RTR - Weeks 22, 23, & 24 (including China, Japan, & Russia)

If you are using Rome to the Reformation, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

RTR - Weeks 22, 23, & 24 (including China, Japan, &

Unread post by Marie »

Weeks 22, 23, & 24 (including China, Japan, & Russia).
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

* Instead of a "small ball on a string" for science in week 22, we used a mallet (the kind with a round ball on the end to strike bells). It worked fine.

* The fried rice recipi is very good!

* After trying to decorate ds's haiku page with real "nature" & failing, we finally used a leaf stencil & it turned out very nicely. (Craft-impaired here.)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
Julie in MN

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:34 am

We're on week 22 of RTR. (Yes, in October :o) We've had so many things tie together this week that it all seems so right & brings a feeling of peace & success.

- Our Bible reading on Monday was the exact same portion of Luke that the pastor read on Sunday.
- A chapter in the read-aloud (Vanity Fair) helped illustrate words in the memory verse (vain conceit), and then the next chapter in the read-aloud was about a castle.
- We had a rare very sunny day just when we were studying the sun & needed it for an experiment -- burning a candy bar in Astronomy :o)
- The Latin root (sol) matched the Astronomy chapter on the sun (of course some of these are planned by Marie).
- The ILL lessons have matched the season we happen to be in -- poems and prose on autumn.

I love it when I see God's care in the little stuff :o)
Julie
DS4home

week 23

Unread post by DS4home »

On Wed. this week we had a little fun with our Haiku poems. Instead of getting out the old paper and pencil.....we used these word magnets we had. I gave each kid a baking pan that the magnets would stick to and we sat around the table looking through all the words available, trying to put them together to make a haiku. The kids enjoyed it - and I avoided the whinny voice saying, "I can't think of anything to write!". They actually spent more time on this than I anticipated, and it was all productive time :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 30th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS+College Grad), & Bethany(11th)
2020: high school US Hist.1
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1
Julie in MN

Re: Failed Science Experiment - Magnifying Glasses

TriciaMR wrote:Okay, I know as a kid, I took a magnifying glass and scorched leaves and grass on the sidewalk. We tried today with 3 different magnifying glasses. One thing I noticed is that we couldn't focus the light in as tight a point as I was able to as a kid. And, I was wondering if it was because we were using a plastic magnifying glass now, and glass ones when we were kids? We tried for a good 15 or 20 minutes to get something to happen. It was rather early in the day - maybe around 10:00. So that was my other thought, to try again around noon (but then I forgot). Any other ideas?
-Trish
Trish,
We did that experiment during the Astronomy study. I can't remember - maybe I was afraid to do it with a 4th grade boy during CTG :)

It worked well! He burned the candy bar as well as leaves after that, with holes burned right through. We put them on a paper plate. We tried two bigger-sized magnifying glasses that were great-grandma's for enlarging print, and I'm pretty sure both were plastic.

Here's what ds typed up in early 6th grade. Maybe it will help give ideas? (I still have it on the computer so I'll copy-paste)

Title of science study: Burn stuff up

What we want to know:
If you can actually collect enough heat from the sun to burn something. And how in cartoons they burn stuff with magnifying glasses.

What we did:
We took a Caramello bar (such a waste) and divided into 4 and put it on a plate. First we put a magnifying glass exactly where the sun was, and then we fooled with it to make a really small ray of light so it was just like a dot. We tried a bigger circle that covered the entire piece of a Caramello.

What we thought would happen:
I thought that after a couple minutes, it would start burning.

What we saw:

Instantly, within 3 seconds, wherever I pointed, the dot was burning and smoke was erupting. But with the big circle of light, it got mushy but it never really went up in smoke.

What we learned:
There is a way to collect rays all the way from the sun to earth. You can probably capture a square foot of rays.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
TriciaMR

Re: Failed Science Experiment - Magnifying Glasses

Unread post by TriciaMR »

Hmm, our magnifying glasses are only 2 inches in diameter, so rather small. And the other was a lens from a "Edmund's Magnifier" (30x) that my dh used in college in his EE classes. I aimed it at my hand (I know, risky, but since the paper wasn't lighting up...) and could feel the heat, but nothing would burn. It was only in the 60's this morning, so maybe that had something to do with it. I was tempted to go get my glasses and try those, but I needed to be supervising the kids. (I seem to recall a Little House on the Prairie episode where a wagon overturns and Mary's glasses set the field on fire...) You think wouldn't trust a 4th grade boy, how about 2 five year old boys! They were quite curious.

Well, it is too late to try again today. Perhaps tomorrow at lunch, and we'll fiddle with the distances.
Thanks, Julie.

Postby TriciaMR » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:43 pm
Just a follow-up. A slightly larger magnifying glass suddenly appeared on my kitchen island today. I have no idea which child found it and placed it there. So, I went outside and tried to scorch a wood-chip, and it worked! Took about 5 seconds or so to get the smoke going. I showed my dd, but she's pyrophobic (is that a word?), so she ran away...

Postby TriciaMR » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:10 pm
Julie in MN wrote:Hmmm... apparently the size of the magnifying glass was the key? Interesting scientific data we've collected here ;)
Well, I wonder if it is a magnification issue, not necessarily size, although they might be related. I would think a bigger magnifying glass would have more magnification, but it could depend on how the lens was designed. These are cheap-o, Dollar Store magnifying glasses... Also, I'd want to try it in the morning, to see if the angle of the sun had any effect. But, we're taking a week off, so the saga will have to continue later...

Thanks!
-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
cbollin

Re: RTR - Weeks 22, 23, & 24 (including China, Japan, & Russ

Unread post by cbollin »

week 24, Venus radar activity.

I'm known for making it too easy sometimes and not fancy enough.

Here is our modified version.

Took shoe box.
crumbled up alum. foil and taped it to bottom.
put a toy in the middle. toy had a natural slope/slide on it
put other object in bottom

(that was to replace the newspaper mountains with plaster of paris.)

covered with thicker paper towel.
It was thick and covered view of stuff. served same purpose.

I decided that maybe the bamboo stick thingy would poke a hole in paper towel, so we used an emory board (you know the sandpaper thing to file your fingernails?) Instead of painting it - we used colored rubber bands (like hair pony tail holder things) to mark various radar depths.

drew a quick grid system on paper towel on the small box to poke the radar into.

colored the grid squares and we went along.

then, put it all away.

very simple.
very easy

no, it's not blog worthy with photos of kids painting on learning, but it was good enough for my house. mostly I didn't see the need to deal with newspaper and plaster.

-crystal
TriciaMR

RTR - Week 23, Sun Spots and Sun Flares

If you're at week 23, and want to watch some NASA videos of the sun and the solar flares, check out:

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/subfield.php

And this page shows different light spectrum views of the sun (takes a little bit to load, even on a broadband connection) - the "bright" spots are the sunspots:

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/SDO_Self_Updating_6.htm

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
TriciaMR

RTR - Week 23 and Mercury

For those in RTR, the NASA spacecraft MESSENGER is suppose to go into orbit around Mercury THIS Thursday (March 17) (here is NASA's site: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/messe ... index.html)

And starting tonight, just after sunset, is the best time to see Mercury this year (as Jupiter will be in the sky as well, so it will be easier to spot Mercury). See here http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essential ... ry-in-2011 for details.

Postby TriciaMR » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:34 am
Well, we went out last night, but it was too cloudy. The kids were bummed. But on the way home we saw a herd of deer - so we got to see something else cool. (There is a state park not 2 miles from our house, even though we live in the suburbs, and there is a heard of deer that lives there year round, but that's the first time we've seen them.)

Postby TriciaMR » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:25 pm
Well, we went out again tonight... Still too much cloud cover to the west to see the Jupiter/Mercury combo. But, we set up the telescope and looked at the moon (very cool to see the craters close up, especially after studying what craters look like on Mercury), and then heard the coyotes howl. On the way out of the park, we saw one of the coyotes cross the road. (Hmmm. I feel a joke coming on.... Why did the coyote cross the road?) Star/moon gazing and nature walk all at once!

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
Cyndi (AZ)

Re: RTR - Week 23 and Mercury

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) »

Trish, thank you so much for posting this!!! The planets are so clear in AZ and so incredibly cool to view! I was out in the street practically screaming and jumping up and down. LOL! Good thing my neighbors already think I'm odd. :-) I can't wait til Thursday night to see the orbit. (I'll have a ton of extended family at a Spring Traning game with me at sunset on Thursday, too. so excited!)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL
s_duguid

Re: RTR - Week 23 and Mercury

Unread post by s_duguid »

Too much cloud coverage here. But the websites have been wonderful to read.
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV
my3sons

Week 24 RtR

Unread post by my3sons »

We found this article regarding the discovery of the remains of Genghis Khan's palace.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6189531/ns/ ... unearthed/

This article is from 2004, but we could not find any more recent articles to see if they actually found the burial place. Very interesting!
cbollin wrote:I poked around a bit and found an article that says "as of 2012 the burial place is still unknown"
cool stuff even to read when not in RTR. thanks :)
-crystal
Mom to all boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 5 and 1

2014-2015 - ECC
Previously completed K - 1850 to Modern Times
MelissaB

RTR - Week 22 Fried Rice

Unread post by MelissaB »

For those doing Rome to Reformation ... the Fried Rice recipe at the end of Week 22 (Ancient China) is delicious! It was so simple, yet it's the best chinese dish we've ever made.

Can I share something with you all? It just so happened -{God is so incredible}- that we had previously scheduled a young woman who recently returned from China to have dinner with us on the same night. She shared her testimony about her work in an orphanage in China where babies with any type of health disorder are brought once abandoned.

Love how the Lord orchestrates even the simplest things.

She arrived while we were still preparing the meal, and she taught me this helpful tip: Before sauteing your vegetables, or especially eggs, when cooking Chinese - make sure your oil gets really, really hot before putting in the food. {also - unimportant - but she added the soy sauce to the eggs after she cooked them. ;)}

Ancient Chinese history was incredibly interesting this week. Enjoy!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4
Amy C.

Re: RTR - Week 22 Fried Rice

Unread post by Amy C. »

Oh, I like this post!!! What a awesome experience for you and your kids! Thanks for sharing! And, yes, the fried rice was yummy. Thanks for the tips!

Amy C.
asheslawson

Re: RTR - Week 22 Fried Rice

Unread post by asheslawson »

Oh...I'm getting excited!!!! I love to make fried rice! We are on week 20 this week...so not quite there.

MelissaB - my stepmom is Chinese & was born & raised in Hong Kong. She taught me the same tip when I was in high school on adding everything to really hot oil. I don't remember her telling me about the soy sauce & eggs trick, but I like that & think I'll try it! I'm really craving a visit to Seattle where her & my dad live - she's an incredible cook and makes the yummiest authentic Chinese food.

Only bummer is I don't have a wok anymore (can't tell her - she'd be disappointed)...so I might try to replace my wok before I get to week 22 - cuz my big cast iron skillet just doesn't do well for stir fry cooking!! LOL :-)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/