RTR - Weeks 8 & 9

If you are using Rome to the Reformation, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

RTR - Weeks 8 & 9

Unread post by Marie »

Weeks 8 & 9.
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

(1) Science

(a) Do the coloring and labeling before you tape the face & other parts onto your skeleton! It goes much easier that way. Also, my ds, who doesn't like coloring, sometimes just colored & labeled one representative follicle or whatever.

(b) This is an "extra" that is not necessary, but for a child who enjoys music & lives in a fairly quiet household, this was a nice extra:

CD: Lyrical Life Science #3, silly songs about each body system. Often sung to the tune of hillbilly or other goofy tunes. The words were too much for a 5th grader to even attempt to memorize, but he got a laugh & it reinforced the science a bit.

(2) History

The Roman Army project on Wednesday ties in nicely with the read-aloud!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
TriciaMR

RTR - Body Book model storage?

Unread post by TriciaMR »

Winkie wrote:Just wondering if/how other families stored their models made from the Body Book? We are on Week 8 of RTR.

So far I have put the models we've made into a page protector to keep the flaps from accidentally tearing off and putting them in the back of their RTR notebooks. I like having the pages with all their other work in their notebooks. The main drawback to a page protector is that to access the flaps, you need to take the whole page out to look at and then put it back in.

Today we made the skin and I'll really have to fold it up to fit into a page protector. I haven't looked ahead but now I'm wondering how many models are going to be larger than page-size and what to do with them. Usually I take a photo of over-sized projects, but that won't work in this case because you'd lose the peekaboo flaps.

What have you done?
So far we've just put them in a manila file folder.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
Julie in MN

Re: RTR - Body Book model storage?

Unread post by Julie in MN »

It's been several years for us, but I think the skin was the only one that didn't either fit in a page protector or go on the skeleton you build. The skin was displayed on a table for a while, and maybe I folded it in half to put in the notebook later? I could check these things to be sure...

Oh, and the spine with a tube and string had to be flattened to fit in the page protector. Diehard notebooker here :~
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
cbollin

Re: RTR - Body Book model storage?

Unread post by cbollin »

I'm in figure it out as I go mode. I remember first time, we just put things on the wall and went from there. This year it's been put them in expanded manila file folder. Then, I wondered what to do with the hinge examples... in a paper bag right now.

this page protector thing is sounding good. I'd fold down the two hairs on the skin, and then fold the two halves to be back and front of protector page?

our back bone with spine (did that yesterday right before going to my chiropractor)....... that will be take a picture. We used a knitted belt and Bend a Roos for that.

-crystal
MelissaB

TIBERIUS site

Unread post by MelissaB »

For those wanting a little more info on Tiberius, this site was helpful:
http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/augustus.html
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4