Field Trip ideas for RTR

If you are using Rome to the Reformation, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Field Trip ideas for RTR

Unread post by Marie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:28 pm

Field Trip ideas for RTR.

Julie - Staff

medieval times dinner theater

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:23 am

LSH in MS wrote:Has anyone done the medieval times dinner theater? I found this online recently and it looks like fun! There is an arena in the middle with tables all around. THe "knights" in full costume perform the medieval games (jousting etc. on horseback) while you eat your 4 course medieval dinner without silverware.

It's kind of expensive but they have matinees for a cheaper price. I hope we can do this after we finish RTR.
Posted Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:14 pm by Lucy
We did it while studying RTR and the kids liked it. It is a shorter show when you go on a field trip. I do not know if this is the same as the matinee show, but that is the time of day our show was at. There were lots of school groups there.

Posted Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:25 pm by Sue in MN
My dd17 went to this when she was in Chicago with the high school choir a few years ago. We don't have one near to us.

We did go to the Renaissance Festival last year and saw a real live joust. I just love things like this. Our local Renaissance Festival has a day for school groups. We choose to only go on that day because the partying was not there for one thing. I have gone other years and felt a dark presence but I didn't sense this when I went on the school group day

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:56 am by mom2-3
Its been years since I have gone BUT when I did go, I do remember it being very G rated!!

It was loads and loads of fun! Makes me wish I lived near one so I could do the same thing with my kiddos!

Again when I went it was very very G....I don't know how they could change a joust to make it anything but G......but then again you just never know these days....Oh BTW I went to one in Southern California so I know its not in your neck of the woods but I would think the concept would be the same.

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:09 am by Amy in NC
I've been to the one in Kissimmee, FL three times. The first time I was 16yo & I loved it. We were studying Knights in 10th gr English @ the time & my presentation received an A. The 2nd time was on our honeymoon & we had an equally good time. The last time was in 2003 when we took our 2 oldest girls, who were almost 3 & almost 5. They also loved it. Definitely worth the price if you're doing RTR.

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:09 pm by MJ in IL
I have been to both a Medieval Times and several Rennaissance Festivals many years ago. We have the MT near us but are waiting until next year to take our family as we will be doing RtR. This is a permanent building and year-round meal and show.

The Ren. Festivals I remember from my childhood were so much fun. They take place outside in the summer or fall. A family member of mine continues to frequently attend as an adult. I will suffice it to say, she has a completely different experience now... We still plan on taking the children sometime, but am glad to know to watch the skits (many with adult overtones or themes) and to be aware of partying that also is present. It could be that that her experience is because she is looking for that aspect...but I was so surprised, as my childhood memories are it being a great family outing.

I think both would be fun to do along with RtR! Molly

KimR

Unread post by KimR » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:52 am

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:25 am

+ every year we have a wonderful Renaissance Festival about an hour away from us (we live in upstate NY). You can rent period costumes and enjoy the life, food, and activities of that time period. It's a blast!
+ We've also gone to Medieval Times restaurant. Not quite as authentic looking as the festival, but still a lot of fun.

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:54 am

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:54 pm

We're doing RTR, and will still be doing RTR on Labor Day weekend when our city has their Renaissance Festival. We definitely plan to do that.

As we're doing the Astronomy study through the summer, we also want to
+ visit an astronomy type of museum we just learned about recently. Well, dh and I do... the girls don't know yet. They may be a bit less excited about it than we are. LOL.
+ There's some sort of omnimax theater there, too, so that might be fascinating for them.

Julie in MN

RTR Field Trips

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:55 am

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:04 pm

* Fancy churches (We toured the Basilica of St. Mary & St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral, both in Mpls.)

* Experiencing worship or kids activities with different Christian denominations during study of the early church & the early Reformation

* Renaissance festival in the fall, or would have liked to attend the weekend held at Caponi Art Park (in Eagan - freewill donation)

* Science museum (lots on the human body, including the little lab where kids put on lab coats and experiment with their saliva etc.)

* Wished we would have found a planetarium or university telescope for astronomy. While the Mpls. planetarium is being rebuilt, you may be able to tour the mobile Exploradome, see http://www.mplanetarium.org/exploradome.htm

* Noticing things on the Vikings (not the football team! but sometimes things that were associated with the team, such as their ship out on Hwy. 494 or the helmet you sometimes see in ads)

* Noticing the use of different pillars around town (and in the two fancy churches we toured), as well as arches & other Roman (& Greek) architectural influences. For those interested in architecture, there's a book called
AIA Guide to the Twin Cities
It's pricey but has lots of info. I think most major cities have such a book, although you might look online for reviews because apparently some of the books are more interesting than others.

* Shakespeare in the Park, there's nothing like seeing Shakespeare the way it was intended -- in a live performance, and the theater troops that perform "in the park" are very non-intimidating and funny.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

kellybell

RTR Field Trips

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:56 am

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:41 pm

Local observatory for "Deep Impact" viewing

Museum for human body exhibit

And, don't be afraid to ask about visiting mosques, factories, businesses, etc.

Amy in NC

Astronomy Field Trip

Unread post by Amy in NC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:46 pm

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:54 pm

My kids & I went to visit my mom last week in Lexington, KY. When we got there she suggested we visit the Creation Museum. I was so excited that she brought it up, since I knew I could not afford it. But she said if I drove she would buy lunch & pay for the museum. YEAH!! Well, it was wonderful.

The planetarium was amazing, even though 15mo ds whined through the whole thing. I'm not sure that I can describe the show very well. It basically shows the universe & how only God could make it. It also shows our insignificant size in the universe. It was fascinating. It took one star in one constellation, then "took" you there. Then when it turned you back around the entire Milky Way was just a black spot. You couldn't even see the sun. It is a definite step up from the old planetariums of our childhood.

My oldest dd got a lot out of it. And I think it will pay great dividends as we go through history over the coming years. I highly recommend going if you are in that area of the country.

We also had another neat moment while eating lunch that day. There was some kind of business we could see out the window of the restaurant. There were a lot of international flags flying out in front of the building. Well, dd9.5 was able to name most of the flags from our studies during ECC this year. It made me feel so good that she was able to remember them. She was even able to guess at some based on surrounding countries that we had studied.

Having a blast in MFW!

SandKsmama

RTR field trips

Unread post by SandKsmama » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:34 am

lynut wrote:I am looking for field trip ideas for RTR, So far I have found a medieval fest and a Shakespeare production on a canal boat. Did you do any field trips for this time period what were they and how did your kids like them?
We went to a Renaissance festival, and my kids LOVED it. They still (4? years later) are talking about it, and want to go again. Ours had a jousting exhibition, lots of games and rides, glass blowing demonstration, food, etc. The one we went to had homeschool days, so we went on one of those days, and it was a lot less expensive. VERY fun!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

jamidphillips

Great Field Trip in Florida

Unread post by jamidphillips » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:04 am

“Vatican Splendors: A Journey Through Faith and Art,” is on the last city of its three city U.S. tour. It was in St. Louis first and arrived just about the time we were finishing R2R. This is a fabulous exhibit with neat stuff for kids like a mock up of the scaffolding Michelangelo would have used to paint the Sistine Chapel. Great for those in R2R or Explorations, but honestly - great for anyone! If you can't get to Ft. Lauderdale, the website has some great resources, as well.

There are 170 works from the Vatican on display as part of the exhibit that opens today January 29 at the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale through April.

Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale: http://moaflnsu.org/

Vatican Splendors http://www.vaticansplendors.com/

cbollin

Re: Great Field Trip in Florida

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:59 am

Yesterday, on another forum I'm one, an old friend mentioned about online virtual tour of the Sistine Chapel. Of course, she gave the disclaimer to remind that some of the artwork will have some nudity (like the Creation). so if that's not suitable in a family, you have warning and don't go there. :)

But it's a fun, virtual tour on this same topic of faith, art, and the vatican artworks. You can zoom in and out and "walk" to the ceiling to zoom in.
http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/ ... index.html

nowhere near as much fun as the field trip you described. But wanted to share.

Mom2theteam

Medieval Times Dinner

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:23 pm

wsterk wrote:Hello. We are in RTR and studying the Middle Ages. Loving it!

Wondering if anyone has gone to the Medieval Times Dinner/Tournament. I see that the Chicago location has an Educational Matinee as well as their regular programs. The educational matinee includes some teaching about life during Middle AGes and then a condensed version of the program. Have you been to the Educational program? I am trying to decide if we go the the teaaching/program or just the 2 hour program. Any thoughts???
I've never been to the educational one. I think the one near us may have it also. Of course, I've actually never been to the one near me. LOL! But, I've been to the regular program several times while on vacation. Very entertaining and fun to watch and be part of. They get you involved by giving each section a knight to cheer for. A few things to keep in mind...they do call the women a name that now-a-days is not acceptable. It starts with a "w." Feel free to PM me if you want to know exactly. In the "Foyer" area where you wait to be seated, there is a lot of stuff with dragons and magicy type things. You can easily sit down and not walk around if it bothers you. We took my 5 year old several years ago. He was a little too young for it it because it wasn't hands on and lasted 2 hrs. So, he does remember it and he did enjoy parts of it, but was not nearly as interested as we had thought he would be. For him, it got old after a little while. Hopefully, that makes sense. And, one last thing....they don't give you silverware because during the time period, they did not have it. So, either plan to enjoy the experience with your hands or bring plastic. I'm silly and bring plastic because I can't handle drinking my soup. &) Oh, one other thing, we have been several times and we have decided that it is worth the extra cost to sit up front. You really do get a much better view. If you go on a weekday during the mid-day (and not in the summer), you will likely get up front without having to pay for it. :)

Also, I've never done RTR. Therefore, I have no idea if it is pertinent to what you are actually studying. ;)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

schelean

Re: Medieval Times Dinner

Unread post by schelean » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 pm

We went to the one in Dallas last year. We did not attend the educational part. We just attended the regular show. As the previous poster stated, there is lots to see and do before the show. I highly recommend it with RtR. They always run discounts/holiday specials right before the end of the year. We were able to get a good package for a family of 6. Fun! Fun!
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6