General ideas for science: Plants/Botany

If you are using Exploration to 1850, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

General ideas for science: Plants/Botany

Unread post by Marie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:37 am

General ideas for science: Plants/Botany.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:19 pm

We didn't use Botany because ds is ready to move on to Junior High science. However, when we used Astonomy in RTR, we found that Jeannie Fulbright & Apologia offer several helpful resources. I'm sure the same applies to Botany:

The front of the Apologia textbook tells how to access the book extras on their website.
Those include:
* a list of errata
* links
* free notebook pages

Jeannie has her own website,
with free notebooking pages
http://www.jeanniefulbright.com/notebookpages.html

and a page about doing Botany in cold climates:
http://www.jeanniefulbright.citymax.com/botanycold.html

There is a Yahoo group with lots of "Files" at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elem_Apologia_Science/
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:21 pm

Some ideas I saved from Jeannie Fulbright's newsletter & Yahoo group. These relate to the Botany study, which we didn't use as ds will be using 7th grade science instead, but they seemed like good stuff at the time :o)

------------------------------
ONLINE YAHOO NOTEBOOKING PGS:
https://apologia.securesites.net/pdfs/n ... tebook.pdf?

The botany book notebook pages are set up according to the notebooking assignments. For example, if they are going to label something, I put that on the notebook page for that lesson. At the bottom of each page is the lesson with which that page corresponds. On page 35, there is a lined page that you can print if they run out of room when writing. Also, following that page are a bunch of random notebooking-type pages with different designs. You can use those instead of the pages that represent each lesson, or you can use those when you child reads something else, goes on a nature walk or watches a video related to botany. Anytime your child learns something from another source, it's always a good idea to have them make a notebook page on the subject so they won't forget. If you go to the botanical gardens, you could print up a few notebook pages, and carry them along with a clipboard.

The seed packet template is included in Lesson 2, so you can print it out and cut it out instead of having to draw your own. Also included at the end is a Scientific Speculation Sheet from the botany book to be used when conducting experiments.

Encourage your child to decorate their notebook pages with borders and drawings to personalize them.

Warmly,
Jeannie
...botany lends itself to deeper study - flower family identification, gardening, studying the different soil types, etc.
Jeannie
IF YOU HAVE A MICROSCOPE:
...with botany, there are several things you can do. You can get down to the cellular level, looking at cell walls. You can explain that plants have cell walls (animals do not). Onions are perfect for showing cell walls. When you study pollination, you can experiment by putting pollen on a slide and then dropping a solution of sugar water onto the pollen and watching the little pollen particles grow long tails! Pollen is easy to find (you'll learn all about that in the botany course). You'll need to keep checking back on the pollen as it takes a few hours for the tails to elongate. With the leaves, you can look at the stomata up-close. How fun! You can also examine the tiny venation of the leaves through a microscope. That is only four of several different things you can do with a microscope and botany. As I go through the book to plan out co op ideas, I'll keep my mind open to microscope ideas and report back to you. Have you students draw a rendition of what they observed for their notebooks. You'll have a blast with a microscope! What kind did you purchase, where and why? I'm sure others would love to hear about your experience.

Warmly,
Jeannie
SCIENCE FAIR IDEAS
There are several in the botany book, and, in fact, the last experiment is recommended as a great science fair project (we did it at our science fair). Every experiment in the zoology book would be great for a science fair. In the zoology book, I explain in more detail what the elements of a good science experience are.

Warmly,
Jeannie

"...my 9 yr old dd is doing the light hut for her homeschool science fair project We will be bringing the light hut(with squash, chamomile, lavender, parsley and catnip) to display and a display board with her worksheets and a couple other drawings she did. We're also in the process of doing the 3 bag experiment with hypothesis sheet and will display that also along with the seed growth charts for all three bags."

That experiment accurately uses the scientific method, with controls (same: bag, seeds, moisture) variables (closet, fridge, window), and a measuring device. It conforms to the components necessary to enter the national science fair competition (although you would need a log book and a research paper as well). I think you'll have a great time at the fair!

You could still make soap if you ran to Michael's and bought the melt and pour soap they have, and then ran to Home Depot and bought a Rosemary plant. You could make some really neat herbal soap with oats (not quick oats), rosemary chopped up and melt and pour soap. They even have cute little soap molds at Michael's that are not that expensive. And I love the idea of making herbal tea!

Warmly,
Jeannie
MEMORY AIDS
...we want these terms to stick with the kids...
any ideas on visual flashcards of botany?
Here's what we have so far...

KINGDOM we drew a crown with flowers and leaves coming out of the top to remember the plantae kingdom.(the boys loved this!)

PHYLUM we drew a file cabinet. 2 drawers (class-bell and order)

ORDER we drew ABC 123...

FAMILY obvious ...family stick figures

GENUS (jeans) used denim pocket rubber stamp and wrote GENUS over the pocket.

I can't figure out a visula for SPECIES...any ideas?
Thanks, Lisa Dickinson

How about using the word "special". Because species are special--unique. As a visual you might think of the "special" at McDonalds (burger, fries, drink) or any thing that brings "special" to mind for your guys.
(author?)

Lucy

Science - Botany resource is MFW-K board!

Unread post by Lucy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:57 am
There are ideas on the K board that would apply to year 4 and the science in the 2nd half of the year (botany).

I thought some of you doing year 4 may be interested in this. Check out the post under "Leaf" for a FREE resource to homeschoolers from International Paper and thanks Texas Gal!

Lucy

cbollin

Apologia Botany - where to get light socket & plug?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:05 am

Winni wrote:This might sound like a dumb question...but where in the world do I get a light socket and plug to do the Light Hut (p. 17) in Exploring Creation with Botany? Do I really need to? Thanks!
We altered our "light hut" and went with a chia herb garden. probably too late to find those right now.

It is optional of course and doesn't "have" to be done. It is the "big" project in the botany book.

other ideas
what about a hardware store??

you could consider ordering the kit for this book from a place like Nature's Workshop Plus

or check the front of the Botany book for other retailers who carry the kits. I didn't get the kit, but some people find it just easier to get those. I have this half memory that one of the links in the botany book had a way to buy just a light hut..... I wouldn't trust my brain for that.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tracey in ME

Re: Apologia Botany - where to get light socket & plug?

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:10 am

We could just grow herbs in the window...
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

cbollin

apologia botany module 2

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:22 pm

Module 2, MFW lesson plans (current) say to use an "uncooked egg"

this is a typo and should say cooked.

cbollin

Exploration to 1850 - Apologia Botany question

Unread post by cbollin » Tue May 17, 2011 6:42 am

jmjohans wrote:I'm hoping that someone who has used this program could tell me if any of the student sheets are for science, specifically the Apologia Botany book. I noticed that Apologia makes a Notebooking Journal to accompany the botany textbook and I'm considering purchasing it unless there are already notebooking pages included in the student sheets.

Also, if anyone has actually used the Apologia Notebooking Journal, I'd love to hear how you liked it. Thanks :)
the student sheets do not include Apologia Botany notebooking. There are science sheets in the EX1850 student sheets, but those are for first semester with the World of Animals books. other pages in student sheets are history and state study.

I'm getting ready to do EX1850 for the second time. Five years ago, when we first did it... we just made our own notebooks from a composition book (you know, the ones you find at school supply sales), and lots of digital camera pictures. We did our nature journal from Botany on unlined paper (think copier paper).

You can buy the extra notebooks if that helps, but I found it easier not to do that. and then this year with RTR, we're doing our own paper. Making the notebook per the instructions in the text itself.

-crystal

s_duguid

Re: Exploration to 1850 - Apologia Botany question

Unread post by s_duguid » Tue May 17, 2011 7:25 am

For RtR this year, I purchased the notebooking journals to accompany anatomy and astronomy. They are really nice, but . . . am not going to purchase one for botany next year. Why? Mostly because the minibooks all start looking and feeling the same and I want to keep things fresh from year to year.

I did notice that the Apologia website has some free downloadable notebook pages as an option to "dress-up" your own notebooking pages. I may use those next year.

The other thing I wanted to mention after using the journals this year is to be selective in what pages you do. It can be a lot and quite repetitious. I gave in to NOT having dd write down fascinating facts as she was reading, because those same things ended up on the review questions and then were copied again in minibooks. We occasionally did the crossword puzzles. I chose to use the handwriting practice, and she did all the minibooks. There are also great resource ideas for additional reading, dvds, and experiments after each lesson, but again, something else has to give in the overall scheme of things if you add them in.

But for the price, I thought it was very reasonable to have the pre-printed pages for the activities and review questions at the end of each chapter and to have the very visual and well-done minibooks.

--Sue
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

jasntas

Re: Exploration to 1850 - Apologia Botany question

Unread post by jasntas » Tue May 17, 2011 11:37 am

There are also two different lapbook sources for this product. I don't know if the mini books in the notebooking journal are the same every time, that would definitely get monotonous, but there are sample pages you can view for one of the lapbook sources at currclick.com. The one Apologia Botany Lapbook sample pages you can view is published by A Journey Through Learning. The other lapbook source is published by Knowledge Box Central. Maybe one of these sources would help change it up a bit. Just an Idea for someone who's not there yet. HTH
s_duguid wrote:Just wanted to clarify, of the two notebooking journals we did this year, the minibooks were all different kinds and variations on a theme. Folding books, layered books, wheels, matchbox style, tabs. All visually pleasing, but still writing down summary info.
Thanks so much for clarifying this. :)

Some kids love the minibooks and such and some don't. For us, due to spelling/writing/reading issues, we actually use lapbook/minibook resources much of the time instead of notebooking and we have a lot less tears.

The other day when my two realized we were nearing the end of our ECC studies they became concerned that we would no longer be making lapbooks. I actually thought they may want to move on and do something different but this method seems to be their 'thing'. But it's not everyone's. (I do plan to continue to add in notebooking as we go along and skills increase.)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

MelissaB

Apologia without kits?

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Amy C. wrote:After reading Tammie's thread about whether to purchase the Astronomy kits or not ( http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =25#p88165 ), I remembered I have been meaning to ask about the Physical kit and Botany kit. Anybody buy these and think they were worth it?

We did Astronomy as a coop class this last semester. Sadly, I have to say that we did not do all the experiments (some but not all) for different reasons. The ones we did do, I found it easy to get the needed materials, but I can see where it would have been nice to have had some materials on hand through a kit.

Looking at Physical and Botany kits online, it looks like it might be worth it to get them, but they are pricey and we are doing both this next year. So, anybody have an opinion about them?

Amy C.
We've done both Apologia Astronomy and Botany. We did not purchase the kits for either, and we were able to do almost all of the experiments in both courses fine. Botany can easily be done without purchasing a kit. It's mostly beans, pine cones, leaves, ziploc bags, etc....

I think we've enjoyed studying botany this year more than we enjoyed astronomy because we can see, touch and feel what we've learned about. It's been a very interesting and fun course!

One thing we did that has added a lot to the course: we purchased a microscope.

Melissa

P.S. Here's a link to the Apologia website with a list of all the items needed for Botany experiments. :)
https://apologia.securesites.net/pdfs/l ... b1ed901064

If that doesn't get you there, go to this page: http://apologia.securesites.net/store/i ... ducts_id=2
and click on "LAB LIST BY MODULE" for a direct link.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

lee2

Re: Apologia kits

Unread post by lee2 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:23 am

Last edited by lee2 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

carlamom2ansnm

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:54 am

I love the individually labeled and packaged kits! I agree that it seems strange to have b baggies with things I could definitely provide, but it's so helpful for me to have it all there. I'm just paying for the convenience. It's not necessary at all, but I sure do love it.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:18 am

Just wanted to mention that for Astronomy, the RTR guide gives a simpler method of creating the planet model, which felt like the biggest project to me. Just in case that would affect anyone's decision...

Julie

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:38 pm

The individual labeled baggies is the way Creation Sensation does their kits as well. They have deluxe family supply kits and priority supply kits. The deluxe has even the most common items. The priority only has the more difficult to find items and includes a shopping list for the other items that would be needed for each lesson.

I also like the idea of possibly putting together my own kit ahead of time. Hmm...
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:52 pm

jasntas wrote: Creation Sensation
I think this was the website I looked at. Seems like at the time the General and Physical kits were to be added soon, but were not available at the time I was looking.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with and without kits. Making your own kit ahead of time seems interesting. I don't know, though. I'm kindof a week by week (sometimes day by day) kind of girl. We'll see how prepared I can be before our new school year starts. :-)

Amy C.

s_duguid

free apologia notebook pages

Unread post by s_duguid » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:33 pm

After talking to a lady at the CT convention, I had mentioned the link for free notebook pages for Botany and finding it on the message boards. Decided I should repost the link so those interested don't have to do a search. These are to "dress-up" your notebook pages. You still can use plain paper or even buy the journals, if you wish.

Botany pages: https://apologia.securesites.net/pdfs/n ... 174d102290

Main page-elementary science: http://www.apologia.com/store/index.php ... ex&cPath=1

Blessings!
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

MelissaB

Re: free apologia notebook pages

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Lovely!! Thank you, Sue. :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

lea_lpz

Silly carrot question

Unread post by lea_lpz » Mon May 13, 2013 11:04 pm

RB wrote:In Expl-1850 Botany study (week 26) there is a taproots experiment.
Should the carrots have green leafy tops on them?
Thanks
Yes, they should.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)