EX-1850 - Weeks 9 & 10

If you are using Exploration to 1850, please share your ideas with us.
MFW-Marie

EX-1850 - Weeks 9 & 10

Unread post by MFW-Marie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:38 am

EX-1850 - Weeks 9 & 10.

cbollin

Week 10: EX1850 science, TH

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:04 am

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:36 am

This week (10) my girls enjoyed added to their science pages by painting sun catchers. We found a cheap kit at Walmart that was a set of 12 insects ready to paint. We substituted it in place of the suggested activity for the Thursday project.

--crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon May 19, 2008 2:59 pm

(1) Science videos for fish unit
Experience with an Eel, Moody Science DVD
Voice of the Deep, Moody Science DVD

These are very old Moody videos (dates back to when I was a baby, wow!), so they are much slower but I think a little more in-depth than modern science videos. Or at least they speak to children with a higher vocabulary than now-a-days.

Also as a bonus, each has a different faith message -- probably more than a science message!

In the Eel one, the scientist discusses seriously how faith and science interact, and concludes that faith, if based on good reasoning, is necessary and logical for scientists to have in order to make any progress in their studies. (One example was when he visited the pyramids, if he didn't believe there were creators of those pyramids because he couldn't see them, and just concluded they happened randomly, would that be good science?) And he talks about his own search and the commitment he made to God to share with others what he found to be true.

In the Deep one, you learn that scientists didn't believe fish and other undersea creatures made noises until they discovered an instrument that could "hear" what our ears can't hear. That illustrates the fact that things can be true even if we can't "see" them :o)

(2) Titles for notebooking pages
I had trouble combining the notebooking in week 9 onto one page, since the different events weren't connecting together under one theme in my little brain. I finally came up with this theme, & my brain was happy :o)

The Colonies & The Native Americans
* John Eliot & the first Indian Church, MA, 1660
* King Phillip’s War, MA, 1675-1676
* French/Iroquois War, Canada, 1666
* Eleazar Wheelock & Dartmouth College, NH, 1769

After that, I got the hang of it. Our week 10 combo notebook page went like this:

The Age of Enlightenment - Science in the 1700s
* Isaac Newton
* John Locke – Science in Government
* Science in Farming

Colonies - Extra notes
During weeks 9 & 10, several colonies are in the readings but not all are assigned notebook pages. If you want to notice/discuss every single one, here is a list I made of the colonies covered in weeks 9-10:
  • (Connecticut is mentioned, & you could add pgs. 275-277 of Bldg. a City to find out more)
    Pennsylvania
    Delaware - optional instructions are given
    Georgia
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Re:

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:01 pm

Julie in MN wrote: (2) Titles for notebooking pages
I had trouble combining the notebooking in week 9 onto one page, since the different events weren't connecting together under one theme in my little brain. I finally came up with this theme, & my brain was happy :o)

The Colonies & The Native Americans
* John Eliot & the first Indian Church, MA, 1660
* King Phillip’s War, MA, 1675-1676
* French/Iroquois War, Canada, 1666
* Eleazar Wheelock & Dartmouth College, NH, 1769

After that, I got the hang of it. Our week 10 combo notebook page went like this:

The Age of Enlightenment - Science in the 1700s
* Isaac Newton
* John Locke – Science in Government
* Science in Farming

Colonies - Extra notes
During weeks 9 & 10, several colonies are in the readings but not all are assigned notebook pages. If you want to notice/discuss every single one, here is a list I made of the colonies covered in weeks 9-10:
  • (Connecticut is mentioned, & you could add pgs. 275-277 of Bldg. a City to find out more)
    Pennsylvania
    Delaware - optional instructions are given
    Georgia

I love how your brain works! :-) We're going to do this, too.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

MelissaB

Peach Pie - Delicious!

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Peach Pie recipe in Week 10 (studying Georgia Colony) - Delicious! Quick and easy, too. And pretty healthy!

A new regular in our home! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

MFW-Marie

John Eliot

Unread post by MFW-Marie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:07 pm

The first Bible printed in the U.S. was translated by John Eliot (you'll read about him Monday, Week 9).
Here's a short 1-minute audio :
101. The Eliot Indian Bible

https://soundcloud.com/museumofthebible ... s/the-book

That was in 1661. Today, many people still have no Bible in their own language. That’s why we’re thrilled to be a part of Bible translation work world-wide. Because everyone is precious to Him!

Marie