EX-1850 - Weeks 18, 19, & 20 (including the Revolutionary War)

If you are using Exploration to 1850, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

EX-1850 - Weeks 18, 19, & 20 (including the Revolutionar

Unread post by Marie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:37 am

EX-1850 - Weeks 18, 19, & 20 (including the Revolutionary War).

cbollin

Weeks 18 & 20: EX1850 book basket plan ahead

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:02 am

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:57 pm

Just a quick note here for anyone using EX1850. I was at first overwhelmed by the amount of recommedations in week 18 book basket.

I was glad to see that this particular extensive list is to be used in weeks 18 and 20. Just didn't want anyone to get as overwhelmed as I did this morning at the library. :)

--crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:05 pm

(1) Daniel Boone song
I couldn't resist. Maybe it dates me, but I had to sing the Daniel Boone theme song :o) You can find an audio on Youtube.

(2) Daniel Boone book basket
Daniel Boone
by James Daugherty
This is a starred book for week 18, and it was especially fun! I am definitely NOT a dyed-in-the-wool Daugherty fan, but *mom* really enjoyed this one :o) I probably appreciated more of the language and humor than my son, although he liked & understood it just fine. [edited to add: we never finished it, but enjoyed the first part]

It begins with a little ode to the "pioneer babies" who settled the west in their 3-cornered pants :o) When you think of dozens of families like the Boones with their 11 kids, it probably would seem like a baby takeover more than an adult expedition!

And I like the way that the book simply includes Biblical stories in the everyday conversation of those days.

(3) Audio listening
I so love that Marie has included information on the song Yankee Doodle and the poem about Paul Revere this week. These details make history so much more memorable.

A nice extra for us was to listen to audio recordings of these -- as well as of Patrick Henry's speech which we read about this week. At least for my son, hearing a good song or speech brings the stories to life!

Yankee Doodle: Wee Sing America

Patrick Henry's "give me liberty or give me death":
http://www.history.org/Almanack/people/ ... cfm#speech
Or CurrClick also sells audio speeches like this for a dollar or two, including a reenactment of Patrick Henry's speech.

Paul Revere: I didn't find much online that I liked, although there were many recordings of the poem by school children who had memorized it & reenactments of the poem using everything from illustrations to Legos - those ideas might be fun for some families.

(4) Video
Benjamin Rush is also on the Drive Thru History DVD, and as far as the character lessons in that series, Rush is given highest marks.

(5) Notebooking
Week 18 says to add to the summary each day for the next few weeks. Maybe it will help someone if I share a "cheat sheet" we came up with for the things we learned during these weeks in EX1850? (7th grader)

The Revolution Begins
* Samuel and John Adams 1765 different reactions to the Stamp Act
* Continental Congress 1774 & 1775
* Patrick Henry in 1775, Give me liberty, or give me death!
* Peter Muhlenberg in 1775
* Paul Revere & the Minutemen in 1775, One if by land, two if by sea! The British are coming!
* The Battle of Bunker Hill 1775
* Thomas Paine in 1776

The American Revolution
* John Hancock in 1776
* Nathan Hale in 1776, I only regret that I have but one life to give my country!
* The Flag 1777
* Lafayette in 1777
* Benjamin Rush, American Surgeon-General in 1777
* France Joins in 1778
* 1779 John Paul Jones aka Father of the American Navy, I have not yet begun to fight!
* Benedict Arnold in 1780
* The War Ends 1783

(Washington, Franklin, & the Declaration of Independence had their own pages.)

(6) Extra idea - comparison
Last summer, I had printed out this page, comparing Benedict Arnold to Judas:
http://highland.hitcho.com.au/arnoldjudas.pdf

However, as we worked through weeks 18-20, I decided that I'd rather have my 7th grader compare Benedict Arnold to Nathan Hale. One was considered a traitor by the union and the other was considered a traitor by Britain. Were they the same? We read a little bit extra in book basket & the encyclopedia. The comparison led to a great discussion with my 7th grader.

And then I just took a black marker & changed the name on the Venn diagram that I had printed out. Here is what he came up with, and there was even more to our discussion.

Arnold:
* wishes he had more power
* could've watched America burn
* decided to betray (his own idea)
* ran when plot was found

Hale:
* wishes he could've died more for his country
* was asked to betray (by his leader, Washington)
* didn't lie when his plot was found (was hung)

Both:
* traitor
* officer

(7) Silly reading technique
Week 20, day 3, we read the chapter on "Money." As I started to read, I paused just before saying the word "money" and gestured ds to fill in the obvious blank -- "Money!" We were having fun so we kept it up throughout the whole chapter, where I would pause every time I was about to say "money" and he would fill in the word. Even if the book said "it" or sometimes if the book didn't really say money in the sentence but just was talking about money more generally, I would make a spot for ds to say "Money!"

It made the information in the chapter more memorable :o)
Last edited by Julie in MN on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

dhudson

Re: EX-1850 - Weeks 18, 19, & 20 (including the Revolutionary Wa

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Just a recommendation for "School House Rocks". My kids enjoyed watching the video after studying the Declaration of Ind and the Constitution.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Toni@homezcool4us

Expl to 1850 (fun review of Revolution)

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:08 am

My kids got a huge kick out of the Schoolhouse Rock Revolutionary war song this morning. Served as a fun review. You can find it here.
http://www.gamequarium.org/cgi-bin/sear ... gi?id=3791
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

cbollin

Re: EX-1850 - Weeks 18, 19, & 20 (including the Revolutionar

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:31 pm

For jr. high students using the Progeny Press Guide for Johnny Tremain,....

in chapt 4 of PP guide, this map may be helpful for the map work for colonial map.

http://www.econed.org/userfiles/files/d ... remain.pdf

then, use your favorite modern map (road atlas or online) for modern.

Cyndi (AZ)

Ex to 1850.? Read Carry on M. Bowditch before JohnnyTrem

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:11 pm

hsmom wrote:I have read both books to myself before and plan on reading/ listening to both for my boys this year, but I'm not sure which to do first. I don't remember if Mr. Bowditch had much about the Revolutionary war or not. I was thinking of doing it first (in weeks 14-16), then doing Johnny Tremain(week 17 or 18 until we finish it). Both are listed in week 18 with all the Revolutionary war stuff. Does that sound good?
hmm - I plan on reading Johnny Tremain first and then Carry on, Mr. Bowditch because of their time periods. But I could easily be wrong! I'm waiting to see who else chimes in here. ;)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

hsmom

Re: Ex to 1850.? Read Carry on M. Bowditch before JohnnyTrem

Unread post by hsmom » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:17 pm

When I planned to do this weeks ago I decided to do Mr. Bowditch first. I don't remember why. Maybe time periods. I looked at the book basket list today and saw them both listed in the 18th week. I don't remember if there was much about the revolution in Mr Bowditch. Maybe someone can refresh my memory. But JOhnny Tremain definitely fits in with the R war. So I decided to put JTremain where it would match up with the R. war, and I put M Bowditch where there was an empty spot (weeks 14-16). But I'm not sure, so ready for any opinions.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Here is a summary from my reader who read it this past year:

Mr. Bowditch figured out a new way to determine longitude at sea using mathematics for navigation. He discovered this new way to determine longitude by accident. Latitude was already discovered. He told the captain very rudely about his new discovery of determining longitude. His discovery did work. Once he taught the crew his new discovery they were able to sail zig zag using his mathematics.

Mr. Bowditch graduated from Harvard without ever setting a foot into their college classrooms. His father's ship was wrecked the same day as the first day of the war of 1812. It was mostly placed at sea with various ports; including the large port of Salem and ports in Asia.

I haven't read the book, but my reader tends to remember books that he reads. I hope this helps some.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:57 pm

gratitude wrote:Mr. Bowditch graduated from Harvard without ever setting a foot into their college classrooms. His father's ship was wrecked the same day as the first day of the war of 1812.
I think this is key. The Revolutionary War started, of course, in 1776. Mr. Bowditch didn't do a lot that he's famous for until the 1800s. So Mr. Bowditch would be after the Rev. and in fact, the improvements in navigation wouldn't be there to affect the Rev. War.

However, I always think of him along with "explorers," as one of the "age of shipping" guys, which would be big even before 1776. That might not make sense as far as his living in the U.S. or navigation improvements not in existence in the 15-1700s, but it would make a certain amount of sense in my own brain LOL.

I don't think you can go wrong if you do one first or the other, but I don't think I'd read Bowditch during the Rev. War studies, because there are so many other things to learn about when you're on that topic.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

hsmom

Unread post by hsmom » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks for the help. I've decided to do whichever ends up being more convenient at the time. From your responses and what I've been able to figure out, it could go before or after, but I'm sticking with Johnny Tremain for during the Revolutionary War study.

1acoyle3

Unread post by 1acoyle3 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:25 pm

They are both wonderful books, but I agree with the previous posters. Johnny Tremain first, then Carry on Mr. Bowditch based on historical time periods. :) I have heard that you can get Johnny Tremain as an audio book, but we have read it both times. It is long...but worth it!

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:05 pm

hsmom wrote:I don't usually plan much ahead. It's just that the Revolutionary war is one of my favorite time periods(along with pilgrims and pioneers), so I wanted to scope out the books available and plan what to read when. I may even stretch out some of those weeks so I can fit in more read alouds and extra resources.
Plus I still have the books from Adventures. My youngest is older than the suggested 2-3rd grade, but I think I liked both The Courage of Sarah Noble and The Sarah Witcher Story, so I'll be adding those to the next few weeks. I should drag out that whole group of books to see what else I might have forgotten.
Same story here - my only dd and I both love the Revolution! I've already got all of the ADV books out on the shelf next to our EX1850 books and have a plan to stretch certain weeks out for extra reading. :-) I'm having my 6th grade dd read Squanto as her reading time right now, following the supplement guide in the TM. I've been looking forward to teaching this year since ECC!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

MelissaB

For You They Signed

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:53 am

Each chapter in the book For You They Signed by Marilyn Boyer is a brief biography of each of the Declaration of Independence signers, the battles they faced and sacrifices they made, followed by a brief character study.

We found it at our library, and will have to purchase a copy for home.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

klewfor3

Thomas Jefferson

Unread post by klewfor3 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:39 am

We were reading the president card for Thomas Jefferson and saw that he was pictured on the $2 bill. My son had one that his grandpa gave him and it was really interesting to see! It also had a picture of the signing of the declaration on the back. We made a copy and attached it to the notebook in page (hopefully legal to do! ;)). Worth seeing if you happen to have one or maybe google it?
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)