EX-1850 - Weeks 23 & 24

If you are using Exploration to 1850, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

EX-1850 - Weeks 23 & 24

Unread post by Marie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:35 am

EX-1850 - Weeks 23 & 24.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:31 pm

(1) Week 23 - South Carolina Motto - While I breathe, I hope
My son & I both were curious about what this motto represented. I didn't find anything in the encyclopedia so I did a little online search. I found the saying credited to an Irish noble (Dillion) and a Scottish Saint (Andrew), but no real connection.

The only mention I found was that the motto was related to the state "seal." Sort of a vicious circle - which came first, the motto or the seal?! And I also found that those early South Carolinians liked their Latin sayings!

According to e-ReferenceDesk:
  • South Carolina Motto
    South Carolina is credited with two mottoes: (1) Animis Opibusque Parati, meaning Ready in soul and resource [on the same page, they also say it means, "Prepared in mind and resources"], found in Virgil's Aeneid, Book II, Line 799, and (2) Dum Spiro, Spero, signifying While I breathe, I hope, which was the motto of the Irish Viscounts Dillion. The latter refers to the figure of Hope on the State seal.

Two more Latin mottoes appear on the State seal: (1) Quis separabit?, meaning Who shall separate us?, and (2) Meliorem Lapsa Locavit, which freely translated signifies, He has planted a better than the fallen. Adopted in 1776.

South Carolina State Seal
    On April 2, 1776, the President and Privy Council were authorized by Resolution of the General Assembly "to design and cause to be made a Great Seal of South Carolina."

Both the arms and reverse symbolize the battle fought on June 28, 1776, between the unnamed and unfinished fort at Sullivan's Island (now Fort Moultrie), and the British Fleet.
(2) Week 24 - Extra page
I decided to have ds make an extra notebook page at the beginning of week 24, which didn't seem too busy. I chose to have him review several of the African Americans we had read about, and make a page recognizing their contribution to our country. Here is what we came up with:

Early Americans From Africa
- Amos Fortune (1710-1801) - from the read-aloud

- Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806) - mostly from a DVD we had, Drive Thru History; the section on him in George Washington's World is read in week 28

- Olaudah Equiano (1745-1797) - from week 17

- Phillis Wheatley (1753-1784) - from week 15, plus we read one of her poems in a book we had, America in Poetry, edited by Charles Sullivan

A couple more famous folks we didn't write about but we did read about in books we happened to have:

- Crispus Attucks (1723-1770) - one of the 4 who died in the Boston "Massacre," mentioned in Heroes of the Revolution by David A. Adler

- James Armistead (1748-1830) - a slave who was allowed to enlist, became a trusted spy for Lafayette, & was granted freedom after his service, in a chapter of Victory or Death! by Rappaport & Verniero

(3) Week 24 - Noah Webster DVD
There is a segment on Noah Webster on the Drive-Thru History DVD

(4) William Carey
As we read about William Carey, I had a desire to reinforce the idea of Mr. Carey's lasting importance even today.

(a) I showed my 7th grader a catalog I happened to have, called the William Carey Library (from US Center for World Mission).

(b) I began reading The Legacy of William Carey myself. It's based on talks given by a couple from India, the Mangalwadis. The first chapter basically goes over every facet of life in India that was influenced by Mr. Carey, and is a very easy chapter to read & to summarize for a 7th grader (it has large topic headings).

Later chapters get into more depth on broad topics such as women, missions, and conversion, which would be way over my 7th grader's head. However, I found their insight to be a helpful apologetic for discussing missions with folks who like to criticize Christian missions these days.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Penny†

Re: EX-1850 - Weeks 23 & 24

Unread post by Penny† » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:48 am

We recently finished reading aloud the book about William Carey. We then found a DVD on netflix entitled "Candle in the Dark" about William Carey. It followed the book very closely and was a nice little add-on. I would also recommend the DVD, "Amazing Grace" (for your older children only because of the graphic nature of slavery portrayed) about the life of William Wilberforce who actually lived during the same time as William Carey and is referenced in the book. Olaudah Equiano (1745-1797) - from week 17 mentioned above is also a key role in the movie.
We enjoyed both as a family time movie.
Penny†-wife to dh for 29 years, mom to 5 and Nana to 2
Plans for 2012-13:
ds 9th: MFW AHL; ds 6th and dd 2nd: MFW Creation to the Greeks
Previously used: Ex. to 1850 and 1850 to Modern

klewfor3

Great project to use with Botany week 23 transpiration

Unread post by klewfor3 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:36 am

Ah! My pic didn't post! I'll try it again later. Here are the basic instructions:

Cut a plastic bottle (gatorade sized) in half and remove the spout with a utility knife
Fill bottom half with 1" pea gravel
1/2" activated charcoal (pet store)
And the rest with damp potting soil
Insert plants (like wood fern, strawberry begonia, and asparagus fern)
Add small plastic toys to decorate
Secure the top half to the bottom with washi tape
Hot glue a bouncy ball to seal the top

The kids really got excited about these. The bright washi tape and bouncy ball on top really add a fun element.

It turns out so cute!
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)