RTR - Weeks 19 & 20

If you are using Rome to the Reformation, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

RTR - Weeks 19 & 20

Unread post by Marie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:23 pm

Weeks 19 & 20.

hollyjay

Week 20: Medeival Music

Unread post by hollyjay » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:05 am

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:14 pm

I just wanted to share about a really neat music CD we found. We are in week 20 of Rome to Reformation and I was looking around our library for some Gregorian Chant music. What I found was Canticles of Ecstasy - the music of Hildegard von Bingen by Sequentia. Apparently Hildegard von Bingen was the abbess of Rupertsberg and she wrote this music between 1151 and 1158. How appropriate for the time frame we are studying. And the music is really beautiful!

kellybell

Week 19: RTR Bayeux Tapestry website

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:06 am

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:29 pm

I often hesitate to recommend websites here because I know that we all are probably websurfing a lot and find our own resources just fine. However, this one was so much fun.

Today, in RTR, we studied the Bayeux Tapestry and we were looking at pictures in the RTR books, but I figured I'd get a little more info online and found this cool site.

http://www.bayeuxtapestry.org.uk/

Anyway, it takes you through all 230 feet of the Tapestry and then (check the "activities" link of the homepage) it has some cool activities. Anyway, the thing my kids really liked was the opportunity to design their own tapestry and print it out. Tons of fun.

We ended up spending an hour or so on it and ... now we are behind! Then again "behind" doesn't mean that much to me. The kids now know the story of the Battle of Hastings (told via that tapestry) better than they would've if we hadn't have deviated from our day to play around a little.

Hope this helps some of you...

cbollin

Week 20: RTR castle model book

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:08 am

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:54 pm

Well, after finally getting started on the Castle Model book from the RTR Deluxe package.... my dh and oldest dd (11 y.o) are finished. We didn't start when we thought we would. and the project got pushed aside several weekends for various reasons. It took them several weekends (not all in a row). It wasn't that hard with Dad helping. Even the 8 year old got to help now and then. Oldest is happily playing with it.

It does include its own "action figures" to play with as well. A feature I didn't realize until we got started.

We thought it best to have parent help with this and consider it a group hands on project instead of an independent and supervise project. (Nancy, you had asked about that a while back.) A craft knife is needed. Instructions are easy to follow. Plan to take breaks. Doable, fun and long term. Final size of finished project: about 18" x 24 "

just thought I'd update on that a bit.
--crystal

dhudson

Art

Unread post by dhudson » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:57 pm

I researched more about the Bayeux Tapestry and printed out copies of that which we colored and put into our notebooks. Enchanted learning has a bunch of coloring pages on art in the middle ages. I found it really intriguing how art pushed the culture, versus the other way around in the Renaissance.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

dhudson

RTR Putting together the Medieval Castle

Unread post by dhudson » Sun May 09, 2010 6:46 pm

JoyfulDancer wrote:We are having some trouble putting together the Medieval Castle. First of all, our glue doesn't hold quickly enough. What is a good glue to use? We've been using glue sticks. Second of all, my dds, ages almost 12 and 9.5, are sick of doing all the cutting. How have you divided the work, and how have you helped?

Thanks so much,
Laurie
Dad cut all the pieces out for the kids and that helped a ton. Have you tried glue dots? I have found those to be the best thing ever!
Last edited by dhudson on Sun May 09, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless,
Dawn

cbollin

Re: RTR Putting together the Medieval Castle

Unread post by cbollin » Sun May 09, 2010 7:56 pm

my dh did that one over 3 or 4 weekends. definitely a project I was NOT interested in doing at all.

xacto knife helped.
and for glue -- he says he got some kind of "quick dry craft glue" in the scrapbooking department at Michael's.

It's nice that MFW has one hard project a year and that it isn't this hard in every week.

We had our on display for a long time. Then when we moved, I gave it to another homeschooling family. They have 5 boys and really loved it.

worth the effort.

-crystal
[more here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 901#p27901 ]

hsmom3

Unread post by hsmom3 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:43 pm

The kids helped cut some of the pieces but assembling it was tough for them. It's been a few years since we did it but I used double sided tape. It worked pretty well. I would fold the pieces of tape in half longs ways to fit the tab pieces. I ended up doing most of the work and it did get frustrating but I stuck to the task to show my kids we should not give up even with a hard task!! (And it was hard for Mom!!!)

Blessings,
Susan

Amy in NC

Unread post by Amy in NC » Sun May 09, 2010 11:01 pm

I second the tape suggestion. I also did the project pretty much on my own. It looks great from a distance, but a little messy, with all that tape, up close. Ours is still on display on our dining room table. I think I'm the only one who cares about it. LOL (I'm impressed with my own persistence.) :-) ;)

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

niki

Unread post by niki » Mon May 10, 2010 6:23 am

Thanks for the reminder...

Haven't put together our castle yet, was hoping it could be a dad project...
Thinking of finishing out the school year with it...
gonna get some glue dots!! :)
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

sewgirlie

Anyone make Lefse (Week 19 RTR)?

Unread post by sewgirlie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:02 pm

TriciaMR wrote:Okay, reading the directions... Do you mash the potatoes in the water you boiled them in (sorry, I don't make mashed potatoes that way) and then start adding flour? Seems to me that's how you should, but I'm not sure.
Thanks,
Trish
No, you drain the water. My very Norwegian mom says you make mashed potatoes and then make lefse from them. Usually with left-overs :-) .

Oh... I wish I could pass you my special rolling pin for them :-) . We have them several times a year. You can even buy them in stores here (Northern MN) at Christmas time.
Carrie

TriciaMR

Lefse - Food allergies

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:04 pm

Okay, we don't make mash potatoes the "normal" way because we can't use milk, so we use broth (the kids don't like them with rice or soy milk)...

So, I'm gonna try boiling the potatoes, adding some salt, and then use our dairy free margarine for the butter and see how thick that is before adding flour. This should be fun...

Postby TriciaMR » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:03 pm
That was fun... very sticky and messy to make, too. I don't think I made them thin enough, but when I went too thin they just stuck to the counter and wouldn't pull up without breaking.

We put cinnamon, sugar and honey on ours and that was tasty. But, my 6 measly potatoes made a whole plate double stacked - like 10 or 12 of them. I'll try to get a picture on my blog.

I'm not usually big on the cooking things (Toni didn't want to do a Roman Feast, either) and because we did some of these in ECC (we made humus back then) we haven't repeated them. But this looked like it might be tasty. I think using leftover mashed potatoes (made with milk and butter) would have made this taste even better.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Lefse - Alternative

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:10 pm

We were going to do it, but decided to just make our thick potato cakes instead of thin like the recipe. I was just on auto pilot that day. I always use "planned over" (left overs) mashed taters to fry 'em up.

-crystal

DS4home

RtR Castle Model substitution?

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:33 pm

fdjoyce wrote:I decided not to do the castle building kit in the deluxe package. Was wondering of anyone used something else for castle building fun that you enjoyed & that would work with a wider age range (11 years & down?)
My ds made this castle out of a box, painted it and played with it quite a bit. Enjoyed it so much that he made another one :-)
"Turn a plain cardboard box into an enchanted castle."
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/Boxcastle.shtml

It was pretty simple to make, just cutting the top to look castle-like, then cutting a door into the side. It won't fall apart with play because the strength of the boxes' sides stay intact.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

TriciaMR

Re: RtR Castle Model substitution?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:44 pm

And, you could add paper towel rolls to the corners (with the tops cut with battlements, or take construction paper and make cones and cut to size and glue on the top of the paper towel rolls) to give yourself some towers.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:15 pm

I LOVE the box castle idea!!! A very inexpensive idea. The best kind. And it sounds creative and fun!

If you wanted to spend the bucks, if your kids are into Lego's and/or depending on what part of the year the castle is to be built maybe you could give them the Lego Kingdom King's Castle as a joint gift for Christmas or something. My ds just got into Lego's (big time) and I think next year he would really like that set. The set is around $100 though. Amazon currently carries it for around $90 with free shipping.

Just thought I'd mention it as another alternative. :) We may actually do both, or even all three next year. ;)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

AnnieMarie

Unread post by AnnieMarie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:40 pm

When we were in RTR we used KLUTZ's Castle Building cards where dd1 could build any kind of castle she wanted and it was easy to store when not in use.
[search for: ]Building Cards: How to Build Castles (Klutz), Doug Stillinger (Editor)
AnnieMarie

DD 14 MFWK-1850Mod 2nd cycle ECC CTG AHL
DD 10 MFWK, MFW1, 1850Mod-RTR
DD 5 MFWK, MFW1 ECC-RTR

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 pm

We have not done RTR but we LOVE the Castle-Building Cards! There is so much you can do with them, and as was mentioned, they are easy to store and don't take up much space.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

MelissaB

Re: Week 19: RTR Bayeux Tapestry website

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:14 pm

kellybell wrote:Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:29 pm
Today, in RTR, we studied the Bayeux Tapestry and we were looking at pictures in the RTR books, but I figured I'd get a little more info online and found this cool site.

http://www.bayeuxtapestry.org.uk/
We really enjoyed this site. Thanks for posting, Kelly!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

MelissaB

NINE MEN'S MORRIS GAME TUTORIAL

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Need help playing Nine Men's Morris? Try this 4-min. youtube tutorial - very good. :)

[search for " Nine Men's Morris raftsjraftsj "]

Have fun!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

albanyaloe

RtR - Week 19 - Nine Men's Morris - Need help

Unread post by albanyaloe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:34 am

amelasky wrote:We are having a little bit of a hard time understanding how to play Nine Men's Morris! Guess we need pictures to help us explain how the game needs to be set up and played. Anyone have any tutorial help? :~
Wikipedia has a couple of pictures, the top two pictures shown are the boards I vaguely recall from childhood.

Then on about.com you can see the complete rules and there is a pdf document of a the game board.

HTH
Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

dhudson

Re: RTR - Weeks 19 & 20

Unread post by dhudson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:43 pm

For older kids, we enjoyed playing a game called, "Lancaster". It takes awhile to set up but each player has to set up a kingdom with castles, knights and even a parliament. For younger kids, I like, "Castle Keep".
God Bless,
Dawn