I agree...

Unread post by Eve » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:29 pm

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:55 pm

I am finding Netflix WELL worth the cost for the many MANY educational video options. Netflix has just about all of the videos listed in the TM.
Eve

sewardmom

Unread post by sewardmom » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:01 pm

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:08 pm

Just wanted to share a neat book we are using for CTG.

It is called Unwrapping the Pharaohs by John Ashton and David Down. It basically addresses how Egyptian archaeology confirms the Biblical timeline. It includes a DVD - which we have not yet viewed. Very interesting stuff.

- Terri
Daisy wrote:I received this book for Christmas last year. We LOVE it!!
[NOTE: This book is included in MFW's High School package, AH&L]

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:36 am

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:56 pm

My family has loved the Drive Thru History series from Focus on the Family. They combine history with the journey of Paul and the Bible times. We have used them in conjunction with RTR and CtoG but also just on their own. The information might go over the heads of the little ones but the host is funny enough to keep their attention.

Julie in MN

CTG general ideas

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:39 am

(1) English From the Roots Up
For reviewing the Greek root words, I sometimes created a crossword puzzle using a site such as this one:
http://puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com/

(2) Sheep
While studying shepherding in CTG (King David, Psalm 23, etc.), I ordered a nice, free teaching resource from Pendleton:
http://www.pendleton-usa.com/custserv/e ... e=Heritage
Both the chart and the booklet have actual sample pieces of wool, and the chart includes wool from its initial stages all the way through finished product, plus a small vial of lanolin that is also made from wool. It always helps kids if they can "touch" the materials.

I added all the other books we had on wool in the Pendleton envelope & Voila! a kit about sheep :o) For instance,
- Charlie Needs a Cloak, by Tomie dePaola
- A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 (I condensed some of it, but it was excellent! There is a younger version of "excerpts" which is beautiful but does not teach as many lessons, about the bad shepherd for instance.)
- All About Wool, Young Discovery Library

(These are just books we happened to have; you may have others. As Tina has figured out, I am a bibliophile - oh, you'll have that vocabulary word in CTG :o)

P.S. There is a wool-making video on YouTube under "Pendleton Woolen Mills Tour"
And YouTube has an excerpt of "Sheep shearing: Children's DVD: Bee bright On the Farm: Amazing Animals"

(3) Free Bible Flashcards
These aren't necessary but they're pretty :)
http://www.sundayschoolsources.com/
Follow the instructions for printer settings - "Fit to Printer Margins" should be changed to "None" and "Auto-Rotate and Center" should be unchecked.

(4) Films explaining Jewish cultural traditions today
I think it's a good idea for kids to see Jewish culture today, if they can. If you don't have local families you can get to know, there are several videos showing things like clothing & food customs. (note that searches on this topic can turn up very bitterly negative things, too)
(a) Youtube has a series called "Jewish Law," 5 parts, from "gurufabbes"
(b) VHS: Jewis Culture & Customs, A sampler of Jewish life, by Steve Herzig

(5) Book Basket
Film: Greece: Secrets of the Past
For the end of CTG or beginning of RTR
This film can be seen at some Omnitheaters, and is out on video. The film was not the most exciting we have ever seen, but it was a good visual review, with some very pretty scenes. There was quite a bit on a volcano in ancient Greece, which went along with learning about Pompeii (Rome).
Something we found interesting: The lava created layers of rock and each layer was formed in minutes to hours -- hmmm... sounds like a flood really could create layers of earth in a short time, eh?!

Biblical Archaeology Review , magazine
Jan/Feb 2010 issue
This magazine might be a good book basket addition for older kids in CTG. New discoveries often confirm the truth of Biblical history. And the Jan/Feb 2010 issue features "All in the Family" about folks whose dream was to go volunteer on a dig, and how excited they were about it, including young people & families. It might be inspirational for some kids to see the variety of exciting jobs that further God's Kingdom which they may not have even imagined. (The magazine is often discounted, because it is heavily funded by advertising, but at least the ads are safe for kids.) Note: Other issues may have pictures of immodest statues, etc. The May/June 2010 issue especially had a cover featuring ancient ruins with immodest lack of clothing, plus a conversation with a very non-Biblical archaeologist (interviewed by a Biblical one).

A Day of Pleasure, Stories of a Boy Growing Up in Warsaw
by Isaac Bashevis Singer (autobiography)
For an older student, especially one who's been through 1850MOD, this is an interesting autobiography of a very poor Jewish rabbi's family around just after WWI. It's just a set of individual stories that the author remembers from his elementary years. They are quite wild and dramatic at times, with a mom who says, "Woe is me!" when her kids do something wrong, and lots of thievery (by others) and some sneaking (by the author), as well as some faith crises in the later chapters, so they should be read by an older student. And I know my son probably would not find them as interesting if he were reading the book on his own, so I read it aloud, and he really became endeared to the main character. Years back, I had read In My Father's Court myself, which has some of the same stories but also includes some more "grown up" stories of adults coming to the rabbi for crazy things; parents may enjoy that one. But A Day of Pleasure sticks to the experiences of a very observant and incessantly wondering, very Jewish young boy, despite the harshness of pervasive poverty.

One More River, and sequel Broken Bridge
by Lynne Reid Banks (author of Indian in the Cupboard series)
Again for older students or parents, this series is about a wealthy Canadian family who decides to immigrate to an Israel kibbutz (like a farming commune) around the time of the 1967 six-day war (which is covered in 1850MOD). It has a lot of family conflict, especially at the beginning, so it may not be suitable for children who haven't experienced families in conflict. It reminded me of our family conflict when we decided to bring our high schooler home to school :) It illustrates many modern issues in Israel in a way teens may absorb, and may clarify the difference between Jewish nationality vs. Jewish faith.

Cantors, a faith in song, 2003
This concert is on YouTube (1 hour, free), search for "Cantors - A Faith In Song," uploaded by MVDmusicvideo. It was a special gathering of 3 Jewish "Cantors" from the USA and Israel.

It's also on CD. The CD booklet gives the words and a brief explanation of the songs. The one song in English is #6 from Fiddler on the Roof: Sunrise, Sunset.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 15 times in total.

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi !

We are reading Jotham's Journey as an Advent Celebration this year and I thought it would be a perfect addition to C to G during Christmas. It is a daily reading through out Advent and it deals with the coming Messiah and His subsequent birth.

It's great even though we are in a different year but I think it would be particularly meaningful during CtoG.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

hsmomof5

Science: Biology 101 Series

Unread post by hsmomof5 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:45 am

I just wanted to say that my high school son has been viewing this video series and they are wonderful and I am planning to use them with my younger sons during CTG in the upcoming year. The videos cover Biology according to the days of creation. They are very colorful and the author has such a great sense of humor.

The site states that they were written for 15 and older but I think my sons would really enjoy these. They are very understandable. My sons LOVE science so they thought these videos were really neat. I think k-3 may have difficulty sitting still through these. I have a 4th and 5th grader but my 4th grader is advanced.

The DVD includes a guide and quizzes. The guide is a lesson plan for the DVDs including some nature studies. Anyway, I know that CTG does Creation Science so we are going to enjoy viewing these as supplements. Just wanted to pass it along.

http://www.the101series.com/

You can find them a little cheaper at christianbooks.com and a few other online book suppliers.

Here's the content info: http://www.the101series.com/contents.html
~Kysha
ds 19 (college freshman), ds 12, ds 12, and ds 10 (ECC '08) (CTG '09), dd 3 (Preschool)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:11 am

I just watched the free intro on that site. Kinda long for youngest viewers, but... this thought popped in my mind....

For those who are in EX1850 (or might be), the intro to the series could be nice for week 2 science

or in ECC, week 15 with the hands on activity in science

or even those in Apologia General Science in module 9 and/or 10.

I obviously haven't seen the whole series or anything. just the online stream of the intro.

-crystal

niki

SOTW?

Unread post by niki » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:49 pm

happyWImom wrote: Is there a way that anyone has incorporated SOTW vol 1 into MFW?
STOW 1 was given to me years ago...hung onto it for some reason. Although I don't try to fit it in, my kids love to color while I'm reading so I've copied some of the pages that fit with our study...today they colored some Greek paper dolls while I read the Children's Homer. I read the first 3 chapters having them narrate after each one and they did superb (even my 6 year old).

Haven't read much from the reader because we don't need to, we get all we need from the Bible, and the other "spines" of CTG...BUT I have read a time or two from it for "Book Basket", just because the story told was a favorite of a kid of mine. :)
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

niki

Re: SOTW?

Unread post by niki » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:52 am

Honestly I wouldn't be able to do it alongside any MFW curriculum. That's just me and my kids. Maybe an extra here or there, but we're BUSY and learning A LOT!! :)
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

Aiming4Him

Re: SOTW?

Unread post by Aiming4Him » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:15 pm

I am doing CTG this year and we have SOTW 1 on CD. It's a nice little extra for car trips. If we all listen together we can talk about the "secular" stuff. I feel like even the non-readers pick up some ancient history that way. My kids love it, so I'm thinking of getting book 2 on CD for next year. My 10 yo has already read it for fun, though.
Aimee,
wife to Mike,
mom to seven boys (16,14,10,8,5 ,3 & 1 ),
and one dd (12)

Julie in MN

I'm shopping--Need ideas for extras for CtG and 1st grade!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:45 pm

NakiainNC wrote:Hi! I am currently shopping for CtG and the 1st grade curriculums. I just wanted to get any suggestions for nice extras to have at home for these 2 levels. For example, this year when using ECC we loved watching the Planet Earth videos and also the book Children Like Me. We definitely love the book basket, but sometimes some of the extras are worth purchasing just to have them on hand for the kids (and mom!) to enjoy! Thanks for any suggestions!
CTG already has quite a few activities, plus the best book around -- the Bible! I guess I'd say that anything you can add to your experience of the feasts will be meaningful. (Edited to add: I always wished I could have purchased a shofar LOL)

For a fun video, I'd recommend Drive Thru History - there's one about about Greece. You get a visual of those ancient places, alongside goofy kid humor, and solid Christian beliefs. Oh, and we also watched a lot of Veggie Tales for fun that year - actually quite close to the storyline, with a few substitutions such as Queen Esther saving the king from a piano :o)

We got one of the art history books recommended at the beginning of CTG book basket lists, and enjoyed looking at the way different artists depicted Old Testament stories.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niki

Re: I'm shopping--Need ideas for extras for CtG and 1st grade!

Unread post by niki » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:38 am

I'd recommend a good children's Bible...the one I love is the Jesus Storybook Bible, where every story whispers His Name. Sometimes I'd have it in book basket, other times I'd read the Bible story from that bible as well...the stories are well written and the pictures are beautiful. We're doing exactly what you're planning. CTG and first. Have fun.
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:52 pm

The year I did CTG the first time is all a blur. I know there were some DVD's our church had called That the World May Know (Ray vander Laan's series) that might have worked well. I know I saw the New Testament ones when we did RTR and kept in my mind that maybe the Old Testament ones would be nice in CTG.

other videos: we enjoyed library stuff on ancient eygpt/greece. It was fun to see the buildings and such.

Oh, when you get your CTG manual, there is a section right at the beginning of book basket of books that are useful all year round. Maybe it would be worth it to get some of those titles?

Art history ideas might be nice to compliment God and the History of Art. Our library had some videos. so, if there is something out there neat for art history???? But you'll want to get nice supplies for art work.

Some people seem to enjoy Draw and Write Through History to do alongside CTG for quick and easy more notebooking than is scheduled. I know I plan to try to look through it at a convention to see if it is going to work for us or just be something that sits on a shelf. (waving hi to the author)

-crystal

TNLisa

Unread post by TNLisa » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:01 pm

Hittite Warrior is mentioned in the list of additional resources and I highly recommend it.

My daughter (4th grade) enjoys coloring, so sometimes I let her color Edupress' Color and Learn books - Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece to add to our notebook.

CtoG is rich. I recommend following the lesson plan and incorporating all (or as many as you can) of the biblical feasts. You will find that you won't need to supplement.
Lisa
Homeschooling since 2005!

courthart246

The one extra resource you'd buy for CtoG??

Unread post by courthart246 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:02 pm

Daisy wrote:I'm going to be placing my order with MFW soon but in the meantime I'm placing a small order with CBD and need to reach "free shipping" status. Anyone have a suggestion for a great resource to add to CtoG?
We bought a model tabernacle from CBD. I think it was around $10. (Pictorial Guide Tabernacle Model. It is a die-cut cardboard model.) We were a little overwhelmed by the tabernacle model in the teacher's manual, but I still really wanted to do this, so we got the pre-made one. Anyway, that is definitely an "extra" because the teacher's manual does have things for you to run off to make a tabernacle.

You might pick up more Patricia St. John read alouds. 3 come with the curriculum, but when we finished them my son was begging for more. We found 2 more at CBD. Just a couple of ideas. Have a great year in CTG. We have LOVED it!
4Truth wrote:Just a heads up... Twice Freed [by Patricia St. John] is scheduled in RTR, so no need to order that one in advance.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

Amy in NC

Re: The one extra resource you'd buy for CtoG??

Unread post by Amy in NC » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:14 pm

Rainbow Garden is a great choice for an additional St. John book.

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:16 am

cbollin wrote:Courtney,
Was it the 3D puzzle, or the paper model? I never made the one in CTG, so I'm thinking I might want a back up idea myself. The first time I did CTG my oldest dd's sunday school class was also doing Old Testament year long study, so they made a tabernacle. So, I didn't.
Well, we used to have a Veggie Tales play set with a plastic tabernacle to carry :o)

But just to reassure you, the CTG model is not hard! You basically have 3 things:

1. walls made of milk or juice cartons

2. 3 fabric coverings

3. cut-out pieces to go inside -- but only about 6 of them -- and coloring most of them gold or bronze is pretty straightforward or could be optional

To simplify it even further, you could probably substitute any fabric, bandanna, scarf whatever, and then discuss the fabrics in God's detailed instructions. I wonder if the cut-outs could be printed onto some kind of brownish paper so they don't have to be colored? And since about 4 of the cut-outs make simple boxes, you might even be able to substitute those with little toys?

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06 am

Julie in MN wrote:But just to reassure you, the CTG model is not hard! You basically have 3 things:
Thanks for the encouragement, Julie. I so seldom hear anyone saying it was easy. I see blog pictures of other stuff.

I didn't try the first time because they were doing one at church and it all worked out. so, this morning I pulled out my old CTG manual and it doesn't look that hard at all. The only part of the instructions that didn't seem to click in my brain was connecting the milk cartons. Everything else seems real simple to do. But I bet my Oldest girl and my dh will read it and put it together. I'm guessing plastic cartons will NOT work? we need ye ole paperboard cartons, right? Oh never mind about plastic vs. paperboard cartons, we'll use a shoe box.

I'm already thinking that we'll probably simplify and use felt squares for the fabric, or at least take a look on the remnants section of fabric store. Something cheap and easy :-) brown paper bag for the "leather" scrap (I know, that's not "tan" color, but so what). and the amount of coloring shouldn't be that bad. oh, and the manna for the ark?, we'll just use a few scraps from the paper hole puncher. a few toothpicks here and there and we're set. I think I just save myself some unnecessary ordering 8[] wait a minute?! we have some old scraps of really old shirts around here, I don't even need the fabric store.

uh oh.... something tells me we're going to make it this week just for fun. ;) must find camera

-crystal

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Let me assure everyone. The tabernacle in the CTG manual is very easy to make. I am not good at detailed projects at all. This one is easy.

Check the time stamps between my posts. on my settings (I use board default of central time zone) it took us from 11:30 am (12:30 my time) until 1:30 (2:30 my time) to do the whole thing today (!) and that included time to look around the house to get supplies and be very interrupted by our youngest child. Remember though, you will have 4 school days to do this entire project. But if needed, it could be done on a weekend afternoon.

For the fabric curtains, we used tissue paper and wrapping paper and a paper bag (for brown paper). (and some scrap fabric, but we thought about using Christmas wrapping paper with angels on it. oh well.)

My husband has an important tip to share: when you do the courtyard curtains, don't glue the ends together where it says to "glue here". Reason? If you want keep and simple packing up of the project it is very quick to get to clean up if you didn't glue those ends together because now you can just nest the cardstock courtyard curtains inside of each other, put them on top of the fabric curtains and put this thing in the closet.

It is such as easy project to do.

Don't over think the milk carton part. all you are trying to do is make a long building structure. A long shoe box or two will work easy, Take off the lid and you're done. We just happened to have had a long shoe box that was close to the right side.
Well over to copy and paste this on the CTG Ideas forum.

-crystal on behalf of all of us.

p.s. photos are on this link
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 453#p47453

niki

Unread post by niki » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:52 am

Agreeing with Crystal...we made ours and the kids had fun. It gave us time to talk about the many parts and they also worked on it while I did some Bible reading. Maybe next time around though we might splurge and buy a set to build, just for something different. I have to admit...it didn't last long. The cat thought we made it for him and it got destroyed. He was wacking the ark of the covenant all around the house until it finally disappeared!!! lol.

Oh, we didn't use milk cartons either, just an old shoebox.

niki
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd