General ideas for Creation to the Greeks

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
momma2boys

Bloggers If you post about CTG on there

Unread post by momma2boys » Tue May 22, 2012 3:04 pm

classicalmom wrote:Can you post your blog here for me?
Holly
I am just finishing up CTG. We moved mid-year and so I wasn't very faithful at blogging since then, but I have plenty of posts from the fall. http://www.jc-naturals.com/blog
Are you starting CTG soon?
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

Jami

Re: Bloggers If you post about CTG on there

Unread post by Jami » Tue May 22, 2012 4:45 pm

We did CTG two years ago and I blogged about our year and labeled the posts so they were easy to find. Love when being organized pays off. :) Although I didn't blog every week sometimes and it looks like I either stopped at week 27 or didn't tag the rest so that's where it starts. :~

So we did Kinder at the same time and my posts were about both sometimes, as well as our lives beyond CTG as well. Oh, and when you click on the link, my posts are organized most recent to least recent.

http://www.wehearthomeschooling.blogspo ... e%20Greeks
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Tue May 22, 2012 6:56 pm

Like momma2boys we also moved mid year and I haven't kept up my blog since then either. I'm hoping to go back and at least catalog some of the things we did. I'd like to make a 'yearbook' of our year. I did this last year using blog2print and the book came out great. My blog link is in my signature line below.

Postby jasntas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:16 pm
I just wanted to post and update. I have almost finished blogging about our year with CTG. I just have to post about our last day of school which was our Olympics Day.

The blog is a little slim during weeks 18-31. OK, really slim. We had lots of other things going on at the time and the school related things we did do I didn't seem to get on camera. :( But overall we had a great year. :)

If you'd like to take a look my link is in my signature line.

To see everything CTG related you can go to my blog archive listed on the right side of the page and click on 2011 or 2012 and choose a month. Then click on any of the titles that start with CTG. :)
momxnine wrote:Thank you, Tammie! We'll be starting CTG in the fall and your blog looks wonderful!
Postby jasntas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:30 pm
You are welcome and thank you for the nice words.

I have now posted our Summer Olympics. Now I feel like our year is complete. Oh wait, I still have to finish putting away all of last year's stuff and clean up our classroom. Blech!
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:39 pm

I've blogged a bit through ADV, but totally skipped ECC this year. :~ I just resurrected my blog and plan to post about CTG this year, probably starting in August. Link in my signature.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

classicalmom

Unread post by classicalmom » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks for the links guys!!

Heading over to take a peek!
Holly

MelissaB

Drive Thru History: Greece and the Word

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:56 pm

dhudson wrote:Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:56 pm My family has loved the Drive Thru History series from Focus on the Family. They combine history with the journey of Paul and the Bible times. We have used them in conjunction with RTR and CtoG but also just on their own. The information might go over the heads of the little ones but the host is funny enough to keep their attention.
We really like these videos, too. Greece and the Word by Drive Thru History is super!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

mr.hickswife

CTG & Evan Moor History Pockets: Ancient Egypt

Unread post by mr.hickswife » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi All!

I think I've seen that others who have done CTG also used Evan Moor History Pockets Ancient Egypt and was just wondering if you could kindly share with me when you used what pages?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Roni

DS10, DS9, DD 6, DD 4 and #5 due in Nov! Finished ECC and back for more!!

mr.hickswife

Re: CTG & Evan Moor History Pockets: Ancient Egypt

Unread post by mr.hickswife » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi All!

I've seen that others who have done CTG also used Evan Moor History Pockets Ancient Egypt. I just saw the recent post about lapbooks & CTG and found a link that has what I was looking for! So, just in case anyone else was wondering.....

the below copy & pasted the from http://homeschoolblogger.com/mfwexplore ... he-greeks/

This list correlates with the Teacher Manual:
Ancient Egypt
Wk 4: Pocket 1
Wk 5: Pocket 4
Wk 6: Pocket 5
Wk 7: Pocket 6
Wk 8-9: Pocket 7
Wk 10: Pocket 2 (during Joseph)
Wk 11-17: Pocket 3

Greece
Wk 19: Pocket 1
Wk 20: Pocket 5
Wk 25: Pocket 4
Wk 26: Pocket 8
Wk 28: Pocket 3
Wk 30: Pocket 6
Wk 31: Pocket 7
Wk 33: Pocket 9
Wk 34: Pocket 2
These are the suggested times to do this according to what Marie has scheduled in the Teacher’s Manual. Pocket 8 can be done at anytime. Remember that you don’t have to do everything. Pick and choose. Use different colored paper to photocopy on (I pick up sheets at the PTR to have on hand). It sometimes helps to have some things pre-cut but mostly I let them do it quietly while I do History Read Aloud. We found this to be very fun.
Roni

DS10, DS9, DD 6, DD 4 and #5 due in Nov! Finished ECC and back for more!!

momxnine

The mummy we found today....

Unread post by momxnine » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:38 pm

We are on week 8 or so in CTG and of course still learning about Egypt. We needed to go to Hobby Lobby this afternoon and because I fell in love with Kenya last year while doing ECC last year, I always have to stop to look at the "Africa" things they have sale. :D Well, today they had some new figurines from.... EGYPT!!! And my son saw this beautiful mummy figurine and when he found out it opened, he said, "Mom, this would be the perfect thing for my pencils." lol

They also had a pyramid and a Pharaoh head that was sort of shaped like a Sphinx. I didn't buy the mummy figurine yet, but boy was it tempting! I'm debating whether to go back and get it or not. :) Anyway, just thought I'd share because he was so excited about it. :)
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

Mësuese

Re: General ideas for Creation to the Greeks

Unread post by Mësuese » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:20 am

You Tube has a great selection of 'Horrible Histories' videos (a children's tv show in the UK based on books by Terry Derry). Also, the audio book Awesome Egyptians is available which makes for great listening! Children could take notes as part of the exercise, or just listen for fun.
jemmy wrote:Mesuese thanks a lot!

Asmtyrick

Unread post by Asmtyrick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:38 pm

We are on our 3rd week of CtG and I have to recommend a music CD that we have enjoyed so much.
It is Incrediworld by Patch the Pirate of Majesty Music and it is a wonderful story/songs about creation,
that directly correlate with the Answers in Genesis info. I guess AIG used this tape with their VBS one year.
Hope you enjoy it also!

4Truth

DVDs

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:56 am

gratitude wrote:I found some wonderful DVDs at the library last week... The title of the web-site is Families of the World. They have done 28 DVDs in 28 different countries. In the library I found them in the children's section. [original post http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=175 ]

We watched Israel yesterday, and it made me think of CTG. These videos have a similar format of following one rural family and one urban family. Both families for Israel were Jewish & they included in it seeing their Friday night Sabbath celebration. I thought this could benefit CTG users!
That's true, one could use these in their history studies, too. Families of Egypt, Families of Greece, Families of Rome....
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

romans8x28

Unread post by romans8x28 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:14 pm

I purchased the What's in the Bible coloring book (digital version) awhile back and realized while prepping for CTG that it would be PERFECT to have as coloring pages for during read alouds. My 1st and 3rd grader have loved having something to do while I'm reading this year, so I'll be printing a set for each of them and my toddler who just likes to use colors! I printed out the whole Old Testament portion and it was just over 100 pages. Most of the pages will line up with a specific day in the teacher's manual.
Rhonda is teaching:
Girl - 9, Boy - 7, Girl - 2, Baby in September!

2011-2012 - K-1st Ed.
2012-2013 - First-1st Ed.
2013-2014 - Adventures-2nd Ed., K-2nd Ed.
2014-2015 - ECC-2nd Ed., ECC & First-2nd Ed.

Hubfam7

Unread post by Hubfam7 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:15 am

This year has been really awesome in how MFW has helped show the timeline of history as it went along with the scriptures. I learned so much this year as I taught my kids. We borrowed a lot of videos from the library to add to the learning experience. One video in particular for Ancient Greece was called: Ancient Greece: gods and battles. I believe it is from the History Channel. In the battle of marathon, they use video game technology to recreate the battle, which was very helpful in knowing what was going on, who was who, and the outcome of the battle. There is a lot on these videos, and would recommend previewing them before showing them to make sure it's something you desire your kids to see, some content is quite mature.

Also, going to an art museum, especially if they have an ancient art section, is really effective. We have gone a couple times; for ancient Egypt (seeing the sarcophagus, the hieroglyphs, and jewelry) and for ancient Greece (pottery, jewelry, armor, different utensils). It is quite an experience to see your kids trying to read 3,000 year old hieroglyphs, and to look at a piece of Greek pottery and understand who Odysseus was and why he is upside down clinging to an animal. To see that these items have lasted so long that we are able to enjoy them today, makes the history all the more real.