General ideas for science in RTR: The Human Body

If you are using Rome to the Reformation, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

General ideas for science in RTR: The Human Body

Unread post by Marie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:27 pm

General ideas for science in RTR: The Human Body.

NOTE: You may also find related ideas posted on other boards:
Kindergarten
Us: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44

RTR weekly ideas
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 157#p92157

RTR Archives
Copies: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12108
Paper choices: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7833
How many models per family / how big: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5701

tiffany

RTR - Body Book models for each child?

Unread post by tiffany » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:26 am

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:06 pm by tiffany
Starting to look through my RTR manual. I was wondering what other large families have done with the Body Book models. Did you do a model for every child? Or did you make it a group project? We would probably have 4 children wanting to participate in this.

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:14 pm by kellybell
We've got four kids. Each kid made a model (my youngest was five at the time and she did okay, but not great). I think we did just one spine, but I don't remember why.

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:09 pm by 3koolkids
We did just one model. They can be fairly detailed and my 3rd grade twins needed some help. On some of the smaller models they each did one.

sewardmom

Science video

Unread post by sewardmom » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:31 am

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:15 pm

One video series we borrowed from the library we still remember well. It has been a couple of years. We will be doing RTR in the fall and since anatomy is part of that study, I might check them out again.

We liked most of these. They are partly animated (if I remember correctly, have some funny parts ) and most revolve around a doctor named Dr. Pancreas. In some of the videos, someone travels inside the body to show us the 'inside'.

I had to get them through Inter Library Loan and since they are older videos, DVD was not available. (VHS only)

Come See How We Fight Infections - shows how our body fights infections, some parts we found humorous.

Come See What the Doctor Sees
It is a partly animated film about a girl's routine doctors visit.

Also in this series:
Come See About Nutrition and Exercise
Come See What First Aid Can Do

HTH,
~Terri

jasntas

Re: How to Copy The Body Book?

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:17 pm

I'm having the same issue with the God and the History of Art book. It's driving me nuts that you have to copy so many pages for both kids to have a copy. Why can't they make this an extra for a little more money. I don't want to take the book apart because it's such a big book.

What I have done in the past for smaller, bound books; I have ripped the front and back covers off. Then removed small sections of the pages at a time and trimmed off the glue from the binding. Then I placed them in sheet protectors and put them in a three ring binder with the cover in the cover pocket of the binder. I hope that makes sense. It's easier to do it than to explain it.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

cbollin

How to Copy The Body Book?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Jami wrote:So I know this is more personal preference, but in RTR, did you remove the binding to make all the copies of the pages in The Body Book? I started copying pages with the book intact and thought about how much easier it would be to copy loose pages.

So if you took the binding of, how did you do it? Do I have to take it in to have the binded end chopped off? How do you keep the book once it's not binded? In a folder or something? Just looking for ideas. Thanks!
I didn't remove the binding. I just did the few pages as needed, and only a week at a time. I did the copies at home on printer. Yes, some parts were a tiny inconvenience with margins, but not worth a big deal to me. I know I've been "frustrated", nah.. too strong of a wrong... baffled. that's a better word.. I've been baffled that the publisher of that book (The Body Book) made the pages to be copied, those originals are double sided. why?

I guess I did the copying in such small doses that it wasn't that bad. Hopefully someone with copy shop binding experiences will have a cool easy solution? maybe it's one of those deals where you take it somewhere and they go "hi YA!" and chop it off and re bind it in spiral for you?

-crystal

Jami

Unread post by Jami » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:45 pm

cbollin wrote:I guess I did the copying in such small doses that it wasn't that bad. Hopefully someone with copy shop binding experiences will have a cool easy solution? maybe it's one of those deals where you take it somewhere and they go "hi YA!" and chop it off and re bind it in spiral for you?
I only started to make copies for the whole book because it said to in the preparation section of the teacher's manual. I think I'll just go week by week also.

I guess for GATHOA, I copied just a week's pages at a time so it didn't seem too bad. Maybe I'll do that for The Body Book so I don't have to do it all now and I won't have to take the book apart. :o)
And it won't seem so tedious up front.

Thanks for letting me think "out loud".
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:09 pm

When we used the Body Book, I went to Kinkos and had them go hi-YA (LOL Crystal!). It was only a couple bucks back then. I brought my own carstock and copied it there. I then brought it home and cut out a bunch of it during the summer (and later when dh was sick, my mil finished the cutting for me, bless her).

As for GHA, you can just use a drawing tablet for most of it, if you like. I had 2 kids doing GHA at the time (4th grade & 12th grade), and I only copied what I needed. Here's a post back when it was fresher in my mind. There is of course more art in RTR than in this CTG post, but the paint & marker cards take up some of that.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 382#p51323

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

The Body Book - RtR...HELP Please!!!

Unread post by cbollin » Wed May 16, 2012 5:20 pm

amelasky wrote:We are having the hardest time figuring out our Ear instructions for the Body Book. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of completed model to see if we can figure out what's wrong with our model?

Thanks!
Annie
let's see if Lainie (mishmashmaggie) has it...

try here, scroll through on this link
http://www.mishmashmaggie.com/2009/11/w ... 7-rtr.html

my guess is you're struggling on the attachment of the hammer, anvil and stirrups (the smallest bones of the human body-- collectively called the ossicles) to the cochlea? that's the last pic of the ear model on that link

?
-crystal

amelasky

Re: The Body Book - RtR...HELP Please!!!

Unread post by amelasky » Wed May 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks so much! That was exactly what we were struggling with. I need to just bookmark that blog. Because it always has what I am looking for.
Annie
Married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 18years. Blessed momma to my princess (14) and little warrior (10).
Exploration to 1850

MelissaB

Re: General ideas for science in RTR: The Human Body

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:04 pm

The TM now includes a list of the page numbers that need to be copied from the Body Book. We made copies at Office Depot very inexpensively.
In God & the History of Art, our dd's each use their own Sketch book for all of the assignments, and that works wonderfully.

* Adding this mid-way through the year... I made copies from The Body Book for each child, but for most sections, we've only needed one copy. Each child colors and cuts a few of the parts, then we collaboratively put them all together. Could have cut our copying expense in 1/2. ;)
Last edited by MelissaB on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

wsterk

Unread post by wsterk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:25 pm

jasntas wrote:I don't want to take the book apart because it's such a big book.
I, too, wondered about making all these copies from a tightly bound book. I wanted to be fast and efficient SO....I went ahead and tore off front and back covers, ripped each page out and peeled off binding glue. I 3 hole punched them and put them in a small 3 ring binder. It was painful making the decision to pull apart the book, but now that it is done, it looks nice still and the copying was so much easier!! Just thought I would pass this along!

MelissaB

FIRST ENCYCLOPEDIA OF HUMAN BODY LINKS

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:02 pm

!! !! >> Don't forget the internet links w/ the book First Encycl. of the Human Body - great links, esp. for Wk. 1:

http://www.usborne-quicklinks.com/usa/u ... rom=2&To=3

Have Fun! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

TriciaMR

RTR skeleton questions

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:05 pm

wsterk wrote:We are in week 10. Today we cut out all the skeleton pieces and will put them together next but I was wondering-- do we add other body parts TO THE skeleton? I was thinking we did but noticed the next few weeks look like little models like we have been doing. Eventually do we add lungs, digestive system, etc... to the skeleton? We cut out pieces to 2 model skeletons and it was a lot of tedious (one of my ds spelling words!!) cutting. Wondering if we should just do one skeleton IF we continue to add other parts to skeleton model. Thanks for your advice.
Some of them you can if you want to - I think the lungs with a diaphragm we added, but the heart we didn't, and I think we added the digestive system. But not everything was added to it. We kept a skeleton up on the wall and added to it. Sometimes we taped the "mini-models" around it (like the one showing the different joint types, and the eyeball and such).
Cyndi (AZ) wrote:I'm so glad you asked this. We're at the same point. I was under the impression that all of these "models" were going to fit together, but I see that my impression was so off. I really don't want to give up an entire wall to post everything. The only thing we have taped up right now is the skin, and that's because it was too big to put in the 3-ring binder. My dd has already been through Apologia Anatomy and I pretty much decided to go through RTR's anatomy lessons this year because of the Body Book, but I'm a little disappointed in it.

What models did you leave posted, Trish? How did you store everything?
I think we just hung the Skeleton, and then what was meant to attach to the skeleton, and then the one showing the different joints and how they worked I left up there until it fell off the wall (LOL!). The rest we kept in a folder. We had started early that year, so the kids hung it up in the window for halloween, and then we moved it back to the wall under the timeline.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: RTR skeleton questions

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:09 pm

I wanted to double-check my memory so I looked it up:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5701

I was going to say that everything fit in our notebook or in the skeleton. But I see there was the skin that had to be folded in half, and the spinal cord that had to be squashed flat.

But really our skeleton had all its organs, not just bones. It's still in the basement :)

Julie

P.S. I do things like cutting during the summer. That year, my mother-in-law helped out with some of the cutting, too. I don't like spoiling the enthusiasm with a slow start.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Julie in MN wrote:really our skeleton had all its organs
That's good to know. Hilarious, but good to know.

Thanks for responding, ladies. That does help a lot with my planning.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 pm

We hung the skeleton on the wall & added the respiratory and digestive systems later. We'll add the cardio next week. :)

Our hallway wall is covered with anatomy. Every time we have a guest over, they seem drawn to our "Wall of Body Book Parts."
Anyone else love living in a homeschool home? ;)
Last edited by MelissaB on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Cyndi (AZ) wrote:I have to admit that I imagined Trish's house having this perfect diagram with red yarn connecting all the smaller models to where they fit into the body, etc., and it got me a little panicky that I could never keep up with that . . .
Puleaze... Don't worry about keeping up with me!?!? You should see my these days! And my children... Sigh...

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:10 pm

I was wondering the same thing, if we would be adding to it. We only made one skeleton yesterday because the kids didn't want to do two. We are currently renting so I didn't want to put anything on our walls so I hung our skeleton on our frig. Everything else is in expandable folders. We folded our skin, too.
TriciaMR wrote:Puleaze... Don't worry about keeping up with me!?!? You should see my these days! And my children... Sigh...

-Trish
I can totally relate, Trish. I was hoping for more 'free' time as my kids got older but being they are both dyslexic it seems like the older they get the more work there is for me. AND my dh is now pastoring as well. I'm so tired. But still loving hs'ing and don't plan to give up my kids to ps. The church will have to wait for me. ;)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

wsterk

Unread post by wsterk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:14 am

thanks for the advice. we will plan accordingly. i have a brand new walls so it is difficult to tape things up, (eek!) although having the visual is important as we continue to study the body. Thanks again!!