EX-1850 - Weeks 15, 16, & 17

If you are using Exploration to 1850, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

EX-1850 - Weeks 15, 16, & 17

Unread post by Marie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:37 am

EX-1850 - Weeks 15, 16, & 17.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:42 pm

(1) Notebooking
For notebooking in Week 15, which is scheduled every day, we started 2 pages. Ds added bits to either one or both every day, and he finished them in Week 16, as the same topics continued into the first 2 days of Week 16 (even though notebooking is not scheduled at all that week).

Wars That Affected the Colonies
- 3 Pointless Wars (1689-1743)
- The French & Indian War (1756-1763)

George Washington's Early Life
Born 1732
Married 1759

In Week 16, he made another page. Since we are doing our year from January to January, we are not needing the "Christmas break" that is probably allowed for during these weeks (!) & are continuing to notebook almost daily, as in earlier weeks. It may be because I've spent a lot of time in CA, but I find the West Coast missions to be an interesting addition alongside the developing East Coast. The names of so many well-known cities take on a Christian flavor. Ds even reviewed one of his pages from RTR - on St. Frances, namesake for San Francisco. (I don't think that was an RTR assignment, but I often gave ds the option of making a page or doing an Art Project -- I think St. Frances was one of those pages.) For those who live in California, I know the Public Television station produced a series on the mission bells that I very much enjoyed while visiting my grandmother a few years ago.

Spanish Missions of California
1769-1823

Also, The Last 500 Years has a good map to help remember the areas of Spanish colonization, as well (page 31).

(2) DVD idea
Drive-Thru History America has a segment on George Washington. We watched the first half of it in Week 16, and will watch the second half when he becomes president (Week 21). It wasn't quite as goofy as the Ben Franklin one, and seemed to reinforce most of what we've been learning. It even had the "cherry tree story" which wasn't really in our formal studies (besides book basket).

(3) Book idea
A book that surprisingly deals with the French & Indian war is "The Indian in the Cupboard." It is not Christian but does include some moral soul-searching and values exploration. Progeny Press has a study guide that might also provide guidance in using this book, if you wanted to be sure. But it is not for families who prefer not to read fantasy literature, because it concerns a cupboard where a little toy Indian comes to life. My oldest son especially dearly loved this book.

(4) Sampler activity resources
There are lots of links online for free sampler patterns. Here is a simple page for younger kids based on real samplers from the 1700s and 1800s:
http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/CrossSti ... imals.html

Here's one that generates a pattern from any word you type in (such as your name!) -- the letters are celtic so you can adapt the design as needed:
http://www.celticxstitch.ie/cgi-bin/stitches.cgi

Here's one we didn't use but you can put your name or initials to create letters with bluebirds:
http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/CrossSti ... birds.html

We were very happy to have the optional idea of printing these on graph paper this week, since we all have bad colds in our house right now. However, I wanted to mention that I would not be afraid to do the actual stitching activity with a boy. As I explained to ds, boys had to be able to repair things on their own when necessary.

About a year ago when ds was 11, our co-op had all the kids learn stitching one month and the boys were all interested. I still have the little sampler ds made on my dresser, which says "happy bday" if you look carefully LOL

So samplers are a good gift idea, too!

(5) Art - Audubon extra
I was happy to see Audubon included as one of the American artists we study in GHA. Instead of trying to draw like Audubon, I printed out this black-n-white image of one of Audubon's "Trumpeter Swans" and ds painted it in watercolor, trying to match the color using the second link below:
http://gardenofpraise.com:80/images2/bicolr30.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image ... on-001.jpg

Then he gave it a title & it became a history page!
Audubon American Artist, 1785-1851

Another idea I read by a homeschool mom called "Harmony Art Mom" suggests putting the artist you are studying as wallpaper on your computer for the week, or creating an art notebook of printouts. Here is her suggestion for Audubon: http://nature.gardenweb.com/birds/browsec/

Also, Dover has an inexpensive Audubon coloring book, as well as a more expensive book & CD of Audubon prints. Even the sample pages of that one are pretty to look at.

And, God's World News online archives has an Audubon unit. If you go to either page (grades K-3 or 4-9), then click on the link for teacher resources and there is another picture-related activity. Not sure if you have to be a subscriber.
http://www.gwnews.com/biographies/lower ... 09&week=32

Also, the Audubon Society has a nice collection of his paintings online, if you hunt around long enough (their society now is more about conservation, I think).
http://web4.audubon.org/bird/BoA/BOA_index.html

(6)Week 17 - Mozart - Classical Music Review - optional CD
* Lives of the Musicians on audio CD - If you don't have the CD from RTR on hand, my library had this one, which included short biographies of Mozart & Beethoven. It was recommended (in book form) on the book basket lists for CTG and/or RTR.

* If you don't have the RTR CDs, then I would still search the library or online to listen to some of Mozart's well-loved pieces, which your dc may well have heard in movies & such. (Movies that feature Mozart music would include Amadeus of course, plus Fame, Trading Places, Mash, Out of Africa, etc.) Some of our favorite pieces to look for are: A Little Night Music (Eine Kleine Nachtmusik), Requiem (the funeral piece he was writing when he died), and many famous operas (The Magic Flute, The Marriage of Figaro, Don Giovanni).

* Mozart also wrote a Clarinet Concerto, if you would like to introduce the sound of that instrument to your children.

* The World's Very Best Opera for Kids... in English!. A fun way to listen to operas, including 4 from Mozart.
Note: Although my favorite song on this CD is called "Figaro," it isn't the Mozart Figaro. It's actually a pre-quel to Mozart's opera & is by a different composer; that's the one that has the famous line, "Figaro, Figaro, Figaro!" (It's The Barber of Seville by Rossini, which is also in English translation here: http://music.minnesota.publicradio.org/ ... erseville/ ) Lots of silly stuff :-)
Last edited by Julie in MN on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:02 am, edited 9 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

dhudson

Re: EX-1850 - Weeks 15, 16, & 17

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:06 pm

Just a bit of a warning - we got "Indian and the Cupboard" on an Audio CD and there was tons of swearing, several d words and h words interspersed. We enjoyed the story line but it would have been much better to use as a read aloud where I was able to monitor the language.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Poohbee

EX1850--Johnny Cakes and Scones

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:44 pm

I just have to say THANK YOU to Marie for the wonderful hands-on activities and yummy recipes she has included in the TMs. We are in Week 16 in our study of Exploration to 1850. Today, we made scones, and last week, we made Johnny cakes. My girls had fun baking scones today. They did it all by themselves, and I just supervised and helped a little. It was a good opportunity to teach them how to cut butter into a flour mixture with a pastry blender. They loved the scones! (They weren't fond of the Johnny cakes). :-)

When I told my mom about what we've been making, she said she thinks it is so neat...the variety of things I am teaching my girls. I told her, well, I probably wouldn't have even thought of it, but it was right there in my teacher's manual. :-) I am thankful for those little things that help to bring history (and other subjects) to life for my girls. (I have a feeling that whenever my girls read or hear about scones from now on, they will remember making them and eating them during our study of the American Revolution). The recipes are simple and right there in the manual. I don't have to go searching for recipes and ideas. Thank you to Marie and everyone who has had a hand in writing and developing the My Father's World curriculum! What a blessing it is to me and to my family!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Joyhomeschool

Re: EX1850--Johnny Cakes and Scones

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:56 am

Our kids love it too! And I love that its not complicated and usually she has scheduled a lighter day the day of a project, making it more doable,
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:56 pm

I agree! And a big thank you from our family to Marie and all those who have put in the hard work, so I can spend more time enjoying learning with my children!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:26 am

I whole-heartedly agree. We love the cooking projects! We may skip some of the projects, but usually NOT the cooking ones. We love to eat! ;) :-) Not only eat, but we like to try new things and love trying new foods that go along with what we are learning. We did the ANZAC biscuits (1850-Mod) yesterday. It really brought home (for me, at least) the impact of war (WWI) on families. I have 4 boys and I can just imagine those mothers lovingly baking those cookies to send to their sons and the prayers that most certainly went along with them.

It was also recommended to bake them and send them along with a note of gratitude to a veteran. We plan to do that for my dad, who served in Vietnam, and one of my sons had the idea to call our church to see if we could get names of veterans within our church that we could do that for. What a great project to accompany learning about war, appreciating and thanking those who have served us and our country and at great cost!

Oh, and yes, we really enjoyed our scones and tea when we did EXP1850! We were also fond of the Johnnycakes! Yummy!

Thank you, Marie, and My Father' s World for enriching our homeschool experience with your curriculum and these projects!

Amy C.

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:53 pm

I love the cooking projects also.... they really add to the "flavor" ;) of the time period we are studying. It's a great way to break from routine and bring back to mind the freedom and fun we have in homeschooling. I'm so thankful for the fun ideas.

To Amy: I just wanted to say that the idea of sending the cookies to veterans is wonderful. My Dad is a Vietnam veteran and I know that if he received a package of cookies from someone he didn't know, to thank him for his service (which at the time was so thankless), he would be so grateful and so moved! Get that list from your church and do it! :-)
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!