General ideas for U.S. Presidents

If you are using Exploration to 1850, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

General ideas for U.S. Presidents

Unread post by Marie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:36 am

General ideas for U.S. Presidents.

Additional ideas might be found on the Adventures board:

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 654#p29654 (Washington)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 919#p50618 (Lincoln)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 918#p50198 (Lincoln)

cbollin

Alternatives to gluing president cards in notebook

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:51 pm

3koolkids wrote:Has anyone else used a different method than what is recommended in the guide for the president cards? I don't want to glue them to paper. I thought about taping one side down so that we can peek underneath if needed.
I simply put card on the right hand side of the paper and tape along the left edge of the card to the paper. then we can flip back and forth. It fits quite nicely that way.

-crystal

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:44 pm

It kind of hurts, but I just decided to glue them. The kids think it is great!
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT

JohnsWife

Unread post by JohnsWife » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:33 am

How about stapling them?
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it. -- C.S. Lewis

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:46 pm

What about the corner stickers that are used for scrapbooking photos or postcards? That is what I am planning on using.
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850

Julie in MN

Videos

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:40 pm

• American Presidents Life Portraits: George Washington through George W. Bush.
    Set of 2 videos by C-SPAN (not sure if it's on DVD)
For older kids who are ready to study a little further before they write a page about a president, C-SPAN has lots of teacher resources, including a short video about each president. We watched the next segment whenever we started a new president. (Ours doesn't cover the most recent presidents, so we watch those online:)
It looks like it's on DVD now: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.812 ... tegory=121

You can also watch these for free at C-SPAN, click on "biographical vignette"
http://www.americanpresidents.org/presi ... ington.asp
(then click on "pick a president" for the next guy)

Also, I didn't use it, but the study guides for each pres. on the video are here, plus extras:
http://www.americanpresidents.org/class ... erview.asp
Last edited by Julie in MN on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

President reference books

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:12 am

We have used some general books on all the presidents to help make the president notebook pages this year (7th grader). Since the president are NOT the only history topic of the day, we needed quick information, but wanted it to be meaningful, and fun was a bonus.

We often started with the short C-SPAN video (see my last post).

Then, here are a couple of books in which we could quickly find interesting facts:
- U.S. Presidents, Feats & Foul-Ups, The Good, the Bad, and the Silly, by Nell Fuqua
- Don't Know Much About the Presidents, by Kenneth C. Davis

Here are some we used when we needed to understand something a bit more. Most have tons of pictures:
- The History of the American Presidency, by John Bowman
- Scholastic Encyclopedia of the Presidents and Their Times, by David Rubel
- The Reader's Companion to the American Presidency, by Brinkley & Dyer, read by mom only. Includes a unique chart on statistics during each president's term -- population, federal finances, etc.

Here are a few more that we used on occasion.
- Lives of the Presidents, Fame, Shame, and What the Neighbors Thought, by Krull. In the same series that MFW recommends for musicians. We enjoyed some of the half-page descriptions, but never got to the ones that were several pages long. (Usually we needed info on the lesser known presidents who had shorter stories, anyways.) Ds also picked this up during book basket now & again.
- The Buck Stops Here, by Provensen. Has a large page for each pres, with several little drawings, and some info in the illustration or the caption about what was going on at the time or what the president did. Some are on a sort-of timeline or time sequence. Not a lot of info, but occasionally made a point more clear (such as Taylor's military career).
- First Pets, Presidential Best Friends, by Fuqua. Has a page or so on *most* of the presidents (I count 34 out of 43 -- the ones who had pets?), up through G.W.B. There is a list of their pets (some presidents had lots!) and one or two paragraphs about the pres/pets.
- Yo, Millard Fillmore! by Cleveland & Alvarez. Each pres has page of info in paragraph form (the book is small). Then there is a page for mnemonic devices to help memorize the presidents. First there is a memory word or two for the president's name ("a dam" for JQ Adams), which is also illustrated. Then there is also a story sequence/quiz for remembering all the memory words in order (JQ Adams' boat falls over the dam, but the water turns into playing cards, all "Jacks" for Jackson). We didn't use this book except for book basket, but it I hear the device has been helpful for some folks.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 15 times in total.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:28 am

My brother got the girls a set of Fandex cards on the Presidents/Vice Presidents. It was nice to add just a little bit more reading on them without too much to read. My oldest liked them.

for fun we enjoying clicking around on the Kids page of the official whitehouse dot gov website.
go there,
click on Kids (near top)
click history

It has some biographical information on each president, not just the current one. Lots of information for Kids and education on that website about the executive branch of the US.

dhudson

Re: General ideas for U.S. Presidents

Unread post by dhudson » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:21 pm

For kids that like to color - we got the Dover, "American Presidents Coloring Book" which has a page per President. We are going to use that as our notebooking page as we are making a Presidents timeline with the facts that the TM recommended for notebooking. I wanted a visible timeline for my kids to remember the Presidents better.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie in MN

Presidents on Money

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:50 am

Page 9 of these "federal reserve lesson plans" has kids identify the presidents on the bills. It's designed for older kids, but I thought it was fun: (page 9) http://www.stlouisfed.org/education_res ... cy&Fed.pdf

Page 12 also has some interesting info about the markings on the bills.
Page 21 identifies all of the details on the Lincoln $5 bill.
Page 22 is an interesting definition of "money."

Julie in MN

Singing the Presidents

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 29, 2010 3:44 pm

CD: U.S. Presidents March
SingNLearn.com

This is kinda fun for learning to sing all the presidents in order of their presidency. It was created by Sing-n-Learn, which is online, but I found it at a booth at convention. Ours goes through GW Bush.

klewfor3

Memorizing Presidents

Unread post by klewfor3 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:26 pm

We have used the Aliens vs. Presidents app for my 4th grade son (it is by the same group the did Stack the States). He has to play for 10 min a day and he has learned all the Presidents. It really works and he has fun doing it! I would absolutely recommend it.
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

Poohbee

Re: Memorizing Presidents?

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:51 am

Ooh, yes, we love both the Stack the States and Aliens vs. Presidents apps at our house, too. :-) I know that Aliens vs. Presidents sounds kind of weird, but you really do learn a lot about the presidents, and the kids have fun doing it!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Mom2theteam

Children's book of presidents?

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:56 pm

jasntas wrote:Does anyone know of a good, unbiased trivia book for kids about the presidents that we could add to our presidents study in EXP-1850 ... ? I would like to have something with a few more facts and pictures that my kids could use to learn a little more about each president. Nothing too deep. I looked on Amazon but some of the reviews for the ones I looked at mentioned that they were biased.
I have a little book I got a Target in their $1 bins. It just has the president's in order, with their photos and the years they were in office, their party, their home state, their wife's name, and the years they lived. Under that is a few facts like a nick name they had, their face is on a bill , they never voted till their own election, or they were the shortest president in office. It is basic and not in-depth. I haven't read the entire thing, but to me it is a simple "just the facts" book from what I've read.

Here is the name of it copied and pasted from Amazon. So, if you search for exactly, it should come up. It is a very small blue book.
Presidents of the United States Reading Discovery Level 3 Reader (Fast Facts Book)

Hope you find something that works for you!
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

Julie in MN

Re: Children's book of presidents?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:22 pm

I posted books we used here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 837#p44751

I'm not sure that any history books have no bias, but certainly some have more than others. I was teaching a 7th grader then, and I had time to chat about everything, so I probably didn't make note of any biases. You'd probably have to look up reviews to see whether the books we used fit you, or whether the age level matches your kids. But I know we had fun with some of them.

Julie

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Heather, I forgot we own that book. Duh! Thanks for the reminder. :-)

Julie, I am going to look into some of the books you mentioned in your link. I think I'll request a few from the library and decide which one/ones we like best. The First Pets book is one that would definitely appeal to my dd. Thank you for the link. :-)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:18 pm

We're doing Ex1850 right now, too. We are in Week 29 and just finished studying Van Buren. For some quick and interesting facts, I have found a couple of books I like.

One, I checked out from our library. It is called Three Presidents Died on the Fourth of July and Other Freaky Facts About the First 25 Presidents, by Barbara Seuling. I really like this little volume that is just a list of interesting facts about each president. Not too much text and not too overwhelming with information. There are anywhere from 4-10 facts about each president. There is another volume which covers the 26th-44th presidents.

Another book I like is called Wooden Teeth & Jelly Beans, by Ray Nelson, Douglas Kelly, Ben Adams, and Mike McLane. This is a book I've had on my shelf for a number of years, so I don't know how easy it is to get ahold of. Mine is so old that the last president in it is Clinton. Anyway, this book also has some fun, interesting facts about each president and is not too overwhelming with text. Very user-friendly.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:21 am

We have The Complete Book of Presidents and States. I can't address whether it is biased or not as we haven't used it yet but it is a nice overview of each president and state. It also has information on government.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6